• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So here is a funny story. Back when I bought the Wii U Premium Pack I registered at Nintendo Network Premium (yeah, everyone forgot about that one, right?). Two days ago a mail from NNP (the first one ever afaik) popped up in my mailbox, telling me to use the codes until end of March. What codes lol?! Turns out I had a ¥1500 gift sitting there all the time waiting for me. Got me Bio Hazard Revelations for ¥1500 off the eShop for free that way hehe.

I really liked E.X. Troopers. Can't go wrong with that price imho.

Haha, similar situation here. I just got an email from Nintendo the other day that I had ¥2500 worth of coupons waiting this whole time. Totally forgot about the Wii U Premium model discount.

Haha, similar situation here. I just got an email from Nintendo the other day that I had ¥2500 worth of coupons waiting this whole time. Totally forgot about the Wii U Premium model discount.
Lol, even better! Yeah, it sure was a pleasant surprise.

I'd love to import the physical version, is it playable (and enjoyable) for someone who can't read a lick of japanese ?
Hmm.. I would say the language barrier is there, but it is low imho. Menus are easy to navigate and mission objectives are understandable, but you will miss out on the plot I guess. Watch a Let's Play video or two on YouTube and see for yourself if this is something you can/want to deal with. I would say go for it.

Yay, got up to 800 Club Nintendo points which I redeemed for the ¥4.000 reward. Going to get Xenoblade 3DS for free which would cost me ¥3.996 otherwise :).

wilflare

Many people in this thread do that all the time, myself included. I have nothing bad to say, big Tenso fan and user.

having some issues currently - bought a WiiU High Capacity Battery only for them to tell me they cant ship it unless UPS (they did not list it under their website)

now waiting for them to return it to Amazon and register the rest of my items

having some issues currently - bought a WiiU High Capacity Battery only for them to tell me they cant ship it unless UPS (they did not list it under their website)

http://www.tenso.com/en/guide/contraband/lithium.html
Actually they do say they can't ship via EMS for bare batteries, though it just says "other shipping services," only mentioning UPS in conjunction with "France, Germany, Italy and some other countries." Which I guess covers them but I can understand your frustration. I bought mine direct from Nintendo, sorry you didn't have that option available to you.

To be fair Tenso isn't the problem her but the japanese post office is. That's why they can't send it via EMS, which is a Japan Post service.

See here: http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/use/restriction/restriction02_en.pdf

wilflare

http://www.tenso.com/en/guide/contraband/lithium.html
Actually they do say they can't ship via EMS for bare batteries, though it just says "other shipping services," only mentioning UPS in conjunction with "France, Germany, Italy and some other countries." Which I guess covers them but I can understand your frustration. I bought mine direct from Nintendo, sorry you didn't have that option available to you.

To be fair Tenso isn't the problem her but the japanese post office is. That's why they can't send it via EMS, which is a Japan Post service.

See here: http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/use/restriction/restriction02_en.pdf

yea I missed out on that entirely - I just went to their prohibited items page and only saw like wet batteries and I thought I'm good.

You bought from NoA/NoE directly?

They can ship it via UPS to me but it's crazily expensive :/

I have asked them to return it to Amazon JP - just hope everything works out and I get my refund from Amazon JP

thanks folks

EDIT - anyone got thoughts on these kind of stylus?
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00O4WF7I0/

dani_dc

I just got myself a Japanese 3DS, saw this beauty at Shibuya for 4298 yen (after tax), and I couldn't resist, just the right price to justify having a second 3DS exclusively for Japanese titles.

nMqu8Nh.jpg

E0LF2tZ.jpg

Lw9KwPm.jpg

mnQnAf0.jpg

E2cPON5.jpg
I'll have to check this thread in more detail tomorrow, but I wanted to share the pictures before sleeping, so excited!

I just got myself a Japanese 3DS, saw this beauty at Shibuya for 4298 yen (after tax), and I couldn't resist, just the right price to justify having a second 3DS exclusively for Japanese titles.

I'll have to check this thread in more detail tomorrow, but I wanted to share the pictures before sleeping, so excited!

Holy crap that's a good price. Which store in Shibuya?!

dani_dc

Holy crap that's a good price. Which store in Shibuya?!

Tsutaya (B2 floor) on the "specia salesl" section.

There were 2 fake boxes remaining when I left, no idea if that's an accurate representation of their stock though.

It really is, I even went online to ask a friend to read me the ad to be sure I wasn't missing any type of special condition.

G.O.O.

Actually, your post was sent to me by a friend whose account hasn't been approved yet, I just realized that it was a while ago. So I think the codes are gone, yes (just tried two of them, but eh)

If you can get another one, I'm interested, yes :)

dani_dc

Any recommendations for games to practice basic Japanese on? I'm fine with Hiragana, and some basic Kanji (I'd say I'm comfortable with reading maybe 150 Kanjis).

Also, how's Senran Kagura 2? I've seen the special edition for cheap in a few stores and was tempted on it.

Can't forget to pick up E.X. Troopers today or tomorrow.

My copy of Dragon Quest Theatrhythm should be arriving today.
From what I played of the demo, it is a lot like Final Fantasy, but the battles are vertical instead of horizontal.

Edit: Now that I played it, the mission mode is very unique. You do it to unlock songs.

Any recommendations for games to practice basic Japanese on? I'm fine with Hiragana, and some basic Kanji (I'd say I'm comfortable with reading maybe 150 Kanjis).

Also, how's Senran Kagura 2? I've seen the special edition for cheap in a few stores and was tempted on it.

Can't forget to pick up E.X. Troopers today or tomorrow.

I just got it and haven't played it but I heard the ドラもじ game is good.

I recently posted this in response to a similar question in the Japanese learning thread

Honestly, prepare yourself for a real struggle when playing games in Japanese. The average Japanese second grader is going to have a vocabulary much much larger than you're likely to have without at least three years of language study, so expect to be using the dictionary a lot. Moreover, the grammar will often be above your understanding. I find that by the end of Genki 2, or JLPT N4, you have enough working grammar to understand 95% of what's said in non-RPGs/VNs (but nowhere near enough vocabulary). Until you've gotten your studies to that level it's going to be immensely frustrating, as you'll be dealing with both grammar and vocabulary you don't understand.

Until your grammar skills are stronger, you may want to just play some really simple games where you don't need to read in order to progress, and just get some repetition from reading level select and menu screens.

That said, some games are really excellent for acquiring and reinforcing vocabulary if you're willing and able to stick with it.

Harvest Moon may be good, but I don't know if they actually have Furigana. The newest one doesn't, I'm pretty sure.

Animal Crossing has furigana and you can pick up a ton of vocabulary from all the items and neighbors. Be warned that very few of them speak "textbook Japanese" so you'll be dealing with a lot of casual speech and different "accents." You can get by pretty well without understanding everything though, so it's a pretty good immersion game.

Yokai Watch is pretty good too. Lots of dialogue, aimed at kids so it's very simple, and the game is dead easy so you don't need to put too much time into understanding the tutorial popups if you don't want to.

TLDR: Play games with no "required" reading for now, get Animal Crossing if you want a challenge.

It really depends on your vocabulary and grammar knowledge, as well as your tolerance for constantly pausing the game to look up new words (or just leaving them unknown).

dani_dc

Anyone here played Island Days?

I just got it and haven't played it but I heard the ドラもじ game is good.

Hm, I'll look into the game, not quite sure it's what I want (That seems focused on the language itself, while I was hoping more of regular games with simple japanese).

I recently posted this in response to a similar question in the Japanese learning thread

It really depends on your vocabulary and grammar knowledge, as well as your tolerance for constantly pausing the game to look up new words (or just leaving them unknown).

Thanks, that's a very helpful post.

I think I have a decent grammar base at this point, vocabulary will probably be the biggest issue, I was learning a good pace but in the last 4-5 weeks (since I came to japan) I basically haven't done much since my time got cut short between work and visiting places in my free time. Going to pick myself up again.

I don't quite mind stopping the game to check a dictionary often if needed be, at this point I really just want to start practicing Japanese in an actual context instead of going through list of words without applying it to anything.

Animal Crossing actually sounds like a nice idea in that sense, though I'm not the biggest fan of the series, still, it might be a good game to look into.

Aizo

Banned
Theatrhythm Dragon Quest worth it? I liked the demo, but it doesn't seem like there are a ton of songs.
I guess it depends on how much free DLC is done.

Anyone here played Island Days?

Hm, I'll look into the game, not quite sure it's what I want (That seems focused on the language itself, while I was hoping more of regular games with simple japanese).

Thanks, that's a very helpful post.

I think I have a decent grammar base at this point, vocabulary will probably be the biggest issue, I was learning a good pace but in the last 4-5 weeks (since I came to japan) I basically haven't done much since my time got cut short between work and visiting places in my free time. Going to pick myself up again.

I don't quite mind stopping the game to check a dictionary often if needed be, at this point I really just want to start practicing Japanese in an actual context instead of going through list of words without applying it to anything.

Animal Crossing actually sounds like a nice idea in that sense, though I'm not the biggest fan of the series, still, it might be a good game to look into.

Yeah, どうぶつの森 is pretty much perfect for upper-beginner/lower-intermediate learners if you can stick with it. Unfortunately I played New Leaf to death when it first came out in English, so it doesn't hold my attention too well.

Yokai Watch is fantastic for "real world" Japanese, actually. There are tons of conversations in the game and they're really natural. Of course there are also conversations about ghosts and monsters, but even those are often educational (politeness levels and social dynamics), and the Yokai names make for great mnemonic material. Highly recommended.

Fantasy Life is also a goldmine of conversations and vocabulary, but it throws A LOT at you and can be incredibly overwhelming. I'd do Yokai Watch and Animal Crossing for now and pick up Fantasy Life once you're feeling confident and want to dump a truckload of esoteric vocabulary into your lap.

After today's Nintendo Direct, my Japanese imports for this year are:

Dai Gyakuten Saiban (Limited Edition)
Fire Emblem if (both versions)
Girls Mode 3
Bravely Second (already had the LE preordered for over a month)
Youkai Watch 3 (not in the direct but we know it's coming)

Will likely be adding more to this list as time goes

Definitely getting Rhythm Heaven (with bonus microfiber pouch from Amazon)!

I reeeeaaaally want to get that Limited Edition Fire Emblem If, but I know that my Japanese won't get that much better in the next three months...

I might do it anyway, and just be ready to consult a dictionary once (or five times) per text box.

Similarly conflicted about 犬 er, I mean, 大逆転裁判, but I'm fairly sure that would just be an incredible amount of frustration.

Aizo

Banned
Same as above. I think Fire Emblem will be an all right challenge, but I don't think I'm ready for the new 逆転..

Impotaku

Liking the look of the 2 new streetpass games, will give me something new to use thoses passes on. Glad to see rhythm tengoku now has a release date and also seems to have a lot of content in the game inclusing what appears to be a story mode YAY.

kubus

Haha, thanks Duckroll for the new thread title :D I like it!

edit: Anyone know when the new streetpass games become available? Really loved the little trailer for them and since I'm in Japan now, I'm getting tons of streetpass hits.

Impotaku

Kind of curious abiut the animal crossing home designer, wonder if it's a full retail title or a download only. The direct presentation doesn't give much to go on apart from showing a few cards, i'd be reluctant to collect the cards if it's a download title too much of a risk. You lose access to the game and the cards become worthless. Placed my prorder for rhythm tengoku plus with amazon £28 is suprisingly cheap.

kubus

You can buy new streetpass games and premium right after the direct.
Oh you can download them already?!

Arghh why doesn't this hotel have wifi D: I'll have to find some way to download it in a public area with free wifi or something. Sometimes I get home and it automatically downloaded a firmware update somewhere so I'm sure there has to be some sort of Nintendo Zone nearby. I'll have to scout it out tomorrow then.

dani_dc

Yeah, どうぶつの森 is pretty much perfect for upper-beginner/lower-intermediate learners if you can stick with it. Unfortunately I played New Leaf to death when it first came out in English, so it doesn't hold my attention too well.

Yokai Watch is fantastic for "real world" Japanese, actually. There are tons of conversations in the game and they're really natural. Of course there are also conversations about ghosts and monsters, but even those are often educational (politeness levels and social dynamics), and the Yokai names make for great mnemonic material. Highly recommended.

Fantasy Life is also a goldmine of conversations and vocabulary, but it throws A LOT at you and can be incredibly overwhelming. I'd do Yokai Watch and Animal Crossing for now and pick up Fantasy Life once you're feeling confident and want to dump a truckload of esoteric vocabulary into your lap.
Will do that.
How's Nintendo with sales of their titles in the Japanese e-shop?

Rather get AC I'm digital format if I can.

kubus

Will do that.

They had a great New 3DS sale about two months ago. Lots of Nintendo titles 40% off, including Animal Crossing. I'm not sure if they'll ever do a similar sale again and if they'll be discounted by 40% again. I don't think Nintendo ever had such an aggressive sale before.

dani_dc

They had a great New 3DS sale about two months ago. Lots of Nintendo titles 40% off, including Animal Crossing. I'm not sure if they'll ever do a similar sale again and if they'll be discounted by 40% again. I don't think Nintendo ever had such an aggressive sale before.
Hm, shame I missed that. Are the updates/start of aales always in a specific week day like in Europe and US?

Will do that.

Yeah, that sale was pretty singular, according to my friends who have been here for a while. There might be some sales, but if you're local you'll be able to pick up a cartridge for really really cheap. Check Book Town if you have one near you, they carry cart-only games more often than Book Off does, and you can get stuff for really cheap if you're lucky. Amazon Marketplace is great as well.

Aizo

Banned
Where should I buy Fire Emblem If Special Edition? Woke up to find it sold out on playasia, and it's not on amiami.

There is at least 52 in the first mission mode.
Might be more once you unlock all 52.
Hard not to compare to Curtain Call, which had an obscene number of songs.

Hard not to compare to Curtain Call, which had an obscene number of songs.

I believe all the future DLC for TDQ will be free, from what I understand. So there is room for more down the road. I can understand how it may feel underwhelming though compared to CC. I am enjoying it right now, the different modes give it a fresh feel.

I'm considering importing Rhythm Tengoku and Girls Mode 3. Never played anything from the girls mode series but it seems to catch my eye this time around.

Aizo

Banned
I believe all the future DLC for TDQ will be free, from what I understand. So there is room for more down the road. I can understand how it may feel underwhelming though compared to CC. I am enjoying it right now, the different modes give it a fresh feel.

I'm considering importing Rhythm Tengoku and Girls Mode 3. Never played anything from the girls mode series but it seems to catch my eye this time around.

What is the mission mode like?

What is the mission mode like?

It feels very simplistic, as you play through each song it unlocks one or a two more, and you get items for completing the mission. With the BMS mission stages, you'll get an extra item for defeating all types of enemies that can show up during the song. I have no japanese skills, so I have no idea what the items are exactly lol! As you begin to clear the missions, you'll be able to play those songs in the main rhythm game.
I haven't tried the board game yet.

Top Bottom