• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

Koppai

10959702_10152579723141646_2116874138436245226_n.jpg

It's here guys!!! :D

Drago

Enjoy the bliss that is felt. :)

Also how is Tenso? I might want physical Club Nintendo goods but they need a Japan address.
I used Tenso to buy my JP N3DS and some amiibos off Amazon. They're a good and reliable service. Shipping is a little expensive but it always is with imports.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
I have some questions regarding the non-XL New 3DS, while I'm not getting a Japanese unit this should be the most suitable thread.

The screens don't scratch/smudge themselves this time, right? Can't believe Nintendo let the old 3DS XL do that again.

And how are the ABXY buttons, Start/Select buttons, shoulder buttons and d-pad? Clicky or not? What would be the closest equivalent of the older DS models?

I have some questions regarding the non-XL New 3DS, while I'm not getting a Japanese unit this should be the most suitable thread.

The screens don't scratch/smudge themselves this time, right? Can't believe Nintendo let the old 3DS XL do that again.

And how are the ABXY buttons, Start/Select buttons, shoulder buttons and d-pad? Clicky or not? What would be the closest equivalent of the older DS models?
Less clicky, probably closest to DS Lite, buttons feel great (except ZR and ZL), screen has bumpers so it doesn't smudge when closed.
I really like mine.

Koppai

Okay so I just did the system transfer from my Flare Red 3DS to the New 3DS. Do I need to move everything from my SD card or did it copy it all to the new card already? I have DLC for Taiko & Theathrythm, wanna make sure its still there.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Less clicky, probably closest to DS Lite, buttons feel great (except ZR and ZL), screen has bumpers so it doesn't smudge when closed.
I really like mine.
I've seen conflicting reports regarding both the clickiness and the screen smudging so I guess I have to try if for myself now. I'm getting the non-XL New 3DS either way.
Thanks for the answers anyways.

Drago

Amazon UK is selling the Wood Mario cover plate for only $27 shipped to the US if anyone is interested. Releases Feb 13 and should arrive about a week or 2 later. Couldn't say no to that price, that's the cheapest I've seen it with shipping included. I've been wanting this plate since it was revealed, the wood look (and most likely feel!) is so nice.

I really like the Groudon/Kyogre transparent plates but I don't use them anymore because of their glossy feel. :(

Bar81

I really like the Groudon/Kyogre transparent plates but I don't use them anymore because of their glossy feel. :(

Yup, that was to keep the good stuff for the LEs. Glad posters warned about that so I didn't waste my money on the plates.

Drago

Yup, that was to keep the good stuff for the LEs. Glad posters warned about that so I didn't waste my money on the plates.
Yeah. I got it with my N3DS from Amazon JP and it barely cost me anything, and I do love how they look, but I just can't see myself using them (or any glossy faceplate) much because matte feels so much better.

I wanna get the Smash Bros faceplate but it being glossy is such a turnoff that I'll probably skip it entirely.

Impotaku

Anyone tried the lost heroes games? Just downloaded the demo to the 2nd game enjoying it so far, it seems to feel like one of those atlus dungeon crawler games. Loving the fact gundam/kamen rider & ultraman are all in together as characters to fight with the special attacks are fantastic.

Can't make much sense of the story as i know nothing about the gundam world or who anyone is, only a bit better on recognising ultraman & kamen rider characters.

Definately will be picking up the full game at some point.

Koppai

So I have Sega 3D Fukkoku Archives and I was wondering if there is a translation guide or something available? I somehow don't even know why Bare Knuckle was on easy, I killed a boss in one hit and was really confused o-O;

Also the menu is a bit confusing...<_>

DoctorZ

For those looking for a case for the N3DS my old case for my 3DS fits perfectly. There was a little room before, but now it is snug. I bought this pack/kit specifically for the case since it has a flap that holds games and has a compartment on top that can hold a bigger stylus and usb cable. It is cheap, but feels sturdy/stiff. I'm sure people have been looking for a case, but maybe don't want to spend on shipping from Japan.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004JLVHZ8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

TZ9y3SH.png

tiijj

For those looking for a case for the N3DS my old case for my 3DS fits perfectly. There was a little room before, but now it is snug. I bought this pack/kit specifically for the case since it has a flap that holds games and has a compartment on top that can hold a bigger stylus and usb cable. It is cheap, but feels sturdy/stiff. I'm sure people have been looking for a case, but maybe don't want to spend on shipping from Japan.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004JLVHZ8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://i.imgur.com/TZ9y3SH.png

I have the hori one for the old 3ds and it's really tight. I have to force it in, in order to fit it properly. The one made for the new 3ds fits but it as a little bit of a wiggle room.

IZ3cLm9.jpg
ZXitb8R.jpg

Anyone tried the lost heroes games? Just downloaded the demo to the 2nd game enjoying it so far, it seems to feel like one of those atlus dungeon crawler games. Loving the fact gundam/kamen rider & ultraman are all in together as characters to fight with the special attacks are fantastic.

Can't make much sense of the story as i know nothing about the gundam world or who anyone is, only a bit better on recognising ultraman & kamen rider characters.

Definately will be picking up the full game at some point.
It may not matter, since the Amazon Japan prices for the first game aren't that good, but usually you can get it for veeeery cheap here. Seems like it was semi-successful enough to get a sequel, but I predict the prices on this one will fall very soon, so you are better off waiting. On a side note, the first game wasn't really good to be honest.

Zornica

Banned
I think I'm going on a accessory shopping spree...
can you recommend me any screen protectors, a good micro sd card (32gb+) and a pouch for a small n3ds?
(I'm in Japan if that's important)

can you recommend me any screen protectors, a good micro sd card (32gb+) and a pouch for a small n3ds?
Isn't Hori based in Japan? They make really good accessories.

Oh yeah, I got my copies of Game Center CX 3 and Taiko no Tatsujin - Chibi Dragon today apparently. Looking forward to it.

Hori's "Zero Air Pitahari" filter is the best screen protector I've ever used. The new 3ds version went on flawlessly.

Rakuten just cancelled my Majora's Mask cover plate order (#56). I'm completely out of luck on this one, aren't I? Checked the spreadsheet, no dice...

:(

DoctorZ

Not sure if anyone is looking for one, but I have a preorder for the Majora's Mask N3DS LL on amazon.

It would cost 24,840 yen +tenso shipping+shipping from me (US). I am set with my current regular N3DS so if I can't find anyone that wants this I'll likely just cancel it.

tiijj

I am sorry to ask in this thread but my chances here are better.

If anyone is importing a japanese item any time soon, can I pay you to also order a New Nintendo 3ds black craddle to go with your package and then ship to me here in Texas?

I ask because I am seeing the shipping charges come out to higher than the item itself when I look at import sites. Shipping is cheaper when items are consolidated it appears.

I can pay for shipping, item plus a little extra for your help. I have paypal and good feedback on b/s/t thread.

I don't think they released a black cradle for the new 3ds (afaik it only came in white, pink, and mint). They only released a black one for the new 3ds XL/LL.

That is accurate. There is no black cradle for the New 3DS. Also have you looked at Tenso.com? Buy a faceplate or two, a case, and a cradle; it would still be relatively cheap and their prices have reduced dramatically since they started offering more than just EMS shipping.

I ended up buying the Majora plate on eBay of all places, for double the price with shipping. Too pretty to pass up.

DoctorZ

Not sure if anyone is looking for one, but I have a preorder for the Majora's Mask N3DS LL on amazon.

It would cost 24,840 yen +tenso shipping+shipping from me (US). I am set with my current regular N3DS so if I can't find anyone that wants this I'll likely just cancel it.

Bumping with this again. If there isn't anyone interested I am going to cancel this in a day or two. Don't want to risk it being shipped by Amazon and Tenso will not return it.

kubus

Bumping with this again. If there isn't anyone interested I am going to cancel this in a day or two. Don't want to risk it being shipped by Amazon and Tenso will not return it.
If you don't get a reply within 6 hours, I'd cancel. Don't forget that Japan is about 14 hours in the future depending on where you are in the US, and they probably ship on Thursday.

You should post this over in the B/S/T thread, assuming you haven't already. You might get a few more bites on it over there.

DoctorZ

I am sorry to ask in this thread but my chances here are better.

If anyone is importing a japanese item any time soon, can I pay you to also order a New Nintendo 3ds black craddle to go with your package and then ship to me here in Texas?

I ask because I am seeing the shipping charges come out to higher than the item itself when I look at import sites. Shipping is cheaper when items are consolidated it appears.

I can pay for shipping, item plus a little extra for your help. I have paypal and good feedback on b/s/t thread.

I was actually wondering if anyone would be interested in doing something like this for smaller items. Multiple people could group up and get things shipped for cheaper for things that could be shipped cheaply once arriving in the US. Like screen protectors and stands. Like other's said though, no black N3DS stand.

If you don't get a reply within 6 hours, I'd cancel. Don't forget that Japan is about 14 hours in the future depending on where you are in the US, and they probably ship on Thursday.

I'm going to cancel it tonight if no one claims it. I was torn between keeping my N3DS or selling it and getting the MM edition or even the MH one. Decided I like the smaller one better.

You should post this over in the B/S/T thread, assuming you haven't already. You might get a few more bites on it over there.

Made a post there, but though out of anywhere this is where most would be interested in a Japanese N3DS.

rpmurphy

There are another ton of Legend of Legacy and Tales themes that were added.

There really needs to be more than 10 slots in the shuffle theme.

repeater

My question isn't really Japan related, but I figured this might be the best place to ask since the New 3DS has been out in Japan for the longest so people in here will have some experience:

I'm European, and leaning towards getting a regular (non-XL) New 3DS. But I can't quite decide on a colour. Is either one preferable to the other for some reason? Does either one look crappy with certain faceplates (I'll probably use these), or does one look clearly better than the other together with certain faceplates? That would be the kind of thing that might influence my choice of colour.

My question isn't really Japan related, but I figured this might be the best place to ask since the New 3DS has been out in Japan for the longest so people in here will have some experience:

I'm European, and leaning towards getting a regular (non-XL) New 3DS. But I can't quite decide on a colour. Is either one preferable to the other for some reason? Does either one look crappy with certain faceplates (I'll probably use these), or does one look clearly better than the other together with certain faceplates? That would be the kind of thing that might influence my choice of colour.

Try playing around with the Nintendo faceplate site. In general the white one looks better with light and bright colored plates and the black looks better with dark and bold colors. Neither looks outright bad though. I personally went for the black one, because that's where my tastes tend to go. I do really love the look of the Kawaii plates on the white 3DS though...

Try playing around with the Nintendo faceplate site. In general the white one looks better with light and bright colored plates and the black looks better with dark and bold colors.
I have to agree with you there in that the cover plate website is a nice judge.
Honestly I found there is no correct answer in deciding which color you like since both are meant to be bases for covers.
I caved in and bought both white JP and black EU models.
I hope EU gets a sale like JP got for new 3DS owners.

aza

Anybody have a Yahoo! Auctions Japan account? I want to buy some Club Nintendo points, but it seems like the site won't accept my credit cards. I'd be willing to compensate someone for their trouble if they would kindly buy some codes for me.

I got Youkai Watch 2 Shin-uchi in the mail today. Will play when I get home.

For now I'm just looking at the case and marveling at the shiny. The shiny. SHINYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. 10/10 game because SHINY.

tiijj

I got Youkai Watch 2 Shin-uchi in the mail today. Will play when I get home.

For now I'm just looking at the case and marveling at the shiny. The shiny. SHINYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. 10/10 game because SHINY.

Have you played the first one? If you did, do you think it's best to play the first one before the 2nd (any of the 2nd)?

Haven't played the first. There's plenty of evidence to suggest that it's coming out in English this year so I'll wait for that.

I did, however, read that it's fine to jump right into the second one, and going by Japanese sales at least well over a million Japanese have done just that without generating sales-killing bad word of mouth, so that's why I went with this one. It's probably preferred to play them in order, though.

Yeah, Yokai Watch (and especially Jibanyan and his "family") are literally everywhere you look here. It's unbelievable, and there's pretty much no analogue for it that anyone growing up in America or Europe could understand. Imagine the most popular franchise you can think of, then multiply the popularity by like three, and the ubiquity by 10.

akileese

Yeah, Yokai Watch (and especially Jibanyan and his "family") are literally everywhere you look here. It's unbelievable, and there's pretty much no analogue for it that anyone growing up in America or Europe could understand. Imagine the most popular franchise you can think of, then multiply the popularity by like three, and the ubiquity by 10.

Is it really that much bigger than Pokemon at it's peak? I was under the assumption it was comparable but didn't think it eclipsed it by that much.

Is it really that much bigger than Pokemon at it's peak? I was under the assumption it was comparable but didn't think it eclipsed it by that much.
It's about the same I would say. Like TheSporkWithin already said, it's literally everywhere here just like Pokemon at it's peak imho - straight in your face at all times.

DoctorZ

OK, found someone that wanted this. Just going to have Tenso ship it to them and they'll pay me the cost.

If anyone is planning to order screen protectors, would you consider ordering an extra set and then just mailing it to me once it arrives (USA)? I'd cover the ship cost obviously from you to me. I don't have anything else I want to order so shipping from Japan makes no sense in that case.

aza

Have you tried Buyee or FromJapan?

Thanks for the tip. I actually contacted FromJapan yesterday and they said they would do it, but that they have to print the code and ship it physically rather than just forward the seller's message with the code by email. Not sure why it has to be done that way, seems really roundabout, but I guess it has to do with making sure they can impose their second charge for shipping. If I can't find another option, though, I might just go ahead and do that.

Thanks for the tip. I actually contacted FromJapan yesterday and they said they would do it, but that they have to print the code and ship it physically rather than just forward the seller's message with the code by email. Not sure why it has to be done that way, seems really roundabout, but I guess it has to do with making sure they can impose their second charge for shipping. If I can't find another option, though, I might just go ahead and do that.
Before I moved away from Germany, I used www.japan-codes.com to buy the codes I wanted. Back then the EUR-JPY rate was pretty good too, so that's that. I may set up a prepaid card site someday lol.

Top Bottom