• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

Dingens

Speaking of difficult Japanese in 3DS games, I have always found the Bravely games to use much more advanced Japanese than any other RPG.

I've played the first two Ace Attorney games in Japanese, and they weren't as hard as I thought they would be.

well... daigyakuten saiban seems quite challenging at times... didn't try the older AAs though.
but yeah, I noticed that too while playing the bravely second demo. Not something I'd play before bedtime... It seemed pretty demanding, and that was only the demo.

urfe

well... daigyakuten saiban seems quite challenging at times... didn't try the older AAs though.
but yeah, I noticed that too while playing the bravely second demo. Not something I'd play before bedtime... It seemed pretty demanding, and that was only the demo.

Sorry, didn't mean to doubt you, but just statement my experiences with earlier games.

Dingens

Sorry, didn't mean to doubt you, but just statement my experiences with earlier games.

no worries, my comment was meant to be rather supplemental, as I haven't played the earlier games (in japanese), and just got my hands on this one.
I guess you haven't played Daigyakuten Saiban yet, right? I'd be curious if it also seems more difficult to you.
As expected, there are a few rather old words used every now and then, which, I'd imagine, would make it a tad harder to understand for non-natives than the previous games.

I just found out this existed:
dt9Ti6n.png

and had to buy it immediately.

Impotaku

Till you posted a pic i had no idea that oe even existed, glad i saw it early and went and got one before the supplies dry up online.

Managed to snag one on yahoo for £20, a little more expensive than a regular release but the way you had to obtain it & it's hibaihin status will make it a rarer one in years to come to get hold of.

How do you guys use Yahoo Auctions? Via a proxy or something?

You can get some people to bid for you and they take a cut, iirc, I'll ask a friend who has used it as a service and get back to you.

He used it to get the graphig of Rei (Persona Q), and I was really jealous, heh.

Impotaku

I have yet to go down the road of using a proxy for yahoo auctions myself, i thankfully have a very kind friend who lives in Japan that will let me bid via him if i find an auction with enough time left on it to contact him to get him to bid for me. I try not to ask him too much, i tend to ask him only when i have no other way of getting hold of something or if it goes for a lot cheaper on yahoo auctions than anywhere else.

kubus

Thanks everyone!

I guess I'll have to resort to buyee or other proxies, despite living in Japan right now. Don't have a Japanese bank account which makes paying for stuff quite difficult :(.

That cover plate looks so cool!

Impotaku

From my internet super sleuthing i have found where exactly the DoCoMo mario plate comes from.

http://www.d-livinggoods-ichiran2015.jp/20000/

Looks like it's from the DoCoMo premium club, it doesn't come on it's own but as a set with a white n3DS and a power adapter, looks like people are splitting the faceplate away from the set and selling it off. Seems it was made exclusively for that set like the euro ambassador faceplate was.

Not sure how you attain club points to buy them but i'm guessing when you take out phone contracts or renew your plan you get points to spend.

I've never used buyee before but is there a way to see how much the shipping is? The shipping from the seller to buyee?
When you place your bid you'll get an amount that tells you about any fees like that, if necessary. Of course that doesn't count shipping from Buyee to you, which you figure out once they get your item.

tiijj

When you place your bid you'll get an amount that tells you about any fees like that, if necessary. Of course that doesn't count shipping from Buyee to you, which you figure out once they get your item.

Thanks

Sooo tempting but too expensive. I tried to calculate how much everything is. I estimated it to be around $50-70.

JimPanzer

Anyone here played the japanese version of Etrian Mystery Dungeon? I'm a huge Etrian Odyssey and Rogue-like fan, but the game isn't coming to europe until october I believe. So I thought about playing the japanese version. I'm probably at an low intermediate level in my japanese studies with around 400 kanji learned. I don't care for the story, I'm only interested in the gameplay. Do you think I should give it a try? I don't know how heavy on quests this game is and how complicated they get, so that might pose a problem with no furigana.

I just bought DQ Theatrhythm to play now that I have the region free exploit on my US 3ds. I was wondering what other games I should pick up. I don't know any Japanese so I think RPGs are out of the question. Also, I was reading that some Japanese games will flip to English (Phoenix Wright Trilogy and Smash Bros off the top of my head). Is there a list of those somewhere?

I just bought DQ Theatrhythm to play now that I have the region free exploit on my US 3ds. I was wondering what other games I should pick up. I don't know any Japanese so I think RPGs are out of the question. Also, I was reading that some Japanese games will flip to English (Phoenix Wright Trilogy and Smash Bros off the top of my head). Is there a list of those somewhere?

http://www.gaijingamers.com/showthread.php?t=5299

Pokemon games, Ace Attorney, Resident Evil Revelations and Bravely Default (For The Sequel version only). That's it, and they're all available in America/Europe anyway.

If you like Taiko Drum Master you might want to pick up one of those; same with the Miku game which came out recently. I've also heard good things about Puyo Puyo Tetris, though it's multiplatform and other platforms aren't region locked and are probably a better experience. Other than those I can't think of many Japan-exclusive games that would be enjoyable with no Japanese. Maybe Final Fantasy Explorers if you're a big FF fan and can find a guide of some sort?

ryushe

A Sega sale is going on at the moment. Rhythm Thief is 1500 yen and both Hero Bank 1 and 2 are also on sale. I forget the price though (not near my 3DS atm).

How are the Hero Bank games? I've played the demo for part 2, but couldn't really get a sense of the type of game it was.

kubus

Anyone getting Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer tonight? (or later in case of retail)

Super psyched for it. Was just prompted to pay my order at amiami which I just did. I really hope they will ship it soon. Release day is tomorrow but I'm definitely not getting it then :(.

I'll be putting up an import impressions thread tonight! Doesn't look like there's any online connectivity unfortunately, so no GAF friend code list :(

Impotaku

Anyone getting Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer tonight? (or later in case of retail)

Super psyched for it. Was just prompted to pay my order at amiami which I just did. I really hope they will ship it soon. Release day is tomorrow but I'm definitely not getting it then :(.

I'll be putting up an import impressions thread tonight! Doesn't look like there's any online connectivity unfortunately, so no GAF friend code list :(

Have it preordered from Amazon along with 3 official binders and a box of series 1 cards, still no movement on my preorder it still just says preordered with a due delivery date of thursday.

kubus

Have it preordered from Amazon along with 3 official binders and a box of series 1 cards, still no movement on my preorder it still just says preordered with a due delivery date of thursday.
Can you link the binder? :eek:

My friend has the game preordered at amazon as well. I expect they won't ship until tomorrow.

Really tempted to head into a Lawson right now and grab some amiibo booster packs. They're already selling them... But the nearest Lawson is still about 15 minutes away by foot and I'm lazy haha.

edit: Yeahhh I think I'll just go now :p got nothing better to do and I need some groceries anyway.

Impotaku

Can you link the binder? :eek:

My friend has the game preordered at amazon as well. I expect they won't ship until tomorrow.

Really tempted to head into a Lawson right now and grab some amiibo booster packs. They're already selling them... But the nearest Lawson is still about 15 minutes away by foot and I'm lazy haha.

edit: Yeahhh I think I'll just go now :p got nothing better to do and I need some groceries anyway.

The binders are here Kubus, they are the only ones i have spotted so far i think they only hold 40 cards per binder as they are really small ones that hold 2 cards per pocket. They were originally 663 yen each till the scum on Amazon bought them all up to put right back on as maretplace items
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B010UGYVEO/

Up for trading doubles once my cards arrive here if you want to swap.

kubus

Thanks for the link! Yeah it's kinda pricey now, I'll wait and see if amazon gets more stock and then maybe I'll buy one.

Unfortunately no amiibo cards at the Lawson here yet :(. And they probably won't get them tomorrow either. Boooo. I'll check out another store in Shibuya tomorrow but I expect they'll be already sold out by then.

tiijj

Here's the AC Amiibo Card List that I'm trying to put together for my checklist. Hopefully it won't be in short supply and (another hopefully) I can complete it in one box or at least I can get as much as I can lol.

Impotaku

I can see there been at least one more series, wonder how many of the villagers there is in total for this game. The one thing i'll sadly never be able to get is the 7-11 villager as you have to be physically in a 7-11 with your 3DS and accessing a 7 spot wifi point to get all the conveni themed items.

I'm praying that at some point they will release a card that will call the 7-11 villager to your town so you can get the furniture without having to be stood inside a 7-11

tiijj

Damn!!!! Oh well...

Also

While I was doing the checklist I saw something weird.

The serial number for card 15 Tortimer is: 015-AO-A0J

For the next card, card 16 Lyle's serial is: 016-AQ-A0J

I'm only at no. 17 for the serial but the patter goes like card 1 is 01-AA, card 2 is 02-AB, card 3 is 03-AC.

It might be nothing but I wonder why they skipped XX-AP-A0J

Impotaku

The only way i would be able to get that is by getting my friend in Japan to buy a second copy of the game for me & borrow his son's 3DS and go into a 7-11 to get the data for me.

Maybe they skipped a number in the cards as they are planning a promo card?

Impotaku

That's why yahoo auctions Japan was invented lol, i'm hoping they are not as hard as kid icarus cards to collect as those were really hard to get the last 6 or so promo cards as one was limited to a festival.

Impotaku

Choo chooooo,

Finally got around to ordering the Tetsudou Nippon games, ordered the first 4 but there's a 5th comming in a month or so. Glad i got them now rather than later as the first game has already gone out of stock from Amazon & now only marketplace resellers have it. Very niche market but i find the games fun, closest thing to dende since they stopped making home versions of that.

All aboard
91N2tu4On9L._SL1500_.jpg

916gQmmmrCL._SL1500_.jpg

91X0SOXpTGL._SL1500_.jpg

91yxrsH0uxL._SL1500_.jpg

Dingens

are the games anything like the demo?
I always felt thought that they are kinda shallow when compared to a "real" train sim on pc...
If you're looking for a fun sim on 3ds, I'd also recommend the Airport Hero games! I don't know why, but they are fun as hell!

cuilan

Will there be more additions to the Club Nintendo catalog, or is this it until the end? The wording on the Club Nintendo page makes it sound like the latter, but I figured I should ask just in case. Just wondering if there's a reason to keep holding on to my points or not.

Oare

Will there be more additions to the Club Nintendo catalog, or is this it until the end? The wording on the Club Nintendo page makes it sound like the latter, but I figured I should ask just in case. Just wondering if there's a reason to keep holding on to my points or not.

Spend your points.
At least on my member page, there's a bit of text that couldn't be less ambiguous, stating that all new additions to the.catalog have been made.
You have until September 30 to use all your points, but if you want physical items you should order asap since stocks are limited.

cuilan

Spend your points.
At least on my member page, there's a bit of text that couldn't be less ambiguous, stating that all new additions to the.catalog have been made.
You have until September 30 to use all your points, but if you want physical items you should order asap since stocks are limited.

Thanks for the confirmation. I was holding out hope that they would add some more VC games, but alas...

akileese

My Xenoblade 3DS cover plates finally came today courtesy of a good friend in Australia. So happy with how it looks!

http://imgur.com/a/fsC8O

EDIT: Heads up all, play-asia is having a summer sale that is going on for a few more days. I just snagged the black and gold Zelda 3DS plate and also got Fire Emblem IF White Kingdom for 38.99. Not the best deal, but it's barely a month old so I'm happy with that price. Plus it'd be nice to have one physical game!

Top Bottom