• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

Dingens

More new games today, choo chooooo
IMG_0743%20res.jpg

are they any good?
from the demo, it always felt like you're playing some pre-recorded video and just speed it up or slow it down...

btw: anyone here who has played all or at least a good chunk of the airport hero games? I only own one (Nara) and would buy another one that's worthwhile

Yasawas

are they any good?
from the demo, it always felt like you're playing some pre-recorded video and just speed it up or slow it down...

I got the bottom-right one in a bundle of stuff and your description perfectly encapsulates my experience with it. I will say I thought it looked way prettier than I had expected a game of that type on a 3DS to though.

urfe

Question about download cards.

If I buy the DQVIII download card today, can I already download it, and just not play it yet, or do I have to wait to input the download code until the day off?

Impotaku

Denpa ningen RPG free trading cards turned up today, they are quite fun as each has a code to input into the game to get a special item. Been playing the free game for a bit now, it's pretty fun.
SAM_1384%20res.jpg

[EDIT]
Busted open the denpa ningen RPG packs. Got veeeery lucky as i managed to get all 30 of the high rares & regular rares but i barely managed it with 2 boxes. Have a bazillion doubles left over, shall fire up the 3DS and start inputting the codes to get some rare items, seems that the codes are one use only as i have doubles and the cards are identical but the codes are different. Hence me not showing the backs of the cards that show you the items you get from the codes.
SAM_1387%20res.jpg

Impotaku

LOL nah, just love odd stuff. Rarely get lucky with trading cards but seem to be doing well in completing sets at the moment, love ones that are videogame related.

DQ VIII is now up on the eShop to purchase, apparently, so the preload should have unlocked. Looking forward to reading peoples' impressions -- I'm particularly interested in seeing whether it's New 3DS enhanced or not.

urfe

The c-stick camera controls are inverted, thank God.

Time to explore the first town!

Edit: just made it to the first cave. I like the voice acting so far. I don't like the behind the back camera angle 8 uses though.

CNXs7cnVEAA_sbq.jpg

AceAttorney123 and 5 are 1500 yen each. Think I'll pick up both!

I already played them in English, but I was thinking about picking them up at that price as well. I don't know when I'd actually get to replaying them though, as I'm planning on picking up 大逆転裁判 and I doubt I'll want to start them until I finish that (which may well not be for a month or two).

Looks like I have a few weeks to decide though...

EDIT to add: Oh wow, I forgot about E.X. Troopers. It's the high-school anime spin-off of Lost Planet. It looks gorgeous and I'm seriously considering grabbing it on presentation alone...

EDIT again: Looks like E.X. Troopers is available dirt-cheap for PS3 used. Might go with that instead.

urfe

I loved the demo of 大逆転裁判. The style was great. I'm honestly not sure if I'll get AA5, because I haven't played AA4, and don't want to buy a DS cart. Plus, I still need to finish AA2 and play AA3 which at my pace will take years.

I bought RE:Revalations last time too, but never even started it.

I loved the demo of 大逆転裁判. The style was great. I'm honestly not sure if I'll get AA5, because I haven't played AA4, and don't want to buy a DS cart. Plus, I still need to finish AA2 and play AA3 which at my pace will take years.

I bought RE:Revalations last time too, but never even started it.

While it's definitely annoying that AA4 is the odd one out, being unavailable on the 3DS/iOS, it's leagues ahead of the first three in terms of art assets. It was made for the DS instead of the GBA, and uses a new engine. It would probably hold up pretty well visually, so don't let that deter you. It's not as good as 3, but it's quite fun and has some really great bits.

urfe

Fuck, for Silver Week 大逆転裁判 is 25% off.

It's still 4,400 yen though.

I really want it, but my backlog is so big. As Eshop sales are still usually rare, I wonder if I should pounce.

Fuck, for Silver Week 大逆転裁判 is 25% off.

It's still 4,400 yen though.

I really want it, but my backlog is so big. As Eshop sales are still usually rare, I wonder if I should pounce.

If you regularly have stuff forwarded from Japan, it may be cheaper to buy a used copy. Prices have been dropping quite rapidly on it, I picked up a complete copy (even had the theme code unredeemed) for 3400 yen a few weeks back. It'll probably be under 3000 soon.

Pretty much all of the Capcom games currently on sale can be had for less than the eShop price except for 逆転裁判123 and 5.

The price on Rune Factory 4 is quite good, and I grabbed that myself. I had Fantasy Life but it was just too open and aimless from the start and the characters weren't grabbing me. This seems more to my liking, and good for language practice (lots of keigo and other speech styles).

EDIT: Wait, you live here, don't you? Check your local Book Town. At Book Off it's still expensive, but the smaller chains have been dropping the price.

urfe

If you regularly have stuff forwarded from Japan, it may be cheaper to buy a used copy. Prices have been dropping quite rapidly on it, I picked up a complete copy (even had the theme code unredeemed) for 3400 yen a few weeks back. It'll probably be under 3000 soon.

Pretty much all of the Capcom games currently on sale can be had for less than the eShop price except for 逆転裁判123 and 5.

The price on Rune Factory 4 is quite good, and I grabbed that myself. I had Fantasy Life but it was just too open and aimless from the start and the characters weren't grabbing me. This seems more to my liking, and good for language practice (lots of keigo and other speech styles).

I live in Japan, but buy digital most or the time. The only game I didn't in the last three years was Bravely Second, which is my most disappointing game in years. I'd sell it, it I doubt I'd get 500 yen.

I may check Enterking, and if I see if for less than 3,000 go that route, but I'm betting I'll most likely pick this up before the sale is over.

Yeah, I realized that and edited my post literally as you were posting. I'm near Nagoya so the shopping situation is a bit different, but Book Town and 宝島 are my go-to places for used games. They tend to sell lower and buy higher than Book Off and the other big ones.

No, I'm saying that this is a Homebrew question so you're best off asking it in the Homebrew thread. It's not illegal to play ROMs via homebrew if you're not pirating the ROMs. lol

But there's no GBA VC games or anything like that, that's a Wii U exclusive.

Ostinatto

No, I'm saying that this is a Homebrew question so you're best off asking it in the Homebrew thread. It's not illegal to play ROMs via homebrew if you're not pirating the ROMs. lol

But there's no GBA VC games or anything like that, that's a Wii U exclusive.

Oh i thought there was GBA VC for 3DS, thanks for the info.

Dingens

so... there is a 3ds minecraft on the japanese eshop made by arc systemworks called "cube creator 3d"
did anyone try that yet?
just downloaded the demo.. I'm kinda intrigued.

(also there is an escape adventure game made by Nintendo, first episode is free until the 30th)

I'm thinking about this only now: i've always used an european charger to charge my japanese 3DS, but are we really sure that's fine like the OP says? How does the battery work?

Impotaku

Considering i live in the UK and i'm using a UK 3DSXL charger to power my Japanese n3DS i'd say yeah there's no problem. As long as you match a charger to the country you are living in then it will work & charge fine with no damage.

tiijj

AC adapter just converts an AC to a DC.

The input is AC (alternating current) which is the one in your wall outlet it has different voltage, frequency, and those plug thingy and it's different from where you live, which sucks by they way... While the output of the adapter is DC (direct current) this one is the same for the 3ds, it uses ~5v or 4.6v to be exact (I believe, I can't find my adapter lol).

If you wanna know how ac to dc adapter works, here's a video.

If you wanna know how battery works, here's a video.

pronk420

I'm thinking of getting some stuff with monster hunter x, I saw a baseball game coming out recently that looked cool but I'm not sure which it is, I think possibly its pro famitsu returns? Are there other good 3ds baseball games?

Also any other recommends for games out or coming before mhx would be cool :) I have beyond labyrinth and had a great time with that, but haven't paid attention to Japanese 3ds releases for a while. I can't read Japanese but dont mind figuring things out.

JimPanzer

I'm thinking of getting some stuff with monster hunter x, I saw a baseball game coming out recently that looked cool but I'm not sure which it is, I think possibly its pro famitsu returns? Are there other good 3ds baseball games?

Also any other recommends for games out or coming before mhx would be cool :) I have beyond labyrinth and had a great time with that, but haven't paid attention to Japanese 3ds releases for a while. I can't read Japanese but dont mind figuring things out.

Try E.X. Troopers, it's basically a light version of Monster Hunter with guns. You should be able to make it through the game w/o knowing any Japanese. There's also a demo on the eShop.

Oh... look what came in the mail today. I am now ready for the 28th. I kind of wonder why I am not just getting MHX from the eShop. I have it preordered from NY. Hmm...
I'm living here in Japan, but even then, it's a must download title imho. I download all games anyway, but this is one game you always want to have with you, without thinking about it and I'm so fucking hype on that title that I can't wait until the next morning anyway lol.

Also, just wait for the next Capcom sale, because E.X. Troopers is on sale for the half price pretty often.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The Legend Of Dark Witch 2 is up on the eShop for 800 yen. Like the Vita version of the original, the game runs in full English. Just check the options menu and change the language!

Top Bottom