• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Persona fans rank their favorite characters in the series.

What's with NA/GAF loving Chie so much, childhood friend love complex? :eek:
tumblr_m8eaqxm3XP1rb136co1_500.gif

Venfayth

I reallly hated Yosuke after
Nanako's dead and his desire to kill Namakame because his shitty No Girlfriend that he didn't like that much and more because glory hound and insecurities

I swear I almost screamed
MY COUSIN DIED ASSHOLE LET ME FINISH MY TRAIN OF TOUGH I DESERVE IT MORE THAN YOU AND YOUR WHINY JERKASS ISSUES

The funny thing is that I actually did the right choices in that sequence in my first try and without guide.

Yeah, same here. :p

I was convinced he wasn't the dude who killed her because of the note and the way it was phrased.

Nairume

Banned
That's called a character flaw. Humans have these things called emotions that effect them throughout their life, especially if an individual has been subject events they deem as being traumatic experiences. However, I guess if your idea of what a good character is stems from Scooby-Doo then that would be easy to mistake as being a bad thing.
Hey, you leave Scooby-Doo out of this :p

I understand what they were going for with her but I just felt that the way they wrote her was a bit too caricatured.

randomkid

Care to back that up,you keep saying it but you ain't showing it? It has for a fact sold better in the U.S than p1 or p2.

If you couldn't tell I want numbers kid not random things you consider fact.

So aggressive hahaha. Not sure why you are bringing up US sales when talking about popularity ratings in a Japan only magazine with a Japan only poll.

I'm at work but I can hunt down the figure later for you since you're so eager, P1 was > 400K on PSX if I remember right. P4 ended up at 300K.

What's with NA/GAF loving Chie so much, childhood friend love complex? :eek:

I think this is the first time someone describes Chie with "childhood friend". I just found her a likable female character with, in my personal case, traits and flaws that I really identify with it (specially in her Social Link).

And she was a fun character that set the mood that makes Persona 4 so special.

Nairume

Banned
I think this is the first time someone describes Chie with "childhood friend". I just found her a likable female character with, in my personal case, traits and flaws that I really identify with it (specially in her Social Link).

And she was a fun character that set the mood that makes Persona 4 so special.

Somehow, it actually felt refreshing that her problem was that she was just trying to figure out what she wanted to do with her life.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
And seriously, Yu at #1? So players think THEY are the best character?

I have the same concern when people choose Gordon Freeman, Link or Crono as their favorite characters on similar polls.

That's called a character flaw. Humans have these things called emotions that effect them throughout their life, especially if an individual has been subject to events they deem as being traumatic experiences. However, I guess if your idea of what a good character is stems from Scooby-Doo then that would be easy to mistake as being a bad thing.

When the character flaws are being hammered to a player (or to someone who is watching a series for example) hour after hour, always saying the same thing, you get pretty fed up with them. When a game like P3 consists of the majority of characters having this flaws during the majority of the game, and being written in a form were you feel that the group never become real friends, well, you have a written problem. Its way too dramatic, and the story behind doenst help aliviate that grudge.

Something P4 doesnt have, and thats why I think is a fresh air, youngsters behaving like youngsters and being a good group of firends, even the ones that come further into the game you can feel how they create abond with the group. P4 characters also have flaws and problems, but they are not hammering them all the time to the player.

If you feel that P4 characters are similar to Scooby Doo Mystery Incorparated ones (good funny characters), then you are right, if you are comparing them with the one plane originals, you are totally wrong, becuase they are nothing like that. Exagerating drama for the sake of it its never good, even is some people can love it.

But the P3 cast didn't lol.

didnt what? Cry of their problems the majority of the game? Never feel like an actual group of friends? Because thats what I experienced during my two walkthroughs, even before it ends the first time you are fed up with most of them (why did I played two times if I hate it so much then?, because the first time I played I arrived nearly at the end and had to leave it for more than a year because of work, when I returned I remembered of little details so I started again).

cj_iwakura

I wonder how many people know that Rise and Chie are based off of Lisa and Yosuke is based off of Eikichi?

Yosuke's nothing like Eikichi. Michel actually has a badass side.

Yosuke's by and large a one-trick pony. A likable one, but there's not much to him.

Onemic

Mitsuru and akihiko ranked super low and the biggest travesty of them all..... WHERE THE FUCK IS JUNPEI?!?!

cj_iwakura

Also, what's the source of this? There's not even a link in the OP.

And there's two pre-P3 characters: Reiji and P1.

Taruranto

Also, what's the source of this? There's not even a link in the OP.

And there's two pre-P3 characters: Reiji and P1.

Persona Magazine. Are scans allowed? There also other polls with equally interesting... results. (Like Philemon losing to Nanako in the "Most Powerful Persona-verse character")

When the character flaws are being hammered to a player (or to someone who is watching a series for example) hour after hour, always saying the same thing, you get pretty fed up with them. When a game like P3 consists of the majority of characters having this flaws during the majority of the game, and being written in a form were you feel that the group never become real friends, well, you have a written problem. Its way too dramatic, and the story behind doenst help aliviate that grudge.

Something P4 doesnt have, and thats why I think is a fresh air, youngsters behaving like youngsters and being a good group of firends, even the ones that come further into the game you can feel how they create abond with the group. P4 characters also have flaws and problems, but they are not hammering them all the time to the player.

If you feel that P4 characters are similar to Scooby Doo Mystery Incorparated ones (good funny characters), then you are right, if you are comparing them with the one plane originals, you are totally wrong, becuase they are nothing like that. Exagerating drama for the sake of it its never good, even is some people can love it.

I'd like to add that while both games are very well written to their respective tones, Persona 4's character involvement takes a concept that I remember from Persona 2 to a very grand level - I'm talking the shadow versions. The dungeon correlation to the shadow versions was also pretty good and gave a sense of urgency to the dungeons themselves since you were fighting to save a person's life.

Writing it off as Scooby Doo is not only a tired inaccuracy, it's lazy.

cj_iwakura

Persona Magazine. Are scans allowed? There also other polls with equally interesting... results. (Like Philemon losing to Nanako in the "Most Powerful Persona-verse character")

It's more like a Persona 4 magazine as I understand it. I'm guessing the old-school fans don't even read it.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not one of 'them'; I love Persona 4.

But 2 is better.

cj_iwakura

Personality is meaningless when a characters lacks an opinion or just follow what other NPCs tell them, IMO.

By and large, JRPG silent protagonists have no personality. That's why I love Growlanser II. Wein is actually a character.
(Every other Growlanser has a silent protagonist.)

Stark

Banned
didnt what? Cry of their problems the majority of the game? Never feel like an actual group of friends?

They didn't cry of their problems for the majority of the game though. Sounds like a bit of an over-exaggeration to me.

They did feel like an actual group of friends. The conflicts between them helped strengthen that when it got near the end, IMO.

It's called "Persona Magazine", it's more focused on P4 because of all the P4 stuff that came out recently.

Artstyle looks familiar...

I assumed Chie would be the runaway victor; thought she was the general consensus(oh which I am a part, <3 Chie). Lots of good character, but a silent protaganist is the best? Fuck you.

Finalow

Okay,

a) what the goddamn hell is Kanji doing at 12!? :mad:
b) what's so cool about the Persona 4 main character? I don't get it. He's not... anything.
besides JYB when he yells out persona names
c) there's only one character in the whole list that isn't from P3 or P4. :|
a) he's a bad chara anyway imo so it's ok.
b-c) dunno, such bullshit.

also gaf, no. chie sucks and this list is awful.

They didn't cry of their problems for the majority of the game though. Sounds like a bit of an over-exaggeration to me.

They did feel like an actual group of friends. The conflicts between them helped strengthen that when it got near the end, IMO.

Well, I have beat it two times, and thats what I felt when I was playing, you felt different and thats ok, opinions can differ.
I still think they never bond really as friends during the game story, you can see a little in the social links of course, but it never translates well into the story (and its even worse when the big thing in the story happens and
it grows an impending doom around the group and the whole P3 world in general
), P4 apart from the social linksthe characters act as a group of friends the entire time, and thats something you see very little in the majority of RPGs, so thats why I like it much more.
Thats why I prefer much more main characters in RPGs like Yitan in FFIX, than Cloud, Squall or Tidus. I know theres people that love this characters, so I can understand why some people will prefer the drama and characters of P3 than the more lighthearted P4.

I thought I was the lone Aigis fan!
She is my favourite character form 3. Her and Elizabeth.

Krabboss

Check that garbage taste. No Maya, but non-characters like the PCs make the list? As for everything else, it's like they're just telling Atlus straight up, "Make it more anime, please!"

Top Bottom