• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Sales: 2012 Jul 02 - Jul 08

It sold less yes. But it is a port, so i guess it is free money.

I don't think it works like that. It likely has made a profit, but their is still the cost of distribution and marketing, plus they have Armature port the game which costed something because they added different controls and such. I wouldn't ever say anything is free money unless it's a simple rerelease.

jmls1121

Banned
I am under the assumption that the 3DS XL is solely to help sales in the West. Nintendo knows that Western gamers do less gaming on the go as compared to Japan, so it makes sense for them to want a bigger/less portable handleheld machine (and Westerners have bigger hands). NSMB2 will be a worldwide hit, and hopefully will provide a big boost to Western sales.

I am under the assumption that the 3DS XL is solely to help sales in the West. Nintendo knows that Western gamers do less gaming on the go as compared to Japan, so it makes sense for them to want a bigger/less portable handleheld machine (and Westerners have bigger hands). NSMB2 will be a worldwide hit, and hopefully will provide a big boost to Western sales.

The DSi XL did pretty damn well in Japan. I'm sure the XL was made for the WW market and Nintendo still has insane expectations of shipment numbers that are near impossible to reach without a revision.

test_account

XP-39C²
I don't think it works like that. It likely has made a profit, but their is still the cost of distribution and marketing, plus they have Armature port the game which costed something because they added different controls and such. I wouldn't ever say anything is free money unless it's a simple rerelease.
I've seen the "free money" comment for several of ports, so i think it should apply to this title too. Naturally ports cost money to produce as well, so the games must sell X amount of copies to make money. But how much these ports costs are anyone's guess, unfortunately. It would be interesting to know the cost :)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Not really surprising, EO lead the (mini) resurgence of FP dungeon crawler in Japan.
EO fill the need of a niche and word of mouth pushed its sales and formed a solid core fanbase.

Actually there has always been a fanbase for Wizardry based games in Japan, which what EO is. Just that the art style is what got people into the game. Similar to why people liked the first 7th Dragon game due to the art done by Mota.

Though while at times they have some broken skills, as in literally broken like not working as should. They have some pretty good flow with how party members can combo skills together more so than the average wizardry type of game. EO takes a little bit of a step out from the classic formula when it comes to the battle system. And with 3 and 4, its added a whole new layer with the sea / air exploration.

1 & 2 were quite similar. 3 & 4 besides the dungeon crawling mechanics and map drawing the sea and air part of the game can be considered 2 totally different things. Which really make 3 & 4 stand out from 1 & 2.

Though Im not feeling as much love for the classes in 4. I thought what they had in 3 was pretty good. Esp the princess class. Though some might say it was a bit over powered. I miss my farmer class also.

Seriously think that Japan is the only country now that still has a TON of wizardry type games being pushed out at a normal rate. A lot of them done by Starfish - Elminage being an example of that.

B/W2 is tracking ahead of HG/SS. Should reach 4M at this rate.

Edit: hmm on second look, HG/SS was undershipped? Maybe 3.5M~ is more realistic.

Celine

Actually there has always been a fanbase for Wizardry based games in Japan, which what EO is. Just that the art style is what got people into the game. Similar to why people liked the first 7th Dragon game due to the art done by Mota.
This is true but I'm wondering if being one of the first game in this niche genre on handhelds had its influence especially in those years when handhelds (DS) achieved supremacy in the japanese market.

Important Milestone Altert: Etrian Odyssey IV is officially the first 3rd party 3DS game to sell the best in its respective established franchise 1st week!

Important Milestone Altert: Etrian Odyssey IV is officially the first 3rd party 3DS game to sell the best in its respective established franchise 1st week!
In the end it wasn't that much more, and its LTD should be roughly the same as previous entries. Id say something like Kensan (that girl fighting game), MH, RE: Revelations are more impressive success stories. Those titles also happen to be different tiers of games. Of course EO selling on par shows that the 3DS is a solid foundation for third parties to build on. Even quick cahs-ins like LBX gives third parties a reason to at least give the 3DS a decent level of support.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
In the end it wasn't that much more, and its LTD should be roughly the same as previous entries. Id say something like Kensan (that girl fighting game), MH, RE: Revelations are more impressive success stories.

Wait Revelations is a success story?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ateliers are slow burns, they sell over time.

Prior PS3 Atelier game legs:
Rorona - +77%
Totori - +43%
Meruru - +38%

At +38% we'd expect the lifetime sales to end up at 104k. At +77% we'd expect the lifetime sales to end up at 134k.

These are not particularly leggy games. We definitely would not describe them as "slow burns".

(That's not to say they're not successful. Meruru outsold Totori which outsold Rorona--although sales on this one are lower than Meruru's first week)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
This is true but I'm wondering if being one of the first game in this niche genre on handhelds had its influence especially in those years when handhelds (DS) achieved supremacy in the japanese market.

Wouldnt say it did. Since as stated there has always been a fanbase. All EO did was just bring others into the EO series in general due to the character art. Those people wouldnt touch most of the other Wizardry games since the style is different.
Unless it was class of heroes, but that will be changing with the new game released this month. Where its more a traditional JRPG with visible characters on the dungeon map / visible in battle.

I would say a lot, but some of the Wizardry games have crazy premiums on them also due to the fans are also collectors it seems. One example would be PSP port of Wizardry Empire III. Im still trying to find a brand new one but thats not likely going to happen. Well not at a reasonable price anyways.

The DS wizardry games by Genterprise did not too bad also. Though I think the first one sold better than the 2nd. On the PS3 you had the ones by Acquire. The PS2 had LOADS of Wizardry type of games. PSP has a bunch also. Id have to look into what the PS1 era had.
Then also with the 360 we have the Students of the Round and Meikyu Cross Blood Reloaded - by Team Muramasa (originally PC titles)

Being a fan of Wizardry titles in general I pretty much have all of these on hand also. Still am searching for others missing from my collection, but at times the price just cant justify it, which is why certain titles are missing in the first place. :/ Esp these days when its much wiser to be more frugal with ones spending. Worst one running into the 70,000 JPY range in price.

Two personal favorites were the PS2 titles Busin: Wizardry Alternative and Busin 0: Wizardry Alternative Neo. (I think only one of those came out in the west. Forgot what the title was)

Next upcoming Wizardry type of title is the Japanese themed Elminage (Strange Tales of Emlinage: Amenomihashira) Comes out August 30th on the PSP. Looks to be the first in the Elminage series where you are working with set characters. Similar to what was done on the DS Wizardry games along with the 360 Students of the Round.

Trailer for those interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5C93IJw0ro (Dont want to hear whining about graphics, since thats not what wizardry style games are about anyways)

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

I can agree with this, but NSMB2 doesn't have to be a simultaneous (or near-simultaneous) release worldwide. In the West, it is understandable to be releasing a new NSMB as soon as possible and right alongside a new, bigger 3DS. But in Japan, is it really even needed? The XL and Oni Training will give a huge boast to sells regardless. Why not release a more obscure hardcore game in Japan alongside the XL (like Paper Mario or Luigi's Mansion) to help one of those franchises grow? NSMB2 on it's own is going to provide a huge boast, so why have all three huge system movers (ONI Training, XL, and NSMB2) all clumped together on the same day?

Doesn't make much sense in my opinion.

hiska-kun

Media Create FW:

[NDS] Etrian Odyssey (Atlus Co.) - 32.511
[NDS] Etrian Odyssey II: The Royal Grail (Atlus Co.) - 68.913
[NDS] Etrian Odyssey III: Caller of the Starry Seas (Atlus Co.) - 87.765
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey IV: Denshou no Kyojin <RPG> (Atlus) {2012.07.05} (¥6.279) - 95.506

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I can agree with this, but NSMB2 doesn't have to be a simultaneous (or near-simultaneous) release worldwide. In the West, it is understandable to be releasing a new NSMB as soon as possible and right alongside a new, bigger 3DS. But in Japan, is it really even needed? The XL and Oni Training will give a huge boast to sells regardless. Why not release a more obscure hardcore game in Japan alongside the XL (like Paper Mario or Luigi's Mansion) to help one of those franchises grow? NSMB2 on it's own is going to provide a huge boast, so why have all three huge system movers (ONI Training, XL, and NSMB2) all clumped together on the same day?

Doesn't make much sense in my opinion.

It is needed because Nintendo needs to make some money this fiscal year to get the share holders off their balls. For the holiday season they will have enough third party releases + Animal crossing and have to shift focus on WiiU. Right now is a good time to be done with it so that holiday titles can benefit from the bigger userbase.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Pretty dismal numbers for Max Anarchy. Impressions of the full game have been very positive, from what I've been hearing, too... so it's unfortunate.

watershed

Banned
NSMB2 makes sense in that it will make a ton of money for Nintendo, it will drive up sales of the 3ds including the LL, and by launching in July it will create a bigger install base for Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing and 3rd party games to sell on through the holidays.

Road

Yay numbers. Now we wait for the inevitable first few pages that actually talk about sales and the rest being filled with talk about the Vita. Seriously though, Ghost Recon over Max Anarchy? What are the possibilities that Sega now releases the game as a digital title over here in America in lieu of these numbers?

Real success story:

[PS2] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon (Ubisoft) {2003-03-13} - 6,647 / 9,970
[XBX] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon (Microsoft Game Studios) {2003-09-25} - 2,733 / 8,324
[XBX] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Island Thunder (Microsoft Game Studios) {2004-03-11} - - / 6,459
[PS2] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Jungle Storm (Ubisoft) {2005-06-23} - 4,306 / 4,306
[PS2] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2 (Ubisoft) {2005-08-18} - - / 18,388
[360] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter (Ubisoft) {2006-06-29} - 4,849 / 8,903
[PS3] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 (Ubisoft) {2007-11-08} - 8,056 / 22,771
[360] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 (Ubisoft) {2007-07-12} - 7,227 / 15,994

[PS3] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (Ubisoft) {2012-07-05} - 23,021 / 23,021
[360] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (Ubisoft) {2012-07-05} - 4,954 / 4,954

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
...Oh, right, we were forgetting Media Create :lol

http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20120711063/

001.gif

hiska-kun

Media Create Hardware:

3DS 52.421 (Last Week: 66.391)
PS3 14.536 (17.292)
PSV 13.758 (25.636)
PSP 10.999 (10.674)
WII 6.818 (6.987)
NDS 1.110 (1.568)
PS2 1.123 (1.250)
360 967 (1.156)

Media Create Software:

01./01. [NDS] Pokemon Black 2 / White 2 <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2012.06.23} (¥4.800) – 184.648 / 2.167.166
02./00. [3DS] Etrian Odyssey IV: Denshou no Kyojin <RPG> (Atlus) {2012.07.05} (¥6.279) – 95.506 / NEW
03./00. [3DS] Little Battlers eXperience: Explosive Boost <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.07.05} (¥4.400) – 54.354 / NEW
04./00. [PSP] Toriko: Gourmet Survival! 2 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.05} (¥5.230) – 38.640 / NEW

05./00. [3DS] Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.05} (¥5.040) – 29.630 / NEW
06./05. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2012.05.31} (¥5.490) – 27.827 / 794.207 (-43%)
07./00. [PS3] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2012.07.05} (¥7.770) – 23.319 / NEW
08./00. [PS3] Max Anarchy <ACT> (Sega) {2012.07.05} (¥7.980) – 21.916 / NEW

09./02. [PS3] Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of the Land of Twilight <RPG> (Gust) {2012.06.28} (¥7.140) – 13.785 / 74.333
10./03. [3DS] Culdcept <TBL> (Nintendo) {2012.06.28} (¥4.800) – 12.019 / 67.488
11./13. [WII] Mario Party 9 <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.04.26} (¥5.800) – 11.150 / 472.324
12./15. [3DS] Mario Tennis Open <SPT> (Nintendo) {2012.05.24} (¥4.800) – 8.715 / 218.263
13./11. [PSV] Persona 4 Golden <RPG> (Atlus) {2012.06.14} (¥7.329) – 7.883 / 189.749
14./06. [PS3] Resident Evil Chronicles HD Selection <STG> (Capcom) {2012.06.28} (¥4.990) – 7.728 / 41.121
15./13. [PS3] Tokyo Jungle <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2012.06.07} (¥4.980) – 7.609 / 185.013
16./04. [PS3] Robotics;Notes # <ADV> (5pb.) {2012.06.28} (¥7.140) – 7.511 / 62.264
17./00. [360] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2012.07.05} (¥7.770) – 6.489 / NEW
18./08. [PSV] Metal Gear Solid HD Edition <ADV> (Konami) {2012.06.28} (¥4.980) – 6.458 / 26.597
19./19. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800) – 5.783 / 1.643.564
20./16. [PSP] Kenka Bancho Bros: Tokyo Battle Royale <ADV> (Spike) {2012.06.21} (¥5.229) – 5.714 / 38.809

ZenaxPure

I wouldn't say it's that crazy. If you look at the sales numbers each week there is generally at least 1 or 2 new releases for the 3DS. While most of them are more niche stuff they still exist and have built up momentum over time. Not to mention the trinity that has been selling anywhere from 5 to 7k each week for what feels like forever now.

On the other hand the other systems have a lot more dry spots. PS3 still gets some stuff every now and then but I think the last "major" Wii release was... Mario Party 9? And that was months ago. Vita is vita of course, no "system seller" for the mass market yet.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I expect much more from NSMB 2 than 400k first week. That's barely better than 3D land.

maybe first two days?
How is that week going to be anyway, sales-wise? Full seven days or just two or three? If it's seven days then you might be right. 600k would be more indicated

GhaleonQ

I'd argue that Game Arts and Platinum Games are equally creative and that the gap between the former's ambition and the latter's is much smaller than the gap in their production costs.

And look what happened!

Top Bottom