• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Weekly Sales: Week 26, 2012 (Jun 25 - Jul 01)

Bruno MB

How's the Atelier debut compared to previous PS3 Ateliers ?

[PS3] Atelier Rorona: Alchemist of Arland (Gust) {2009.06.25} - 47,456
[PS3] 1-2 Totori Atelier - The Alchemist of Arland (Gust) {2010.06.24} - 72,836
[PS3] Atelier Meruru: The Alchemist of Arland 3 (Gust) {2011.06.23} - 100,722

[PS3] Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of the Land of Twilight <RPG> (Gust) {2012.06.28} (¥7.140) - 75,874 / NEW

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Thanks.

Looks like a bit of franchise fatigue is getting to them.

Well it's also set in a new setting, so that could contribute as well. Bare in mind Atelier games are nothing new, this is like, the 14th one. Franchise fatigue would have probably set in ages ago.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
For Media Create, it's even worse.

05./00. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid HD Edition # <ADV> (Konami) {2011.11.23} (¥5.480) - 61.192 / NEW
05./00. [3DS] Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D # <ADV> (Konami) {2012.03.08} (¥5.980) - 38.374 / NEW
[PSV] MGS HD 20,139

Well it's also set in a new setting, so that could contribute as well. Bare in mind Atelier games are nothing new, this is like, the 14th one. Franchise fatigue would have probably set in ages ago.

Maybe the protagonist was not young enough this time? Just kidding but it dropped quite a bit, and I do think investment where not lower.

RurouniZel

Maybe the protagonist was not young enough this time? Just kidding but it dropped quite a bit, and I do think investment where not lower.

Yeah, I do wonder if the change in artist had some effect on sales. I also wonder what else debuted alongside Meruru's release, 'cause I don't think that launched anywhere near a big game like Pokemon?

chris3116

chrisnnnn asking elementary sales questions is the most confusing part of this thread.

All I wanted to know is what are the differences. I read the thread each week before I was a junior but it's always the same Famitsu VS Media Create things that it's on my mind. I don't want to confuse anyone. lol

jcm

All I wanted to know is what are the differences. I read the thread each week before I was a junior but it's always the same Famitsu VS Media Create things that it's on my mind. I don't want to confuse anyone. lol

I'm just messing with you. No offense intended.

Road

Anyone know what the expectations were on Robotic:Notes? Did it just sneak up on everyone?

[360] Chaos;Head Noah (5pb.) {2009-02-26} - 17,952 / 24,362
[360] Steins;Gate (5pb.) {2009-10-15} - 16,434 / 52,495
[360] Chaos;Head Love Chu Chu! (5pb.) {2010-03-25} - 19,424 / 26,523
[PSP] Chaos;Head Love Chu Chu! (5pb.) {2011-01-27} - 8,203 / 8,203
[360] Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling (5pb.) {2011-06-16} - 40,473 / 51,896
[360] Steins;Gate Double Pack [Steins;Gate / Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling] (5pb.) {2011-06-16} - 10,803 / 12,100
[PSP] Steins;Gate (Kadokawa Shoten) {2011-06-23} - 85,918 / 134,919
[PSP] Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling (5pb.) {2012-04-26} - 26,581 / 33,587

[PS3] Robotics;Notes # <ADV> (5pb.) {2012.06.28} (¥7.140) - 57,797 / NEW
[360] Robotics;Notes # <ADV> (5pb.) {2012.06.28} (¥7.140) - 17,076 / NEW

A lower debut than the Steins;Gate PSP port, but the best debut for a new release among the 5pb. semicolon ADV games (excluding the PC versions). No idea about what was expected, though.

RurouniZel

I believe Atelier fanbase is made of video gamers that do not have any problem in buying more than one game per week, if one it's Atelier, but that's just my thought.

You're probably correct. I guess if the next game stays at the same rate or declines then we can really draw conclusions. :)

Pretty decent boost for Vita. Unfortunately, July is going to be terrible for it unless Time Travelers breaks out as some system selller. August also doesn't look good as well until Hatsune Miku. I think we're seeing how badly the Vita situation was handled as it definitely seems like people want the device and it isn't completely undesirable like the 360.

It's also strange the 3DS held up so well from the LL announcement. Could we maybe see a lower debut on that model that we're used to?

icecream

Public Health Threat
A lower debut than the Steins;Gate PSP port, but the best debut for a new release.
That's an unfair comparison, as the portable versions Usually sell better because of the wider userbase and popularity in the market. Not to mention the PSP version cashed-in perfectly during the airing if the series.

What Robotics;Notes proves is that 5pb truly has a franchise hit that demonstrates growth with each new iteration, in relative terms of course.

And you also forgot the sales for the PS3 version of Steins;Gate and Renri no Darling (the double pack sold ~9,223, Renri ~5,397, and Steins;Gate standalone less than 4,500).

I guess this means no more handheld Metal Gear. Actually, after ZOEHD, I wonder if Kojima will actually follow through on his commitment that all Kojipro games will get Vita releases? They're already skipping Revengeance...

RPGamer92

Banned
I guess this means no more handheld Metal Gear. Actually, after ZOEHD, I wonder if Kojima will actually follow through on his commitment that all Kojipro games will get Vita releases? They're already skipping Revengeance...
MGS was probably profitable since it was just a port job.

Isn't the ZoE HD Vita even in flux that it will release? Something about the PS3 version not having the transfar option?

MGS was probably profitable since it was just a port job.

They did have to hire another studio (Armature) and market the game, but in the end it will probably break even at least.

Bruno MB

Damn.

Whats the last LTD we have for MGS: 3D?

Media Create

17./05. [3DS] Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D # <ADV> (Konami) {2012.03.08} (¥5.980) - 9.027 / 47.401 (2nd week)

Famitsu

23./16. [3DS] Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D # <ADV> (Konami) {2012.03.08} (¥5.980) - 5.935 / 48.912 (3rd week)

Media Create

17./05. [3DS] Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D # <ADV> (Konami) {2012.03.08} (¥5.980) - 9.027 / 47.401 (2nd week)

Famitsu

23./16. [3DS] Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D # <ADV> (Konami) {2012.03.08} (¥5.980) - 5.935 / 48.912 (3rd week)

So probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-51k now. Half the game for ¥1.000 more. Never thought I'd see such low numbers for an MGS title. (Even if it is a port)

LuuKyK

Why did Atelier drop in sales (compared to Meruru)? I mean sales were increasing with each new entry, and now they drop? Is this franchise fatigue already? Maybe the price? I dont know.

Unless Time Travelers is a hit, not likely.

Hopefully Time Travelers does well. I'm not even particularly interested in the game, but for some reason I want to see Level 5 catch some breath. Watching Level 5 create million sellers on the DS with truly original IP's was pretty exciting and it's unfortunate seeing how they have completely lost it over the past two years.
So hopefully TT does well for the type of game it is. If they release a game on three platforms and can't get a decent result out of it they may as well just stop trying and make more White Knight Chronicles.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Why did Atelier drop in sales (compared to Meruru)? I mean sales were increasing with each new entry, and now they drop? Is this franchise fatigue already?
While it would be rather pleasant to imagine that people are finally tired of Gust's pandering, the reality most likely is because it's a new franchise. New setting, new art, new characters, meaning more people will have first-time hesitation.

The game will likely have strong legs if it actually turns out to tickle its fans enough, and subsequent entries into the new series should have successive increases in sales as well. If the next game in the Twilight series sells worse than Ayasha, then you should really start worrying.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Why did Atelier drop in sales (compared to Meruru)? I mean sales were increasing with each new entry, and now they drop? Is this franchise fatigue already? Maybe the price? I dont know.

"Already"? This is the 14th mainline game in the series (16th if you count both PSP versions).

The sales probably slowed down because the game has a new setting, while the other three PS3 games are directly connected. This also means Ayesha could have longer legs.

Cuddler

Are those numbers for pokemon really good for a sequel? In what kind of way is Black/White 2 a sequel? Story wise?
Sorry, but I'm not really aware
Is this really similar to the first one? Why 1,400,000 people have not bought the sequel to one of their favourite game? Terrible numbers for .Hack :'(

Are those numbers for pokemon really good for a sequel? In what kind of way is Black/White 2 a sequel? Story wise?
Sorry, but I'm not really aware
Is this really similar to the first one? Why 1,400,000 people have not bought the sequel to one of their favourite game? Terrible numbers for .Hack :'(
The best comparison is probably something like FFX-2 or FFXIII-2. A direct sequel but not the next main game in the series.

Top Bottom