• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jared Kushner named person of interest in Russian investigation

slit

I'm insinuating that goal posts have moved from nothing will happen to pardons for everyone. Excuse my French, but something tells me the feds won't only bring charges that will be wiped with a pen swipe. I also believe he'll be out of office when he gets his.

There is no federal crime that can't be pardoned by him, including treason. He can also pardon before any official charges are levied.

slit

So like i stated, this will be the new nothing will happen line.

Well sorry if you don't like discussion but I never took the original position that "nothing" would happen to him. Those posts were mostly hit and run without an explanation.

theWB27

Well sorry if you don't like discussion but I never took the original position that "nothing" would happen to him. Those posts were mostly hit and run without an explanation.

I'm not meaning this is your stance... I'm saying the pardon argument will be used for that purpose.

Pardoning all involved will not help Trump avoid impeachment. As for a GOP replacement pardoning Trump, I believe there is real potential for that but it will be even more damaging to the party, in my opinion. He also has potential State charges following, which they can do nothing about. Unlike with Nixon, pardoning Trump will not remove him from the spotlight.

Loki

Count of Concision
I'd like to think that a President pardoning himself (if it's possible) for something of this nature and magnitude wouldn't sit well with the American people on either end of the political spectrum. If he did it, and we didn't have an immediate movement for impeachment by Congress, there might very well be tremendous civil upheaval.

Pardoning all involved will not help Trump avoid impeachment. As for a GOP replacement pardoning Trump, I believe there is real potential for that but it will be even more damaging to the party, in my opinion. He also has potential State charges following, which they can do nothing about. Unlike with Nixon, pardoning Trump will not remove him from the spotlight.

So he goes back to his currupt life like nothing happens? I hope he at the very least loses his businesses and is made an example of.

slit

I'd like to think that a President pardoning himself for something of this nature and magnitude wouldn't sit well with the American people on either end of the political spectrum. If he did it, and we didn't have an immediate movement for impeachment by Congress, there might very well be tremendous civil upheaval.

It's not even clear he can pardon himself. He can pardon those around him. If he pardoned himself that would be uncharted waters.

I'd like to think that a President pardoning himself (if it's possible) for something of this nature and magnitude wouldn't sit well with the American people on either end of the political spectrum. If he did it, and we didn't have an immediate movement for impeachment by Congress, there might very well be tremendous civil upheaval.

It would be invalidated by the courts, I have no doubt. It isn't explicitly forbidden but it is such an absurd abuse of power that the courts will find a way to interpret the Constitution to avoid that kind of insanity.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
If there was ever a presidency to test the limits of the power to pardon, it's this presidency. The fact that we are seriously having this discussion three months into it is shameful.

Top Bottom