• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Kaplan acknowledging loot box feedback in Overwatch

giphy.gif

hbkdx12

Can't they just find a way to eliminate duplicates all together? It'd be nice if every loot box I opened​ offered new stuff.
Don't see how. They'd be losing out on real world money and it significantly increases the odds that people will get all the items which means they won't feel "special" as they intend

bender

What time is it?
someone made a video saying it's like 58k and previous events were around 35k.

I feel like they took the summer games event to heart because 1) it was the first event and 2) the game was still "new". They hadn't built up the cache to be like "fuck you, pay me"

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this event. If the next event is the same, i'll agree with your assessment.

I also agree that duplicates skins should be worth more gold. They should just make the tier of the skin equivalent to the payout of the tiered gold chest. That would make legendary duplicate skins worth 500 coins instead of 200.

Honestly this event feels less like a one year celebration and more of a fuck you give us money! There's just no way in hell anyone could unlock everything they want, let alone EVERYTHING, through ranking up alone. No way. Giving 200 measly coins for a duplicate legendary is a joke.

They should have made everything for this event permanent, or at the very fucking least give us double XP.

Good, they're listening to feedback. It worked after the summer games. I imagine it's hard for them to react quickly by changing their entire microtransaction revenue stream and economy without crossing leagues of red tape and dealing with Activision. Shareholders gotta get paid. Like, these things are slow but I imagine they'll address people's concerns.

But then your less likely to buy even more of their micro-transactions

True, but the flip side is that I might actually buy more loot boxes because I would be guaranteed new stuff. It may not be stuff I want, or for a character I play, but I would feel less dirty about buying them.

Orca

I take a lot of breaks from the game and I also dont need every skin from every event, but usually when i do participate i either have credits saved up, drop $20, or just get what i want from boxes from playing

https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Strakt-1429

Top 11% for rank, almost 9 days playtime, don't want every skin, but still sometimes throw $20 at it when events come up to get the ones you want...and you think people are crazy for saying the system sucks for average players and wanting changes?

Saying it's 'working for you' doesn't mean it works for everyone.

Paltheos

Allot of people have been very critical of Jeff - Or, for them, maybe, it's just 'some voice from Blizzard' - But as a guy who's been a member of this community for the past year, Jeff doesn't say they're looking into something and then do nothing about it. If it was something they couldn't do anything about or was necessary to their model, he would have and has explained it. Jeff's touched a bunch of potential landmines when interacting with the community, and he's built a good rapport with me, at least, for it.

The main issue in all of this imo is the amount of gold you get for dupes. Like only 250 for a duplicate Legendary skin is ridiculous. I get they need to monetize and make money so getting the full 1000 gold is unrealistic, but you should at least get half of the items value

I've seen this figure quoted incorrectly a few times the past few days. For the record, you get 200 gold for duplicate legendaries, not 250.

Nightbird

There's a series of easy fixes that can be applied to this, IMO, but the two most obvious fixes would be:
  1. Dupes should give half of the item's current value as gold. That means event legendaries should give 1500, and regular legendaries should give 500.
  2. Provide an EXP boost weekend of some sort at least once during each event.

Yes please

Dupes are literally the only thing that's stopping people from "playing enough" until they eventually get all the items

They've been explicit about wanting these items to feel "special" by not having everyone have everything.

And conveniently, keeping dupes in boxes also makes them more money. The "wanting items to feel special" line is just PR.

All the anniversary content should have been added as regular items at regular coin prices, period. I'm fine with other event-limited stuff but come on. We need more regular items in the rotation.

Strakt

Top 11% for rank, almost 9 days playtime, don't want every skin, but still sometimes throw $20 at it when events come up to get the ones you want...and you think people are crazy for saying the system sucks for average players and wanting changes?

Saying it's 'working for you' doesn't mean it works for everyone.

I throw $20 towards the game because I support it. At the end of the day lootboxes are microtransactions so future content stays free. If I really like the skins during the event, will I give money? Of course, because at the end of the day its a great game and OW will still be here 5 years later without any bs season passes, etc...

Someone who says "I don't have any immediate action items to report" in a message to fans is someone who has been in corporate meetings for so long he thinks "action items" is something normal people say.

This is a classic Blizzard response to something they've done to piss off their fanbase, right down to the, "no more complaints about this outside of this thread we can ignore and let the mods worry about."

Pretty neatly wraps up all the complaints into one easily-ignorable thread while saying they've heard you, are doing nothing right now, but might do something one day.

Yep, pretty much. Overwatch players are a bunch of marks to Blizzard, y'all are being played.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Theres 3 major problems with their loot box system:

1) Duplicates give way too little coins

2) Event stuff costs way too much

3) Drop rates for legendaries and epics too low

They can keep that loot box gamblimg bullshit but they have to adjust one or more of those issues to be reasonable. Right now theyre beyond stingy with it.

Gxgear

I stopped playing because of the dupes. It's just not fun.

Same, but I play the arcade weeklies at least then move on to something else for the week. There's nothing to play for other than cosmetics, and the dupes percentage feels more punishing than rewarding.

Phu

Banned
I'm already prepared to dump 6-9k of my gold at the end of this event just to get the few things I actually want because I already know it's not worth believing in the gamble. :\ I'd say their loot box system is failing when I see them more as ways to get some spare change that I can eventually save for something rather than a box of fun goodies that makes me want to open more.

If the loot boxes are so exploitative in general (and the Anniversary ones in particular), why haven't Blizzard done the good guy thing and made the base game free to play yet? I would actually check it out for myself at that point....
or if it came to Switch, either way.

I always wonder what he would say if PR didn't hold him back. I miss his guild website updates on Legacy of Steel back during Everquest. He was one to not hold back.

I truly have no idea why a limited time crate with over a 100 fucking exclusive items that we can only get for three weeks needs to be mashed with the normal loot box stuff, it's ridiculous.

So far the only events items I got has been freaking player icons nobody uses and duped voice lines. Two of the same new voice lines in the same damn crate. I love Overwatch as a game, his universe and mechanics, but the rewards system is absolutely garbage.

During the last event, I spent $40 on loot boxes and didn't get the Mercy skin. I ended up getting the skin through a level-up loot box, but it taught me to never again spend money on it. I really would purchase some skins straight up if they let me.

Fugu

I don't know a single person who actually plays this game and has trouble getting the shit they want.

This line of criticism always surprises me.

If the loot boxes are so exploitative in general (and the Anniversary ones in particular), why haven't Blizzard done the good guy thing and made the base game free to play yet?
I know if this was the case I would certainly be less aggressive in my distaste for the game and, by proxy, Blizzard. I manage to enjoy HOTS reasonably enough despite it now having a similar loot system.

Orca

I don't know a single person who actually plays this game and has trouble getting the shit they want.

This line of criticism always surprises me.

Well that's it then. Problem solved guys. Someone let Blizzard know they don't need to change anything.

Theres 3 major problems with their loot box system:

1) Duplicates give way too little coins

2) Event stuff costs way too much

3) Drop rates for legendaries and epics too low

They can keep that loot box gamblimg bullshit but they have to adjust one or more of those issues to be reasonable. Right now theyre beyond stingy with it.

agreed

Strakt

Well that's it then. Problem solved guys. Someone let Blizzard know they don't need to change anything.

No one says they shouldn't change anything, but the level of criticism reaches a point where people expect to have every single item available from events, which will NEVER happen.

Same, but I play the arcade weeklies at least then move on to something else for the week. There's nothing to play for other than cosmetics, and the dupes percentage feels more punishing than rewarding.
tenor.gif

If the loot boxes are so exploitative in general (and the Anniversary ones in particular), why haven't Blizzard done the good guy thing and made the base game free to play yet? I would actually check it out for myself at that point....
or if it came to Switch, either way.
wew lad it'd be shimada bros. overload if they did that

if it ever does go free to play I would hope they'd give buyers $40 worth of lootboxes at least

Last time we complained about event loot they responded and changed it appropriately. Why assume he is blowing smoke up our asses when they have changed things when the community spoke up about it in mostly every case? Guarantee the next event will be different. Also what is up with these "Jeff is a lying fucking snake" like comments? Like settle the fuck down.

All the anniversary content should have been added as regular items at regular coin prices, period. I'm fine with other event-limited stuff but come on. We need more regular items in the rotation.
This. We didn't need another event right on the heels of Uprising, we needed more permanent items.

also agreed

kinda a backhanded 1 year celebration

there's been 1 unique skin added to the game in the entire year that hasn't been time limited

there was also a quote from jeff where when asked about adding more permanent cosmetics he cited the sombra laugh and sit emotes, the orisa sit and laugh emotes, tracer getting a new emote and more that would be in the regular rotation so I took it to mean that the dances would all be 250 and permanent. Which they should have been. How naive of me to think the "more" wouldn't be about celebration emotes for a 1 year celebration and just a few random things down the line from now.

tbm24

I don't mind loot boxes, but don't make every epic 3k gold and have an event where there's so many of them. Legendaries are useless as a category at this point and they should just adjust the epic cost to 1k.

That soon (or already in some cases) half the legendary skins will be locked behind events is pretty damn annoying. I think this event so soon after the last one is helping more people finally realize it.

And conveniently, keeping dupes in boxes also makes them more money. The "wanting items to feel special" line is just PR.
Especially when they allow people to buy boxes and get them so the special crap is bullshit when so many have them already.
This is another big problem that isn't addressed, it's been a year but only a handful of items have been added to the permanent pool.

This is another big problem that isn't addressed, it's been a year but only a handful of items have been added to the permanent pool.
Skins that have been added to the permanent pool: Reinhardt's Eichenwalde armor (2 variants)

Emotes that have been added to the permanent pool: Tracer's finger gun emote (to bring her up to the same emote count as everyone else)
Reaper's shrug emote
Sitting emotes

Victory poses that have been added to the permanent pool: Reaper's shrug

Highlight intros that have been added to the permanent pool: None

lol

Head.spawn

I'm sure they had a discussion on all of this when they created this shitty situation too, so this rings a bit hollow.

Anyways, I got some guy on twitter telling me he got 4 anniv. skins when he bought 20 boxes, lol. I wanna choke him a bit.

So they've been testing the limits of their fans with this BS greed and only now realised oh shit looks like we went too far, disgraceful way of treating the players.

A limited timed anniversary event supposedly 'celebrating' the fans and Overwatch's first year that's just even more bullshit GIVE US MONEY FOR GAMBLING BOXES OR ELSE YOU GONNA MISS OUT LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

They did it too soon after the last one, and they filled this event with items that should have just been added to the regular pool not limited.

"Woops we pushed you too far, we know now our greed limit so look forward to maybe something changing in the future when we start recycling content that you already have."

F**k off with that shit.

Top Bottom