• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jenga coming to Wii

No6

Mr. Pachunga Chung said:
wtf...i will assume you meant unable to render enough blocks at an acceptable framerate...and i will call BS on that also.
Actually, the physics processing required to accurately reproduce Jenga is probably pretty steep. The challenge of the game comes from QA/QC limitations during manufacturing, resulting in every block having different friction, weight, and shape parameters that are mostly invisible to the naked eye but can be felt when you try to move a block.

Simulating every block pushing against every other in a large cohesive tower would be a significant power sink unless you stripped the whole thing to identical smooth blocks, in which case a "winning" solution would appear (since the entire tower could be reduced to a set of simple numbers).

And the Uno comparisons are retarded. Uno is a card game where nothing is lost by playing it on a screen. Jenga is a physical game.

Zalasta

Geez, are people so freaking lazy that they would play Jenga on a console instead of the real thing? What's next? Virtual legos on the Wii? Maybe one day they'll come up with a game that will play by itself and I can just stop moving altogether.

jmdajr

spartajenga.gif

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
... the ****? :lol

It needs to be SUPER cheap. And probably needs 20 other games that work better in real life bundled with it.

Uno, fair enough- it's a laugh online and not everyone has tons of friends to play the game in real life on a regular basis.

Jenga? No. In fact no to all other card and board games on home consoles.

At least you dont have to clean it up after your drunk father comes home from the bars and knocks it over. Then he throws the pieces in your face, calling you a pussy and that you cant take him.

nli10

Needs alterable gravity, special moves and shed loads of modes & online but it could work.

Chances are it's just a block pull puzzle game that uses the Jenga license though. Imagine tetris with all the pieces there at the start and you have to pull them out to make lines or something.

Eitherway - if just the name on a release list produces this many responses it was worth buying the license...

Mr. Pachunga Chung said:
wtf...i will assume you meant unable to render enough blocks at an acceptable framerate...and i will call BS on that also.
I dunno I'm not trying to start anything but it does seems like Jenga would take A LOT of processing power, just look at what No6 wrote......

No6 said:
Actually, the physics processing required to accurately reproduce Jenga is probably pretty steep. The challenge of the game comes from QA/QC limitations during manufacturing, resulting in every block having different friction, weight, and shape parameters that are mostly invisible to the naked eye but can be felt when you try to move a block.

Simulating every block pushing against every other in a large cohesive tower would be a significant power sink unless you stripped the whole thing to identical smooth blocks, in which case a "winning" solution would appear (since the entire tower could be reduced to a set of simple numbers).

And the Uno comparisons are retarded. Uno is a card game where nothing is lost by playing it on a screen. Jenga is a physical game.

jmdajr said:
Nice hhahahaha

Sean

Banned
Awesome, this is the perfect game for the Wii.

I have not played Jenga in years, I kinda wanna buy a set now.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
speculawyer said:
wtf?

Seriously . . . WTF?!?!?

Isn't it cheaper, better, and more real to use real wooden blocks than to create some elaborate virtual representation of wooden blocks?

$10.99 for the real thing or $49.99 for virtual representation. WTF?!?!?!

Please tell me this is a joke.

Can you play real Jenga online? Eh? EH??

Danthrax said:
Can you play real Jenga online? Eh? EH??

No . . . and that actually does sound kinda cool.

Of course the Wii is the worst online console of the three, but it has the best controller for it.

Threi

notag
No6 said:

Ah yes, i forgot about friction :lol . It dynamically changes with each individual block.

My bad, I stand corrected. (Thanks for taking me back to high school physics class btw...>_>)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
speculawyer said:
No . . . and that actually does sound kinda cool.

Of course the Wii is the worst online console of the three, but it has the best controller for it.

FWIW, though, this game really can't be more expensive than $20 -- online or not.

Bildi

grindamasta said:
Hmmm how many Wiimotes we will need to play that? :lol
:lol

I wish the Wiimote would have a mic so I have to yell 'JENGA!' to win. In any case, I'll be picking this up right after I get Hannah whatever-the-f*ck-her-name-was.

PkunkFury

at Siggraph 2 years ago someone showed off an awesome haptic Jenga. I can't find a better link than this one, though: http://www.stanford.edu/class/cs277/project3.pdf

The Wii only has rumble but it could still pulse a bit when you are tugging a little too fast. My guess is the game will be more about keeping your hand steady and making straight pulling motions. It could be neat, especially if they get crazy and add items or strange physics stuff that you can't do in real life (sticky blocks, slippery blocks, etc)

I tried playing Jenga in Elebits a few times, but I could never stack the blocks well enough to get a good sart. Some would always be crooked

cicero

speculawyer said:
wtf?

Seriously . . . WTF?!?!?

Isn't it cheaper, better, and more real to use real wooden blocks than to create some elaborate virtual representation of wooden blocks?

$10.99 for the real thing or $49.99 for virtual representation. WTF?!?!?!

Please tell me this is a joke.
You should know better than that, ATAR does not joke, it's not a very profitable thing to do in the long run.

MrDaravon

shidoshi said:
You know what would be badass?!?

You buy like 40 ~ 50 Wiimotes, and then stack them like you stack the Jenga blocks, and as you remove each Wiimote from the stack, in real time the fully rendered, light-shaded, bump-mapped 3D virtual blocks on the screen remove themself from the stack in the exact same way!

:lol :lol

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
it has begun.

kutaraki steps down, jenga comes to a home console to sell millions.

good bye games as we know it. RIP 1994-2007

now its official:

LYON, FRANCE – 6 July 2007 – Atari today announced that it will publish Jenga, based on the world famous wooden block tower building game. Designed to make the most of the innovative control systems on Wii and DS, the game will offer unpredictable, quick-paced, tactical play that combines suspense and risk-taking, where mounting anticipation comes to a crashing climax. Licensed by Pokonobe Associates and developed by Atomic Planet, Jenga for the Nintendo DS and Wii will ship in November 2007.

“Fans of the Jenga family of games will fall in love with this exciting brand all over again,” said Jeremiah Cohn, senior product manager, Atari, Inc. “We are thrilled to deliver this timeless and renowned game with new variations and surprises for the Nintendo DS and Wii.”

“We are very pleased that Atari is now bringing Jenga’s universal entertainment appeal to video gamers worldwide,” added Paul Eveloff of Pokonobe Associates. “This new platform will extend the opportunity to play Jenga to video gamers and generate exceptional new play experiences. Atari’s Jenga for the Nintendo DS and Wii takes the Edge-of-Your-Seat Fun™ and party game style brilliantly to video game players of all skill levels!”

Players of the Wii version can get physical with the Wii Remote™ and Nunchuk™ controllers as they battle to keep the Jenga tower from falling, while on the DS the touch screen provides equally intuitive control of the fast-paced action. Players will experience sophisticated physics, and a multitude of game-play options (single and multiplayer). The game will contain all the fun, intensity and challenge of the original boxed game with a wealth of exciting new enhancements, power-ups and twists that are possible only in the videogame world. Simple to learn and fun to play, Jenga promises great entertainment for all ages.

59096472420070706174612.jpg

140768478920070706174638.jpg

20320957920070706174652.jpg

koam

wtf, it doesn't even use hand guestures but uses the pointer? This better come in a cereal box.

when are they releasing a ouija board for the wii? OMG I THINK IT MOVED.

alu

I am actually interested in this one. My Wii doesn't get a lot of playtime as of lately anyways, and I think this game could be tons of fun. No, I'm not being sarcastic. This could also improve your mad wiimote skillz.

alu said:
My Wii doesn't get a lot of playtime as of lately anyways
Ungh, so you're Wii doesn't get played much- so you will buy a game for it that you wouldn't buy had the releases been better? Lack of compelling Wii software lowering gamers standards.

Current state: looks like ass. For a game that is doing so little technically, compared to Elebits which was also quite physics intensive. Look at the textures on that book case.

No6

Visualante said:
Current state: looks like ass. For a game that is doing so little technically, compared to Elebits which was also quite physics intensive. Look at the textures on that book case.
Forget the bookcase, look at the blocks. You'd think they'd put a bit of effort into making the blocks look half-decent. It's not like you spend the entire game looking at the bookcase.

Model 500

greendublin said:
If Cooking Mama (and for God's sake, Geometry Wars) go for $50, so too shall Jenga.

So stuff like Cooking Mama can now be bunched together with a game like GW, better yet GW Galaxies, damn, I'm feeling old*.

*anger

Top Bottom