• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeremy Parish Presents: Retronauts Works (Chronological Retrospective Series)

mokeyjoe

I think people have praised the game in this thread. Unless I'm thinking of a different James Bond game.

You must be. It was so bad and so short. I mean insultingly short. I mean it could have been a good game, maybe, the concept was good. But I literally completed it in an afternoon. I doubt there was more than 2 hours of gameplay there and it was stupidly easy and shabbily put together. I genuinely felt insulted by it.

With that said, it's been nearly 20 years since I played it, and I barely remember most of it.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Oooh, multiparter.

Mode Seven Episode #002a: Super Mario World, Part 1

If F-Zero was Nintendo's Super NES tech showcase, Super Mario World showed how their developers could expand on existing game concepts with the new hardware. This first half of Mode Seven's Super Mario World retrospective looks at the history of the game, where it sits in Nintendo's c.v., and the enormous impact on the adventure's design of a little green dinosaur.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Game Boy World #079: Dragon Slayer I [Nihon Falcom/Epoch, 1990]

Well, well, well, what have we here? It's a game by legendary developer Nihon Falcom! Don't get excited, though — this is a port of the very first game by Nihon Falcom, Dragon Slayer, which was six years old by this point but felt far more ancient than that. The action RPG had come a long way since Falcom staked their claim on the genre in 1984, and considering you could play the likes of its own successors Legacy of the Wizard and Ys on NES and Famicom by this point, this clunky and dated game is a hard sell. It has a certain appeal, but since it consists of a lengthy quest and lacks any option to save progress, it makes for a pretty awful Game Boy release. Oh well!

sugarless

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Got a couple of videos this week, continuing on with the NES/Famicom story.

Good Nintentions Episode 000, Part 2: The NES/Advanced Video System

A quick interstitial episode of the Good Nintentions origin story before we move along to the main event. The Advanced Video System never actually made its way to market, but it nevertheless existed as a key link between the Famicom and the NES and deserves study.

Good Nintentions Episode 000, Part 3: The NES/Nintendo Entertainment System

It's the end of the NES hardware retrospective as we know it, and I hope you feel fine.

This concludes Good Nintentions 1985! Look forward to 1986...someday.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Good Nintentions Gaiden Episode #03: Bio-Miracle Bokutte Upa

By request of David Morton, a look at a game that wouldn't normally have come up in Good Nintentions: Konami's Bio-Miracle Bokutte Upa. A charming little platformer, the most fascinating thing about it may be the way it deftly combines elements from games that had come before it while also including mechanics and aesthetics of classics that would show up months or even years after its debut. Not bad! Definitely worth tracking down on Wii Virtual Console.

Great video for a great game. I had a Pizza Hut near my house growing up that had a machine with Goonies in it. I spent so many quarters on it.

I mean, it's not like I had to pay for the pizza due to Book It.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Game Boy World #080: Power Missiøn [Graphic Research/VAP/NTVIC, 1990]

Join me on an exciting journey beyond the realm of my comfort zone for this look at a vintage war game best enjoyed by two people. Power Mission (or rather, "Power Missiøn") was a reasonably decent strategy game that would be immediately overshadowed by superior and better-promoted takes on the genre, including Nobunaga's Ambition and (in Japan) the precursor to the Advance Wars series. A perfectly acceptable genre piece lost forever to history…

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Good Nintentions Episode 017: Donkey Kong Jr. Math [Nintendo, 1986]

Welcome to Good Nintentions 1986! Sort of! Donkey Kong Jr. Math's release date is the subject of some uncertainty, but it's hard to imagine much of anyone cares. There's not much good about this game, which in some ways feels as though it was shipped before being completed. The very definition of a quick-and-dirty attempt to fill out a release schedule with a game nobody ever asked for.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Pilotwings review: A bold attempt to one-up the PC flight sim | Mode Seven #003

Nintendo's third creation for their 16-bit console took an atypical approach for the company at the time, presenting players with a highly technical flight sim that demanded consistent, precision mastery of its varied mechanics. There's not really all that much game here, as the developers strained to exceed the boundaries of their new console, but good luck seeing this brief flight school course through to the end!

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Mach Rider retrospective: The sum total of ’80s pop culture in game form | Good Nintentions #018

The second racing game developed by HAL for Nintendo would be the first to reach the U.S. — and little surprise, as Mach Rider more than any other NES launch title seems deliberated crafted to appeal to the tastes and interests of American gamers!

For more on the history of the NES check out goodnintentions.com — and please considering using Patreon to help make possible these videos (www.patreon.com/gamespite) and the Retronauts podcast (www.patreon.com/retronauts)!

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Donkey Kong retrospective, Pt 1: Nintendo's 800-lb. gorilla | Good Nintentions #019-A

The first entry in a two-part look back at the most important game of Nintendo's early days, Donkey Kong. This half of the retrospective focuses on the design of the game and why it stood out from its arcade peers to become such a phenomenon.

I realize there's an error in the script (re: Space War), but I was unable to go back and correct it because I currently have a nasty cold and thus no voice. I'm just glad I recorded the voiceover for this before I fell ill.

PaulBizkit

Jeremy Parish's channel is so awesoooome.

I love your SNES-related episodes. I've never seen, read or heard such an in-depth analysis of Pilotwings, people only talk about F-Zero or Mario Kart when addressing Mode-7 graphics.

The Patlabor episode was really good.

AmyS

I just starting watching this series - I love it. Very good chronologically and I wonder if Jeremy Parish has done anything similar for other systems?

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I just starting watching this series - I love it. Very good chronologically and I wonder if Jeremy Parish has done anything similar for other systems?
He's also got "Good Nintentions" which covers NES games, and "Mode Seven" for the SNES.

Josh5890

Is he still looking to take Game Boy cart donations? I think I might have a couple that he is missing, providing that google doc is updated.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Gumshoe retrospective: Nintendo loves America, America loves shootin' | Good Nintentions #026

We wrap our look at the second wave of Nintendo's Black Box launch titles for the NES with a notable capstone: Gumshoe. Besides being one of the most inventive concepts for a shooter ever, Gumshoe also has the distinction of being the first NES game designed exclusively for the U.S. (and European) market. Too bad it's so punishingly difficult most American kids never saw the ending! Or even stage 2!

I really liked gumshoe even though I barely ever could make it to level two
I hated it so much. I mean it was one of like 6 NES games we had so I played it but it was easily the worst. Stupid to control, not fun to play, just awful.

Edit: I just remembered I had Back to the Future on NES as a kid and I standby my statement that Gumshoe was the worst game we had.

Top Bottom