• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jerry Bruckheimer Games closed

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Weta Workshop was working on pre-production for the Halo film, and I think Peter himself was writing for a Halo game side project but that was being developed by some other team. Both those projects were cancelled.

I don't think Wingnut Games ever received funding for anything. The idea was they would produce original IP that I think Microsoft would fund. But when everything else fell apart and Peter continued to be busy with films, nothing ever got off the ground.
Bungie actually worked on Halo Chronicles for about a year—they were close to getting to production when it was scrapped. I imagine it was the confluence of Bungie's independence and Jackson's lack of involvement that killed the project.

Haunted

At first glance it's hard to believe to have people in an idea factory collect paychecks for years without producing anything.

But then I'm reminded that mismanagement is rampant and even more egregious than you'd expect, and the games industry is no exception.

National Treasure 3 is happening? Awesome.

That makes me wonder, is there any movie director that is directly associated to a game where it didn't fall apart?

Medal of Honor does not count.

I'm wondering if Nolan's Inception game has fallen apart, or if it's just not far along in development at all.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
At first glance it's hard to believe to have people in an idea factory collect paychecks for years without producing anything.

But then I'm reminded that mismanagement is rampant and even more egregious than you'd expect, and the games industry is no exception.
It's not dissimilar to a development department of a company in Hollywood—very few ideas ever actually get made.

I'm wondering if Nolan's Inception game has fallen apart, or if it's just not far along in development at all.
It never entered development—publishers and central creative groups incubate all sorts of concepts, and I presume that is where any activity on the Inception game occured. Nolan just spoke too soon—project has almost no chance of happening. I really don't expect anything to come of it—Nolan's lack of involvement partially killed Monolith's Batman game. He was supposedly really hostile and very contemptuous towards the developers.

Jac_Solar

These celebs who started their own companies sounds like they simply were so into gaming at one point that they created a game studio and announced some plans -- but then lost interest/forgot about it.

It's not dissimilar to a development department of a company in Hollywood—very few ideas ever actually get made.

It never entered development—publishers and central creative groups incubate all sorts of concepts, and I presume that is where any activity on the Inception game occured. Nolan just spoke too soon—project has almost no chance of happening. I really don't expect anything to come of it—Nolan's lack of involvement partially killed Monolith's Batman game. He was supposedly really hostile and very contemptuous towards the developers.

Where did you hear this?

Jackson

I met with them once in I think 2009 or 2010. They were partnered with MTV Games at the time, which was partnered with Activision.

JB didn't give their "studio", which was 2 people, any operating capital to work with so they had to find funding elsewhere. But of course MTV Games at the time were interested in music related games, not action games.

They were middlemen of middlemen. It made no business sense to work with them, just work directly with Activision or something.

Film and TV icon Jerry Bruckheimer's first foray into gaming yielded no products. A Bruckheimer Films representative confirmed with GameSpot today that Jerry Bruckheimer Games, founded in 2007, is no longer moving forward.
Highly touted Jerry Bruckheimer Games founding presidents Jim Veevaert and Jay Cohen have moved on.
Veevaert is now a general manager at Zynga, while Jay Cohen left the company last year and is currently chairman of the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences.

This indicates that Veevaert has just left Jerry Bruckheimer Games, when according to Veevaert's LinkedIn profile, he left his position as "President of Production at Jerry Bruckheimer Games" to become a Zynga GM way back in 2011.

FAbeaGZ.png

And how could he have been a "founding president" if he joined in April 2009...when the studio was supposed to be "founded in 2007"? Something doesn't quite add up here.

Top Bottom