• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan: PS2 sold 160 million units

mansoor1980

Gold Member
stolen gif
PS2_anim-ventes.gif

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Sony, if you cut those current shits out and go back to PS2 root, you can sell another 160m of your console.
PS2 and PS4 had practically the same sales during their 7 year lifecycles. What SIE would need to do is to make a cheap PS5 Super Slim after PS6 is out and push it hard on emerging markets for a very long time (like a year before PS7 launches). That's what they did with PS2.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Indeed.

That was the greatest era of gaming.

I really hate the 360, Wii, ps3 era... That generation was a horror for me 🫣
It’s weird. I can fully admit pS2 generation was the golden age of gaming… but the ps360 era was my personal favourite. Many of my fav games of all time are of that gen. And I think it’s the last time we saw true progress in game design

nial

Gold Member
For a bit of fun, a lot of people don't realize that PS2 was out in Japan in early 2000, and it had fuck all of games that year.
Heck, you even had journalists criticizing and mocking Sony's first-party games on the console in that period as they were few, and mostly sucked in comparison to SEGA and Nintendo's efforts.

phant0m

What a fantastic console. Devs were focusing on making good games instead of DEI and following trends and GaaS bullshit.
There were a lot of shit games too. Don’t need to act like everything was great. But the PS2 did have a HUGE library with all kinds of games at all kinds of budgets.

More importantly, devs were able to crank titles out much faster. A game not selling 10M+ copies didn’t mean it bombed. Rockstar alone had like 7 unique titles that gen? Still zero new games for PS5/XSX 4 years in.

Killjoy-NL

More importantly, devs were able to crank titles out much faster. A game not selling 10M+ copies didn’t mean it bombed. Rockstar alone had like 7 unique titles that gen? Still zero new games for PS5/XSX 4 years in.
Gamers demands and expectations today are also much much higher than back in the day.

Even with all the development time, money and polish put in today's games, people still go: "why the fuck isn't this game native 4k, 60fps, with raytracing, supersmart AI, full interactivity in an open-world that has unique encounters and loot in every section of the map???", while also demanding graphical assets to be pushed to the max, because otherwise it isn't "next-gen".

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Gamers demands and expectations today are also much much higher than back in the day.

Even with all the development time, money and polish put in today's games, people still go: "why the fuck isn't this game native 4k, 60fps, with raytracing, supersmart AI, full interactivity in an open-world that has unique encounters and loot in every section of the map???", while also demanding graphical assets to be pushed to the max, because otherwise it isn't "next-gen".
they're not higher. They advertised those standards to us, failed to meet them, and are getting mad when we're complaining.

in the PS2 era, they advertised better looking 5th gen games and gave us more than that. That's how they sold so many consoles back then.

Killjoy-NL

they're not higher. They advertised those standards to us, failed to meet them, and are getting mad when we're complaining.

in the PS2 era, they advertised better looking 5th gen games and gave us more than that. That's how they sold so many consoles back then.
Pretty sure there's a lot more to making a modern day game than it was back in the day.

Development teams increased in size for a reason, same as development time and subsequently development cost.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Nah they didn't advertise it that way, just that they would be available.

They are higher because anything AA is looked down upon. Everything has to be 100+ hours.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I would be surprised if any traditional home console gets that number again any time soon.
At this point I wonder if Nintendo couldn’t just do a traditional home console and outsell its competitors.

Microsoft is irrelevant, and Sony have painted themselves into a corner with their enormous budgets and development times.

Nintendo could release a decently powerful home console for $400 and full support for third-party titles and keep releasing the games they’re known for that don’t cost $250M+ and take 5 years to make. However, this would also diminish their appeal so perhaps what they’re doing is for the best.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Nah they didn't advertise it that way, just that they would be available.

They are higher because anything AA is looked down upon. Everything has to be 100+ hours.
This.

Just look at how Helldivers 2 was criticized for it's mediocre graphics at launch.
People seem to have forgotten all about it due to it's success, but many were complaining about it.

That's the sole reason AAA games have become what they are today.

Unknown?

At this point I wonder if Nintendo couldn’t just do a traditional home console and outsell its competitors.

Microsoft is irrelevant, and Sony have painted themselves into a corner with their enormous budgets and development times.

Nintendo could release a decently powerful home console for $400 and full support for third-party titles and keep releasing the games they’re known for that don’t cost $250M+ and take 5 years to make. However, this would also diminish their appeal so perhaps what they’re doing is for the best.
Huh? Nintendo isn't immune from long development cycles either. That's why Switch had to rely so heavily on Wii U ports initially and for several years after too.

Top Bottom