• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterling, Laura Kate Dale: Warning to Yooka-Laylee Pre-Orderers

Wow. Imagine if this mentality about framerates existed during n64 era.

People seem so much more snobbish nowadays.

The Banjo games, and n64 games in general, had stuttery frames. Ive never heard anyone complain about that. Games are completely loved and cherished.

The Banjo games, and n64 games in general, had stuttery frames. Ive never heard anyone complain about that. Games are completely loved and cherished.
As technology progresses, so do people's expectations. This is a ridiculous stance to take, akin to:
"Wow. Imagine if this mentality about automobile standard features existed during the forties and fifties.

The 1950 Chevrolet Bel Air, and cars in general, had no power steering, manual windows and transmissions, and split windshields. Cars that are completely loved and cherished."

Do you see how worthless that statement is? Things can be great for their time, but if a major auto manufacturer released a car that didn't conform with modern expectations for standard features (like an acceptable frame rate should be for a 3d video game), they'd get rightfully shit on.

NateDrake

Hey, anyone talking about the game? There are a few new and mostly positive previews out there.

We might wanna get on topic again and not waste our time with fruitless discussions about liking or not liking Jim...

Impressions have been positive by most, and some even have dismissed the claims Jim and Laura have made. The issue with their comments are that they are vague and don't specify which version of the game they are playing while other users have stated whether they are playing on PC or Xbox One. Without context to what is bad or worrisome about the game, the comment alone only stands to cause speculation and fear about these concerns expressed.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
How can anyone dislike the guy who gives us "Fuck Konami" segments???

Thank God for him.

baconcow

Aww you buy Sterlings whole fight for justice on Youtube? You realise that he pretends to be a good guy by not showing ads on his videos then makes bank outside of Youtube right? While insisting on using the Youtube services.

He is very open about making money on Patreon and even openly mentions other minor things. I'm sure he could easily make over $11.8k monthly with his given subscribers and view counts if he were to put ads on his YouTube videos.

As someone that used to hate Jim because of his DmC review, jesus fuck this thread is atrocious. Oh no he gave the game you love a decent score!

Jesus christ, just grow the hell up.

But you don't understand, Zelda is the best game of all time. He's just trolling to lower the metacritic!

I don't even watch Jim's videos but I don't understand why he's being attacked for saying Yooka Laylee is choppy.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
As technology progresses, so do people's expectations. This is a ridiculous stance to take, akin to:
"Wow. Imagine if this mentality about automobile standard features existed during the forties and fifties.

The 1950 Chevrolet Bel Air, and cars in general, had no power steering, manual windows and transmissions, and split windshields. Cars that are completely loved and cherished."

Do you see how worthless that statement is? Things can be great for their time, but if a major auto manufacturer released a car that didn't conform with modern expectations for standard features (like an acceptable frame rate should be for a 3d video game), they'd get rightfully shit on.

Exactly. Plus there are more great games coming out than ever, so it's harder to justify time on games with bad performance when there's a bunch of other games I'll probably enjoy just as much substantively that don't have performance issues.

Vs. back in the N64 and beyond days when fewer games came out per month/year, I had less money to buy them etc. and was thus less selective.

Acerac

Banned
But you don't understand, Zelda is the best game of all time. He's just trolling to lower the metacritic!

I don't even watch Jim's videos but I don't understand why he's being attacked for saying Yooka Laylee is choppy.
It's not uncommon for people to fall in love with a game that hasn't come out yet and viciously attack anyone who dares question the perfection of said unreleased game. Remember No Man's Sky fans?

gamerMan

His review copy was conditional on honoring the embargo. Whether the game is good or you like Jim Sterling or not is immaterial. He was actively trying to damage the reputation of the game and hurt its sales before the embargo lifted. He broke his word and it is a deeply troubling and immoral thing to do.

This can't be ignored by the rest of the industry. Hopefully, other companies begin to blacklist him and Laura while handing out review copies.

His review copy was conditional on honoring the embargo. Whether the game is good or you like Jim Sterling or not is immaterial. He was actively trying to damage the reputation of the game and hurt its sales. He broke his word and it is a deeply troubling and immoral thing to do.

This can't be ignored by the rest of the industry. Hopefully, other companies begin to blacklist him while handing out review copies.

You forgot to mention "also, 7/10!!"

By the way, he did not break the embargo, a fact evident if you did your research instead of celebrating the smoking gun you've found to disparage Jim Sterling. Seriously, "actively trying to damage the reputation of the game and hurt its sales"? Criticism suddenly constitutes an active attempt to attack Playtonic? Jesus lol

Real Hero

His review copy was conditional on honoring the embargo. Whether the game is good or you like Jim Sterling or not is immaterial. He was actively trying to damage the reputation of the game and hurt its sales. He broke his word and it is a deeply troubling and immoral thing to do.

This can't be ignored by the rest of the industry. Hopefully, other companies begin to blacklist him and Laura while handing out review copies.
It is not fucking immoral. It is easier to argue it is 'immoral' to keep keep silent when you know people are going to spend money on a broken thing. But it's such a silly thing to even bring morality into..

WTF? "Actively trying to damage the reputation of the game?" That's not a thing. He's a reviewer. He reviews games; good or bad.

maxcriden

It is not fucking immoral. It is easier to argue it is 'immoral' to keep keep silent when you know people are going to spend money on a broken thing. But it's such a silly thing to even bring morality into..

I agree morality isn't at issue here. With that said, if morality of keeping silent when you know a game is broken to begin with, IMO one could (a) never agree to embargos and/or (b) be more specific about what the issues are when announcing them. If he is honoring the embargo, since the embargo does end a week before release, IMO it would've been better to wait till it was up so he could make more specific comments and others could be able to comment with their agreement or counterpoint also.

I agree morality isn't at issue here. With that said, if morality of keeping silent when you know a game is broken to begin with, IMO one could (a) never agree to embargos and/or (b) be more specific about what the issues are when announcing them. If he is honoring the embargo, since the embargo does end a week before release, IMO it would've been better to wait till it was up so he could make more specific comments and others could be able to comment with their agreement or counterpoint also.

People are in this very thread counterpointing him though.

maxcriden

People are in this very thread counterpointing him though.

Counterpointing him based on their own experiences with the game? That's problematic to me too since many or most playing the game may feel they can't do so, and since the comments were vague to begin with they can't know if they are counterpointing the issue he and Laura were referring to. The crux of the issue with the comments to me is simply that they didn't specify the issue so there is an overabundance of semiotic excess fueling the conversation and potential interpretations.

(I haven't read the whole thread, but the couple comments I've seen from those who've played the game were on the general side, and at least one agreed with Jim but didn't (probably because they felt they couldn't) specify what they want by this. I readily admit I may have missed many pertinent posts, but the underlying issue of not knowing the specifics Jim and Laura are referring to is present regardless I think.)

Impressions have been positive by most, and some even have dismissed the claims Jim and Laura have made. The issue with their comments are that they are vague and don't specify which version of the game they are playing while other users have stated whether they are playing on PC or Xbox One. Without context to what is bad or worrisome about the game, the comment alone only stands to cause speculation and fear about these concerns expressed.

Well, this all seems rather sensible, so I'll just ignore it and take issue with some moron saying framerates don't matter.

King_Moc

Banned
His review copy was conditional on honoring the embargo. Whether the game is good or you like Jim Sterling or not is immaterial. He was actively trying to damage the reputation of the game and hurt its sales before the embargo lifted. He broke his word and it is a deeply troubling and immoral thing to do.

WTF is this...

He's blacklisted at plenty of places anyway. Usually for having an opinion that a publisher didn't like.

Didn't think the Uncharted 3 review debacle could be topped. I was wrong. Nintendo fanboys, the most fucking embarrassing fanboys on the internet. And that's certainly saying something.

bluexy

I agree people should be made aware of performance issues, but if comments like this are under embargo it doesn't seem appropriate to make them till the embargo is up so others can freely agree or disagree so those saying this can specify freely what they mean.

100% agree. Whether Yooka Laylee is a great game, whether it's terrible, it's immaterial. They don't deserve to have these lone comments, provided without substance or context, color perception of the game during a time when when it's particularly vulnerable.

Hell, it's not even about the embargo. If it's worth saying, put it in your review.

Eusis

Zelda fanboys you mean. Remember, this isn't their first rodeo at acting like idiots.
Gerstmann's 8.8 was infamous.

Now maybe it looks like nothing. Then again, there's something to be said for being JUST off of 9 and going in a frothy rage. At least 7/10 is a significant difference rather than just splitting hairs.

KaoteK

You should probably listen to the podcast. They both state they are allowed to do a preview up to a certain point in the game. They were very specific in saying that this applied to that section of the game. Were they bending the rules? A bit. Are they doing anything against the terms of their contacts? No.

packy34

This is a wonderful post.

Vena

I feel like a lot of posts in this thread are fighting windmills, and also missing the larger issue here.

Whether Jim's comments were right or wrong, the vagueness is the real issue. What is the context? How bad is it? Is it bad at all time? Is it bad on all platforms? Etc. Worse still, those under embargo can't openly state otherwise other than to disagree and continue to leave everything vague.

Beartruck

Almost every major company In the industry has already blacklisted him.

NateDrake

I feel like a lot of posts in this thread are fighting windmills, and also missing the larger issue here.

Whether Jim's comments were right or wrong, the vagueness is the real issue. What is the context? How bad is it? Is it bad at all time? Is it bad on all platforms? Etc. Worse still, those under embargo can't openly state otherwise other than to disagree and continue to leave everything vague.

Bingo. Exactly as I said on this very page. What was said amounts to nothing because no one knows the context of it. It was enough to raise concerns but not enough to give people an idea as to what the concerns are over. Other outlets have answered questions and given impressions within the rights of the embargo. To give a blanket statement as was given here doesn't provide the listener (or reader as is the case with the forum) much to go on. It amounts to a tease.

This isn't to say that there may not be legitimate problems with the game. We simply do not know.

Fat4all

Banned
Odd, it has a switch release, so I wonder why Laura would be disliking it.

/s

tumblr_n99ozjA5eD1sgl0ajo1_250.gif

just saying "think twice" doesn't amount to much

I look forward to hearing further about this game, but if you can't explain a point and expect people to just go on your word why even bring it up. It just seems needless, especially when the embargo ends well before release

G0523

It probably helps that the Banjo games have been re-released on Xbox 360 and now have stable framerates. People like to remember games fondly and any new game that comes out that tries to recapture what made the old ones work are always going to get scrutinized for every little thing.

I guess there's a perception of her being a Nintendo fangirl. She did give Horizon a 95 though so I'm not sure where it' coming from.

Her review for Persona 5 mentioned how she wished it was on the switch because of it being a handheld. People believed thats why she docked points off, even tho she gave it a high score of 8.5.

Pretty dumb comment, considering the review got some hate and the joke came from the OP of the Persona 5 review thread.

Cheerilee

It sounds like maybe it's a bad idea to purchase a product you've never seen while it's still under a review embargo and the people whose opinions you trust aren't allowed to share their opinions with you.

Kinsei

Banned
Her review for Persona 5 mentioned how she wished it was on the switch because of it being a handheld. People believed thats why she docked points off, even tho she gave it a high score of 8.5.

Pretty dumb comment, considering the review got some hate and the joke came from the OP of the Persona 5 review thread.

That's really dumb. Wanting a JRPG on a handheld is a pretty common sentiment so I don't see why she's getting hate for it.

Corpekata

Banned
You should probably listen to the podcast. They both state they are allowed to do a preview up to a certain point in the game. They were very specific in saying that this applied to that section of the game. Were they bending the rules? A bit. Are they doing anything against the terms of their contacts? No.

You're talking to someone that suggests breaking embargos is an inherently immoral act. No amount of context can justify it to them because they don't actually care. What they care about is he is being "mean" about something they like, and they are looking for excuses to hold up that foundation.

Even if they were breaking their contract, it would be a fucking absurd thing for an unrelated third party to call immoral. It's like being upset at people using Winzip past the "trial" period because they are violating a license agreement.

Yes, people should be protected from facts. Contractual obligations are superior to moral imperatives.

atr0cious

It sounds like maybe it's a bad idea to purchase a product you've never seen while it's still under a review embargo and the people whose opinions you trust aren't allowed to share their opinions with you.
This is jims podcast, and he preaches that nonstop, so if it was just that, I don't think this thread would even exist. That post doesn't like that instead of only slightly breaking the nda and making ominous noises and puns, some would rather they just break it and tell us. If it's just they didn't like the game, why bring it up and if it's game breaking, shouldn't they speak out? Because of the embargo, no one who has played the game can really verify what they're saying, so it's basically bad publicity based on vagueness. It's really sloppy, then again LKD snitched out her source, so it's not like it's really surprising.

yophlow

Banned
So basically this thread has gone from "wonder what the problem is" to "hah! Wasn't going to buy the game anyway. Boring world, lifeless characters, etc", then it was "Jim sucks anyways" to "don't trust Jim at all after Zelda" and now finally we get the last part of thread derailment: "all those people hating Jim Sterling must be Zelda fans cause of their Nintendo avatars. Leave Jim alone! He's awesome and you haters are delicate shills who got offended by him speaking truth. I'm gonna be a true gamer and respect the man. You are all just jealous."

Does that sound right?

I don't know what your point is. Of course threads evolve and sentiment changes, that's how discussion works? Different people bringing different opinions and thoughts.

wildfire

Banned
To be fair, anytime someone makes a thread praising Nintendo on anything, the fucking swarm descends upon that thread.

That swarm is nothing like the pestilence when something remotely negative sounding is in a Nintendo OP.

This is jims podcast, and he preaches that nonstop, so if it was just that, I don't think this thread would even exist. That post doesn't like that instead of only slightly breaking the nda and making ominous noises and puns, some would rather they just break it and tell us. If it's just they didn't like the game, why bring it up and if it's game breaking, shouldn't they speak out? Because of the embargo, no one who has played the game can really verify what they're saying, so it's basically bad publicity based on vagueness. It's really sloppy, then again LKD snitched out her source, so it's not like it's really surprising.

In the end all they said is to avoid preordering this specific game. They emphasize waiting for a review to see if you're ok with the inherent issues.

Those who preorder are already taking a bigger risk than those who wait so the sloppiness of this announcement amounts to not being relevant for the intended audience.

Top Bottom