• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimmy Carter Reveals He Voted for Bernie Sanders In Democratic Primary

Lifeline

Bernie was lacking big endorsements in the primary, wonder why Carter held back till now.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/08/politics/jimmy-carter-bernie-sanders/

"Can y'all see why I voted for him?" Carter said as Sanders concluded.
Carter's comments, which received light laughter at the event, were apparently the first time he revealed his 2016 Democratic primary choice in public.

Early on in the race for the Democratic nomination, Carter said he believed former secretary of state Hillary Clinton would get the nomination "because money dominates, and she has an inside track to the massive amounts that are going to pour into the Democratic Party side."

Like Sanders, Carter has long railed against the influence of money in politics. He said in 2015 that the US was essentially no longer democratic in nature.
"Now it's just an oligarchy with unlimited political bribery," Carter said.

Carter the record if old.

He's not wrong.

Money in politics is partly why we got Trump. People felt he was immune to big money bribery. We're going to see more billionaires win primaries moving forward.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I got a question

who fucking cares?

we gonna keep going on and on about the damn primary for the next four years? get the fuck over it and move on

Lifeline

I got a question

who fucking cares?

we gonna keep going on and on about the damn primary for the next four years? get the fuck over it and move on

How are we supposed to learn from our mistakes if we get bitter whenever we talk about the past?

Boke1879

I got a question

who fucking cares?

Right? Who cares. The shit is over and done with and it was the fucking primary.

I got a question

who fucking cares?

The OP is largely about Jimmy Carter's opinion on money in politics and why he chose Sanders.
Not feuding about the outcome of the primary.

Hearing past President's speak about money in politics is perfectly fine and relevant.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
like, think about how sad it is that Donald Trump keeps bringing up like, electoral college maps and the size of his rallies at this point. that was six months ago, it's pathetic that he's still pointing at that

meanwhile we're back in the primary that was decided like a year ago, still playing "but what about Bernie" games

Marcel

He's not wrong.

Money in politics is partly why we got Trump. People felt he was immune to big money bribery. We're going to see more billionaires win primaries moving forward.

vCyMmRu.png

And this is only the first of many articles on the subject of money in the election.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I got a question

who fucking cares?

Kinda an important event, the presidential election. Talking about how and why it transpired the way it did, is important. I have a question, who fucking cares if you think we should talk about it?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Yeah, that much sought after Carter endorsement surely would have made the masses of primary voters finally feel the bern.

Money in politics is fine to rail against. But until campaign finance reform is the law of the land we need to play with a full deck of cards. Moral high ground is great and all, but I'd rather progressive candidates stand the best chance of winning.

The candidate who had by far and away the most money *lost*.

Trump ran as an anti-establishment figure and people bought in because he was already stupid rich, and thus immune to influence from big money donors. That's a completely different argument than whether the most expensive campaign wins.

vCyMmRu.png

And this is only the first of many articles on the subject of money in the election.

see above

Volimar

So did I Jimmy.

OK. Thanks for the info President Carter?

To be fair, it's the article that made it a big deal. It was just an aside at the event, really.

Yeah, that much sought after Carter endorsement surely would have made the masses of primary voters finally feel the bern.

Money in politics is fine to rail against. But until campaign finance reform is the law of the land we need to play with a full deck of cards. Moral high ground is great and all, but I'd rather progressive candidates stand the best chance of winning.

I wonder how Bernie would have done in the general, fundraising-wise.

People whining about talking about the near past, a year ago, are probably protesting outside churches on Sunday or burning books.

Jesus. Pshh. Stop talking about some guy 2000 years ago.

This book was published in 1994. Shit ain't relevant.

Calm the fuck down people.

Lifeline

Maybe I'm valuing the endorsement too much, but sure would've helped go against the "why is no one endorsing Bernie" narrative that was going around.

But then again, I can see GAF downplaying the endorsement. "Who cares about col sanders and tarter sauce"

Blader

Kinda an important event, the presidential election. Talking about how and why it transpired the way it did, is important. I have a question, who fucking cares if you think we should talk about it?

Is anyone still confused about why the presidential election transpired the way it did? The reasons have been outlined and explained quite clearly many times.

StoOgE

People whining about talking about the near past, a year ago, are probably protesting outside churches on Sunday or burning books.

Jesus. Pshh. Stop talking about some guy 2000 years ago.

This book was published in 1994. Shit ain't relevant.

Calm the fuck down people.

Are there a group of people that began worshipping Jimmie Carter as the son of God and his writings as the living word of God that are supposed to show a way forward towards truth, everlasting life and forgiveness of sins that I am unaware of?

shamanick

Carter is awesome, and he is absolutely correct about the oligarchy

I got a question

who fucking cares?

why did you post in this thread

I got a question

who fucking cares?

I agree. There's a difference between learning from the past a beating a dead fucking horse. It's been one big horse corpse beatdown around here with very little productive lessons.

Maybe I'm valuing the endorsement too much, but sure would've helped go against the "why is no one endorsing Bernie" narrative that was going around.

But then again, I can see GAF downplaying the endorsement. "Who cares about col sanders and tarter sauce"

It's not downplaying. Carter wouldn't have moved the needle or changed any narrative.

I say this as a Bernie supporter that had reasonable expectations aka I never expected him to secure the nomination.

Volimar

Are there a group of people that began worshipping Jimmie Carter as the son of God and his writings as the living word of God that are supposed to show a way forward towards truth, everlasting life and forgiveness of sins that I am unaware of?

You don't know my life!

<hastily closes door to secret peanut shrine>

StoOgE

Bernie didn't win the endorsement because minorities didn't vote for him in numbers that mattered.. If the economically liberal wing of the party wants to make real inroads they are going to need to look in the mirror and figure out why their message doesn't resonate.

I don't think a Carter endorsement would have fixed that problem.

Is anyone still confused about why the presidential election transpired the way it did? The reasons have been outlined and explained quite clearly many times.

Why not just skipping this thread instead of telling people what they should do or not?

I think you took my post too literally and missed the point.

Blader

That would be 4 years more than Hillary.

I don't really want to tease out the relitigate-the-2016-primary-for-the-nth-time that's hiding in plain sight in your post, so I'll just leave it at: Jimmy Carter, great human being, one of our best post-presidents, but had a disastrous presidency that was partly afflicted by an inherited bad economy but also a product of his own incompetence at managing an administration and relations with Congress. He entered office with a post-Watergate liberal Congress, got nothing done because he was just that bad at legislating, and laid the groundwork for 12 years of Republican presidencies that completed shifted the overton window in this country for decades.

There's no good in electing a president who governs just like Jimmy Carter.

Why not just skipping this thread instead of telling people what they should do or not?

I didn't tell him to do or not do anything. I just think "why did this election happen the way it did" is not some big mystery anymore.

boiled goose

good with gravy
The candidate who had by far and away the most money *lost*.

Money influences politics in many ways.

Without having to appeal to donors, Hillary would have probably adopted different positions.

She would have spent more time with constituents and less time fundraising.

Maybe her Record would have been different. Bankruptcy bill, iraq war.

Trump is incredibly corrupt, yet Hillary got pegged as corrupt by a swindling billionaire.

Maybe she wouldn't even be the candidate.

Also money matters. 90 percent more money wins. Big elections matters less because of free media. Regardless, I outlined how it affected race

I don't really want to tease out the relitigate-the-2016-primary-for-the-nth-time that's hiding in plain sight in your post, so I'll just leave it at: Jimmy Carter, great human being, one of our best post-presidents, but had a disastrous presidency that was partly afflicted by an inherited bad economy but also a product of his own incompetence at managing an administration and relations with Congress. He entered office with a post-Watergate liberal Congress, got nothing done because he was just that bad at legislating, and laid the groundwork for 12 years of Republican presidencies that completed shifted the overton window in this country for decades.

There's no good in electing a president who governs just like Jimmy Carter.

I didn't tell him to do or not do anything. I just think "why did this election happen the way it did" is not some big mystery anymore.

Of couse you did, you even went off topic because OP isn't about what you think it is. But I guess that are still some Clinton defence force reflexes.

Top Bottom