• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimmy Carter Reveals He Voted for Bernie Sanders In Democratic Primary

Blader

Maybe she wouldn't even be the candidate.

I think that relied more on the tiny field of candidates than on the number of donors. Jeb! won the "invisible primary" in his field pretty early on, that didn't help him from crashing and burning. Bernie did relatively well for himself, all things considered, and did not have major donors backing his campaign.

One of the heartening things about the resurgence of left-wing grassroots post-election is the huge influx of small-dollar donations to Democratic candidates in local and congressional races. On the one hand, I don't like the idea of off-year House elections being dominated by millions of outside dollars, because that's a battle that only escalates further from here on out. On the other hand, getting voters more active and involved in state and local races ain't a bad deal. I hope we can keep this momentum going into the next presidential primary.

Of couse you did, you even went off topic because OP isn't about what you think it is. But I guess that are still some Clinton defence force reflexes.

What I literally said was:

Is anyone still confused about why the presidential election transpired the way it did? The reasons have been outlined and explained quite clearly many times.

That was not a call to action to do or not do something.

FyreWulff

also it's literally not a surprise that the Carters don't like the Clintons, they ignored each other at each Obama inaugration

slit

I agree. There's a difference between learning from the past a beating a dead fucking horse. It's been one big horse corpse beatdown around here with very little productive lessons.

It's not just about what is going on here. That horse is alive and well within the Dem party itself if the continued anger and venom from Sanders supporters and Hillary supporters towards each other is anything to go by.

He said in 2015 that the US was essentially no longer democratic in nature.

"Now it's just an oligarchy with unlimited political bribery," Carter said.

If anyone in GAF wonders why I always post the way that I do in politics threads, it is because above all, THIS IS THE EXISTENTIAL PROBLEM facing our nation. I grew up in a 3rd world corrupt neocolonial hell hole, and the US is the same dynamic, but at a grander scale and our oligarchs are more sophisticated at it.

Most problems in every aspect of our lives (work, education, health, culture, security, etc.) can be traced back to the powerful influence of money over the greater good.

The grand reality TV spectacle that are the US elections keeps us thinking that we have a say in how things work out, but the oligarchs ultimately get their way (the most blatant example is the coronation of their Queen Hillary Clinton to be the Democrat nominee).

We millennials get to live through the times when the American experiment has ultimately failed under its own hubris and its own unchecked greed. We get to live through the times when we are taxed increasingly more and more, without true representation. So many leaders and presidents since the founding of our nation have warned us about this level of power yielded by so few, which is what we fought against in the first place by 1776. We get to re-live that again in 2017, however food stamps and welfare have prevented millions and millions of starving people from hitting the streets in desperation. We will see what the popular reaction will be if we face another financial crisis (which I believe is already baked into the cake).

Maybe I'm valuing the endorsement too much, but sure would've helped go against the "why is no one endorsing Bernie" narrative that was going around.

But then again, I can see GAF downplaying the endorsement. "Who cares about col sanders and tarter sauce"

Most people probably don't even know Carter is still alive (I even wonder how many know he was president!), let alone care about his current political opinions.

It also would have been kind of weird for a past president to directly endorse someone in the primary. They generally do not do that unless it's a specific niche scenario like Bill supporting Hillary or HW supporting W, where the endorsement is obvious.

I think you're valuing the endorsement too much.

Considering that the Reagan campaign paid the Iranians to not release the hostages until after the election to ensure that Carter lost, I don't blame him much.

Gas lines, and the botched rescue mission were also big factors. Point still stands, his endorsement wasn't going to move anyone from one side to another.

Sanke__

An endorsement from Carter isn't necessarily a positive in an election considering the prevelant fictional history of America that considers Reagan a good president also considers him a bad president

kirblar

An endorsement from Carter isn't necessarily a positive in an election considering the prevelant fictional history of America that considers Reagan a good president also considers him a bad president
Carter had supermajorities in Congress and squandered them. He was a very ineffective president.

Valhelm

contribute something
I got a question

who fucking cares?

we gonna keep going on and on about the damn primary for the next four years? get the fuck over it and move on

The events of the Democratic primary are the biggest reason why Trump is president. If a better candidate would have been chosen, Trump would have lost.

It's definitely important to look back and see why there was so much faith in an unpopular candidate attached to an incompetent campaign.

zelas

How are we supposed to learn from our mistakes if we get bitter whenever we talk about the past?

How are we supposed to learn from our past when losers like Carter still can't accept the reality of that past, this far removed from the Primaries? No amount of money tossed anywhere was going to change my mind about voting Hillary over Bernie. The vast majority of black voters felt the same.

Besides, a lack of money isn't an excuse for Bernie not crafting a more well rounded message. When are people going to learn from the past that black voters care about more than just their wallets these days. We're nothing like the single issue, white democrats who voted for Trump. Bernie, and those who still don't understand why he lost, need to learn from the past that the makeup of the electorate actually matters a great deal.

Blader

There's nothing fictional about Carter being a bad president.

The events of the Democratic primary are the biggest reason why Trump is president. If a better candidate would have been chosen, Trump would have lost.

It's definitely important to look back and see why there was so much faith in an unpopular candidate attached to an incompetent campaign.

Voters don't have anything to do with how campaigns are managed, and they only end up branded incompetent if they lose anyway. Trump's campaign was hardly the model of competency -- and possibly colluded with a rival foreign power! -- and yet he is now the president.

"Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican"

There's a reason why the Republican Party, despite their incompetency, still remain strong for decades while the Dems are struggling locally.

And If Bernie had won, that lesson would not be learned for decades, like the UK with Labour. Because he isn't the unity sort.

ah Jimmy Carter,

had a Democratic majority and did nothing with it,

-------
the Dems back then were so shitty that they even refused to work with Nixon on a Healthcare bill just because they thought they could do better when it would be their turn,
Carter happened, he did nothing.

I got a question

who fucking cares?

we gonna keep going on and on about the damn primary for the next four years? get the fuck over it and move on

I would agree if I didn't think the DNC wasn't dumb enough/scummy enough to try Clinton for the third fucking time.

kirblar

I would agree if I didn't think the DNC wasn't dumb enough/scummy enough to try Clinton for the third fucking time.
What in the hell do you think the DNC actually does?

People spouting off nonsense like this is just as bad as the conspiracy theories on the right.

Hylian7

Dude I say this as someone that preferred Bernie: Hillary won fair and square.

But honestly it hardly matters because it was the primary and it is long over.

TheFlow

Banned
I feel like Bernie supporters in 2017 are living in a different reality than most people. The party needs to be united instead of going back to a lost race

A very wise choice. Sadly, he waited to long and should have announced his support when it mattered.

It probably wouldn't have mattered. Look how hard it was for Trump and Obama to break through all the obstacles standing in their way. Bernie would've needed momentum that simply couldn't be ignored and dismissed by the establishment. The actual political revolution that he talked about but didn't come for him. Jim's endorsement wouldn't have been enough to start a big movement.

TarNaru33

Banned
vCyMmRu.png

And this is only the first of many articles on the subject of money in the election.

The 2016 election was a little bit different than those previously. Hillary had massive amounts of baggage and was an establishment figure which anyone paying attention to to election would of seen that people were tired of the status quo with the rise of Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump. That deep money pocket she had was more of a hindrance than a boon to her and that election made it clear.

Basically Trump beat her only due to her establishment figure and the huge issues she had trailing her including a lot of people seeing her as for rich people and bankers which is lol-worthy.

Bolivar687

Banned
The wounds need to be kept fresh so that they'll open again and fester the next time the establishment tries to do what they did first to Sanders and then to Ellison.

Wow, this is so important, getting the endorsement in before the 2016 DNC is going to be huge for the narrative, I wonder if this is going to change things in the 2016 primary and thus the 2016 election that has clearly yet to happen because it's not 2017 and it's still 2016

Valhelm

contribute something
"Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican"

There's a reason why the Republican Party, despite their incompetency, still remain strong for decades while the Dems are struggling locally.

And If Bernie had won, that lesson would not be learned for decades, like the UK with Labour. Because he isn't the unity sort.

The ongoing Labour fiasco shows how cynical centrists can be just as petulant and destructive as ideological leftists. Entitled Blairites help the Tories far more than spurned lefties, because centrists are much more likely to support right-wing candidates when they don't get their way.

Unity is a two-way street. You can't demand that leftists bow to every one of your policies while also doing everything possible to lock leftists out of power. The defamation of Keith Ellison, opposition to medicare expansion, and rightward shift on reproducitve rights suggests that many powerful Democrats would much rather bow to the GOP than embrace the left wing of the party.

All this makes me wonder if "unity" talk is just a ploy to gain leftist votes through moral appeals instead of actually proactive policy. Some leftists, particularly on Twitter, can be divisive in ways that could hamper efforts against Trump, but unless the Democratic party is willing to make policy concessions they're going to stay losing.

Blader

The question is did he vote for Hillary in November.

Wasn't Carter a bad President though?

Yes, he was a bad president. He came into office with congressional majorities in the wake of Watergate and got very little done. Compare that to what Obama and Congress accomplished in his first two years, and it's a night and day difference. He lost re-election by 10 points and was succeeded by 12 straight years of Republican presidencies.

He has an incredible legacy as a humanitarian and is an all-around good human being, but he was a bad president and left a largely bad legacy.

Xe4

Banned
I don't think anyone is going to disagree that getting money out of politics is important. The thing is, it's not something Sanders could've accomplished.

Had he been elected, he wouldn't have been any better about getting money out that Hillary, which is something that involves getting people on the SCOTUS to gut Citizens United, and then get a house and senate (of which Sander's would've not had at least one) to pass further reform.

And he would've failed, like any politician, meaning for reelection he would've had to set up a PAC in order to get reelected and make the incremental changes he could. Because god knows whatever 'revolution' he had going on in 2016 would've calmed the fuck down by then. Back to square one.

And that's a best case scenario.

Jimmy Carter already had a sour realationship with President Bill Clinton; he projected his saltyness towards Hillary as well.

heck, look at this Barack Obama 2009 photo with Dubya's last day on the job.

150213092629-08-obama-0213-super-169.jpg

Valhelm

contribute something
Jimmy Carter already had a sour realationship with President Bill Clinton; he projected his saltyness towards Hillary as well.

heck, look at this Barack Obama 2009 photo with Dubya's last day on the job.

150213092629-08-obama-0213-super-169.jpg

Hard to blame any Democrat for harboring bad feelings to Bill and what he stands for, even a wishy-washy and ineffective Democrat like Carter. Bill thought he could preserve American liberalism by draggng the party to the right, but look where we are today/

Hard to blame any Democrat for harboring bad feelings to Bill and what he stands for, even a wishy-washy and ineffective Democrat like Carter.

Hillarycare was the closest thing to a public option;

all Democrats who voted against it are also assholes.

Top Bottom