• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimmy Fallon calls the Wii U "a Wii add-on".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bgamer90

Banned
Type in Wii U at google and search for news which declare the Wii U as an add-on to the Wii or other false information.

Why would I do that?

I have never said that no one is calling the Wii U a new system. I just think that (again), the system may cause confusion for a good number of people.

You try to stand a point with a CNN-article which is going to be corrected in the future and one comment from Jimmy Fallon, which has been distinguished in the show.

It's not just that. It's other examples as well.

Personal experiences with uninformed people are useless as they're going to be informed by newspapers/sites and TV-commercials.

lol...

Maybe I'm different, but if I noticed that some people were getting confused about what my product is, I would try to find ways to change it.

I wouldn't just say, "Hey... whatever... what they think is useless" and move on. I would treat it as a concern they might need to be corrected.

They didn't "advertise" it until now, they introduced it at E3 to the gaming community.
Newspapers usually catch up on something like that and inform the mainstream audience in that certain week.

But they did show it off pretty in depth at both E3 conferences... more in depth than they would in a 2-3 minute ad for obvious reasons.

If people still ended up being confused over what the Wii U was after seeing the conference, Nintendo is going to have a hard time if they show it off in a similar way in a 2-3 minute ad. Due to the reduced time, you (obviously) have to cut to the chase. The Wii U GamePad Tablet is the main thing that Nintendo is showing off. Therefore, based on how they are currently showing it off, I don't think it's crazy to think that Nintendo will just show the various things that can be done with the Wii U tablet in a 2-3 minute ad and never really talk about the new system itself.

As the launch approaches, Nintendo is going to market this correctly.

Like I said, we'll see.

And 400,000 people on the Wii U fanpage certainly get that this is a new system.

I would hope that people on a fanpage would understand practically everything about the system that they are a "fan" off...

boyshine

Maybe I'm different, but if I noticed that some people were getting confused about what my product is, I would try to find ways to change it.

Listen. There’s a plan for what information is going to be released when. The launch is still months away. Commercials, print ads, web ads, pos, etc. will roll out only weeks before launch.

And then there’s the actual marketing for the games. Those are the ones that will matter. A NSMBU commercial ending with „only for Wii U” or a GTA V commercial specifically showing Wii U features is enough to end whatever confusion you keep repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating that maybe exist among people who only heard the name of the console two days ago.

There’s no discussion here, you simply ignore what everyone is saying and repeat that „if I made Wii U I would call everyone who was confused personally to tell them how it worked”. If your mom or your brother’s friend doesn’t get it yet, that’s fine. You can explain it to them! Word of mouth. If someone doesn’t get it, they’re likely to ask people who do, and they will find out.

Right now Nintendo is going on press tours where journalists and retail representatives get hands on and info about the system. Also, the timing isn’t official and it probably won’t happen in every city or even every country, but retail demo’s are coming as well. You’ll see cover stories in game mags with articles on „This is Wii U” and previews of launch games, etc...

Come launch day you have to have been actively avoiding both game news (tv, print and web) and other gamers if you still don’t know that Wii U is a game console.

We’ll see.

Vinci

Danish
The word of mouth comment mentioned above is an important one. Many of the people who are most likely to get confused by such a thing are also the sort of people who likely were exposed to the Wii through someone they knew. Family members asked me to bring my Wii over for holiday parties for years until I moved away - at which point, they bought their own for such occasions.

Bgamer90

Banned
Listen. There’s a plan for what information is going to be released when. The launch is still months away. Commercials, print ads, web ads, pos, etc. will roll out only weeks before launch.

Never said that wouldn't happen. I'm expecting it to happen. However if those forms of advertising put emphasis on the GamePad Tablet instead of the console (as things have been thus far), I can see there being confusion.

And then there’s the actual marketing for the games. Those are the ones that will matter. A NSMBU commercial ending with „only for Wii U” or a GTA V commercial specifically showing Wii U features is enough to end whatever confusion you keep repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating that maybe exist among people who only heard the name of the console two days ago.

Not really. If people think the Wii U is just a tablet controller, some may think "Oh so the Mario game only works if I get that tablet for my Wii."

Also, "only exists among people who heard the name of the console two days ago"? FYI, some people who heard about it weeks ago are still confused.

There’s no discussion here, you simply ignore what everyone is saying and repeat that „if I made Wii U I would call everyone who was confused personally to tell them how it worked”.

lol... I haven't simply ignored what everyone is saying and neither have I said "I would call everyone up and personally say how it works". If anything, it seems like YOU are the one who is ignoring what ones are saying.

If your mom or your brother’s friend doesn’t get it yet, that’s fine. You can explain it to them! Word of mouth. If someone doesn’t get it, they’re likely to ask people who do, and they will find out.

Word of mouth is important but at the same time it isn't something that companies should solely rely on since if people are saying wrong things about the product, they aren't going to correct others saying the exact same thing about the product (obviously).

Right now Nintendo is going on press tours where journalists and retail representatives get hands on and info about the system. Also, the timing isn’t official and it probably won’t happen in every city or even every country, but retail demo’s are coming as well. You’ll see cover stories in game mags with articles on „This is Wii U” and previews of launch games, etc...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure gaming magazines will have articles. However, I don't think gaming mags are as popular as they were back in, say the '90s.

Come launch day you have to have been actively avoiding both game news (tv, print and web) and other gamers if you still don’t know that Wii U is a game console.

Heh, you say that like it's hard for an "average joe" to do.

I never stated percentages of people who were confused.

They never have advertised it as an add-on in the first place so I don't know what you are trying to say.

However, what I am saying is that the way they advertise it (at least so far) makes it easy for some people to think that it's an add-on.

If people were confused about it after watching an hour long press conference, Nintendo is really going to have a hard time if they advertise the Wii U in a similar fashion via 2-3 minute TV ads.

You've went hard to make your point that Wii U can be confusing to some consumers. I'm sure that is something we can all agree on, that there is the possibility of confusion for some. But now you're going a little overboard in those efforts. To the point of where you're stressing this as being very negative for the company which makes your earlier attempts a ruse for how your really feel. Its not about helping Nintendo create clear marketing is it?

Bgamer90

Banned
You've went hard to make your point that Wii U can be confusing to some consumers. I'm sure that is something we can all agree on, that there is the possibility of confusion for some. But now you're going a little overboard in those efforts.

Not going overboard.

If anything it may appear to be that way since I'm amazed at how people can't put themselves in the shoes of an average consumer who doesn't go on gaming forums or looks at gaming websites.

To the point of where you're stressing this as being very negative for the company which makes your earlier attempts a ruse for how your really feel. Its not about helping Nintendo create clear marketing is it?

I have given possible suggestions on how Nintendo can fix the problem many times in this thread.

So no, I'm not trying to be "very negative". Guess it may seem that way if you are someone who is super excited about the Wii U...

Terrell

I really can't believe we're still on this.

People will go to buy it, realize they can't get the Gamepad separate, and the confusion dies. IF said confusion still exists at all by the time it hits stores for sale, as the whole argument hinges on Nintendo not correcting this apparently-widespread problem (though no one seems to be able or willing to quantify just how wide-spread this supposed problem still actually is).

The fact that this point doesn't sink in surprises me a bit. Whatever, bookmarking the thread for future laughs.

Glass Joe

Like I said, hopefully they will change it up.

The situation is similar to the DS/3DS but different as well. Hopefully they will take the difference between both into consideration since focusing just on the similarities (i.e. the long running "Wii ____" name for accessories being similar to the names of the DS remakes being very alike), can make them lose sight of the things that are different that can cause confusion as well (i.e.: Showing off the tablet more than the system therefore making people think the Wii U is just the tablet).

Yeah I'm just trying to be an optimist. I totally see the potential for confusion, especially with the existing Wii _____ lines which include accessories such as Wii Fit. I've brought up similar concerns and I agree with your point of view. But Nintendo were quick to call out that they were aware of this issue and hopefully they'll work out a brilliant way to differentiate. If they thought they had it solved already, I'm sure Reggie will bring up the Jimmy Fallon thing on their weekly conference call to Iwata, heh. But they are the Japanese company, who according to a rumor I read, colored the GameCube purple due to American's preference for the color blue, so we'll see how that works out I guess.

Even if they launch in black (which they should), they've got that problem of the main Wii SKU right now being a black unit that lays flat. The actual console differences (curvier & longer) could easily be mistaken for a Lite style redesign. I still think their best shot at this point in time is to call it "U" with every ad / package having a big assed "from the makers of Wii" plastered on it. Even "U Wii" might be worth a shot.

Terrell said:

People will go to buy it, realize they can't get the Gamepad separate, and the confusion dies. IF said confusion still exists at all by the time it hits stores for sale, as the whole argument hinges on Nintendo not correcting this apparently-widespread problem (though no one seems to be able or willing to quantify just how wide-spread this supposed problem still actually is).

The fact that this point doesn't sink in surprises me a bit. Whatever, bookmarking the thread for future laughs.

True. But someone's initial impression that it's an accessory is pretty anti-hype. There's a difference between a new and exciting Wii follow up VS an accessory for a system they have that they might have already unplugged. By the time they realize it's new, they've already had that bad first impression.

Vinci

Danish
don't blame the media, blame Nintendo for improper marketing and bizarre naming

That's the thing: They haven't really begun to advertise the system yet. Much of the confusion stems from the 1st E3 showing; there was nothing vague in the 2nd one. So anyone in the media that experienced E3 in some form and remains confused is being willfully ignorant to the fact.

I'm actually fairly accepting that there may have been confusion resulting from the 1st, but the 2nd? No.

First impressions are a bitch.

hao chi

Funny, but not surprising. Anybody remember when he got to play Uncharted 3?

"Uncharted 2 was sooo cool! I <3 that game!"

*picks up controller*

"How do I shoot?"

Though maybe now Nintendo is realizing 'Wii U' was a bad name choice. If they really wanted to stick with the 'Wii' name, maybe they should have added a '2' instead of a 'U'.

Though maybe now Nintendo is realizing 'Wii U' was a bad name choice. If they really wanted to stick with the 'Wii' name, maybe they should have added a '2' instead of a 'U'.

Iwata says that the 3DS name was not one of its problems, so I don't think they will. And even so, they won't change it anymore now lol

Bgamer90

Banned

What you said doesn't really fit in because what I (and others) are saying is that the confusion may cause some people to possibly not get it. If they aren't interested in it and/or dismiss it due to them thinking it's just an accessory they may not buy it.

This topic is still going? The video pretty much confirms it was a fumble on Fallons part.

In any case, my favorite part of this (disliked) topic is the outrageous suggestion that nothing shown on Wii U looks as good as Resident Evil 4.

Flakster99

It's like this is the first time some of you have been through a generational change, and that's ok.

I remember various popular magazines from the late 80's-late 90's discussing various rumors, month after month, tons of 'guess work' type reporting that differed greatly from the final released console(s). This 'misinformation' that was reported was always a fun time for me and my friends as it lent itself to plenty of guess work ourselves, discussions from 'what ifs' to 'what are they smoking', all of it peaking and prolonging our interests and continued discussions of minute details.

Fast forward to message boards and the internet in general. There have been a few goof ups here and there from popular reporting agencies, it isn't a big deal, this industry has been there done that. There will be plenty of time between now and launch to properly advertize the Wii U, the marketing machine hasn't even begun, nevermind a firm release date and price.

Absolutely Nintendo have to get their ducks in a row, from 1st/2nd/3rd party line-up, date, price, online, especially their marketing when launching the Wii U, and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one, I think they've earned it.

Bgamer90

Banned
It's like this is the first time some of you have been through a generational change, and that's ok.

No. If anything, us going through previous generational changes is part of the reason we are questioning how Nintendo is going to show off the Wii U.

In previous generational changes, the consoles were at the forefront with their branding & advertising being completely different from their predecessors.

Just saying that they *may* have a problem if they don't change their advertising up a bit.

If articles talk about how Wii U is a brand new console, but then people ask if it can be bought with Wii, I don't know who's respondible for this. If it's clear in the article that it's a new platform, then it's just what always happen with every console, when people go and ask if "Mario can be played on PS2".
I think the analogy of marketing and teaching put forward earlier in the thread works well. Although it's too soon to tell how well the class is responding I guess and there's still plenty of time to rectify this.

While we're dealing in anecdotes; I was personally confused by their unveiling at last year's E3. Ergo, I can see why people who don't follow gaming news could also be.

I'm not sure why some people seem so hostile to the idea that brand confusion may exist and/or shockhorror Nintendo are not infallible.

Nintendo airs WiiU commercial which ends with a shot of the Gamepad and console, with. narration/text that says "WiiU console & Gamepad selling for $299. The high price tag lets the non gamer know that this is not a Wii peripheral, but a brand new console. Problem solved.
Nintendo airs a commercial with people playing NSMBWU using the GamePad and Wiimotes; shows a console that looks a lot like the one currently on the market - presumably using a general advertising theme consistent with the Wii brand - happy fake families etc. and it alleviates all potential confusion for someone fleetingly watching ads?

Flakster99

No. If anything, us going through previous generational changes is part of the reason we are questioning how Nintendo is going to show off the Wii U.

In previous generational changes, the consoles were at the forefront with their branding & advertising being completely different.

Just saying that they *may* have a problem if they don't change their advertising up a bit.

Agreed. They have the time and the experience on their side, I simply choose to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Bgamer90

Banned
Agreed. They have the time and the experience on their side, I simply choose to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Oh okay. I see.

I would do the same if I wasn't someone who was interested in logo design, branding & advertising. I just like talking about things like this.

Flakster99

Oh okay. I see.

I would do the same if I wasn't someone who was interested in logo design, branding & advertising. I just like talking about things like this.

Yeah, that is what message boards are for. :) I'm in advertizing also, different products to boot.

Nintendo have had their teeth kicked-in here and there recently and they absolutely need to handle their continued marketing push going forward in a much more focused, aware manner. Thus far it hasn't been a life or death situation, which is something we both agree, and hope they do better going forward, which is something we'll just have to sit back, wait and see.

jrDev

Wow....

at the people in this thread with the over reactions.

Can anyone summarize why there is a 22 page thread on this?

Terrell

What you said doesn't really fit in because what I (and others) are saying is that the confusion may cause some people to possibly not get it. If they aren't interested in it and/or dismiss it due to them thinking it's just an accessory they may not buy it.

There's a bit of cognitive dissonance here. Even if people are confused that it's an accessory, the Gamepad is still being presented with the functions it provides to gameplay. If they're not interested in it as an accessory, why would they suddenly be excited about it being part of a new console instead, when nothing about what it adds to gameplay changes?

Bgamer90

Banned
There's a bit of cognitive dissonance here. Even if people are confused that it's an accessory, the Gamepad is still being presented with the functions it provides to gameplay. If they're not interested in it as an accessory, why would they suddenly be excited about it being part of a new console instead, when nothing about what it adds to gameplay changes?

You honestly don't know why some people would be more excited about a brand spanking new console in comparison to an accessory for an old system?

Jimmy Fallon is calling WiiU an accessory, Jimmy Kimmel is giving away 360's tonight, it's a Jimmy conspiracy!

973675_o.gif

You honestly don't know why some people would be more excited about a brand spanking new console in comparison to an accessory for an old system?

You are talking to a guy who thinks the WiiU is going to hold a PS2 style dominance over the market, common sense and reality aren't exactly involved in the thought process.

Yeaaaaa... No. The confusion will still be there because the console looks exactly like the Wii, the name is Wii U instead of Wii 2, and the focus is on the controller which can be mistaken for an add on.

Not every consumer is a retard.

One item will probably be 99 dollars and receive little to no advertising this christmas while the other box will have a sticker price 300 or more, a picture of a new 'box' and controller that looks nothing like the wii mote, and a hundred million dollar marketing campaign most likely.

If they dont get the clue its a different system, the games that come in different colored/marked boxes will nail the point home.

The new ipad is just called 'the new ipad'. Do you think most consumers are confused by that shit? Of course, but that is why there are human beings behind the counters to explain this stuff and google to explain things at home. People tend to do some level of research before dropping more than $150 bucks.

Terrell

Well, tell me what else is going to sell the system to the 100 million previous Wii buyers. Certainly isn't graphics or online functionality, the purchase of a Wii already testifies to those things not being of grand importance. So tell me what else is going to draw these consumers to it if not the input method and what it offers.

Anyone who would be interested in WiiU for any other reason other than the Gamepad ALREADY KNOWS IT'S NOT AN ACCESSORY.

Bgamer90

Banned

lol, so anyone that doesn't following the gaming scene that much that may get confused is "a retard"?

One item will probably be 99 dollars and receive little to no advertising this christmas while the other box will have a sticker price 300 or more, a picture of a new 'box' and controller that looks nothing like the wii mote, and a hundred million dollar marketing campaign most likely.

You sure they will show off the new box a lot?

Think it's a given they will show off the tablet controller...

If they dont get the clue its a different system, the games that come in different colored/marked boxes will nail the point home.

(Pic:)

I wouldn't necessarily say so. Some may just think, "Oh, these games only work for the new tablet controller."

The new ipad is just called 'the new ipad'. Do you think most consumers are confused by that shit? Of course, but that is why there are human beings behind the counters to explain this stuff and google to explain things at home. People tend to do some level of research before dropping more than $150 bucks.

Heh, I love how people keep using apple products to compare. FYI, new apple products come out each year. People are use to it. On top of that, people pay attention to an Apple device such as an iPad or an iPhone since it's viewed as being an important device and not a "toy".

Well, tell me what else is going to sell the system to the 100 million previous Wii buyers. Certainly isn't graphics or online functionality, the purchase of a Wii already testifies to those things not being of grand importance.

You can't automatically say that. The reason for someone getting a Wii back in 2006/2007 may be different from what the same person/people would want a system to do now in 2012, especially when it comes to something that costs a few hundred bucks (i.e.: a decent amount of money). Certain features have risen in importance and quality.

Anyone who would be interested in WiiU for any other reason other than the Gamepad ALREADY KNOWS IT'S NOT AN ACCESSORY.

Dude, that's the point we are trying to make. If some people don't know that it's a new system, they may not be interested in it. If they knew about the qualities outside of the tablet, they would know that it isn't just an accessory.

However, Nintendo so far has been making the tablet the main point of focus.

Meh. I think this would only be an issue if a year after launch people still think it's a Wii. It's way too soon to be a legit concern.

Does Apple still sell the iPad 2? Does Best Buy? Does Target amd Walmart? Also, Nintendo isnt Apple. The new iPad also is called the NEW ipad to differentiate it from its predecessor while the Wii U just has a new letter attached to it.

The boxes look the same - both with regard to the actual console and with regard to game packaging. If the 3DS is any indication, retailers will stock them next to each other.

This sort of exchange is probably well within the realm of possibility - depending upon how they continue forward:

"I want the new Wii U controller."
"You mean the new console?"
"No, I just want the controller."
"You can't just get the controller, you need to buy both."
"But I already have a Wii."

Or variants thereof. Assuming standalone controllers aren't available.

If they are that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish.
I really don't think Apple products should be used as an example. Apple exists in its own little bubble. Even then, Apple does make sure to let it be known that the new iPad or iPhone has an X many core processor with X many pixels etc. Nintendo seem to avoid any mention of technical specification like the plague.

Does Apple still sell the iPad 2? Does Best Buy? Does Target amd Walmart? Also, Nintendo isnt Apple. The new iPad also is called the NEW ipad to differentiate it from its predecessor while the Wii U just has a new letter attached to it.

And Nintendo has called Wii U the new console.

Sinoox

Banned
Could be devastating for Nintendo initially but they really only have themselves to blame. But you can't buy the Wii U game pad separately right, it comes with the console? In that case you can't have a lot of confusion because the customer will figure it out before they purchase. Once its in stores for a while people will probably start to understand.

NEW! U! NEW! U! MOOPS! MOORS!

sein2a.gif

lol at some of these posts.

Joei

The boxes look the same - both with regard to the actual console and with regard to game packaging. If the 3DS is any indication, retailers will stock them next to each other.

This sort of exchange is probably well within the realm of possibility - depending upon how they continue forward:

"I want the new Wii U controller."
"You mean the new console?"
"No, I just want the controller."
"You can't just get the controller, you need to buy both."
"But I already have a Wii."

I worked in retail for a few Christmas's and those words will likely be spoken 100x a day. Don't give the average consumer more credit than they deserve. WE can tell the difference between the Wii U and Wii and know the difference, but the average person will just look at it and think it's the same thing.

You also have to consider that a lot of consoles go through remodels. 360 has had a remodel, PS3 went slim, and at first glance the Wii U looks like just another remodel and not a new console. I'm not opposed to the Wii U name as a name, but I can bet that sales are going to be affected because it's not going to be looked at as a new console by the average consumer. PS2 to PS3 sounded like an upgrade, Xbox to Xbox 360 = upgrade, hell, Nintendo to Super Nintendo was pretty apparent to be an upgrade, Wii to Wii U with a near identical looking system looks like remodel. Their best bet in this case would be to slap a 2 on it and call it a day.

Limanima

To the average person the console looks the same as the Wii. The only difference is the controller.

Nintendo ran into the same problem when they stupidly named their handheld 3ds and many people assumed it was just a ds with 3d.
It isn't? Lol, i really thought it was!!

Really? So its called The Wii U aka te New Wii? No. Its not part of the actual name. I doubt it will be on the box itself. I doubt it will be on game boxes. Mom and dad dont follow E3, GAF, etc.

Uh no. It's been referred to multiple times as the new console. You're grasping at straws with that angle. It's not an issue right now like some are trying to make it be.

Joei

It isn't? Lol, i really thought it was!!

You know what's funny, I don't follow handheld devices and as much as I frequent this board, I never bothered to read up on the 3DS. When it came out, I honestly thought it was just a remodel of the DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom