• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimmy Fallon calls the Wii U "a Wii add-on".

Status
Not open for further replies.

JazzmanZ

You can't deny that these look alike

M0XzE.jpg

0GfVv.jpg

But I don't even think thats the main issue, the issue is their emphasis on the controller and a name that doesn't scream sequel but rather revision.

I know this is a page ago, and I really don't feel like posting in this thread where the debate is just going on loop.

But I just wanted the Point out that the exact same thing happened with the NES
images

that was released at the end of the lifespan when

Nintendo_Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_SNES.jpg
'

The Super NES was coming out.

This isn't new for Nintendo, they're going to advertise the thing as the successor to the Wii, sure the console looks like the Wii, but the controller is a completely different situation. Unless the average joe is as retarded as grandma thinking Mario can play on xbox, or where the Sony Playtendo is, I'm pretty sure they'll know its a different system.

If a kid wants one, the parents are going to ask what the Wii U is from the kid, and chances are he'll tell them its a new system.

Bgamer90

Banned
I know this is a page ago, and I really don't feel like posting in this thread where the debate is just going on loop.

But I just wanted the Point out that the exact same thing happened with the NES
database-hardware-nesredesign01.jpg

that was released at the end of the lifespan when

Nintendo_Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_SNES.jpg
'

The Super NES was coming out.

This isn't new for Nintendo, they're going to advertise the thing as the successor to the Wii, sure the console looks like the Wii, but the controller is a completely different situation.

The redesigned NES and the SNES looked like entirely different systems though, had different colors, were advertised differently, had completely different packaging for the systems themselves as well as the games, etc.

Unless the average joe is as retarded as grandma thinking Mario can play on xbox, or where the Sony Playtendo is, I'm pretty sure they'll know its a different system.

I wouldn't compare something like that to the situation here... or at least say that it's similar.

If a kid wants one, the parents are going to ask what the Wii U is from the kid, and chances are he'll tell them its a new system.

What if the kid him/herself thinks it's just a tablet controller?

And posts like yours just keep on adding to it, thus making it longer.

lol, do people even realize the irony when they make posts like this?

lol Does Bgamer even realize people stopping by to watch and remark at the sight of a trainwreck doesn't make said trainwreck any less than what it already is? A trainwreck. Now are you going to reply with another one of your forced, pretend oblivious "lol People just need to relax" acts, or jump into not-so-relaxed-Bgamer mode and ask me to "Stop insulting" your thread or will you use one of your brilliant little circular questions like, "So, are you saying all trainwrecks are really trainwrecks and that everyone who stops by a trainwreck won't be able to keep themselves from stopping to talk about it?" Pretty good breakdown of 99% of your ultra repetitive posts in here I'd say.

JazzmanZ

The redesigned NES and the SNES looked like entirely different systems though, had different colors, were advertised differently, had completely different packaging for the systems themselves as well as the games, etc.

So why are you saying there's a problem with the Wii U?
The Wii has a remote control for the controller, The Wii U uses a controller with a big screen on it.

They are a lot different compared to the redesigned NES vs. the SNES, both had a very similar controller, and the system was almost the same but different, in this case the NES one was more round and had different button placements, while the SNES was more blocky. It's exactly like the Wii and Wii U situation, only the Wii was the blocky one.

As for packaging, that's up in the air right now from Nintendo, Nintendoland may or may not be included.

What if the kid him/herself thinks it's just a tablet controller?

Well I'd have no idea how the kid found out about the thing and assumed it was just a add-on. 95% of outlets I know described the Wii U as a new system.

anyways I'm done here, enjoy debating in a circle.

Uh no. It's been referred to multiple times as the new console. You're grasping at straws with that angle. It's not an issue right now like some are trying to make it be.
Referred to where? Im not saying Nintendo wont have commercials advertizing it as new, I'm saying parents will still be confused by it when they go to buy the pad.

Referred to where? Im not saying Nintendo wont have commercials advertizing it as new, I'm saying parents will still be confused by it when they go to buy the pad.

What's with the "Endlessly Confused and Mentally Defective Parent Defense Force" obsession? Seriously? It's a new Nintendo system launching with a new Mario. Some people will be confused but many will get past it and still buy it. Unless all mainstream Nintendo consumers remain eternally confused, this thread and your posts will then likely be added to Terrell's wall 'o shame. End of story.

Bgamer90

Banned
lol Does Bgamer even realize people stopping by to watch and remark at the sight of a trainwreck doesn't make said trainwreck any less than what it already is? A trainwreck.

So it doesn't make the "trainwreck" even longer?

Now are you going to reply with another one of your forced, pretend oblivious "lol People just need to relax" acts, or jump into not-so-relaxed-Bgamer mode and ask me to "Stop insulting" your thread or will you use one of your brilliant little circular questions like, "So, are you saying all trainwrecks are really trainwrecks and that everyone who stops by a trainwreck won't be able to keep themselves from stopping to talk about it?" Pretty good breakdown of 99% of your ultra repetitive posts in here I'd say.

LOL. What is wrong with you? Seriously.

And pretty ironic that you are calling my posts repetitive when your posts in this thread have been you either saying how I've been in the thread or you posting a one sentence reply with a gif.

So why are you saying there's a problem with the Wii U?
The Wii has a remote control for the controller, The Wii U uses a controller with a big screen on it.

Because... the controller =/= the system. Therefore (again) people may think that it's just a new controller especially due to the name that's similar to previous Wii accessories.

They are a lot different compared to the redesigned NES vs. the SNES, both had a very similar controller, and the system was almost the same but different, in this case the NES one was more round and had different button placements, while the SNES was more blocky.

No. How can you ignore the different styles of branding, the different colors & buttons the systems, the fact that the system itself was the selling point in both cases, or the completely different style of packaging?

It's exactly like the Wii and Wii U situation, only the Wii was the blocky one.

No it's not exactly like the situation we are talking about here.

If anything, it would make more sense to compare it to what happened with the 3DS but even that isn't exactly the same.

Well I'd have no idea how the kid found out about the thing and assumed it was just a add-on. 95% of outlets I know described the Wii U as a new system.

Okay then. I was just stating it since it may happen in some cases.

anyways I'm done here, enjoy debating in a circle.

Haha, had to get that shot in there before you left huh?

lednerg

If someone goes to buy a tablet for their Wii and ends up with a brand new console in the process, then so what? Also, there are people at these stores whose job it is to answer questions about products. This is such a non-issue.

Bgamer90

Banned
What's with the "Endlessly Confused and Mentally Defective Parent Defense Force" obsession? Seriously? It's a new Nintendo system launching with a new Mario. Some people will be confused but many will get past it and still buy it. Unless all mainstream Nintendo consumers remain eternally confused, this thread and your posts will then likely be added to Terrell's wall 'o shame. End of story.

Yeah a new mario that looks pretty similar to what's already on the Wii.

And again, it was never about "all being confused", it's about the confusion possibly being greater than usual.

Bgamer90

Banned
If someone goes to buy a tablet for their Wii and ends up with a brand new console in the process, then so what?

It's not necessarily about them buying it... it's about them NOT buying it due to them thinking it's just a tablet for their Wii and nothing more.

Also, there are people at these stores whose job it is to answer questions about products. This is such a non-issue.

Heh, again, it was never really about "in store situations".

I'm honored to be added to 'Terrell's wall of shame' if there is such a thing. I love how its so difficult for some Nintendo fans to just admit
That the name and near exact likeness of the Wii wasnt a good decision to help dofferentiate it. The defense force is amazing.

So it doesn't make the "trainwreck" even longer?

Well, thanks for at least agreeing with me that the thread is a trainwreck. :)

LOL. What is wrong with you? Seriously.

Another phony "lol" post with a dig? Best you can do at this point?

And pretty ironic that you are calling my posts repetitive when your posts in this thread have been you either saying how I've been in the thread or you posting a one sentence reply with a gif.

This is NeoGaf, home of gifs. You should be glad I'm posting some funny pics in here to lighten the mood.

Haha, had to get that shot in there before you left huh?

So you troll people in here for staying but then you troll someone for choosing to leave? Classy.

This is NeoGaf, home of gifs. You should be glad I'm posting some funny pics in here to lighten the mood in here.

So you troll people in here for staying but then you troll someone for choosing to leave? Classy.

You sure do take videogames seriously. Making a videogame thread personal is quite sad.

Bgamer90

Banned

No, I actually don't agree. There has been many good points as well as suggestions made by people.

If anything, posts like your's are making this thread become "a trainwreck".

How else am I suppose to respond to nonsense that's turning an interesting discussion into something with in-depth personal attacks of members?

It's actually a bit scary to me to be honest.

This is NeoGaf, home of gifs. You should be glad I'm posting some funny pics in here to lighten the mood in here.

Heh...

So pointing out something that wasn't necessary in a post is trolling?

What in the world....

I'm honored to be added to 'Terrell's wall of shame' if there is such a thing.

Right here:

Internet commentary on unreleased products usually does look stupid EVERY single time. Just a few examples I can recall off the top of my head:

Vita - "Wow, look at that tech for $250! 3DS is dead as soon as this thing hits!!"

Wii - "you'll be able to walk into any store and buy one at launch!"

DS - "WTF is this 2 screen bullshit?! Looks like a piece of shit, will not buy"

iPhone - "lol only Apple fanboys would buy this thing, it doesn't stand a chance against current market leaders"

I really could go on forever.

I love how its so difficult for some Nintendo fans to just admit
That the name and near exact likeness of the Wii wasnt a good decision to help dofferentiate it. The defense force is amazing.

Oh now, now. Let's not go down the cranky and tired "I don't get why it's so hard for certain fans to get such and such" road while you cling tooth and nail to soccer mom apocalypse.

You sure do take videogames seriously. Making a videogame thread personal is quite sad.

You sure do take Jimmy Fallon's mistake, CNN and soccer moms serious. Making the use of the letter U over the word NEW and the number 2 something personal and taking up some mantle on an Internet forum for confused consumers is quite sad.

Terrell

You can't automatically say that. The reason for someone getting a Wii back in 2006/2007 may be different from what the same person/people would want a system to do now in 2012, especially when it comes to something that costs a few hundred bucks (i.e.: a decent amount of money). Certain features have risen in importance and quality.

Dude, that's the point we are trying to make. If some people don't know that it's a new system, they may not be interested in it. If they knew about the qualities outside of the tablet, they would know that it isn't just an accessory.

However, Nintendo so far has been making the tablet the main point of focus.

Anyone that is interested in graphic fidelity and online functionality NOW would have been back in 2006 when they had a choice between a Wii that didn't offer a substantial case for either of those things and a 360 that did (and let's not pretend that the internet hadn't already exploded into mainstream culture by then and that its importance has increased exponentially since then, the only thing that's changed in demand regarding the internet is our desire to consume it on the go).

Are we seriously going to sit here and say that the Wii wasn't sold entirely on the premise of the Wii Remote and its conceptual additions to gameplay? As I said, anyone who gives a shit about online and graphics would have bought a 360 back in 2006, when it was an established console with a larger library and a huge marketing push which advertised those features. That people chose to buy a Wii instead indicates those are very secondary concerns.

The hardcore market knows what it is, so this argument hinges entirely on the casual market, who overwhelmingly voted with their dollars on what is important to them. New methods of play are what sold them, that's what Nintendo is pushing.

If anyone is disinterested in WiiU, it's because they don't find Nintendo's value proposition on tablet gaming to be of value to them, accessory or otherwise. Any other features that could interest them in buying would very quickly show that there is a new console involved upon ANY reading into the subject.

You sure do take Jimmy Fallon's blooper, CNN and soccer moms serious. Making the use of letter U over the word NEW and the number 2 something personal and taking up some mantle on an Internet forum for confused consumers is quite sad.
im not the one that was getting personal because someone dosagreed with me. You take this tread personal and have made it seem you have difficulty separating someone calling out a corporation from calling you out. But continue if you must.

im not the one that was getting personal because someone dosagreed with me. You take this tread personal and have made it seem you have difficulty separating someone calling out a corporation from calling you out. But continue if you must.

Uh huh. Stop trying to project this on to me and stop trying to throw things off track with the sad "You're taking this too personally!" line. It's obvious the whole reason we're posting is because people are calling out a corporation (Nintendo). As I've pointed out before, I've called them out myself recently:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=38914978

Nintendo obviously still has some work to do on Wii U marketing. Just that both sides disagree as to how much and one side thinks the other is possibly making it to be a bit more of a crisis than it really is in the long run.

Anyone that is interested in graphic fidelity and online functionality NOW would have been back in 2006 when they had a choice between a Wii that didn't offer a substantial case for either of those things and a 360 that did (and let's not pretend that the internet hadn't already exploded into mainstream culture by then and that its importance has increased exponentially since then, the only thing that's changed in demand regarding the internet is our desire to consume it on the go).

Are we seriously going to sit here and say that the Wii wasn't sold entirely on the premise of the Wii Remote and its conceptual additions to gameplay? As I said, anyone who gives a shit about online and graphics would have bought a 360 back in 2006, when it was an established console with a larger library and a huge marketing push which advertised those features. That people chose to buy a Wii instead indicates those are very secondary concerns.

The hardcore market knows what it is, so this argument hinges entirely on the casual market, who overwhelmingly voted with their dollars on what is important to them. New methods of play are what sold them, that's what Nintendo is pushing.

If anyone is disinterested in WiiU, it's because they don't find Nintendo's value proposition on tablet gaming to be of value to them, accessory or otherwise. Any other features that could interest them in buying would very quickly show that there is a new console involved upon ANY reading into the subject.
The Wii U basically addresses this anyway, so it's somewhat a moot point, but I think that between 2006 and today graphical fidelity has become more important with the adoption of HDTV. At the time of the Wii's launch it was below 20% (US market) and it's now ~70+%. I would attribute part of the Wii's decline since it peaked in 2008, to this HD adoption.

I think most everyone would agree that the Wii sold based on the premise of motion gaming. Ergo, I fully understand them pushing the tablet-based controller a lot - in doing so though they can create brand confusion. And people have pointed out it could have been easily avoided.

No one is saying that this will cause the demise of the Wii U though, nor that it won't be rectified in future marketing anyway. The success of the Wii U will likely hinge almost entirely on how well the market that fueled the Wii's success react to the touch/asymmetric/NFC USPs of the Wii U. My money is personally on, less well than the reaction to motion gaming, but time will tell and I may have to eat my fedora.

Bgamer90

Banned
Anyone that is interested in graphic fidelity and online functionality NOW would have been back in 2006 when they had a choice between a Wii that didn't offer a substantial case for either of those things and a 360 that did

No. That's not true. You can't make a statement like that for "everyone/anyone" back then.

Since 2006, online console gaming has grown in popularity with features becoming bigger and better, thus getting more mainstream attention.

Also in terms of graphics, HDTV's are now pretty much the norm. That wasn't true back in 2006.

(and let's not pretend that the internet hadn't already exploded into mainstream culture by then and that its importance has increased exponentially since then, the only thing that's changed in demand regarding the internet is our desire to consume it on the go).

Haha, really?

So Xbox live and it's features and popularity are exactly the same now as it was back in 2006?

Are we seriously going to sit here and say that the Wii wasn't sold entirely on the premise of the Wii Remote and its conceptual additions to gameplay?

It was sold on that yes, but at the same time that was entirely different from anything else at the time in terms of that, as well as how they branded the system (in terms of style and content).

As I said, anyone who gives a shit about online and graphics would have bought a 360 back in 2006, when it was an established console with a larger library and a huge marketing push which advertised those features.

So it's impossible for people to have changed what they find to be important in a game console 6-7 years later?

"New methods of play" was completely different from how consoles were advertised back in 2006 though. Plus, again, that was back in 2006.

Since then some may have moved on to something like the kinect, noticed the features in xbox live, and possibly started becoming interested in online features and/or gaming. Or they may have possibly noticed the improved graphics in the games and started to find that as being an important quality.

Don't see why that's so far-fetched.

Exactly, so why are you against me saying that Nintendo should show off things outside of the Tablet a bit more?

Wouldn't it be better to "kill two birds with one stone" and show off the Tablet as well as things outside of that in similar fashion and frequency?

this thread:

"yuh huh"
"nuh uh"
"you mad, bro?"
"this thread:"

repeat

Not really. The last page or so though, maybe (haha).

lednerg

Not really. The last page or so though, maybe (haha).

That must be it then, because, wow.

Nintendo uses events like E3 and reactions on online social media to gauge what their approach to their ad campaigns should be. They pay millions to firms whose only purpose is this kind of market research. If there is general confusion, or some other kind of perception which doesn't help them, then their ads will be the way in which they address these issues. So until we've actually seen those ads, I would hold off on trying to guess what people are thinking in the future.

Bgamer90

Banned
That must be it then, because, wow.

Nintendo uses events like E3 and reactions on online social media to gauge what their approach to their ad campaigns should be. They pay millions to firms whose only purpose is this kind of market research. If there is general confusion, or some other kind of perception which doesn't help them, then their ads will be the way in which they address these issues. So until we've actually seen those ads, I would hold off on trying to guess what people are thinking in the future.

There's nothing wrong with having a "wait and see" approach.

However, (as I said before) I'm interested in logo design, branding & advertising. I like talking about things like this.

How else am I suppose to respond to nonsense that's turning an interesting discussion into something with in-depth personal attacks of members?

Oh, grow up. People pointedly replying and disagreeing with you aren't "personal attacks." It's too bad your little Jimmy Fallon on-air mistake thread hasn't turned out to be the easy going free ride of fun and laughs you thought it'd be when people actually decide to disagree with you and discuss another angle on it? What a shame.

It's actually a bit scary to me to be honest.

Haha Please.

z0m3le

Banned
Does anyone really worry about Wii U sales if it's perceived as an add-on?

The controller isn't going to sell separately (it will probably come with a Wii U game down the road like WiiPlay)

The balance board sold 43Million world wide, which frankly is competitive with PS3/Xbox360.

Haunted

I certainly don't think it's a big problem right now, since the launch is still a couple months out.

We'll see if they specifically address this in their marketing campaign once it launches, or if "just" a regular launch campaign with TV ads etc will be enough to scatter these early misconceptions.

Does anyone really worry about Wii U sales if it's perceived as an add-on?

The controller isn't going to sell separately (it will probably come with a Wii U game down the road like WiiPlay)

Bingo. The "magical add-on of confusion that only comes with a new console which will make everybody too mad to buy the system when they find out it's not really an add-on."

Internet commentary on unreleased products usually does look stupid EVERY single time. Just a few examples I can recall off the top of my head:

Vita - "Wow, look at that tech for $250! 3DS is dead as soon as this thing hits!!"

Wii - "you'll be able to walk into any store and buy one at launch!"

DS - "WTF is this 2 screen bullshit?! Looks like a piece of shit, will not buy"

iPhone - "lol only Apple fanboys would buy this thing, it doesn't stand a chance against current market leaders"

I really could go on forever.

How come you didn't bring up the 3DS reactions and how amazingly successful a good portion of people thought it was going to be at the start?

The balance board sold 43Million world wide, which frankly is competitive with PS3/Xbox360.

No, it didn't, Wii Fit+ sales are not all balance board sales. And 43 million is 50% less than the 360/PS3 so by your logic, the PS3 and 360 is more than competitive with what the Wii hardware sold.

lednerg

There's nothing wrong with having a "wait and see" approach.

However, (as I said before) I'm interested in logo design, branding & advertising. I like talking about things like this.

I don't think the logo/branding is any more confusing than Xbox 360 was. When you get down to what matters, it's the games. Nintendo needs to communicate that they have new compelling experiences for people in store because of the Wii U Gamepad and "HD graphics". Whether or not it is a console or an add-on is immaterial; the people who would be 'confused' aren't going to be less confused if they find out it also includes its own console.

Bgamer90

Banned
I must be on neogaf because all I see is nerds arguing over nonsense!

Sorry for being interested in advertising & branding!

I'll try to act "cool" (though I can't see how that's possible on a video game forum lol). Also, I think having discussions over video games can be considered "nonsense" regardless...

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't think the logo/branding is any more confusing than Xbox 360 was.

The 360 had a completely different logo, different style of branding & advertising, completely different look to the system itself from it's predecessor, etc.

When you get down to what matters, it's the games. Nintendo needs to communicate that they have new compelling experiences for people in store because of the Wii U Gamepad and "HD graphics".

Agreed.

Whether or not it is a console or an add-on is immaterial; the people who would be 'confused' aren't going to be less confused if they find out it also includes its own console.

Yeah, again I'm not saying that they will be "more confused". However, the discussion itself was about some people dismissing the Wii U due to them thinking it's just a Wii Tablet, and/or people being surprised at the price (due to them thinking it's just a tablet) and therefore refusing to get it (though we have more so been talking about the former).

Terrell

Exactly, so why are you against me saying that Nintendo should show off things outside of the Tablet a bit more?

Wouldn't it be better to "kill two birds with one stone" and show off the Tablet as well as things outside of that in similar fashion and frequency?

I'm not against the idea. They are doing exactly that. This thread is just jumping the gun in the worst way.

As I have said repeatedly, this is a non-issue because it's being spoken of extremely prematurely and won't last under any circumstances for a multitude of reasons. Heck, Nintendo spent half of an entire pre-E3 address discussing features that had NOTHING TO DO with the Gamepad. An address that happened within the past 2 weeks, which we're making conclusions about it "not being enough". I mean, it's only been 2 WEEKS since E3, a little perspective on that is a bit necessary and hasn't been taken into account whatsoever.

My point is and always has been that if we're going to look at things prematurely as we are, we are required to base any assumptions made purely on past situations that have already happened, not hypothetical present-day ones with multitudes of unknown variables that aren't being qualified by anything.

For instance... you say that graphic fidelity and online features are of primary importance to consumers now that wasn't present when the Wii was sold... OK, I can concede to that, but if that's the case, consumers aren't likely to have been sitting around waiting for Nintendo to announce something, because they're not like hardcore gamers. Considering the influx of 360 sales, the numbers dictate that those consumers who care for such features already bought a Kinect bundle to have those features without having to sacrifice motion control gaming as a consequence, and any hope Nintendo has of marketing to them is GONE well before the WiiU was even formally announced, as a casual game consumer doesn't have the same level of hardware turnover that we do. They've made their console hardware investment already, and such consumers are to be considered off the table. And once again, that leaves people who are interested in gameplay advancements. If the WiiU Gamepad isn't selling them on its potential, it doesn't matter if it's as part of an accessory or new hardware, they just simply won't buy it one way or another.

z0m3le

Banned
No, it didn't, Wii Fit+ sales are not all balance board sales. And 43 million is 50% less than the 360/PS3 so by your logic, the PS3 and 360 is more than competitive with what the Wii hardware sold.

Are you adding PS3 and 360 together? 360 just announced they hit 67M sales of their console world wide in april, they also announced that Kinect has sold 19m world wide.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/28953 the balance board device sold 43m.

10th January 2012 - Nintendo’s Wii Balance Board has been awarded a prestigious, new Guinness World Record™ for “The best-selling personal weighing device”.

PS3 sold about ~63m world wide. I think balance board coming a bit later with only a couple games designed for it is pretty good all things considered.

Are you adding PS3 and 360 together? 360 just announced they hit 67M sales of their console world wide in april, they also announced that Kinect has sold 19m world wide.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/28953 the balance board device sold 43m.

10th January 2012 - Nintendo’s Wii Balance Board has been awarded a prestigious, new Guinness World Record™ for “The best-selling personal weighing device”.

PS3 sold about ~63m world wide. I think balance board coming a bit later with only a couple games designed for it is pretty good all things considered.

Umm, read your own link, might stop that annoying habit you have of making up facts
In order to set the record, a total of 32,114,428 Wii Balance Boards were sold worldwide

And I have no idea what Kinect has to do with your statement. 43 million is the amount of Wii fit and Wii Fit+ software sold, not balance boards. And the 360 has sold 50% more than 43 million, even if that number was balance boards. Guess what has sold 50% more than the 360, the Wii.

z0m3le

Banned
Umm, read your own link, might stop that annoying habit you have of making up facts

And I have no idea what Kinect has to do with your statement. 43 million is the amount of Wii fit and Wii Fit+ software sold, not balance boards. And the 360 has sold 50% more than 43 million, even if that number was balance boards. Guess what has sold 50% more than the 360, the Wii.

yes which happened by november 2010, good job reading the article though!, it went on to say Wii fit plus has sold over 10m more units since then, to reach the 43m units now sold world wide.

yes which happened by november 2010, good job reading the article though!, it went on to say Wii fit plus has sold over 10m more units since then, to reach the 43m units now sold world wide.

Wii Fit and Wii Fit+ software(not balance boards) has combined to sell 43 million as of March 31 2012, I like to deal with sourced facts, not the made up bullshit you specialize in.

Edit-Notice the date in your article? It's not 2010

In order to set the record, a total of 32,114,428 Wii Balance Boards were sold worldwide between launch and November 2010. This figure comprises 22,663,321 bundled with the original Wii Fit software and 9,451,107 bundled with Wii Fit Plus software. Since breaking the record, Nintendo has now sold over 22.67 million copies of Wii Fit and more than 19.31 million copies of Wii Fit Plus worldwide.

z0m3le

Banned
Wii Fit and Wii Fit+ software(not balance boards) has combined to sell 43 million as of March 31 2012, I like to deal with sourced facts, not the made up bullshit you specialize in.

Edit-Notice the date in your article? It's not 2010

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/01/wii_balance_board_enters_record_books
Nintendo have confirmed that the Wii Balance Board has officially achieved a Guinness World Record for the 'best-selling personal weighing device'. The record was initially broken back in November 2010 when just over 32 million units had been sold worldwide as part of Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus bundles, though this was only announced today. Since the record was claimed the number of Balance Boards sold has increased to just shy of 42 million, an impressive figure.
and that was January of this year, since then it has sold about 1m more. or 43m world wide. EVEN if people do believe Wii U game pad is an add on, it could easily go on to sell a competitive number of consoles, and then there is the millions of gamers who will know it's a new console. This marketing "problem" doesn't exist, and certainly doesn't mean anything until Wii U is marketed later this year.

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm not against the idea. They are doing exactly that. This thread is just jumping the gun in the worst way.

Wouldn't say anyone's jumping the gun. They currently do focus on the tablet more than anything else that's new about the Wii U.

As I have said repeatedly, this is a non-issue because it's being spoken of extremely prematurely and won't last under any circumstances for a multitude of reasons.

Heh, I wouldn't call it a non-issue. It's a possible issue if Nintendo doesn't change they way they show off the Wii U.

Heck, Nintendo spent half of an entire pre-E3 address discussing features that had NOTHING TO DO with the Gamepad. An address that happened within the past 2 weeks, which we're making conclusions about it "not being enough". I mean, it's only been 2 WEEKS since E3, a little perspective on that is a bit necessary and hasn't been taken into account whatsoever.

I never said it "wasn't enough". I just said what they did at E3 can't easily transfer over into a 2-3 minute TV ad.

My point is and always has been that if we're going to look at things prematurely as we are, we are required to base any assumptions made purely on past situations that have already happened, not hypothetical present-day ones with multitudes of unknown variables that aren't being qualified by anything.

But things were very different 7 years ago.

Again, I'm not saying "this will 100% surely happen"... I'm just saying that there's a possibility that it can cause confusion based on the current mix-ups I and others have seen/heard.

For instance... you say that graphic fidelity and online features are of primary importance to consumers now that wasn't present when the Wii was sold...

I never said primary importance. I said that I can see more people finding those qualities to be more important now in comparison to how they possibly viewed them 6-7 years ago.

OK, I can concede to that, but if that's the case, consumers aren't likely to have been sitting around waiting for Nintendo to announce something, because they're not like hardcore gamers. Considering the influx of 360 sales, the numbers dictate that those consumers who care for such features already bought a Kinect bundle to have those features without having to sacrifice motion control gaming as a consequence, and any hope Nintendo has of marketing to them is GONE well before the WiiU was even formally announced, as a casual game consumer doesn't have the same level of hardware turnover that we do. They've made their console hardware investment already, and such consumers are to be considered off the table. And once again, that leaves people who are interested in gameplay advancements.

No, I wouldn't say it's that cut and dry. You can't just cut people into groups that easily.

If the WiiU Gamepad isn't selling them on its potential, it doesn't matter if it's as part of an accessory or new hardware, they just simply won't buy it one way or another.

Bingo.

That's exactly what I'm saying, which is why the same type of people may be interested in things about the Wii U outside of the tablet itself.

Mista Koo

What if it turns out that the Wii U is actually a Wii add-on? It's just that Nintendo doesn't want to say it out loud because they prefer you buy it with their revised Wii?

z0m3le

Banned
Basically ignoring how Wii add ons have sold up to this point, and the fact that Wii U hasn't started a marketing campaign, showing up on talk shows and being announced and revealed at E3 is hardly any indication of how TV spots and other ads will show off the Wii U when it gets closer to launch. The big problem with the whole add on dooming Wii U before it launches; Is there is almost ZERO public mind share of the console, jimmy fallon had said it was a new console as well, so it doesn't point to every viewer thinking it is an add on coming.

And since it won't sell separately at launch, I don't understand why this is a problem in the first place.

lednerg

Yeah, again I'm not saying that they will be "more confused". However, the discussion itself was about some people dismissing the Wii U due to them thinking it's just a Wii Tablet, and/or people being surprised at the price (due to them thinking it's just a tablet) and therefore refusing to get it (though we have more so been talking about the former).

I doubt it's going to cost more than, say, an iPad - which is what most people think of when mentioning tablets. In fact, I'm sure it'll be quite cheap in comparison. They just need to make sure the casuals understand that it is a wireless tablet that magically connects to an HDTV, lets them use the Wiimotes/Balance Boards they already have, and that it's got fun looking games made especially for it. Even if they're confused about what exactly it is, it's not going to matter to casuals or parents. Wii games still work on it, and VC purchases will transfer over, so no harm no foul. Also, the ads for 3rd party titles should make it clear that it isn't just a Wii (and the core gamers those games are for likely already know that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom