• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimmy Fallon calls the Wii U "a Wii add-on".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bgamer90

Banned
This thread.

Thanks!

Basically ignoring how Wii add ons have sold up to this point, and the fact that Wii U hasn't started a marketing campaign, showing up on talk shows and being announced and revealed at E3 is hardly any indication of how TV spots and other ads will show off the Wii U when it gets closer to launch.

Heh, again it's not just that.

It's that along with personal examples I've seen and heard from other people.

And I never said it was a direct indication. I just said that there may be a possibility that the confusion can be a bit more frequent than normal.

The big problem with the whole add on dooming Wii U before it launches; Is there is almost ZERO public mind share of the console, jimmy fallon had said it was a new console as well, so it doesn't point to every viewer thinking it is an add on coming.

"A new console you add on to the wii and play with the wii though you don't have to".

The demo with Reggie was about 30 minutes after he said that.

And since it won't sell separately at launch, I don't understand why this is a problem in the first place.

It's a possible problem because it may make people uninterested in the Wii U or may make some expect the "tablet" (the system) to be a certain price before they purchase it.

Bgamer90

Banned
I doubt it's going to cost more than, say, an iPad - which is what most people think of when mentioning tablets. In fact, I'm sure it'll be quite cheap in comparison. They just need to make sure the casuals understand that it is a wireless tablet that magically connects to an HDTV, lets them use Wiimotes they already have, and that it's got fun looking games made especially for it. Even if they're confused about what exactly it is, it's not going to matter to casuals or parents. Wii games still work on it, and VC purchases will transfer over, so no harm no foul. Also, the ads for 3rd party titles should make it clear that it isn't just a Wii (and the core gamers those games are for likely already know that).

Yeah again, I'm not talking about core gamers at all. Most of them look at websites and follow up on gaming news.

I agree with you in that they need to make sure that the casual audience understands. The confusion obviously isn't going to matter much if they still purchase it but the confusion can work both ways.

lednerg

Yeah again, I'm not talking about core gamers at all. Most of them look at websites and follow up on gaming news.

I agree with you in that they need to make sure that the casual audience understands. The confusion obviously isn't going to matter much if they still purchase it but the confusion can work both ways.

That's why people here are saying this is much ado about nothing. We don't have a clue how they're selling this to casuals, yet they're the main demographic in question here.

Terrell

I never said it "wasn't enough". I just said what they did at E3 can't easily transfer over into a 2-3 minute TV ad.

They managed it with the Wii.

I never said primary importance. I said that I can see more people finding those qualities to be more important now in comparison to how they possibly viewed them 6-7 years ago.

As a man who professes to have an interest in marketing, you surely know that feature sets/selling points are divided into primary and secondary/tertiary. Primary selling points are the ones that make people want to go out and buy something. Secondary selling points are the ones that people like having but that in no way detract from the primary and tertiary fulfilling needs of niche buyers. No matter how important they get, if they don't climb out of being a secondary selling point, the consumer will not put enough priority in them to have their real or perceived lack of presence detract from their desire to make a purchase. You're suggesting that such features now hold equal sway to anything else Nintendo has presented about the Gamepad, which by right makes them a primary selling point to those consumers if they won't buy the product without their presence.

No, I wouldn't say it's that cut and dry. You can't just cut people into groups that easily.

Bingo.

That's exactly what I'm saying, which is why the same type of people may be interested in things about the Wii U outside of the tablet itself.

That's.... kind of what marketing is all about, dude. But aside from that, 360 sales numbers in the US and PS3 sales numbers in Europe and especially Japan speak for themselves. A number of people moved on from the Wii already and bought something that fills these new needs for online and better graphics, which both of those systems tout at every opportunity. Those purchasers are lost to Nintendo for the launch window purchase of a WiiU and it's a fact that can't be denied. Maybe they'll get them later, but by then there will be NO chance that any confusion about the product will remain, making them irrelevant to the conversation entirely. There may be some people who have still been on the fence who are primarily concerned about online and graphics, but a hesitant shopper is also, more often than not, an INFORMED shopper and not prone to impulse purchases. As such, they've done their homework and any homework would kill any confusion about this product being just a tablet.

z0m3le

Banned
It's that along with personal examples I've seen and heard from other people.

And I never said it was a direct indication. I just said that there may be a possibility that the confusion can be a bit more frequent than normal.

"A new console you add on to the wii and play with the wii though you don't have to".

The demo with Reggie was about 30 minutes after he said that.

It's a possible problem because it may make people uninterested in the Wii U or may make some expect the system to be a certain price before they purchase it.

I guess it will depend on how they market it, sort of like every other device. if people do believe it's a tablet device, ~$299 is more than reasonable considering ipad. We will just have to wait for the marketing campaign to kick off.

And again, how many people watch Jimmy Fallon? ~2m (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Night_with_Jimmy_Fallon#Ratings) how many watch the whole show? basically your problem exists to only the people who watched only the first half of the show and turned off their tv or changed the channel, I would venture to guess less than half of them do that, so you are looking at less than 1million viewers, confused about a product they will get far more information about before it's release.

And this thread has 24 pages of discussion.

Bgamer90

Banned
That's why people here are saying this is much ado about nothing. We don't have a clue how they're selling this to casuals, yet they're the main demographic in question here.

Wouldn't say it's much ado about nothing. If they are going to show off the system in similar fashion to how they do know, they may have a problem especially due to the name of the system.

I mean, when Sony announced the price of the PS3 with people telling me "that's too expensive" months before it came out, I said "Sony may have a problem..." (with a good number of people on the PS forums saying that I was overreacting). In terms of that case, I didn't see why it was wrong for me to state how things may have possibly went once the system released.

In terms of what I'm saying in this thread, I feel similar. I have noticed the confusion from people, and therefore am saying that Nintendo may possibly cause a decent amount to be confused around launch time.

z0m3le

Banned
Wouldn't say it's much ado about nothing. If they are going to show off the system in similar fashion to how they do know, they may have a problem especially due to the name of the system.

I mean, when Sony announced the price of the PS3 with people telling me "that's too expensive" months before it came out, I said "Sony may have a problem..." (with a good number of people on the PS forums saying that I was overreacting). In terms of that case, I didn't see why it was wrong for me to state how things may have possibly went once the system released.

In terms of what I'm saying in this thread, I feel similar. I have noticed the confusion from people, and therefore am saying that Nintendo may possibly cause a decent amount to be confused around launch time.

the difference between PS3's price and Wii U's marketing is that one was a fact, and one doesn't exist... make this thread again in a couple months when Nintendo is saying "it's a new tablet for your wii" at that point... well you'll have one.

lednerg

What Reggie does on TV or what Nintendo does at E3 is not what their ad agency is going to do. They will boil it all down to 30/60 second spots which hit all the important bullet points and sell the experience. More people will be exposed to these ads than all of those who currently have heard of a Wii U.

Limanima

You guys are stupid!!!!

So, the comsumer is stupid not Nintendo, is that it?
Nintendo is stupid for naming a new console 3DS when it looks exactly the same as a DS except for the 3D and it's size. Why should I not assume that a 3DS is nothing more than a DS with 3D?

z0m3le

Banned
Nintendo is stupid for naming a new console 3DS when it looks exactly the same as a DS except for the 3D and it's size. Why should I not assume that a 3DS is nothing more than a DS with 3D?

umm, same argument as the 360 right there, and I would venture to guess the games that say 3DS along the side, which always denote the required hardware needed to play the game.

In the end Software sell hardware, and while there were obviously people who didn't understand that 3DS was a new system, that was the fault of revision after revision, and marketing not making it clear enough, not because of a million or so people watching jimmy fallon who told them it was just a revision.

Bgamer90

Banned
They managed it with the Wii.

Yeah, again though that was different. Mostly everything about the Wii was absolutely easy to understand since it was different from the norm at the time and was simple and straightforward.

As a man who professes to have an interest in marketing, you surely know that feature sets/selling points are divided into primary and secondary/tertiary. Primary selling points are the ones that make people want to go out and buy something. Secondary selling points are the ones that people like having but that in no way detract from the primary and tertiary fulfilling needs of niche buyers. No matter how important they get, if they don't climb out of being a secondary selling point, the consumer will not put enough priority in them to have their real or perceived lack of presence detract from their desire to make a purchase.

True which is why I feel that certain things should move up in the same level of attention as the tablet.

You're suggesting that such features now hold equal sway to anything else Nintendo has presented about the Gamepad, which by right makes them a primary selling point to those consumers if they won't buy the product without their presence.

Not necessarily. Those features could make them sway into getting it even if they aren't that interested in the tablet.

E.G.: "Hey... I'm not interested in the tablet, but the wii U seems like it will be an improvement over my Wii... I may still get one."

Something like that could happen if Nintendo showed off the console and it's features/improvements as much as the tablet.

That's.... kind of what marketing is all about, dude.

Part of advertising is about putting people into groups however, it's still inaccurate to state how everyone of a certain group will view certain features.

But aside from that, 360 sales numbers in the US and PS3 sales numbers in Europe and especially Japan speak for themselves. A number of people moved on from the Wii already and bought something that fills these new needs for online and better graphics, which both of those systems tout at every opportunity. Those purchasers are lost to Nintendo for the launch window purchase of a WiiU and it's a fact that can't be denied.

No I wouldn't say that. If Nintendo showed off something that would make them interested, there's a possibility that some would still get a Wii U.

Maybe they'll get them later, but by then there will be NO chance that any confusion about the product will remain, making them irrelevant to the conversation entirely.

There still may be some confusion, however, I do agree that there more than likely won't be as much as during the first year or so.

There may be some people who have still been on the fence who are primarily concerned about online and graphics, but a hesitant shopper is also, more often than not, an INFORMED shopper and not prone to impulse purchases. As such, they've done their homework and any homework would kill any confusion about this product being just a tablet.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Someone who cares about online features and the look of games may not be informed about how those qualities are with the Wii U. If Nintendo doesn't show them off, some may view the Wii U as not being impressive in those areas due to what's being the emphasized.

I guess it will depend on how they market it, sort of like every other device. if people do believe it's a tablet device, ~$299 is more than reasonable considering ipad. We will just have to wait for the marketing campaign to kick off.

Depends on the person. Some may possibly see the Wii U tablet as a toy and think that the price is too much.

And again, how many people watch Jimmy Fallon? ~2m (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Night_with_Jimmy_Fallon#Ratings) how many watch the whole show? basically your problem exists to only the people who watched only the first half of the show and turned off their tv or changed the channel, I would venture to guess less than half of them do that, so you are looking at less than 1million viewers, confused about a product they will get far more information about before it's release.

Heh, again, the point/problem I'm referring to was never about what Fallon doing on the show making other people get confused (even if it may have happen with a few people). It was about the way he described the wii u being similar to how others have described it.

I was just correcting you, since while he did call it a system, he stated it as being a system one can add-on to their wii and never said anything else about it until much later in the show. Basically I got the impression that you were saying that he called it a "system" and nothing more.

And this thread has 24 pages of discussion.

Yep. Again, it was never about Fallon causing confusion. It has been about the Wii U branding as well as the way Nintendo has been showing off the system/tablet thus far.

Bgamer90

Banned

Oh no... I was just joking.

I was referring to other people who called ones that made similar mistakes "retarded".

Bgamer90

Banned
the difference between PS3's price and Wii U's marketing is that one was a fact, and one doesn't exist... make this thread again in a couple months when Nintendo is saying "it's a new tablet for your wii" at that point... well you'll have one.

I was not really comparing that.

I was comparing me thinking that there may be a problem based on me noticing how other people were.

It is a fact that back 7 or so years ago I heard many people say that the PS3 was too expensive. Therefore I said, "Sony may have a problem..."

It is a fact that I've heard and seen people get confused about the Wii U. Therefore I'm saying that Nintendo may possibly have a problem.

Also, again, Nintendo never said that "the Wii U is a tablet for your wii", so I don't know why that would be the point in which this discussion would be okay especially since this discussion is about how some people themselves (who may not follow up on gaming news) see the Wii U.

lednerg

Again, more people will see the commercials for Wii U than all of those who currently know about it combined. Whatever Nintendo execs do at E3 or on talk shows doesn't hold a candle to what their ad agency will be doing to get the console into homes. The "Wii would like to play" ad from Leo Burnett had FAR more to do with the runaway success of the console than its E3 showing that year or random talk show appearances.

Jokeropia

Not saying you should be happy or even that I'm happy, I'm just making predictions.
Well, you clearly don't know your game industry history.
It's not just that. It's other examples as well.
Your anecdotes, you mean?
How in the hell does this thread have 1000 replies? Seriously?

Because people with posts like your's have added on to it?
gJRht.png

Bgamer90

Banned
Your anecdotes, you mean?

gJRht.png

heh, you post that like I don't know that I have a lot of posts in here. I created the thread and am interested in branding/advertising, so yes, I know I posted a lot in here.

And in case of posts saying "Why is this so many pages?...", those posts just bump the thread and give it attention to new posters (obviously).

Also, my posts haven't been just about me seeing/hearing other people get confused about the Wii U.

Sorry for having a discussion with others in a thread I made on a message board... I thought that was something that they were made for. My mistake (lol).

Mondriaan

The basic strategy is always to get as much prolonged media coverage as possible.

My theory is that letting people think that it's an add-on is part of the marketing strategy. Then (in theory) they get free publicity in the form of reports of "I can't believe this wasn't just an add on".

Bgamer90

Banned
I generally agree that such posts aren't very productive, however they're hardly the primary reason for the thread's size.

Never said it was the primary reason.

Just stated that part of the reason for the thread being big is due to people bumping the thread with posts like that.

He clearly calls it a new console in the beginning, what are you talking about OP?

So you missed the part where he basically says, "You can add it on to the Wii and play it with the Wii though you don't have to"?

Did you see the first clip in the OP or the second clip with Jimmy and Reggie?

So you missed the part where he says, "You can add it on to the Wii and play it with the Wii though you don't have to"?

Did you see the first clip in the OP or the second clip with Jimmy and Reggie?

i saw both.

he clearly says Reggie is "here to give a new look at the brand new videogame console Wii U."

he goes on to say "this is the new thing, this is the new system"

then he says "you add it to your wii", and then corrects himself and says you can use it on its own but you can also use it with the wii.

Bgamer90

Banned
i saw both.

he clearly says Reggie is "here to give a new look at the brand new videogame console Wii U."

he goes on to say "this is the new thing, this is the new system"

then he says "you add it to your wii", and then corrects himself and says you can use it on its own but you can also use it with the wii.

...Exactly and that's not true.

And in terms of "correcting" himself he was stating that one didn't have to add it on to their wii. Not, "You can't add it to your wii".

...Exactly and that's not true.

And in terms of "correcting" himself he was stating that one didn't have to add it on to their wii. Not, "You can't add it to your wii".

he's talking with another guy and when he corrects himself he says "you don't even need to use the wii.... do you need to use the wii?...you can just use it on its/your own, but you can also use it with the wii." which is true, you can use the wiimote i believe.

combined with his opening statements of 'brand new console' and 'new system' i think its pretty clear its not an add-on.

he's talking with another guy and when he corrects himself he says "you don't even need to use the wii.... do you need to use the wii?...you can just use it on its/your own, but you can also use it with the wii." which is true, you can use the wiimote i believe.
The quote sounds like he is very confused and what exactly the Wii U is. And I'm pretty sure he mean use it with the Wii console.

Bgamer90

Banned

Haha... come on now. By "wii" he obviously didn't mean "wiimote".

Luigison

I just wanted the Point out that the exact same thing happened with the NES
images

that was released at the end of the lifespan when

Nintendo_Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_SNES.jpg
'

The Super NES was coming out.
So, you are saying that the Super Wii will becoming out soon after this Wii U version of the Wii? /s

Jokeropia

I don't think anything has changed, really. It's confusing if you're clueless, and for the masses that are (most of which likely haven't heard of the system yet) they have an advertising campaign prepared.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=492579

http://m.computerandvideogames.com/...-wii-u-pre-orders-due-to-overwhelming-demand/

"Gamestop Announces today Wii U Wait-Program "Demand off the charts"

US games retail giant GameStop has stopped taking pre-orders on Nintendo's Wii U console due to 'overwhelming demand'.

The firm announced today that it has instead "created a Wii U wait list exclusively for members of its PowerUp Rewards loyalty program".

GameStop isn't the only US retailer to halt Wii U pre-orders - Target stopped taking orders on its website earlier this week.

Wow. But too bad most of those people probably think they're just pre-ordering a "Wii add-on" and not an actual system, right?

Ardenyal

The Wii U needs the Oprah bump, otherwise the add-on will be dead in the water. Bayonetta 2 on Oprah... It needs to happen, I want to feel the awkward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom