• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimquisition: Nintendo - A Shit Distributor And Fuckheaded Toymaker (Nov. 28, 2016)

I just have to laugh at people who truly think it's in Nintendo's best interest to purposely hamstring their supply just to make it seem more attractive to consumers.

Supply can be a tricky beast, especially with a global company.
Isn't it a bit bizarre that they so woefully underestimated demand for their product, though? And that this seems to be a routine problem for them? I mean, they are either artificially constraining supply, or they are worse than any other video game company at meeting demand for their products. No matter how you look at it, it's bad business.

oneils

I still don't buy the idea that it's a planned marketing gimmick. It doesn't make sense. I think they really are just not good at predicting demand and then meeting it.

Either way, it puts into question their competence.

I guess they learned a thing or two from the Wii U. Made far too many, they won't make that mistake again.

Yup, can't blame them, though I would prefer that they could see the difference between the Wii U and a re-release of one of their most successful consoles. The latter was obviously going to have much more (actual) demand.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I still don't buy the idea that it's a planned marketing gimmick. It doesn't make sense. I think they really are just not good at predicting demand and then meeting it.

true, there are more animal crossing amiibos than they know what to do with, but that may be because of how bad the games are associated with them.

I just have to laugh at people who truly think it's in Nintendo's best interest to purposely hamstring their supply just to make it seem more attractive to consumers.

How long has Nintendo been making consoles?

If anything they probably prefer to be on the under supplied side as opposed to over supplied if the Wii-U was anything to go by.

If that's not the case they are horrible at forecasting demand....what ever, I was ready to buy two on day 1 but reading about the tiny cables I'm not so sure I want one anymore

VARIA

What's with the jarring nazi-esque imagery?

He makes a valid point though. I really hope Nintendo doesn't fuck up the Switch launch and not allow pre-orders. That would suck major donkey balls.

Parapraxis

People who think Nintendo made a mistake by not getting the NesMini to retailers in time for Black Friday are crazy, it's REALLY likely that Nintendo doesn't want to sell NesMINI at any other price than the full MSRP.

People seem to be forgetting that there is ZERO money to be made later on with software for the NesMini, it's a one and done sale for Nintendo, and you can bet your ass they'll happily drive up demand by distributing next to none before the biggest sales weekend of the year to make people go absolutely bonkers. They want everybody and their dog to get one...AT FULL PRICE.

People who think Nintendo made a mistake by not getting the NesMini to retailers in time for Black Friday are crazy, it's REALLY likely that Nintendo doesn't want to sell NesMINI at any other price than the full MSRP.

People seem to be forgetting that there is ZERO money to be made later on with software for the NesMini, it's a one and done sale for Nintendo, and you can bet your ass they'll happily drive up demand by distributing next to none before the biggest sales weekend of the year to make people go absolutely bonkers. They want everybody and their dog to get one...AT FULL PRICE.

They could still sell it at full price on Black Friday.

PSFan

I laugh at people thinking the NES Classic is a like a new console platform that's going to have games added to it for the next five years.

The problem is the fuckin scalpers. I remember the SNES, N64 and Gamecube were all announced to be in limited quantities at launch. On launch day for each one, I was able to walk into a store and buy one. No lines, crowd or frenzy. The Wii was the first Nintendo console to be tainted by scalpers, which caused all sorts of problems for its launch.

Same thing happened here, the scalpers swooped in and grabbed them up before legit buyers could.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I think the notion that Nintendo has a bunch of bumbling buffoons handling their sales forecasting, manufacturing and supply chain logistics as a reason this keeps happening more insulting and far more unrealistic. I doubt they stay in business if that were the case.

Cipherr

Isn't it a bit bizarre that they so woefully underestimated demand for their product, though? And that this seems to be a routine problem for them? I mean, they are either artificially constraining supply, or they are worse than any other video game company at meeting demand for their products. No matter how you look at it, it's bad business.

It's the latter for sure. I think you would have to be incredibly daft to think that this company that isn't making the profit they really want to right now because of underperforming hardware for the last.... damn near ~7 years at this point; Would intentionally hamstring their own ability to profit. That's beyond moronic.

They are just shitty at thinking this stuff through. Possibly HISTORICALLY shitty at it.

I laugh at people thinking the NES Classic is a like a new console platform that's going to have games added to it for the next five years.

The problem is the fuckin scalpers. I remember the SNES, N64 and Gamecube were all announced to be in limited quantities at launch. On launch day for each one, I was able to walk into a store and buy one. No lines, crowd or frenzy. The Wii was the first Nintendo console to be tainted by scalpers, which caused all sorts of problems for its launch.

Same thing happened here, the scalpers swooped in and grabbed them up before legit buyers could.

Blame Nintendo. Seriously. If there's ample supply, there's no problem.

tengiants

They got burnt by the Wii U. They got burnt by the 3DS. Even now everyone says just get Raspberry Pi instead, maybe Nintendo thought the same thing? Or maybe they are malicious and evil and only want to fatten the wallets of scalpers. I don't think it really matters.

I want one but I can wait. Too many new games to play anyways. And my nephews will just get some Legos for xmas instead.

If people didn't buy from scalpers, scalpers would stop their scummy practices.

The problem isn't just scalpers, it's also our consumerist society of people who can't sit tight and be patient for another retail shipment. People should realize they're not going to die if they don't get a product on release day. It takes two to tango. Stop buying from scalpers, have some backbone for crying out loud.

I think NES Classic itself is probably not a huge concern to them. They get no more money from it than from a single home console game, but it's more expensive to manufacture and more hassle to stock and ship due to size. The only extra money they can hope to get from NES Classic owners is possibly one extra controller. Its existence seems like more of a way to remind people about Nintendo and its franchises than to make big profit. Even if they were to sell 10 million of these, 1 million Switch owners would probably be of more value to them.
Or.....they projected lower sales?

And have not done well in the past to greenlight overzealous production?
Kthulhu said:
That ties into stupidity, which I don't believe. Amazon and GameStop knew it'd sell great. You're telling me they somehow knew but Nintendo didn't?
Again I ask of anyone: what have the most popular plug-and-play consoles done before? I could only find a quote about an Atari one not quite hitting a million worldwide, but all alone that's not very helpful. But if not-quite-a-million was considered a big success, maybe they didn't want to pull an E.T. and go crazy with supply.

PSFan

If people didn't buy from scalpers, scalpers would stop their scummy practices.

The problem isn't just scalpers, it's also our consumerist society of people who can't sit tight and be patient for another retail shipment. People should realize they're not going to die if they don't get a product on release day. It takes two to tango. Stop buying from scalpers, have some backbone for crying out loud.

Yeah, that too. Honestly, I think these things will be everywhere after Christmas because focus will be on the Switch then and no one will care about th NES classic then.

Nintendo fucked up if they intentionally shorted supply. They missed out on Black Friday where they could have sold a ton of them.

Shengar

Sadly Nintendo is hardly global when they ignore almost whole Asia market without any branch to represent themselves.

He makes a valid point though. I really hope Nintendo doesn't fuck up the Switch launch and not allow pre-orders. That would suck major donkey balls.

That's Sterling video theme/aesthetic. As you can see from his video channel name, he do this in ironic way.

That being said, I never like Jim's video and this one is no exception. I always sees him as a video or youtube persona with no interesting thought to be hear thoroughly. He seems only care to make video opinion on the latest hot controversy, never made any video on more "sideline" matters where people should've been put their more attention to. Maybe he's interesting, but ultimately uninteresting to me.

Parapraxis

Had to check the prices on amazon, it's oos of course but some 3rd party sellers have it.

JC9aAjY.png

lol...wow

EDIT: Canada

Vinnk

So let me see if I have this correct.

Nintendo ships more Wii units at launch than any console in history

Source: http://www.gameslave.co.uk/newscomm...=Wii-Launch-Biggest-Console-Launch-In-History

And continues production at full speed for almost a year to catch up with demand.

This is manufactured scarcity?

Nintendo realizing that this was a problem then tried to strengthen it's supply chains for the WiiU expecting it to sell the same gangbusters numbers as the Wii:

Source: http://www.genco.com/Logistics-Articles/article.php?aid=800872916

It did not sell well.

So when amiibos came out on the heels of a massive overproduction of WiiU consoles, what does a smart company do? They release a conservative number of figures putting out more of the characters that have historically proven popular. Seems reasonable.

OK, those sold way better than expected! Better make more when we launch the Animal Crossing ones (since animal crossing is a very popular game).

Again, there is a much bigger risk for overproduction and the conservative number might result in some lost sales but by over shipping relative to demand you risk losing a lot more money and causing retailer dissatisfaction.

I do not feel that Nintendo is "Manufacturing demand"I think they are just very poor at predicting demand. Also they should allow for more preorders of products they are unsure of demand for. They might be incompetent but I don't think they are purposely withholding anything.

Take the Famicom Mini. It sold a quarter of a million in it's first week in Japan. That is a crazy high number! It is hard to keep up with sales like that, or even predict sales that high.

And if we do feel there is malice in what Nintendo is doing I would like to point out that Playstation VR has been sold out for weeks. (http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/10/13/sony-psvr-glasses-sell-out-japan ).

Is Sony also doing this just to screw with the customers? Or did they want to try to prevent the overstocking disasters they had with PSP Go and Vita TV? Or can they simply not make enough quick enough to meet demand?

I don't know. This feels like just another gripe about Nintendo thread..

MUnited83

For you.
Yep.

Vinnk is right. Wii U units with old manufacturing dates stayed on the shelves and in the channel for over a year. There was zero artificial scarcity with the Wii and Wii U.

Parapraxis

The Wii is way more popular than expected.
So popular that six months after the game console's launch, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata is addressing shortages at company financial briefings.

"We are sorry that we were unable to sufficiently forecast this kind of demand," Iwata said in a question-and-answer session posted to the company's site late last week, acknowledging a supply shortage of the Nintendo Wii....
https://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-wii-have-a-supply-problem/

Shoppers across the country have similar stories. With the Wii, Nintendo has created a phenomenon that recalls crazes of Christmases past: Cabbage Patch dolls, Furby, Tickle Me Elmo. But in this case it is happening for a second consecutive holiday season. Nintendo has been unable to keep up with demand, costing it hundreds of millions of dollars in potential sales.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/14/t...nted=1&ref=technology&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Yes, we know that the annual Christmas time Wii shortage is always unintentional on Nintendo's part. They're just constantly shocked, for three straight years, at how popular their console is.

Analyst Michael Pachter told Kotaku a few months ago to expect supply constraints for Wii this season, and speaking to Forbes, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata seems pretty certain himself that's how it'll go down, again:
http://kotaku.com/5028299/iwata-foresees-wii-supply-constraints-for-christmas-again

Dryk

I think he's only talking about Amiibo Festival and Happy Home Designer.
I don't know why people keep pretending like Amiibo Festival was supposed to be a good game. It was a quick piece of junk that the dev team shat out because corporate wouldn't let them sell standalone Amiibo and they even admitted that before release.

Velcro Fly

They did it with amiibo until they completely missed the boat with the Animal Crossing amiibo and that horrid Wii U game. They are doing it with the NES classic right now. Shit it selling out in a matter of minutes. I'm sure people who want one this holiday aren't going to get one. Maybe it is just being inept instead of an artificial shortage. I imagine there will be people that can't get one this holiday and either lose interest or buy something else similar.

luchadork

I can anecdotally say that Nintendo have lost a few hundred dollars sales from me this year. First was when I wanted to get my gf and I pokemon go plus. You could only get them from their Ebay page. And could only buy 1 at a time. And they only had, from memory, around 5000 on sale. They were sold out for months. You couldn't pre order. You couldn't get some sort of notification they were back in stock. You just had to, I guess, maintain your desire to buy their product for months and then randomly check their ebay page. They're back on sale now but tbh my gf and I don't play any more. That ship has sailed.

Then with the NES mini I wanted to buy one for myself and my brother. Nope. All gone. And the more I think about it, its actually not something I'd really use. I've already got most of the games on emulator.

Basically, Nintendo are really good at giving me opportunities to not buy from them. I was going to buy ~$300 worth of shit but now I'm not. It doesn't strike me as good business.

New002

They've done this too many times for it to just be a tricky beast. It's like they straight up don't even bother trying to calculate realistic sales projections. It's beyond ridiculous at this point.

Well said.

Cheerilee

According to your first link, Nintendo knew before the Wii's launch that demand would outpace supply, and it took them a year to catch up with demand, and you're taking them at their word that they did absolutely everything possible to do so. Reggie even encouraged fans to run out and buy Wii, because you gotta get it before that demand hits.

As I mentioned on another page, if you have 1 million units worth of demand, marketing says you should ship 500k units, then watch your customers fight over them, then release another 500k. People who saw the first fight will now want in on this obviously in-demand item, and there will be a second fight over your second batch. That's how you increase your market without lifting a finger. Toy companies (including Nintendo) have known this since the 80's. Riding the edge of demand and having maximum hype while selling as many units as possible is the dream of anyone in marketing.

In your second link, Reggie says "My expectation is that we will do a phenomenal job helping the consumer understand the benefits of Wii U and that our retailers will do a wonderful job of merchandising the product and getting it into consumers' hands. We want to satisfy all of the demand that's out there."

That first part of the line says that Reggie already knows that Wii U has a perception problem. People don't know what it is or why they should want one. That's why he's confident that there won't be shortages. Nintendo knew that the demand wasn't there for Wii U, but Nintendo thought they could force it to sell anyways.

I don't know why people keep pretending like Amiibo Festival was supposed to be a good game. It was a quick piece of junk that the dev team shat out because corporate wouldn't let them sell standalone Amiibo and they even admitted that before release.

that doesn't justify it being a shit game that they wanted actual $$ for.

random25

So let me see if I have this correct.

Nintendo ships more Wii units at launch than any console in history

Source: http://www.gameslave.co.uk/newscomm...=Wii-Launch-Biggest-Console-Launch-In-History

And continues production at full speed for almost a year to catch up with demand.

This is manufactured scarcity?

Nintendo realizing that this was a problem then tried to strengthen it's supply chains for the WiiU expecting it to sell the same gangbusters numbers as the Wii:

Source: http://www.genco.com/Logistics-Articles/article.php?aid=800872916

It did not sell well.

So when amiibos came out on the heels of a massive overproduction of WiiU consoles, what does a smart company do? They release a conservative number of figures putting out more of the characters that have historically proven popular. Seems reasonable.

OK, those sold way better than expected! Better make more when we launch the Animal Crossing ones (since animal crossing is a very popular game).

Again, there is a much bigger risk for overproduction and the conservative number might result in some lost sales but by over shipping relative to demand you risk losing a lot more money and causing retailer dissatisfaction.

I do not feel that Nintendo is "Manufacturing demand"I think they are just very poor at predicting demand. Also they should allow for more preorders of products they are unsure of demand for. They might be incompetent but I don't think they are purposely withholding anything.

Take the Famicom Mini. It sold a quarter of a million in it's first week in Japan. That is a crazy high number! It is hard to keep up with sales like that, or even predict sales that high.

And if we do feel there is malice in what Nintendo is doing I would like to point out that Playstation VR has been sold out for weeks. (http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/10/13/sony-psvr-glasses-sell-out-japan ).

Is Sony also doing this just to screw with the customers? Or did they want to try to prevent the overstocking disasters they had with PSP Go and Vita TV? Or can they simply not make enough quick enough to meet demand?

I don't know. This feels like just another gripe about Nintendo thread..

This sums up what I feel about the issue.

And on the subject of "Manufacturing demand", let's admit that there's really no gain from Nintendo or any other gaming company to intentionally limit the supply. Just because a thing got sold out in a day does not mean the whole world suddenly wants that product and the demand skyrockets, especially something that's not a necessity in life or something that does not affect your social status. The demand that was not satisfied will just either retain their interest simply because they still wanted the product, or have moved on to other stuff because there are other things they can spend their money on that will get the same satisfaction. But a sudden boom in demand because the population learned it's selling out? There's really no proof of it happening for a video game related stuff.

Ehhhh I mean...it sucks that I can't find an NES Classic right now, but I think I'm gonna trust Nintendo on knowing the intricacies of manufacturing and distributing products like this over Jim Sterling.

Nice use of "fuckheaded" though.

They did it with amiibo

There was a amiibo scarcity for a few weeks, but after that and with every new wave you could get any amiibo if you wanted.

Nintendo under estimated Wii, amiibo & NES Mini demand, because of obvious reasons. Wii was an exceptionally console that sold in quantities no one would have estimated. amiibo & NES Mini are "new" things, with a demand almost impossible to estimate. Nintendo got burned at WiiU & 3DS launch when they overestimated demand.

Jim's "outrage" about artificially scarcity is hilarious and very click baitish, and at least leaves doubt about his knowledge of the video gaming industry.

Abhor

Jim was 100% on point this episode. I've been using Nintendo products since I ever started playing video games, but fuck this seemingly deliberate bullshit. There's no way they can be so incompetent in handling supply. Any somewhat modern computer can emulate these oldies easily anyway.

Schnozberry

How long has Nintendo been making consoles?

If anything they probably prefer to be on the under supplied side as opposed to over supplied if the Wii-U was anything to go by.

If that's not the case they are horrible at forecasting demand....what ever, I was ready to buy two on day 1 but reading about the tiny cables I'm not so sure I want one anymore

Nintendo tries to shave demand too close, because they don't own massive warehouses. Their normal procedure is to drop ship directly from the manufacturer to their retail partners. Thus, if they flood retail partners with product that doesn't sell through, they end up paying retailers to hold onto the product, or buy it back and have to purchase warehouse space to hold it, continuously losing money along the way. It's a much better situation for Nintendo to be filling back orders than dealing with overstock. The result is conservative orders and shortages when they order too conservatively.

It's not the most satisfying policy for consumers, and clearly breeds all manner of conspiracy theories, but that's just the way they work. The problem gets even worse if they are waiting on filling back orders because of channel problems like component shortages or over committed manufacturing and assembly facilities.

BBboy20

Is there any conclusive proof that proves once and for all artificial scarcity is real or not because I'm not sure why this debate is still going.

Vinnk

According to your first link, Nintendo knew before the Wii's launch that demand would outpace supply, and it took them a year to catch up with demand, and you're taking them at their word that they did absolutely everything possible to do so. Reggie even encouraged fans to run out and buy Wii, because you gotta get it before that demand hits.

As I mentioned on another page, if you have 1 million units worth of demand, marketing says you should ship 500k units, then watch your customers fight over them, then release another 500k. People who saw the first fight will now want in on this obviously in-demand item, and there will be a second fight over your second batch. That's how you increase your market without lifting a finger. Toy companies (including Nintendo) have known this since the 80's. Riding the edge of demand and having maximum hype while selling as many units as possible is the dream of anyone in marketing.

In your second link, Reggie says "My expectation is that we will do a phenomenal job helping the consumer understand the benefits of Wii U and that our retailers will do a wonderful job of merchandising the product and getting it into consumers' hands. We want to satisfy all of the demand that's out there."

That first part of the line says that Reggie already knows that Wii U has a perception problem. People don't know what it is or why they should want one. That's why he's confident that there won't be shortages. Nintendo knew that the demand wasn't there for Wii U, but Nintendo thought they could force it to sell anyways.

The main point I was making and why I felt the need to include a source is that: Nintendo shipped more Wii units at launch than any console in history No one had ever sold that much. It really was unprecedented demand. Literally.

I suppose they could have delayed the launch of the Wii by 6 months and just churned out as many units as possible and paid the costs to stockpile them. Letting Sony and MS get an bigger head start than they already had (more for MS than Sony). And they would also have to convince retailers to give more shelf space during launch to a product releasing right after the failure of Gameube. I guess they could have done those things..

Unless you are proposing that in a secret warehouse somewhere they DID have millions of Wii's produced and they were withholding them from paying customers so that they could pay storage costs and higher shipping costs (because of sending them out in low volume). For possible future sales (assuming the fad lasted). Nintendo has stated that they did not sell the hardware at a loss but did they make so much profit per unit to give up software sales and a high install base. That would be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

I mean all of these things are possible but I am not convinced the overall benefit would be there.

Sorry Jim, the stream of cursing just came off as awful and juvenile here. They under-produced an emulator box. Given how few, it would be insane to believe it was on purpose.

There were more Wiis available for purchase at that time than any other console in history. They were breaking records for selling units and still purposefully limiting supply?

I would have to agree.

Not only because of the short stock, but because they didn't put much thought in terms of updates beyond the 30 installed NES games in which more games can be added in.

Now I'll have to either buy a regular NES or buy a 3rd party NES/SNES mockup.

While I've been feeling increasingly negative towards Jim's output for a while now, it does bum me out that someone as seemingly intelligent as him is using his platform to spout what essentially amounts to an irrational conspiracy theory

Fox Mulder

I don't like his style either, but he does some good hot topic videos.

I still have my childhood nes and wanted one of these, but just made a RetroPie instead. The casual nostalgia audience this is really for won't give a shit after the holidays.

sfried

Blame Nintendo. Seriously. If there's ample supply, there's no problem.
There probably was ample supply. They probably just didn't expect demand to be so BIG. What with the Switch around the corner and all...
Not only because of the short stock, but because they didn't put much thought in terms of updates beyond the 30 installed NES games in which more games can be added in.

Now I'll have to either buy a regular NES or buy a 3rd party NES/SNES mockup.
Which Famiclone did you have in mind?

how many casual consumers even bought virtual console games? i didn't even have internet access hooked up to my wii for the whole of its lifespan

adidas and nike have been the kings of this shit, create like 1000 pairs of shoes worldwide and watch the hype go nuts.
hype adds value to products, don't think otherwise.

Top Bottom