• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimquisition: Weapon Durability, Fanbase Fragility (Mar. 13th, 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majukun

There's other ways of handling this though; weapons can have variations and levels (and level requirements); they can level with the player and top out, or any combination of those things. I've put thousands of hours into various RPGs and none of them had completely un-repairable weapons, but I always every once in a while found a new weapon to use as my main or side.

Zelda goes the complete opposite direction from what you just stated; finding a 50 damage weapon is nearly useless because you'll be afraid to use it in fear of losing it.
you are describing the skyrim method,and that's a system that has been looked down upon for years,at least here on gaf

also i don't get the fear of using a good weapon..it's not like they are hard to come by..just simply managing your roster of weapons and making the right decisions about when to use the good stuff and when to save it it's enough to be always ready for what the game can throw at you
This is certainly a valid point; it's also quite valid to not enjoy how this was implemented.

I personally prefer being able to use the cool new weapons I find without worry of them breaking; and plenty of RPGs have been able to do this without "making all the other loot pointless."

those other rpgs don't have the same approach that zelda has by

a) giving you all you need in the first couple hours of gameplay
b) left you completely free to go where you want

games like morrowind have the point b (freedom),but actually going where you want and be able to do what you want needed special preparations...also it wasn't a puzzle-oriented adventure like zelda but a more straightforward western rpg, that has not to deal with stuff like being sure that you can actually complete any content no matter when you get to it.

Aikidoka

I agree that the game would be improved immensely improved by rethinking the durability system, as well as shrines and koroks, etc.... BotW has a big problem with being unrewarding. The shrines/koroks are extremely repetitive, and I just completely ignored shrines once I grind up to get the master sword. Instead of needing 4 spirit orbs, you should just need 1 and have each shrine feel unique and not just throwaway, 1-2 minute filler that most of them are. It's even bigger let down, when moments that are genuinely exciting (like fighting a spirit dragon) culminates in just having a freaking shrine unlock with a weapon that'll break in seconds of use. That the story is very weak doesn't help anything either.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
i had to stop the video after what i assume is an endgame spoiler :( why did you do that, Jim? i was on your side about the whole review thing...

Majukun

Nah, he meant elaborate on the conspiracy theory that Jim engineered the backlash, made the reaction videos in advance and riled up the Nintendo fanbase to make money.

That theory. Apparently there's evidence. I want to ask what it is, but I'm pretty sure all I'm going to get are guesses and "but Jim hates Nintendo!".

i never said anything like that though ò_ò

i just commented on the statement that his complaints were "solid"..which IMHO are not...never said that he has an agenda or anything like that, one can be wrong without being dishonest about his opinion after all.

Lingitiz

I agree that the game would be improved immensely improved by rethinking the durability system, as well as shrines and koroks, etc.... BotW has a big problem with being unrewarding. The shrines/koroks are extremely repetitive, and I just completely ignored shrines once I grind up to get the master sword. Instead of needing 4 spirit orbs, you should just need 1 and have each shrine feel unique and not just throwaway, 1-2 minute filler that most of them are. It's even bigger let down, when moments that are genuinely exciting (like fighting a spirit dragon) culminates in just having a freaking shrine unlock with a weapon that'll break in seconds of use. That the story is very weak doesn't help anything either.

I found the shrines and Korok stuff to be fresh and new almost everytime. Considering how many open world games create content based on templates, it was cool to feel like each time i encountered one of these I was being surprised. It didn't necessarily have to give me some dope reward.

This is madness.

Jim bashes Zelda fans and calls them "fanatics" and then makes a video to trash them.

That was beyond childish and unnecessary.

But isn't it a little fanatical on the side of people saying "Great video Jim" and "Way to go Jim" when he's clearly made this video just for spite? Are his "fans" not a bit fanatical as well?

He gives a 7/10 to a game that is clearly a critical darling - that has more perfect scores than any entertainment product in history this far - and precedes said review with negative tweets towards Nintendo and Zelda fans in general, giving the impression that "*wrings hands* Muhahaha! I'll show the Zelda fans something...oh, and Nintendo too...heh, heh *wrings hands*"

This isn't a red-flag to anyone that he might just be doing this to illicit a negative reaction??

Nobody expected him to give BOTW a perfect score - but a 7 solely because he didn't like weapon durability, is beyond harsh. An 8 or 9 based on that criticism is understandable - but a 7? That score makes it seem like it's a decent, but irrevocably flawed game, which BOTW most certainly is not.

Looking at it objectively, no game is perfect, but BOTW is a solid 9.5 if ever there was one.

Look at it from the principle of Occam's Razor. The principle of Occam's Razor suggests that given two explanations, the simpler of the two is usually the correct one. So is it that under Jim Sterling's masterful reviewing skills, that just because he doesn't like tbe way weapon durability is handled he docks the game 3 points...

...or is it that he just gravely dislikes Nintendo and loves trolling Nintendo and Zelda fans and preceded his review by releasing menacing, trolling tweets aimed directly at Nintendo and Zelda fans; then releases a very shockingly-low scoring review for the game and coincidentally makes a video *almost as if he already had most of it done already* the day after said review.

You can make up your own minds based on that.

Incidentally, I loathe Jim Sterling. I find him the opposite of funny. He's illogical, self-absorbed and a tremendous attention seeking individual. He thrives on stirring the pot unnecessarily and feeds on the disdain and discourse he himself creates. He's like a baby in a playpen - take it's pacifier away and the ensuing screaming and whining from the child is basically a Jimquisition video.

BotW is just the latest Zelda, so naturally it's the latest shiny thing that has to be a flawless masterpiece, we get it. It was the same shit as Twilight Princess when it came to the reviews, and I literally tried 4 different times over the years to play that game and fell asleep- actually nodding off catching myself falling asleep- before I could even get past the first village part.

jviggy43

his opinion against weapon durability seems to ignore everything that would go wrong in the game,or need to be adjusted or omitted if the system wasn't like it is,or wasn't in the game at all.

it's a gamne where you can go wherever you want from the beginning,that means that if you don't follow the main path that the game gives you at the start,you are gonna find some good weapon pretty early into the game, and then instead of being unsatisfied because that good loot is not gonna last long, you will be unsatisfied because a big percentage of all the loot is now useless because it's worst of the one good weapon you've found.

that without counting that the game gives you plenty of ways to approach an hostile encounter without having to use your resources (in this case weapons)..from sneaking to ewxploding barrels,to infinite bombs to setaling weapons,to all the other interactions you can have in this game.

that's the first thing i remember from his review..but i remember disagreeing with quite a lot of things he said and not finding his reasoning sound at all.

of course by all means he is entitled to his opinion.
And I also think thats a legitimate reason for the weapon durability, however I would say that also doesn't undermine his critique. In a game that tells you to do anything or go anywhere, the point of weapon durability, even as you put it, ends up defining what it is you are going to end up using in the game. I also think by any relative standards, the durability here is laughbly weaker than most games with the durability mechanic. Now mind you I didn't care at all about this in BoTW, but I can see how someone else does. I also found that finding weapons in chests was absolutely a lesser of a reward compared to rupees considering either inventory was full, or I knew it was a very short term weapon.

I guess just because the system was designed to be conducive to the openess of the world, doesn't alleviate the fact that the mechanic itself can be bothersome to someone like Jim. While Nintendo obviously made adjustments to the system to help with that (overabundance everywhere for example), the mechanic in and of itself can still break up game play.

Luckily this was not something that hindered my experience but I don't by any means think that Jim is unfair when he brings this point up.

You had me at unprofessional.

If I don't like something, I say it - I don't drone on and on about it for several minutes, spewing hyperbole and "jokes" that are only funny if you can try to remimagine them as an "actual" joke.

His shtick is tiresome and like "Angry Joe" - if he's on a rant about a game that you know he doesn't like - do you really expect him to be decent about it and give the game a high score?

"Angry Joe" and the "Angry Video Game Nerd" before him - their shtick is when reviewing a bad game that they obviously don't like, they're going to tear into it. Jim Sterling does the same thing with just about everything. His favorite topic as of late has been himself, which I never found to be particularly interesting even in the slightest initially; so now his videos [which have always been near-unwatchable and unbelievably annoying and self-serving] are irrelevant.

To think that Jim Sterling would review this game highly was a pipe dream. I knew his review was going to be a problem.

Anyway, we should all go play BOTW :)

You didn't address his criticisms tho.

aBarreras

I found the shrines and Korok stuff to be fresh and new almost everytime. Considering how many open world games create content based on templates, it was cool to feel like each time i encountered one of these I was being surprised. It didn't necessarily have to give me some dope reward.

i love that everytime i think, that place looks suspicious, there is something to do there, being, a korok seed, a shrine, or something else

The thing is, almost all of those weapons you're saving become extremely common later on, then items a tier lower will show up with bonuses making them nearly on par with those rarer weapons, then the top tier weapons will start always having bonuses making them always outclass the standard ones.

That's kind of the thing in this game: once you realize that actually using those powerful weapons on strong enemies, instead of constantly saving them or purposefully avoiding combat, results in getting more and better weapons. If you just keep holding onto them, then that Flame Greatsword or Royal Broadsword is going to become obsolete or redundant before you decide you've discovered the perfect moment to use it.

That's actually my problem, I'm not avoiding combat, but the huge amount of good weapons dropped or found makes my life a living hell of management and pondering what should I keep or not.

Either the durability system sucks, or the lack of weapon slots, or the lack of special difficult monsters and combat situation, but there clearly is an issue with the flow of the game and battles at some point.

I'm open minded and want to keep enjoying this gem at its fullest, good advice and arguments in favor of this system could help me.

Lanrutcon

i never said anything like that though ò_ò

i just commented on the statement that his complaints were "solid"..which IMHO are not...never said that he has an agenda or anything like that, one can be wrong without being dishonest about his opinion after all.

Was talking about the post you responded to. Not going to go quote his post, and the post he was replying to, and the post that was replying to for context :p there's already enough crazy in here.

It's ok. Your post was fine. Ignore me.

Aikidoka

The Koroks are all copy-pasta though. Like there's only 4-5 variations on them - that's really the opposite of fresh, imo. There are many interesting puzzles in shrines, but by and large it takes more effort/time to mashing the skip button during the intro/end sequence than it does to complete the shrine itself. If you just cut the shrine number by a quarter but put 4x the thought into them, then you'd still have the fun puzzles without being a tedious grind.

Zafir

I mean, sure, the game will still work but... I don't think it'd be as elegant as it is in it's current form without heavily reconstructing the world as BoTW is designed. Even though they're an obstacle to overcome I feel like I appreciate so much more of the situations and contexts which allow me to utilize and gain more of them - which isn't to say they would work in every game ever. I generally don't prefer durability at all but can see why it had to be a compromise in this game. Dark Souls' way of handling it works for that game (even though that also hosts an example of a game where I do agree with Jim and find weapon degradation detrimental) while I think Breath of the Wild's way of handling it works for itself.

It's interesting to think about it I feel because it kind of evokes something of a deliberately disadvantageous piece of game design that almost feels like it's necessary to keep the overall playing field consistent. I've sort of speculated about this in another topic and how the Blue Shell from Mario Kart almost feels like it occupies a similar niche. It is an incredibly frustrating element to the game once you're in first place and is often one of the most detested items in the series, but at the same time it's an element that kind of elegantly balances the entire item meta to players who are caught up so far behind that it's hard to imagine the game without it. Impeding design elements for the benefit of the whole are probably more of an element in multiplayer games but the weapon degradation makes me think of situations that'd be comparable in single player games.
I see your point but I'm not sure I entirely agree(I also don't like the blue shell, go figure!), but as I said in my previous post, I'm perfectly fine with some people liking it and thinking it works. I think it's very much a kind of love it or hate it system.

I genuinely wish I did really, I don't enjoy not liking things. I imagine Jim doesn't either, or Jeff Gerstmann, or any others who don't seem to enjoy the durability system in BotW.

Majukun

strange,actually i thik this is one of the most rewarding zelda game ever..everything has one or more purposes and you don't throw away anything, contrary to other zeldas where some kind of resources were way oo common,being rupees or certain ammunitions.

you need to fight so you want a good roster of weapons,so you tackle shirnes and explore to get good stuff, at the same time there's no reason to search for new stuff if you can't carry them with you,so you are constantly searching for korok seeds to improve your inventory.
cooking is a great way to stay alive against really powerful enemies,so you also look for other materials,but you can't gather everything by yourself because the game is massive,so you use rupees in shops to get the ingredients and materials you are lacking.
also,rupees,materials and exploration all are needed to get good gear and upgrade it,which is needed to both tacle hard fights and survive hostile weather...or do both at the same time.

the only way you can break the system ,at least from what i have heard since i didn't do it, it's abuse some of the minigames to get insane amounts of rupees, which then makes everything way easier since it's a chain of causes and reaction.

aBarreras

the only way you can break the system ,at least from what i have heard since i didn't do it, it's abuse some of the minigames to get insane amounts of rupees, which then makes everything way easier since it's a chain of causes and reaction.

WHAT MINIGAMES?

You didn't address his criticisms tho.

The way he presents the issue is addressing enough.

I feel like he took one element he disliked about the game and then let it destroy everything else. His review reads like someone that had a preconceived notion about the score before actually playing it.

His videos lately are all over the place - but are mainly about him. The Nintendo piracy one was especially cringe-worthy and I would like to see what he would say if Nintendo came at him legally over some of the content of that video.

Majukun

And I also think thats a legitimate reason for the weapon durability, however I would say that also doesn't undermine his critique. In a game that tells you to do anything or go anywhere, the point of weapon durability, even as you put it, ends up defining what it is you are going to end up using in the game. I also think by any relative standards, the durability here is laughbly weaker than most games with the durability mechanic. Now mind you I didn't care at all about this in BoTW, but I can see how someone else does. I also found that finding weapons in chests was absolutely a lesser of a reward compared to rupees considering either inventory was full, or I knew it was a very short term weapon.

I guess just because the system was designed to be conducive to the openess of the world, doesn't alleviate the fact that the mechanic itself can be bothersome to someone like Jim. While Nintendo obviously made adjustments to the system to help with that (overabundance everywhere for example), the mechanic in and of itself can still break up game play.

Luckily this was not something that hindered my experience but I don't by any means think that Jim is unfair when he brings this point up.

yeah,but the point is,the moment you are making a constructive critic you can't ignore the consequences of the changings you are suggesting.
he doesn't like weapon durability?fine,then explain how they could have mantained the rest of the game in its entirety,with the same spirit,the same freedom,the same mechanics without it.

that's,imho,what distinguish a sound argument from a not so solid one,whenever you have alternatives,or you are just saying "this suck and i don't like it"... it's a fair statement,but it isn't a solid argument.

thefil

The Koroks are all copy-pasta though. Like there's only 4-5 variations on them - that's really the opposite of fresh, imo. There are many interesting puzzles in shrines, but by and large it takes more effort/time to mashing the skip button during the intro/end sequence than it does to complete the shrine itself. If you just cut the shrine number by a quarter but put 4x the thought into them, then you'd still have the fun puzzles without being a tedious grind.

I've found more like 10 different kinds of Koroks, but your point isn't unfair. The interesting part is more noticing them in the environment then solving the "puzzle" of them each time, but I admit they aren't a unique experience anymore.

One the other hand, I'm surprised you find the shrines so unsatisfying. I've really liked them, even the trivially easy ones are satisfying to solve in the way a "puzzle" in an Uncharted or something is. The harder ones are great, and best of all are some of the optional chests that take some thought to figure out.

This game reminds me a lot of the Witness sometimes, albiet much easier. A mix of systemsy and
observation
puzzles, with each of the former having some theme or idea behind it.

Jim's a genius. If he offered ppl to lick his balls, half of the ppl from this thread would go line up in front of him right now just for bringing Zelda's Metacritic down to 97....lol.

I don't give the slightest fuck about Zelda's metacritic OR his review of basically anything? (I find reading reviews super boring).

I'd rather just use 10$ a month to spite man babies because it makes me smile.

riotous

Banned
you are describing the skyrim method,and that's a system that has been looked down upon for years,at least here on gaf

I'm describing far more than Skyrim; and why would I care that supposedly Gaf looks down upon this? Skyrim is also popular on Gaf..but there's loads of other RPG's out there with different systems.

a) giving you all you need in the first couple hours of gameplay

b) left you completely free to go where you want

Lots of RPGs are similar in this too; Skyrim for instance you can go anywhere and start various quest lines. Then play the game again and get totally different dialog or events depending on the order you play.

And Skyrim enables this with its leveling system, which you dismissed.

In fact Skyrim has far more of a "go anywhere" feel. Right from the very beginning without completing a single "area" you can go to the other side of the world and start any random quest.

That's actually my problem, I'm not avoiding combat, but the huge amount of good weapons dropped or found makes my life a living hell of management and pondering what should I keep or not.

Either the durability system sucks, or the lack of weapon slots, or the lack of special difficult monsters and combat situation, but there clearly is an issue with the flow of the game and battles at some point.

I'm open minded and want to keep enjoying this gem at its fullest, good advice and arguments in favor of this system could help me.

Not really the kind of conversation that should have to be had if the game is so amazing that a 7/10 review should reasonably incite an outcry of indignation.

edit: not directed at you, just an observation

While I do like the game and the freedom it offers, Jim does have a few good points. The weapons break far too easily, a little more durability on weapons would be very welcome, it certainly can restrict some of the freedom a little bit.

Been playing since launch day on Switch (well a few days before with the Wii U leak) and while I do really like it a lot, it's starting to drag just a little now, as the Shrines and towers are starting to become a little tedious. I would have preferred less Shrines and maybe a few more traditional dungeons if I'm honest and the story is not exactly doing anything new.

It's definitely not my favourite Zelda game. I still prefer A Link to the Past, OoT, Links Awakening, Oracle of Seasons / Ages, Minish Cap and Wind Waker a little more.

heard about some

snow bowling in the mountains

that gives a really good amount of rupees for little effort,and people farm the shit out of it...i didn't even find it,and even if i do,i don't know if i would farm it.

That's the one. 300 rupees every 15 seconds once you get good at it.

Majukun

I'm describing far more than Skyrim; and why would I care that supposedly Gaf looks down upon this? Skyrim is also popular on Gaf..but there's loads of other RPG's out there with different systems.

Lots of RPGs are similar in this too; Skyrim for instance you can go anywhere and start various quest lines. Then play the game again and get totally different dialog or events depending on the order you play.

And Skyrim enables this with its leveling system, which you dismissed.

skyrim doesn't give you all your instruments in the first couple hours.
also skyrim isn't puzzle based,so whenever you are ready for a said content or not it's dictated only by how tough the enemies there are or if you have a said object or completed a certain quest..and the first part doesn't even apply since enemies scale to your level so you are always on par.

nothing of this applies to zelda..the only real restriction here is stamina

aBarreras

+ mountain climbing Goron training
+ glider-shooting with Rito
+ Goron golfing
+ foot racing
+ horse racing
+ seal racing

I'm sure I'm forgetting some or haven't found some.

ooh, i have found some of those, hahaha totally forgot that they are mini games since
well, some of them give you access to shrines

thefil

ooh, i have found some of those, hahaha totally forgot that they are mini games since
well, some of them give you access to shrines

Yeah, a lot of people seem to forget them when they ask for things like "minigames that give heart container pieces". BotW basically has the equivalent when you get a shrine from one of these.

Not blaming you, the minigames are just kind of less memorable because they are so embedded in the world instead of at explicit shops.

In the DLC they should add weapon shops where you can buy swords. That would alleviate some of the dismay people are experiencing with the durability sytem.

riotous

Banned
skyrim doesn't give you all your instruments in the first couple hours.

Conceptually it does; weapons, magic, shouts, lock picking, pick pocketing, etc etc, You are veering from the argument either way; you don't need weapons to fall apart in a few uses to avoid "getting a 50 damage weapon early on and never caring about other loot."

This isn't some big problem that other RPGs have, including incredibly open ones like Skyrim where you can go anywhere and at least "start" any quest line right from the beginning.

Obviously it's not a puzzle game; but it is an RPG. I'm comparing an RPG element which has nothing to do with puzzles. (Loot)

mlclmtckr

Banned
So many people here (who I can only assume haven't played the game) going on about how you have to dive into the menu every few seconds or how weapons break after three trash mobs or whatever. That's just completely wrong to the point of being ridiculous.

Y'all watched a selectively edited hyperbolic rant and went all armchair game designer on it. Weapons don't break anything like that fast.

Also holy shit a dexterity system. What the fuck.

riotous

Banned
So many people here (who I can only assume haven't played the game) going on about how you have to dive into the menu every few seconds or how weapons break after three trash mobs or whatever. That's just completely wrong to the point of being ridiculous.

Y'all watched a selectively edited hyperbolic rant and went all armchair game designer on it. Weapons don't break anything like that fast.

Also holy shit a dexterity system. What the fuck.

I own and have played the game a lot. You are the only person denying that weapons fall apart quickly.

Blobbers

smh.gif

Is that true? Lol

That's would validate my theory ;)

Nah, Jim's just a huge fan of musou games. He also gave Dragon Quest Heroes a 9/10. Deservedly so.

jviggy43

The way he presents the issue is addressing enough.

I feel like he took one element he disliked about the game and then let it destroy everything else. His review reads like someone that had a preconceived notion about the score before actually playing it.

His videos lately are all over the place - but are mainly about him. The Nintendo piracy one was especially cringe-worthy and I would like to see what he would say if Nintendo came at him legally over some of the content of that video.
I'm not sure I even understand what element you are referring to here (I assume weapon durability?). His style is one thing but the argument made against weapon durability is totally legitimate regardless of how he presents it. For you and myself we don't seem to mind as much as he does but to say it isn't valid is silly.
yeah,but the point is,the moment you are making a constructive critic you can't ignore the consequences of the changings you are suggesting.
he doesn't like weapon durability?fine,then explain how they could have mantained the rest of the game in its entirety,with the same spirit,the same freedom,the same mechanics without it.

that's,imho,what distinguish a sound argument from a not so solid one,whenever you have alternatives,or you are just saying "this suck and i don't like it"... it's a fair statement,but it isn't a solid argument.

I disagree. Just because he didn't put forth a better mechanic, doesn't invalidate his critique that it isn't a fun mechanic in the first place, even if implemented for practical reasons. And I think thats a perfectly solid argument, as I personally (in most games) do not enjoy item management or weapon durability. He shouldn't have to address the mechanic in order to criticize it from an enjoyment perspective.

Neolombax

Watched the video...he didn't go full on savage on the zelda "fanatics" per se. But I somewhat agree with his points though. I hate weapon degradation systems in games. If that causes a reviewer to lose enjoyment in a game, then I think its justified why he gave the game a 7/10. 7 isn't a bad score though. It is, in the end, his opinion that he is entitled to.

Its more amazing to me that there are people who put so much weight on what others think about the game, rather than just enjoying the game. Games have always been a personal affair to me at least. I enjoyed the heck out of say Alpha Protocol, and that game got low/mediocre scores if I remember correctly. Opinions didn't affect my enjoyment of the game, why should I care what people think. It matters that I got my money's worth.

BoTW looks like an amazing game, I wish I had a Switch to play this. No reviewer can change my mind about this.

I own and have played the game a lot. You are the only person denying that weapons fall apart quickly.

The weapons do fall apart quickly, but I do think all of the "you can only use high end weapons for like 2 hits and 10 seconds before they explode" posts are grossly exaggerating.

En-ou

You're in the minority.

The weapon system is sublime. I have close to 100 korok seeds and about 40 shrines and neither are boring. The shrines are different puzzles. The korok seeds are about exploration not the actual action you do once you find them. You may be missing the point here or the gameplay isn't fun for you. But surely it's not repetitive nor unrewarding. And who gives a shit about story in a Nintendo game. We come for the Nintendo magic gameplay.

Game of the gen quality here.

Jawmuncher

I have to agree with what he has said about the weapon durability. I haven't beaten it yet. But do to the structure, I indeed find it easier to just run from fights than to bother because of it. Why waste time on a bokoblin camp and maybe use all my weapons and have to resort to clubs and the like, than just hold onto good weapons for when I really need it?
It really does remind me a lot of the elixir example he made.

It hasn't ruined the game or anything, but I sure ain't gonna miss it if it doesn't come back for the next zelda.

A.J.

Banned
I mean alot of the korok seeds are just "lift a random rock" or "shoot some balloons". And a good chunk of shrines are just the same robot miniboss with a minor weapon variation. Not exactly fresh Everytime.

Teletraan1

Banned
the problem is not if you don't like the mechanic
the problem is when people can't recongnize what would happen if it wasn't in the game.

i mean jim says that it doesn't feel satisfying to get a good weapon because it has limited uses, but what would happen if you make by chance a trip into an advanced proof of strenght and exit the shrines with a 60 damage guardian weapon?
from that moment on basically 90% of the weapons of the game are garbage to you..how is that satisfying?

and that's just one of the several things that would fell apart if you get rid of that mechanic.

Who the hell is just asking for a wholesale removal of the system with no changes or tweaks to what is left? People would like some tweaks and changes not to be left with a broken game. I for one really dislike weapon degradation and hope that it is changed in future games and replaced with a more satisfying setup that is workable within the framework of the game. They could have locked real weapons behind one of the few dungeons in the game to ausage the fear that you can just grab weapons of whatever/whenever. Not really complicated.

I'm not sure I even understand what element you are referring to here (I assume weapon durability?). His style is one thing but the argument made against weapon durability is totally legitimate regardless of how he presents it. For you and myself we don't seem to mind as much as he does but to say it isn't valid is silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCMDG51cf5w

Honestly, this video perfectly explains how I feel about the weapon durability in Breath of The Wild.

If Nintendo had designed weapon durability into the combat system, such as:

-Weapons take 1.5x damage if hitting a shield
-Weapons take 0.5x damage when in slow-mo-mode
-Weapons take 0x damage with some super special risk/reward timing

I would have invested far more care and deliberation into each encounter, instead of just mashing Y.

Cipherr

The circle of internet trolling. Trolls gonna troll, dudes react to trolls, trolls troll, dudes feed trolls, trolls troll, over and over again.

Not saying Jim is wrong, but he doesn't help the situation.

I was kind of hoping he would skip the opportunity so I could call the people who swore he would do this wrong.

Kinda furrowed my brow when I read the OP. Oh well.

My problem with the review is not the score, but the fact he brought in other reviews. That's just unprofessional imo especially as a journalist. Bringing up other reviews is not a good way in presenting himself.

Plus also the fact he was trying to stir shit before his review if you look at his twitter posts. I can see why some may like him, but to me his shtick is really corny and its been getting worse lately to be honest.

The circle of internet trolling. Trolls gonna troll, dudes react to trolls, trolls troll, dudes feed trolls, trolls troll, over and over again.

Not saying Jim is wrong, but he doesn't help the situation.

The general attitude that Jim is this by the books straight arrow personality and that all the ferocity directed at him time and time again is through no fault of his own seems pretty dishonest. His actions show he kind of likes this controversy and attention.

En-ou

Sorry but he is not. Once you get tier 3 and above the weapons are fine. You have to be playing like a scrub to have your weapons falling apart quickly. And I'm confident the ppl complaining still about this are indeed not skilled or don't have the game at all and talking shit. Otherwise go now and record a session with a new lynel sword or similar weapon and fight 4-5 groups of goblins and show us how quickly it breaks.

En-ou

If Nintendo had designed weapon durability into the combat system, such as:

-Weapons take 1.5x damage if hitting a shield
-Weapons take 0.5x damage when in slow-mo-mode
-Weapons take 0x damage with some super special risk/reward timing

I would have invested far more care and deliberation into each encounter, instead of just mashing Y.
Pretty sure that's exactly how it works lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom