• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JJ Abrams officially set to direct Star Trek 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

It feels like they wrapped really fast. Did they do any location shooting whatsoever?

You can assume pretty fairly that most of the production was soundstage (Enterprise and other interiors) and greenscreen (most everything else) work. Probably no actual location shooting.

WillyFive

Star Trek II was a great movie. It was thoughtful and moving -- everything Star Trek should be. It doesn't need to be rehashed with screen flare and extra battle scenes.

Actually, Star Trek 2 is in need of a remake, the original has aged dramatically; so much that even it's story is no longer very effective (and very cheesy for today's standards).

However, I didn't want Khan because I want something different. It feels like a waste of a new universe just to reuse Khan.

WillyFive

No, the lens flare is one of the many great things Abrams did to give Star Trek a unique feel that made it stand out. It's a very fresh and unique visual style that makes it very stimulating to watch, makes even a random shot very exciting and more realistic. It keeps the visuals from becoming sterile, which is a problem previous Star Trek shows and movies have had.

Ithil

Actually, Star Trek 2 is in need of a remake, the original has aged dramatically; so much that even it's story is no longer very effective (and very cheesy for today's standards).

However, I didn't want Khan because I want something different. It feels like a waste of a new universe just to reuse Khan.

I saw Star Trek 2 forthe very first time only a couple of months ago, and thought it an excellent, entertaining film that hasn't aged a bit.

Cheebo

Banned
Why do people keep thinking this is a semi remake of trek 2? That was about Khans revenge. Khan has nothing to get revenge for in this. If anything this will be a remake of Space Seed.

Daft_Cat

Why do people keep thinking this is a semi remake of trek 2? That was about Khans revenge. Khan has nothing to get revenge for in this. If anything this will be a remake of Space Seed.

I think it's just the fear that, after the promise of the original, this is just going to devolve into the "Khan" trilogy, for no other reason other than that he's popular, and Orci and Kurtzman aren't skilled enough to come up with something new.

I haven't really picked a side yet. If Cumberlatch really is Khan, then Abrams must have something tricky up his sleeve. He may end up actually being an inspired choice. He seems so far out of left field, that he must have an incredible approach and vision for the character.

I find it quite interesting how because the studio doesn't know what the fuck to do with the franchise, they've pretty much left it all in the hands of the guys that made the 2009 film. Normally, given today's studio practices, a successful franchise film that groups together a decent charismatic cast, isn't allowed to sit for a few years doing nothing. I wish more studios thought themselves clueless enough to give some time to the talent involved instead of rushing out a sequel every other year.

MC Safety

Yeah, I think you're completely wrong on this one.

Nothing about the story has aged because its themes are timeless. It's about revenge and the notion of growing old and facing death head-on.

I would, however, like to know in what way this film is cheesy for today's standards.

MisterHero

Yeah, I think you're completely wrong on this one.

Nothing about the story has aged because its themes are timeless. It's about revenge and the notion of growing old and facing death head-on.

I would, however, like to know in what way this film is cheesy for today's standards.
Khan is even a great sci-fi film, with the Genesis device. There are good movies set in the Star Trek universe that use its rules but don't really play to dramatic science fiction themes.

Time travel itself wouldn't make it a science fiction story, but realizing that someone that people care about has to die for history to be restored would be a good sci-fi story.

First one I remember was at the end of February.

That wasn't even three months ago. Abrams is either really efficient, or there's a tonne of vfx-only shots.

Most of the movie is filmed indoors, unlike TDKR and such which is full of outdoors shots with tons of extras and people taking pictures in very public places. Any location shoots for Trek would be done in mostly remote locations if any.

Busty

Banned
Just hope the script doesn't suck this time...,

We have Orci, Kurtzman and Lindeloff trying to 'do a Dark Knight' with this Star Trek sequel so it's all but guaranteed given their previous/recent output.

And after Super 8 I have zero confidence in Abrams' ability to identify problems with a script.

..., and less lens flare.

I have to admit I actually really liked this about the film even if this 'innovation' was simply lifted from Fringe.

And in a classic Abrams move once he stole it for his Trek movies Fringe stopped using it. Priorities and all that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I find it quite interesting how because the studio doesn't know what the fuck to do with the franchise, they've pretty much left it all in the hands of the guys that made the 2009 film. Normally, given today's studio practices, a successful franchise film that groups together a decent charismatic cast, isn't allowed to sit for a few years doing nothing. I wish more studios thought themselves clueless enough to give some time to the talent involved instead of rushing out a sequel every other year.

I thought the first movie is usually a little disconnected from follow-ups. The studio doesn't know when it goes into it whether it'll be successful or not. So it takes a while to start the machinery up again. I'd expect Star Trek 3 to be out closer to 2 now that they know how successful the first one was.

Serious question. Was the first a good Star Trek movie? I enjoyed it but I'm not a Trekkie in the slightest, but as an action movie I thought it was pretty good.

I believe that Star Trek at its best is about high concepts and should not be just an action movie. So on that criteria...I don't know if the Abrams movie measures up. It's fun, but there's nothing in it that I would credit as a high concept.

EDIT: All right, that's fair. I edited the post to make sure it's noted that this is my opinion and not just one I'm posting from somebody else.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Serious question. Was the first a good Star Trek movie? I enjoyed it but I'm not a Trekkie in the slightest, but as an action movie I thought it was pretty good.

I am a big star trek fan. It was a miserable failure as a star trek movie. The people that made it don't know anything about star trek. I won't go into detail, but seeing a Nokia logo was like a kick to the stomach for a star trek fan.

It was an ok action movie, I enjoyed it in that respect.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Gary Mitchell was already killed in Issue 2 of the comic. I'm sure they're just ignoring the comic right now, but Gary Mitchell already did his thing. it would be weird to say "Well, the comic never happened, fuck that shit, even though we've totally been collaborating with IDW to make it happen!"

Btw, anyone who doesn't like the frenetic pace of the movie, but has any interest in the new Trek universe paced like an old Trek episode, please do check out the IDW comic. It's awesome. (and as I said, Gary Mitchell is in Issue 2, and it's handled really well)

I am a big star trek fan. It was a miserable failure as a star trek movie. The people that made it don't know anything about star trek. I won't go into detail, but seeing a Nokia logo was like a kick to the stomach for a star trek fan.

It was an ok action movie, I enjoyed it in that respect.

It wasn't even an ok action movie. It was a modern action movie which meant characters CG fighting.

Also you forgot the Budwieiser somehow survives 300 years in the future.

I'm just glad they probably won't get their talentless mitts on TNG. God knows how badly they'd mangle those characters and that's saying alot after Berman & Braga managed to do in just 4 movies.

Gary Mitchell sounds a LOT like the Dark Phoenix Saga from the X-Men. Teammate gets super powers, goes crazy, have to take him out on a deserted planet, everybody has a sad.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Gary Mitchell sounds a LOT like the Dark Phoenix Saga from the X-Men. Teammate gets super powers, goes crazy, have to take him out on a deserted planet, everybody has a sad.

Except that Gary Mitchell happened first.

Gary Mitchell was already killed in Issue 2 of the comic. I'm sure they're just ignoring the comic right now, but Gary Mitchell already did his thing. it would be weird to say "Well, the comic never happened, fuck that shit, even though we've totally been collaborating with IDW to make it happen!"

Btw, anyone who doesn't like the frenetic pace of the movie, but has any interest in the new Trek universe paced like an old Trek episode, please do check out the IDW comic. It's awesome. (and as I said, Gary Mitchell is in Issue 2, and it's handled really well)

The comic doesn't count. Simple as that. This goes for those people who think the Doctor Who/Star trek event is canon as well.

FoneBone

The comic doesn't count. Simple as that. This goes for those people who think the Doctor Who/Star trek event is canon as well.

Of course it's not really in continuity, but you'd think Paramount/Abrams et al would've nixed using Gary Mitchell if they were actually planning on that for the movie.

thetrin

Well, it's kinda not the same, but I agree.

I would love to see Gary Mitchell in the second movie, but so far, I'm liking the comic more than the movie. It has that Trek pacing I love, but with the sheen of the new continuity.

Of course it's not really in continuity, but you'd think Paramount/Abrams et al would've nixed using Gary Mitchell if they were actually planning on that for the movie.

Yeah, that's kind of my point. There was no reason to kill off Gary in issue 2. They could have had him as a side character that appears several times, and lead into the movie. SYNERGY

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I'm a huge Trek fan. Although I liked Star Trek 2009 a lot, it is a different kind of movie than all of Star Trek before it. In comparison to all of Star Trek, then no, it is not a good Trek movie. But it is a good movie on it's own merits.

The Star Trek I grew up with, the Trek I love dearly, is dead. Paramount wants a more modern version to appeal to the short attention span crowd. Less intellectual, more action packed. That's okay, things change. Although it leaves me longing for something to come along and fill the gap of what true Star Trek had to offer. I just want a good intellectual space sci fi TV series to exist again. Maybe someday.

For a good example of what a good Trek movie is, watch either ST2: The Wrath of Khan, or ST8: First Contact.

Won

They probably just don't care.

Or they got the idea from the comic in the first place.

No. It had some decent ideas I think that would have made it a good Star Trek movie, but nobody cares about that anymore.

thetrin

It's a fun action movie, but if you are asking if it does a good job of representing Trek, then no. It's actually a really dumb Trek movie. It's not bad or inconsistent, but it lacks the careful pacing of Trek. A good example is this: watch Wrath of Khan, and see how they handle the Kobayashi Maru, and then go back and watch the new Star Trek. I feel like the new movie missed the point of what the Kobayashi Maru represented.

In the new movie, it's a device to show that Kirk is a cowboy. In Wrath of Khan, it's a metaphor for Kirk's inability to compromise on the idea of a no-win situation, something he has to face in the movie. It represents an aspect of Kirk that runs throughout the show itself.

It's really not Star Trek. It's "SPACE ADVENTURE THE MOVIE". That's not a bad thing, but it's not really the Star Trek that fans have grown to love.

I'm a huge Trek fan. Although I liked Star Trek 2009 a lot, it is a different kind of movie than all of Star Trek before it. In comparison to all of Star Trek, then no, it is not a good Trek movie. But it is a good movie on it's own merits.

The Star Trek I grew up with, the Trek I love dearly, is dead. Paramount wants a more modern version to appeal to the short attention span crowd. Less intellectual, more action packed. That's okay, things change. Although it leaves me longing for something to come along and fill the gap of what true Star Trek had to offer. I just want a good intellectual space sci fi TV series to exist again. Maybe someday.

For a good example of what a good Trek movie is, watch either ST2: The Wrath of Khan, or ST8: First Contact.

This is why you should check out the comic. I think it captures the pacing of old school Trek really well.

thetrin

What? First Contact is fucking awful. That's the worst example of a good Trek movie.

First Contact is "Let's break the prime directive" the movie.

legacyzero

Banned
I can't wait for this. I LOVED the latest one, and I'm not even a treky.

Is Giachino attached to this one again? I hope so!

bengraven

Seriously, no Mitchell, no Khan. Wait until the fourth and fifth movies when Abrams goes away and suddenly they're putting McG or Ratner on these films.

this...

It's like the Call of Duty of Star Trek movies :(

I really hope some day people will develop longer attention spans / intellect etc so that we may have proper Trek again, though i know it's not gonna happen obviously ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom