• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JJ Abrams officially set to direct Star Trek 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Khan
is fine if it's a completely new story and take on the character. I don't really care much about
the eugenics wars stuff in Trek
, however..

MisterHero

I think theyre going to go a completely different direction than what fans are expecting. New universe and all that. If they just follow the same plot lines then there really isn't any point to have this alternate timeline.

And thank you. How's life in the future?
It's the same universe up to the SS Kelvin event. The SS Botany Bay was launched into space well before even the Enterprise series

Still, the timeframe ST XII with Khan, if it is him, will take place much earlier than either Space Seed or Wrath of Khan

The movie should start off with Original Spock telling the new Spock to avoid or destroy Khan by all means necessary, and when they try to, it all goes to hell

Pollux

It's the same universe up to the SS Kelvin event. The SS Botany Bay was launched into space well before even the Enterprise series

Still, the timeframe ST XII with Khan, if it is him, will take place much earlier than either Space Seed or Wrath of Khan

The movie should start off with Original Spock telling the new Spock to avoid or destroy Khan by all means necessary, and when they try to, it all goes to hell
Ah, ok. I don't know much about the backstory or all that so thanks for clarifying.

Tookay

I think theyre going to go a completely different direction than what fans are expecting. New universe and all that. If they just follow the same plot lines then there really isn't any point to have this alternate timeline.

Could see the Enterprise deliberately trying to avoid Khan, but then the Klingons pick him up instead, and he takes over their ship to start a war or something.

I just thought that Orci and Kurtzman wrote a shit script in ST09, barely saved by the actors and direction.

And thank you. How's life in the future?

Hope you like asteroids...

Pollux

Could see the Enterprise deliberately trying to avoid Khan, but then the Klingons pick him up instead, and he takes over their ship to start a war or something.

I just thought that Orci and Kurtzman wrote a shit script in ST09, barely saved by the actors and direction.
fair enough.

Hope you like asteroids...
Jolly good. Sounds delightful. Do you still miss Lala as much as I do? This is amazing, I know how Dennis Quaid felt in Frequency now.

Putting Khan in Star Trek II seems a bit too literal for me... but that aside, I'm looking forward to it.

Since the events in Abrams' Star Trek universe started "early" compared to TOS, I imagine Kirk will not have met Khan yet.

Zzoram

If it is Khan, whitewash much? Indian man played by a ridiculously white British guy? At least the original Khan had a Hispanic actor that sorta pulled off looking Indian.

It would've been really great if they actually hired an Indian actor to play an Indian character.

If it is Khan, whitewash much? Indian man played by a ridiculously white British guy? At least the original Khan had a Hispanic actor that sorta pulled off looking Indian.

It would've been really great if they actually hired an Indian actor to play an Indian character.

...and here we go.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Also if it is Khan, then Spock Prime should really warn them about that whole business.

Eh, but think about Khan's motivation. In Space Seed, he wanted control, but ultimately was OK with the idea of being given his own world to populate. Spock can warn them about Khan, but honestly, Khan was a minimal threat when they first met him.

Star Trek II, Khan had a justifiable anger at being left on a world that was nearly destroyed, and there was never a followup by Kirk or Starfleet to see how they were managing. He lost both his wife, and many of his people.

I think that's the biggest problem is that Star Trek II was Kirk Vs. Khan. And that rivalry is how people remember the character. There will be no personal history between these characters.

It's a legitimate point. There are good Indian Hollywood actors around, why cast a British guy in an Indian role with an Indian name?

Because he wasn't played by an Indian guy to begin with?

Also, similar facial structure.

Zdr6S.jpg

MnZEN.jpg

(Hair? Completely different.)

Karak

I think that's the biggest problem is that Star Trek II was Kirk Vs. Khan. And that rivalry is how people remember the character. There will be no personal history between these characters.
Correct.
I was hoping that if they redid Khan that Kirk and Khan would actually be shipmates and/or star trek academy rivals and develop Khan as someone in Kirks shadow with a slow burn as a villain in a later movie. Or better yet someone who actually continued to school Kirk due to his very critical thinking skills and then Kirk has to continue to think outside the box to kill him once they actually face off. Perhaps something that Kirk would do in Star Trek 2 would harm Khan in some way. So that Kirks brashness had a very real consequence and gives Khan a very real motivation for revenge.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I was hoping that if they redid Khan that Kirk and Khan would actually be shipmates and/or star trek academy rivals and develop Khan as someone in Kirks shadow with a slow burn as a villain in a later movie. Or better yet someone who actually continued to school Kirk due to his very critical thinking skills and then Kirk has to continue to think outside the box to kill him once they actually face off.

Ugh, that would be terrible. The idea of someone close to Kirk betraying him is alright, but why would you write that person to be Khan?

antonz

Khan as a person already existed well before the time fuckery so it would make no sense to rewrite him as some friend of Jims or something.

Karak

Ugh, that would be terrible. The idea of someone close to Kirk betraying him is alright, but why would you write that person to be Khan?

Why would you not? There isn't a right or wrong answer there is simply the talent of the writers to make a genuine villain.

Khan as a person already existed well before the time fuckery so it would make no sense to rewrite him as some friend of Jims or something.
Yep correct. Those were my musings before the 1st one came out and we knew the timelines and universe data.
Now you just have somewhat of the same setup as the OS which I am not as behind. Basically a badguy who has no history with Kirk. But again we will see if the writers knock it out of the park. Its doable. Just stretchy.

teiresias

Ugh, I'm so not interested in Khan. Every freaking Star Trek movie it's basically the producers saying "best villain since Khan" so now they basically just give up and ACTUALLY go back to Khan. There's so much more interesting stuff to do in this universe (even in the action-oriented Abrams version) that going back to this well again just seems unnecessary, lazy, and boring.

I'm also somewhat amazed at all the people claiming to know Khan will be a certain way based on where the timeline/canon splits in the first film. I have no faith that anyone involved with this film gives a crap about pre-TOS history and how none of it should actually be changed by the events of the first Abrams film.

Zzoram

IMO the way this should go is that the Klingons find Khan, he kicks their ass and steals a ship, the particular Klingon House that lost the ship to Khan covers up the embarrassment in the Empire but takes action to retaliate against Earth on their own, and Khan and Kirk have to team up to stop the Klingon threat. However, Kirk gets all the credit and Khan leaves bitter so he can come back in the next movie as the villain.

I hope it's Khan.

There's only a few villains I like in the Star Trek franchise, Kahn, the Borg, Dukat, Weyoun, Chang and Lore but not many considering how big the franchise is.

Of course it could be great if they make a new, memorable villain. I just doubt it.

Solo

So....the first movie came out 3 years ago tomorrow, and the sequel is one year and 10 days away. Almost there, relatively speaking!

If they could do more of a discovery and "going boldly where no one has gone before" and still make it as exciting as the first one then I would love it.

This is what I want exactly but Orci and Kurtzman have basically said they will never do a thoughtful Trek movie. It's absolutely possible to make a movie that has an intelligent message and still packs loads of action, but these two writers are not the guys to do it.

It's unfortunate, but it's not a surprise.

Dead

well not really...yet
This is what I want exactly but Orci and Kurtzman have basically said they will never do a thoughtful Trek movie. It's absolutely possible to make a movie that has an intelligent message and still packs loads of action, but these two writers are not the guys to do it.

I think it's less an issue of won't, but can't, lol.

MC Safety

Darn it, why do people want Khan in this movie?

Because they are likely as devoid of ideas as the scriptwriters.

Star Trek II was a great movie. It was thoughtful and moving -- everything Star Trek should be. It doesn't need to be rehashed with screen flare and extra battle scenes.

relaxor

what?
Ugh. The Khan thing is so lame, I hold hopes for them out of a fondness for the first movie. And the expectation that the second movie is usually pretty good. But yeah

Tookay

Because they are likely as devoid of ideas as the scriptwriters.

Star Trek II was a great movie. It was thoughtful and moving -- everything Star Trek should be. It doesn't need to be rehashed with screen flare and extra battle scenes.

Amen. This endless race to find the next Khan or actually revisit Khan is the cinematic equivalent of chasing your tail.

WOK was a great movie because it had a great villain, yes, but also because it had characters we cared about actually at risk, a message about increasingly irrelevant heroes confronting fear, embracing life, and accepting death, and a certain amount of maturity about how it presented these things.

Everything that Orci and Kurtzman wouldn't attempt in a million years.

Replicant

Man, this film has the tightest security ever. I have no idea whatsoever about the plot or what went on during the filming and now it's over? Sure, a useless photo or two leaked but in comparison to leaks from other film, ST2 leaks are non-event.

According to Wikipedia:

Orci and Kurtzman explained the dilemma for the sequel was whether to pit the crew against another villain, or to have an "exploration sci-fi plot where the unknown and nature itself is somehow an adversary"

Where have they said they would never do a thoughtful or exploration type plot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom