• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JJ Abrams officially set to direct Star Trek 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

apana

Batman Begins didn't gross that much either but was considered a success.

Yeah I think probably for the same reason, state of the franchise. That's why I'm expecting more for this sequel. It would be nice if Star Trek gains a huge audience and they all demand new high budget Star Trek shows!

Qwomo

Yeah I think probably for the same reason, state of the franchise. That's why I'm expecting more for this sequel. It would be nice if Star Trek gains a huge audience and they all demand new high budget Star Trek shows!

The audience for these movies and the audience for a real Star Trek tv show have very little overlap.

I want Klingons, dammit. Where are the Klingons, JJ?

wasnt there a deleted scene on the Home release of the last movie where the bad guy was a Klingon prisoner or something.

If I remember they had steel helmets with ridges on them.

a quick google brings up this image
mloUq.jpg

I guess since they where cut from the movie there design in any future movies is subject to change but I guess I can get behind the idea of the Klingon's wearing helmets to cover up the lack of ridges if they REALLY wanted to keep the canon nuts happy.

Qwomo

What's the deal with Cumberbatch just being a normal ass dude.

I figured they were going to throw a ton of make-up on him, he's already super weird looking to begin with.

JdFoX187

Banned

I think Abrams said as long as he's running the Trek movie franchise, there won't be any TV shows. It's a shame considering that there is a serious lack of quality science-fiction on television right now after Battlestar Galactica and Stargate both went off the air. Even Enterprise's initial ratings show there is potential for a popular Trek series. They just need to have a good crew and quality episodes. I'd love for them to separate the timelines and have one that continued after Romulus was destroyed. There's some interesting stuff there.

Zzoram

What's the deal with Cumberbatch just being a normal ass dude.

I figured they were going to throw a ton of make-up on him, he's already super weird looking to begin with.

The villain looking human, wearing a Starfleet shirt, and being stronger than Spock suggests Khan.

:(

Khan only works if you have an adequate build up. I was hoping they would introduce Khan as an anti-hero for Star Trek 2013, saving the Federation from some Klingon plot. At the end have something happen between him and Kirk to set up their conflict in Star Trek 2015. That way Khan gets an appropriate build up.

Zzoram

I think Abrams said as long as he's running the Trek movie franchise, there won't be any TV shows. It's a shame considering that there is a serious lack of quality science-fiction on television right now after Battlestar Galactica and Stargate both went off the air. Even Enterprise's initial ratings show there is potential for a popular Trek series. They just need to have a good crew and quality episodes. I'd love for them to separate the timelines and have one that continued after Romulus was destroyed. There's some interesting stuff there.

Star Trek Online continues the timeline from when Romulus is destroyed. The way it does isn't bad either, even if it seems reminiscent of the DS9 story arc.

nomis

It it happens to be the case, this will be the first time that native IMAX film has been scanned, downsampled, re-aspected, and rotoscoped for use with digital 3D projectors.

Occam's Razor tells me that Abrams may have just convinced Paramount to drop the post-converted 3D plan altogether.

Instead of having 3 versions of the film...

Native IMAX projectors- 2.39:1 35mm film footage interspersed with 1.43:1 70mm footage (a la Dark Knight, Mission Impossible 4)

2K and 4K digital 3D projectors, "LieMAX"- 2.39:1 35mm film footage scanned to digital, perhaps cropped to 1.85:1 for better 3D viewing, rotoscoped for 3D conversion (a la Clash of the Titans, Captain America)

All 2D film projectors in older auditoriums- 2.39:1 35mm film footage displayed in it's original scope aspect ratio, 70mm filmed sections cropped to be seamless with the 35mm footage

...they may just decide to cut out the middle one and do it exactly like Ghost Protocol.

EDIT:

I have used my powers of internet deduction to agree with those saying that Benedict Cumberbatch will be playing Gary Mitchell. http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Gary_Mitchell

640px-Kirk_fires_a_phaser_rifle_at_Mitchell.jpg

There was an "inside source" back at the end of 2010 that tried to dissuade rumors that Khan was the villain, saying that:

“It’s definitely a character that will make fans of TOS excited. Think along the lines of Harry Mudd or Trelane or Gary Mitchell or the Talosians or the Horta. Actually it’s one of those that I named.”

Why not continue the reboot of these characters by telling this timeline's version of TOS 1x01? The movie starts out with Mitchell assigned as helmsman of the Enterprise, and first big event of the film is the mission to the galactic barrier. Perhaps there are flashbacks to the years of Kirk's time in the academy with Mitchell that we didn't see. He then gains all of his strange abilities, and the plot can go whichever way it wants with them.

WillyFive

Gary Mitchell is a cool choice for a villain. Benedict would do great with that character.

It was a really interesting episode of TOS. Maybe the movie will partly remake the episode, this time with a better ending than the cop-out of the original episode.

Just read on wiki that Star Trek only grossed 385 million. That is certainly a very good number but I was expecting more considering how everyone was talking about it being a big box office success. I suppose the commercial failure of earlier Star Trek endeavors and the state of the franchise kind of contributed to that more than any deficiencies in the film. I'm definitely expecting something on the order of 600-700 million for the sequel. I guess part of the reason I am surprised is that this Star Trek film is even more upbeat and mainstream than most of the Star Wars films.
It was a big box office success compared to other Star Trek films.

MisterHero

They're already using Gary Mitchell in the line of Star Trek comics based on the movie.

I imagine the comics will be STXI versions of TOS episodes. Except a bit slower, as the episodes are broken into arcs that take months to tell. :p

Tobor

How does a regular guy getting magic powers make sense for a Star Trek movie?

Have you not seen the episode? It could easily be expanded into a 2 hour movie, and it fills the need for a villain the mainstream audience can root against.

Gary Mitchell is classic Trek, how does it not make sense?

Zzoram

Have you not seen the episode? It could easily be expanded into a 2 hour movie, and it fills the need for a villain the mainstream audience can root against.

I haven't watched TOS in like 10+ years. I'm planning to rewatch it this summer though.

MisterHero

My guess from that list is probably the Talosians.

Admiral Pike will probably avoid his original fate. It could have more to do with The Cage rather than The Menagerie and be completely different, however.

No Khan please. If they could do more of a discovery and "going boldly where no one has gone before" and still make it as exciting as the first one then I would love it.

apana

I don't want to spoil anything but they are going to melt Benedict Cumberbatch's face and inside will be a borg drone. It's the big plot twist.

nomis

They are adapting TOS S01E01? Nice.

Just speculation at this point.

Yes.

I can't find the quote, but I think there was an interview with Kurtzman or Orci at least a year ago when they said they were trying to "Dark Knight" this film tonally and story-wise, with a villain that was more cerebral (not just vengeful angry guy) and more like "the crew of the enterprise against forces of nature" or something to that effect. I say Mitchell fits the bill on that front, too.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Oh shit, Benedict Cumberbatch is in the next Star Trek movie? So awesome. I love him in Sherlock, and in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

I'm intrigued!

Have you guys ever read the prequel comic for ST09?

Countdown? It's pretty good, imo. Does a good job of tying the end of the TNG movies to the reboot.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I wouldn't mind Gary Mitchell. I'm just really hoping it's not Khan (or even the augments in general, a some speculation out there indicates maybe Khan died, and this is another one of the augments).

Khan just seemed really really lazy.

MC Safety

To boldly go where Star Trek has gone before, in 1966 no less.

Cheebo

Banned
I absolutely hate that retcon. The aliens in the first season finale of TNG were supposed to be the Borg. Due to budget issues, they were changed to the cyborgs. And now everything gets retconned like he knew about them all along.
Really? I always thought that them retconning V'Ger to be connected to the Borg really helped give some significance to the first movie. I am glad Roddenberry decided that would be the case, he made that retcon in a interview promoting the "Q Who?" episode of TNG when the Borg got introduced.

JdFoX187

Banned
Really? I always thought that them retconning V'Ger to be connected to the Borg really helped give some significance to the first movie. I am glad Roddenberry decided that would be the case, he made that retcon in a interview promoting the "Q Who?" episode of TNG when the Borg got introduced.

I guess it works better in the overall fiction. And before I really delved much into the behind-the-scenes Trek lore, I thought the same thing that V'Ger was assimilated. But once I read the alien insects from the first season were supposed to be the Borg, it was a little disappointing. In the end, it all worked out since the Borg, pre-Voyager shit, were awesome enemies.

Dunlop

Absolutely loved the first, that said I have no interest in the sequel.

The new take on the origins story is what I liked, them actually travelling around on the enterprise as the offical crew just seems less appealing

Absolutely loved the first, that said I have no interest in the sequel.

The new take on the origins story is what I liked, them actually travelling around on the enterprise as the offical crew just seems less appealing

I'm not really interested in the sequel either but the inclusion of Benedict Cumberbatch makes this a must watch for me.

Dude will steal it.

bengraven

After having an alien villain from the first movie, I'm okay with a rogue Starfleet officer in the second one. I don't want every movie to be an "alien villain of the week" kind of thing like Doctor Who.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
After having an alien villain from the first movie, I'm okay with a rogue Starfleet officer in the second one. I don't want every movie to be an "alien villain of the week" kind of thing like Doctor Who.
...shit, now I want for the main villains to be the Daleks

antonz

got the setup for the 3rd movie already figured out and how to get maximum hype for 3.

Gary Mitchell stuff resolved and Enterprise going back on course.

Spock: Captain, Long Range Sensors are detecting a ship adrift.
Kirk: What is it Spock?
Spock: Captain sensors show its an old Earth ship designation USS Botany Bay.

:Cut to Black:

Credits

Have 3 be a retelling of Space Seed.

apana

I'm glad I watched most of the Kirk era episodes during marathons when I was much younger, I must have seen the episodes but have no recollection of them.

got the setup for the 3rd movie already figured out and how to get maximum hype for 3.

Gary Mitchell stuff resolved and Enterprise going back on course.

Spock: Captain, Long Range Sensors are detecting a ship adrift.
Kirk: What is it Spock?
Spock: Captain sensors show its an old Earth ship designation USS Botany Bay.

Credits

Have 3 be a retelling of Space Seed.

... and I have the set up for the 4th movie.

*end of third movie*

Kirk: Khhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!

*spocks body ejected from torpedo tube, lands on Genesis planet*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom