• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JJ Abrams officially set to direct Star Trek 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevieP

Banned
I guess I just want to see a big pew pew battle with a Hollywood budget and a human villain can't deliver that since he's not going to have some kinda bandit fleet.

The Klingons could offer some pew pew.

Pew Pew focus was how next gen movies like Nemesis faltered.

Zzoram

Pew Pew focus was how next gen movies like Nemesis faltered.

It can be pew pew but not have the villain make no sense.

Nemesis was bad because the villain was a Romulan-made clone of Picard that somehow took over the Romulan empire. Why the fuck would the Romulans follow a human?

StevieP

Banned
it will be hard to top the motion picture.

AniHawk being AniHawk

It can be pew pew but not have the villain make no sense.

Nemesis was bad because the villain was a Romulan-made clone of Picard that somehow took over the Romulan empire. Why the fuck would the Romulans follow a human?

I remember watching the driving sequence and the multiple hallway shootouts and thinking... "Dear lord this is so poor". Sure, the rest of the movie was ballsack but focusing on pew pew is not what makes Trek great.

I don't keep up with Hollywood anymore so I was very relieved to find out that Benedict Cumberbatch was the name of the actor playing the villain and not the name of the villain himself.

That would be the most awesome name for a villain ever. Say it out loud!

I don't keep up with Hollywood anymore so I was very relieved to find out that Benedict Cumberbatch was the name of the actor playing the villain and not the name of the villain himself.

I have yet to check out Sherlock, but he is great in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

The article with the new pic says this:

From MTV, we can see the returning Spock, Zachary Quinto, giving Cumberbatch his Vulcan Death Grip on what is described as “a Space Barge set.” The duo battle it out and it is reported that Cumberbatch “is able to overpower the grip and regain the upper hand in his struggle against the Star Fleet officer.”

Which
definitely leads me to believe this is Khan. Who else would be able to overpower a Vulcan nerve pinch? (Vulcans don't have a "death grip" /trekkie)

The fact that they were going for Benicio Del Toro is pretty telling that it's probably Khan.

That kind of annoys me. Khan is supposed to be from India. I know that Montalban played him the series, but it was the 1960's and accurate ethnic casting didn't happen very often. But today, there's no reason to cast a Latino man to play an Indian character just because the first actor who played the role was Mexican. It's just silly.

God, another Star Trek with another villain that they'll blow up at the end. Where were the "villains" in classic episodes like "City on the Edge of Forever" or "The Inner Light"? Nowhere, I tell ya!

[/OMYAC]

God, another Star Trek with another villain that they'll blow up at the end. Where were the "villains" in classic episodes like "City on the Edge of Forever" or "The Inner Light"? Nowhere, I tell ya!

[/OMYAC]

Orci and Kurtzman simply aren't capable of writing something like "City on the Edge of Forever".

[/OMYAC]

You have to understand that audiences don't want campy 60s star trek they want Star Trek to be more like 70s/80s Star WARS. Which is what J.J. is delivering.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely fucking love the first film. Can't wait for the sequel.

Zzoram

The article with the new pic says this:

Which
definitely leads me to believe this is Khan. Who else would be able to overpower a Vulcan nerve pinch? (Vulcans don't have a "death grip" /trekkie)

That kind of annoys me. Khan is supposed to be from India. I know that Montalban played him the series, but it was the 1960's and accurate ethnic casting didn't happen very often. But today, there's no reason to cast a Latino man to play an Indian character just because the first actor who played the role was Mexican. It's just silly.

It's Hollywood. Doesn't matter what color the character is supposed to be, on the big screen the color of choice is white.

Tucah

you speak so well
I love the first JJ Trek and I'm in for the sequel no matter what but I really really hope that the villain isn't Khan.

shira

Spock is supposed to be half Vulcan. Are you pissed he's fully human. Just be glad he's not CG.

Tookay

You have to understand that audiences don't want campy 60s star trek they want Star Trek to be more like 70s/80s Star WARS. Which is what J.J. is delivering.

What JJ delivered was a load of crap. I'll never get the love for ST 09.

The beginning - which everybody applauded - was maudlin.
The actors substituted "acting" for "poor impersonations" (Karl Urban was especially guilty of this).
Kirk had no development (jackass in the beginning, jackass in the end).
The villain and his plan sucked and made no sense.
There were contrivances on top of contrivances, an Orci and Kurtzman trademark (Old Spock being in the same cave that Kirk waltzed into on a barren ice planet, which coincidentally was where Scotty was stationed).
And it had Giacchino's worst score (the goddamn main motif repeats dozens of times).

EDIT: Oh and lens flare.

The actors substituted "acting" for "poor impersonations" (Karl Urban was especially guilty of this).
There were contrivances on top of contrivances (Old Spock being in the same cave that Kirk waltzed into on a barren ice planet, which coincidentally was where Scotty was stationed).
And it had Giacchino's worst score (the goddamn main motif repeats dozens of times).

Giacchino's worst score? get serious

Cheebo

Banned

[/OMYAC]

Notice you bring up episodes of the show, not the movies. Most of the films in the franchise was Kirk/Picard vs. *Insert Typical Evil Movie Villian*

Tookay

Notice you bring up episodes of the show, not the movies. Most of the films in the franchise was Kirk/Picard vs. *Insert Typical Evil Movie Villian*

A lot of people complain about Action Movie Picard too, so I don't know what your point is.

Cheebo

Banned
A lot of people complain about Action Movie Picard too, so I don't know what your point is.

A Trek movie that was like The Inner Light would be a gigantic bomb at the boxoffice. For better or for worse blockbuster movie attendence is dominated by teenage males. That demographic generally want action and excitement in their big blockbusters. You don't have that, you don't have a successful summer blockbuster. It's part of the game.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
A Trek movie that was like The Inner Light would be a gigantic bomb at the boxoffice. For better or for worse blockbuster movie attendence is dominated by teenage males. That demographic generally want action and excitement in their big blockbusters. You don't have that, you don't have a successful summer blockbuster. It's part of the game.

Probably be a lot cheaper to make though.

Tookay

I agree with that, or at least understand the reasoning. That said, I understand the people who want it to stand for something other than a being just another blockbuster. The last several ST films haven't been about anything. It's basically become Star Wars... and as much as I love SW, I'd like to keep the two separate.

Jokergrin

PeterWeller.jpg

I'm ready.

Oh, I agree that the movies have been on this downhill trend for a while, always trying to recapture the success of The Wrath of Khan. It's gotten too formulaic for me, and they've gotten too far from the spirit of the series. I'm not suggesting they should make an Inner-Light-type movie, but it would be nice to see them do something inventive again like The Voyage Home...but I know this is a new series that's finding its legs, and they're not going to deviate from the formula.

I agree with that, or at least understand the reasoning. That said, I understand the people who want it to stand for something other than a being just another blockbuster. The last several ST films haven't been about anything. It's basically become Star Wars... and as much as I love SW, I'd like to keep the two separate.

"This is not your father's Star Trek."

The movie wanted nothing more than to make Star Trek cool and fun with mass appeal. It succeeded. I for one enjoyed the hell out of it. That said, I wish they'd add a bit more of an "exploration" element to the story. Then again, the first was an origin story, so it's understandable that such a thing was absent.

"This is not your father's Star Trek."

The movie wanted nothing more than to make Star Trek cool and fun with mass appeal. It succeeded. I for one enjoyed the hell out of it. That said, I wish they'd add a bit more of an "exploration" element to the story. Then again, the first was an origin story, so it's understandable that such a thing was absent.

+1 as a ST fan, I did enjoy the direction on the reboot. a clone may have been boring. who knows.

There were contrivances on top of contrivances, an Orci and Kurtzman trademark (Old Spock being in the same cave that Kirk waltzed into on a barren ice planet, which coincidentally was where Scotty was stationed).

You are a bad man.

+1 as a ST fan, I did enjoy the direction on the reboot. a clone may have been boring. who knows.

I thought it was an entertaining reboot and one of the more entertaining ST films. Nothing will beat ST2 or ST6 but this is close.

Only annoying thing was amateur plot aka "Hey let's find a way to reboot the series while tying it in with the original cast somehow and add massive lens flare."

The worst was:

Spock being very un-Vulcan like in sending Kirk away to a barren planet which is pretty much an execution ? Yeah right

MC Safety

There's a happy medium to be had. Star Trek II had lots of space battles and shooting AND also had a lot in the way of ideas and character development.

You can give people what they want without sacrificing what Star Trek is all about.

Also, Star Trek was odious for putting forth the idea that you can become captain of a starship by picking a fight with the current captain.

Just to chime in, I thought Abrams' Star Trek was one of the best blockbusters of that year. I loved the technical aspects, amazing sound design and just a great sense of fun packed into. I hope he can repeat the magic.

Cheebo

Banned
There's a happy medium to be had. Star Trek II had lots of space battles and shooting AND also had a lot in the way of ideas and character development.

You can give people what they want without sacrificing what Star Trek is all about.

As much as I love Khan I don't think it (obviously with modern effects and all that) would have made the gigantic boxoffice results that Trek '09 did in todays movie marketplace. A sci-fi movie whose major theme is about accepting entering your middle age.

WillyFive

Star Trek 2009 was one of the best Star Trek works ever. The perfect chemistry, the exciting story, the fantastic score, brilliant visual design (the lens flare was one of the best additions to the series, it got the point across of it being a bright future and helping it to look more realistic, as well as giving it a unique visual style that separates it from other sci-fi works), excellent directing, and it managed to immerse you in the world of Star Trek without boring you at any point in the story. As someone said earlier, it was pure movie magic, something that I haven't seen in years.

I understand how the older Star Trek fans were alienated at the sudden reinvention of the property, but it was simply better in every way. The sequel has a lot to live up to.

Hilbert

Star Trek 2009 was one of the best Star Trek works ever. The perfect chemistry, the exciting story, the fantastic score, brilliant visual design (the lens flare was one of the best additions to the series, it got the point across of it being a bright future and helping it to look more realistic, as well as giving it a unique visual style that separates it from other sci-fi works), excellent directing, and it managed to immerse you in the world of Star Trek without boring you at any point in the story. As someone said earlier, it was pure movie magic, something that I haven't seen in years.

I understand how the older Star Trek fans were alienated at the sudden reinvention of the property, but it was simply better in every way. The sequel has a lot to live up to.

Every way? Come on, you have to admit that isn't true. From a story and character and universe point of view it was absolutely terrible. in comparison to the old TV shows anyway.

Rokam

Just to chime in, I thought Abrams' Star Trek was one of the best blockbusters of that year. I loved the technical aspects, amazing sound design and just a great sense of fun packed into. I hope he can repeat the magic.

This times a million. If you listen to the commentary they applaud their sound design team quite a bit. Especially with the 2 cuts to silence, the one at the beginning and the destruction of Vulcan.

WillyFive

Every way? Come on, you have to admit that isn't true. From a story and character and universe point of view it was absolutely terrible. in comparison to the old TV shows anyway.

It was better especially compared to the Star Trek: The Original Series. Besides, the characters weren't that different (other than with all the yelling, :p).

MC Safety

As much as I love Khan I don't think it (obviously with modern effects and all that) would have made the gigantic boxoffice results that Trek '09 did in todays movie marketplace. A sci-fi movie whose major theme is about accepting entering your middle age.

I'm not talking about remaking Star Trek II. I'm talking about making Star Trek relevant for idiots who just want to see stuff blown up while still keeping traditional elements like a cohesive plot, interesting character elements, and intriguing ideas. It's not impossible, but it will require more effort than making the dumb Star Trek did.

I tried to watch the supposedly praised Star Trek II and it was so laughably bad. If the TV shows are like it in anyway, I want no part of that shit. It's Abrams version all the way.

Daft_Cat

Kirk=sent there because it was the closest system with an alliance outpost at the point of his outburst.

Spock= sent there because of its vicinity to Vulcan.

Coincidence? Not really, because they both had reasons for being present at the destruction of Vulcan. Both ended up in that cave because both were making their way to the same outpost.

Scotty being there? Destiny.

WillyFive

I think that is what shitted me the most, even more than the stupid 'lol Spock's in a cave' rubbish.

Why wouldn't he be in a cave? You want him to be out in the open with the monsters?

He can't even go to the federation outpost, he's from another time, he has no business there until Kirk got him into it.

Scotty being there? Destiny.

I think he was there just to have the complete team together for the movie while also giving him time to shine.

Hilbert

It was better especially compared to the Star Trek: The Original Series. Besides, the characters weren't that different (other than with all the yelling, :p).

Alright alright, you may have a point with the original series. Next gen is my star trek sweet spot.

WillyFive

Alright alright, you may have a point with the original series. Next gen is my star trek sweet spot.

I've been watching TNG on Netflix. It's too different from ST2009 to compare it properly, the characters and situations are dramatically different from those of the Kirk crew.

I'd like to see what Abrams does with TNG if he ever had the chance, but that might not be until the far future, if ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom