• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode IX, Chris Terrio co-writing, now due Dec 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
kX8lFNN.gif
They're at a rave getting high on midichlorians

Boem

Star Wars threads are my favorite threads. Every time I pop in one of them some truly weird shit is going down.

Right now it's the prequels' Japanese game show aesthetic vs. JJ's fog machines(???).

You may need to calibrate your tv if you think there's a layer of fog over those movies.

Aaaay a TFA rewatch is in order.

It is time!

You guys can't ignore the fact that both Luke and Anakin got their butt kicked several times.

I don't think that the Rey character is bad or something like that, it's just that her "power awakening" scenes maybe felt a bit abrupt and rushed.

I don't know why people are being so aggressive and balligerent about this.

Did you even watch TFA? Seriously?

People probably seem belligerent* to you because you're either being purposefully ignorant or you barely paid attention at all during TFA.

Your fog machine complaints make zero sense.

I know it's silly to just single out certain frames and stuff but my fog machine complaint stand I tell you, it stands.

By fog machine I mean, any kind of gaseous effect that appears on screen.

So for example

Look at this, drink however many times you see a gaseous effect on screen. Their lasers now shoot projectiles that turn into gas on impact.

He's a fogger! Fogged on impact. Get fogged son! lol that storm trooper on the hill, he got his foggs knocked off

-griffy-

Banned
People sure like to say the prequels were full of originality. Completely original, unimaginable things like Tattooine. Aquarium planet. Frog people. Robots. Water planet. City planet. Diner. Lava planet. Factory. Opera. Bug people. And a wholly unique and not-at-all-derivative-or-poorly-told story on top of it.

Whereas TFA just didn't bring anything new at all. Nope. Nothing. Absolutely zero creativity or originality evident anywhere in the film.

Guy.brush

tumblr_nvpqv5kaGm1r83egao3_540.gif

Believe it or not, this gif comes from a live-action film, and not a PlayStation 1 RPG with pre-rendered backgrounds.

I love how it looks like the sun is hovering right above the roof of the temple. There is like 3 different directions of lightshafts in this image.
Prequels really could have needed 5 more years of waiting for CG to arrive at PBRendering and HD workflows to mature. Coruscant with all its sterile, carpet corridors...blerg.
AOTC was partially shot with HDCAM footage on tape as they were still bound to a massive cliprecorder setup "WATCH THE CAMERA! WATCH THE CAMERA!" with cable galore connected to a rack of hard discs. When they did action that required to disconnect the camera from the clip recorder, they switched to HDCAM which was compressed 1080p tape. And when Lucas decided to zoom into the compressed 1080p material and then certain shots would shift from day to night time, you can bet compositors at ILM started sweating.
That is one of the main reasons AOTC looks like it does. 2001 was too early for full digital HD workflow with photoreal CG.

Boem

I know it's silly to just single out certain frames and stuff but my fog machine complaint stand I tell you, it stands.

So for example

Look at this, drink however many times you see a gaseous effect on screen. Their lasers now shoot projectiles that turn into gas on impact.

He's a fogger! Fogged on impact. Get fogged son! lol that storm trooper on the hill, he got his foggs knocked off

...it's a battle zone. An entire temple was just destroyed. There's debris all over.

It's not as sterile as the hospitals of the prequels, since they're actually trying to sell these locations as real this time. That was the charm of the OT, a dirty and used world. George forgot about that when he made the PT.

I think most people prefer JJ's fog machine, if that's what you call it.

-griffy-

Banned

So for example

You really complaining that visual effects have progressed to the point that they can accurately render elemental effects like dust and smoke, thereby making the weapon impacts feel more weighty and real? The fuck even is this complaint. Oh no! Now when a red hot laser bolt violently hits a storm trooper, pieces of their armor splinter off and sparks and smoke erupt, thereby selling the effect as an actual physical thing that is happening on screen! It's too much!

Stiler

The structure does not mirror A New Hope. TFA has elements lifted from the entire previous trilogy.

Some beats are intentional parallels to ANH - droid in the desert finds someone who is pulled into a broader conflict. But that's very surface level stuff, and if you're unwilling to look beyond the surface and talk about what the movies are actually doing, and who the characters are, then you're not going to see eye to eye with anyone who is. Which is basically everyone on the other side of this argument.

Rey is very different from Luke, goes on a totally different journey, and has a different arc. (Starting with, Luke is chomping at the bit to get off Tatooine, while Rey is actively resisting leaving Jakku). There is no ANH analogue to Finn or Poe, and no analogue in the originall trilogy to the path Finn follows.

Pesky Toaster puts it better than I could:

You are looking at the obvious, intentional surface level parallels that TFA uses, and totally missing the point of the film and how it re-contextualized the parallels, and how it pivots in different directions from them.

Again, you're trying to say that because the smaller details are different that that somehow means it's not a mirror.

The entire structure of the movies are the same, the characters? Not the same, small details surrounding some events? Not the same, I never said they were, just the overall framework, the "big picture" of the main plot points are built directly from ANH.

If you strip out everything that exists in ANH that's also in TFA Rey would never have left Jakku or met Finn, the republic would have no mission without the deathstar I mean Starkiller base, Han wouldn't have died, you get the point.

The entire movie would have to be rewritten because it's main structure was ANH through and through. The small details wouldn't amount to a movie because there'd be nothing to tie them together.

Eh, if you took away every thing in ANH that is also in TFA, then you would still have original stories for Rey, Finn, Poe, and Kylo Ren. That matters far more than some plots or images being similar.

None of those would work if you took away the things from ANH in TFA, they rely and are built upon the framework of ANH's story.

So for example

Are you drunk or trolling?

Have you ever seen an actual battlefield? There is dust/smoke everyfuckingwhere.

Again, you're trying to say that because the smaller details are different that that somehow means it's not a mirror.

The entire structure of the movies are the same, the characters? Not the same, small details surrounding some events? Not the same, I never said they were, just the overall framework, the "big picture" of the main plot points are built directly from ANH.

If you strip out everything that exists in ANH that's also in TFA Rey would never have left Jakku or met Finn, the republic would have no mission without the deathstar I mean Starkiller base, Han wouldn't have died, you get the point.

The entire movie would have to be rewritten because it's main structure was ANH through and through. The small details wouldn't amount to a movie because there'd be nothing to tie them together.

Oh my fucking God.

It never ends, does it?

TFA was a composite of ALL THREE FILMS. It was not a scene-to-scene copy of ANH. Not even close.

Guy.brush

The shadows...dear god the shadows.

It is not just that, the lightshafts are coming from all over the place and that shot also suffers from pasted-in extras that were filmed at a different angle. Lucas loved to take elements of a shot and then make it a lot wider than the original elements were captured at.

To be fair, the prequels vfx supervisors were Dennis Muren, John Knoll and Roger Guyett. All people that are masters of their craft. John Knoll is still the main man behind ROGUE ONE for example.
It is clear that the prequels tried too much for the time they were made in in my opinion. 5 more years of waiting and they would have looked a hell of a lot better.
Not sure how much DOP David Tattersall is to blame for some of the prequels static nature. I guess Lucas liked his talking and walking shots and got himself a man that did what he wanted.

JCHandsom

Fog machines, heh. Fucking FOG.

And I thought the Lens Flare comments were dumb.

I'd say we've crossed a threshold or something, but this barrel has no bottom.

Cheebo

Banned
Herr is trolling dudes. It's obvious. Even the most rabid prequel fans out there are fairly critical of the dull cinematography.

Boem

Is it getting in the way of the action? This is what I meant by over polluted.

Its background fog, fog on.

Hey look, its the fog monster. He bust the some of the pipes, so of course there's some fogg going. Durr

Impact fog, here's a mild contrivance why there's fog.

The guys a fogger. Any opportunity to add some fogg, he'll be there with his fog machine.

I'll say this: you're my favorite poster in ages.

Stiler

Are you drunk or trolling?

Have you ever seen an actual battlefield? There is dust/smoke everyfuckingwhere.

Oh my fucking God.

It never ends, does it?

TFA was a composite of ALL THREE FILMS. It was not a scene-to-scene copy of ANH. Not even close.

It had a few things from the other films but it was by and far a lot more of ANH then anything else, the entire movie is built around the same plot points of ANH. It wouldn't work as a movie if you took those things out, it ties everything together.

What makes you so certain? I'm less and less convinced of it - but so many things throw me off. What was the dialogue at the opening of the first TFA trailer? Was he talking to Kylo/Ben?

The trailer thing is weird because it's not actually any part of the storytelling, and people treat it as if it is. It's marketing. It's not part of the movie at all. Luke isn't talking to anyone. It's just a line from Return of the Jedi being repurposed for a commercial. There's no insight to be gleaned there beyond that superficial reason. That's really as deep as it goes.

Anyway, why I'm certain Rey isn't a Skywalker:

1) Maz rules it out
2) Timeline rules it out

That's basically it.

Boem

Don't encourage him.

He's the perfect counterpoint to Bobby. I'm just trying to bring balance to the Force, which is apparently important although I could never figure out why exactly.

Like, if you've got guys that are clearly good and guys that are clearly bad, shouldn't the good guys win? Fuck balance.

But George said there should be balance in the Force so I guess I'm #teamfog.

I think this is how the Clone Wars started but that's another one of those things where I can't quite grasp the logic

jett

D-Member
I wonder what would laser blasts from an X-Wing on a person look like in an R-rated Star Wars movie.

The guys a fogger. Any opportunity to add some fogg, he'll be there with his fog machine.

lol

I sure will be on the lookout for foggin' if I rewatch TFA. :p

Guy.brush

[..]
Anyway, why I'm certain Rey isn't a Skywalker:

1) Maz rules it out
2) Timeline rules it out

That's basically it.

She will take on the Skywalker name, easy solution.
Luke is killed by Snoke/Kylo/guards overwhelming him.
Snoke: It is done. The Last of the Jedi is dead. Skywalker is dead.
*Rey takes on Skywalker name*
Rey: I am a Skywalker Leader, and I am still here.

So for example

Burning a hole in plastoid composite armor with a laser will produce smoke.

Meanwhile, Lucas was afraid to put any realistic smoke effects on his prequel films for fear that it would smudge up his oh-so-important CG backgrounds.

Sure the environments were more varied, but they also looked sterile and lifeless. The locations in TFA looked lived in. Each area appeared as if it had its own story to tell about who had been there and what they had done. You can almost picture in your mind’s eye the massive battle that caused this:

Or perhaps the desperate struggle of the rebels to bring down this:

You can imagine the life of endless struggle to survive on a planet where the largest outpost looks like this:

And you spend your days scavenging, growing old (if you’re lucky), and dying, all the while dreaming you might some day escape (even while held back by the hopes of your loved ones coming back to you).

That’s world-building. And that’s just one planet.

This?

It’s two people dancing in a digital volcano that would’ve cooked them alive faster than you can say “midichlorians” (and would’ve surrounded them at every step in smoke and steam and filth) but the old man directing the film was so obsessed with clean, beautiful shots that he didn’t bother worrying about how fake and plastic everything looked.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
How in the world has TFA "critique" reached the point where a snowy battlefield on a planet sized weapon that's literally imploding should look crystal clear? This is what we're doing now??

jett

D-Member
She will take on the Skywalker name, easy solution.
Luke is killed by Snoke/Kylo/guards overwhelming him.
Snoke: It is done. The Last of the Jedi is dead. Skywalker is dead.
*Rey takes on Skywalker name*
Rey: I am a Skywalker Leader, and I am still here.

Skyfogger, you mean.

I wonder what would laser blasts from an X-Wing on a person look like in an R-rated Star Wars movie.

lol

I sure will be on the lookout for foggin' if I rewatch TFA. :p

When you re-watch it, look out for the fog. and then look at rey and realise her acting range exists only within the realm of the many spectrum of "surprised face"

She graduated from the Ron Weasley school of the arts and stage.

And in terms of art direction and art style? The core aesthetics? Prequels got that TFA beat. I can't even remember what the establishing shots of the various places that Finn and Rey went to outside of Jakku. It moves too fast to give a shit.

Lucas made you savor the gungan city, because it looked fuckin rad. He made you savor all the enviroments you went into because they were well realized and nicely stylised, not hand wave you over to the next Rey surprised face and the next bit of fog.

There's more confidence in the art by far in the prequels than in TFA. Its why they don't need ass tonnes of fogg in order cover up the sheer banality of it all.

JCHandsom

Man, the OT just has too much fog! I can't believe I nobody has talked about it!

iu

luke-as-vader-e1477690953815.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Look at this, what is this a fog planet? Somebody turn off the humidifier!
mists-of-dagobah-570x240.jpg

Should call it Fog Wars amirite?

jman2050

tumblr_nvpqv5kaGm1r83egao3_540.gif

Believe it or not, this gif comes from a live-action film, and not a PlayStation 1 RPG with pre-rendered backgrounds.

It's kind of sad because I know what Lucas was going for and this could have been an incredible shot if the scene had actual camerawork, the actors had more activity besides walking slowly down a hallway, and if it didn't look fake as all get out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom