• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Scarborough (Morning Joe) is leaving the Republican Party

Elandyll

Banned
Just announced tonight during The Late Show

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-scarborough-is-leaving-the-republican-party/

It's following the culmination of personal attacks and insults from Trump after they publicly questioned his sanity, but according to Scarborough it's been a long time coming.

Joe Scarborough, the conservative co-host of MSNBC’s political commentary show Morning Joe, is leaving the Republican Party.

The full announcement will come during Tuesday night’s airing of the “The Late Show With Stephen Colbert.” A two-minute clip of the segment was teased on the program’s Twitter account earlier Tuesday.

“I am a Republican, but I’m not going to be a Republican anymore,” Scarborough says to loud applause in the clip. “I’ve got to become an independent.”

In the “Late Show” segment, Scarborough said his dissatisfaction with the Republican Party has been building for some time.

“I think it’s inexplicable. This was well before Donald Trump was elected president that my party has betrayed their core values,” he said, criticizing Trump’s so-called “Muslim ban” and the party’s reluctance to admonish comments perceived as racist.

“It was disturbing through the entire campaign,” Scarborough continued. “In February, when he talked about David Duke and pretended he didn’t know who David Duke was and didn’t know what the Ku Klux Klan did. You didn’t have Republicans coming out, saying ‘I can never support Donald Trump because he’s racist.’ They had 1,000 other excuses why.”

K.Sabot

hard to respect a man who stood by so much stupidity before finally coming to some sort of revelation that the republicans are repugnant

Chumley

Banned
hard to respect a man who stood by so much stupidity before finally coming to some sort of revelation that the republicans are repugnant

He didn't just now come to it, he's been slamming Trump for a year straight now ever since the infamous tape was released of him and Trump talking before an interview.

Better late than never.

hard to respect a man who stood by so much stupidity before finally coming to some sort of revelation that the Republicans are repugnant

He didn't stand by. He tried, via his show, to get the republicans to smarten up and return to their core values. He was one of the few people that continuously questioned other republicans for supporting Trump.

I guess he'd just had enough. He was a lifelong R and decided to turn his back. Given that he held office as a republican, it takes a bit of courage.

Elandyll

Banned
Seems like he was fine with it until the party went after him personally.
During the elections they kept going back and forth way too much, but were too engrossed in the ratings Trump was bringing them, even if truth be told, as a previously elected Republican representative, he was one of the most vocal Trump critics on the crazy stuff (Muslim ban, etc.).

Lowmelody

“I am a Republican, but I’m not going to be a Republican anymore,” Scarborough says to loud applause in the clip. “I’ve got to become an independent.”

That's pretty much all independents.

Hazmat

A logical move when the President of the United States tweets "Hey bro, one time your lady's face was fucked up up and I was like: no thanks!"

I can't possibly imagine what would make him do this
Mika

CoQ0huQ05moZW.gif

Tripon

Truth be told, I had no idea he was an open republican.
He was a republican congressman for about a decade. I don't blame him for waffling so hard, he had a lot of friends still currently in Washington. I'm not just current congressmen and elected leaders, more like the staff.

A small step forward

I've been wondering for months when he was going to pack his bags and walk away from the disaster that is the modern Government of Putin.

Kyzer

Banned
The Late Show started after OP was posted and hes just finished up his monologue, this was the announcement of the announcement

I'd sincerely like to know what what he considers the "core values" of the Republican party. They've spent so many years now stomping around in their own racism and xenophobia and fellating the rich that I don't remember what their values were like before. My impression from reading into Nixon is that Republicans have been trying to fight a stupid culture war since at least the 60s.

I'd sincerely like to know what what he considers the "core values" of the Republican party. They've spent so many years now stomping around in their own racism and xenophobia and fellating the rich that I don't remember what their values were like before. My impression from reading into Nixon is that Republicans have been trying to fight a stupid culture war since at least the 60s.
Republicans think the core values are small government, less regulations, low taxes, preserving American values, strong military, etc.

kevin1025

Banned
So that's why Hannity called him "Liberal Joe" before the Don Jr. segment. Huh.

Joe made the right move, as super late as it is.

Joe Scarborough said:
You didn’t have Republicans coming out, saying ‘I can never support Donald Trump because he’s racist.’ They had 1,000 other excuses why.”

He needs to stop with "They" and say "we."

Because he was part of that "we" in the time he's discussing. He was part of it for a while.

I think it's good that he used his platform to denounce his former party, as a lot of people belonging to it really oughta do by this point. But he can't just say "they" when he talks about the last 20 years.

That's a "we" thing.

Kyzer

Banned

Do you really not know or are you basically just making a statement?

Bonus question, What do you think Republicans think the liberal core values are? Communism and free hand outs lol

I guess its hard to say these days, theres like 20 factions of republican and they all contradict each other, i thought for sure Trump would lose and theyd be shattered forever, turns out they can fall in line for a cause better than we can.

Yeah social trash the republicans have pushed for decades while he was a member sure was much better. Just because republicans could hide their disgusting views with prettier words before Trump doesn't mean they have somehow changed.

In the background republicans are trying to kill people by ripping away their healthcare.

Independent? Lame. Shoulda went libertarian. That's the cool label for Republicans who are ashamed of being republicans.

These two words do not belong in the same topic. I don't know any Libertarians anymore... when I was a younger adult I knew tons of them then we all started having kids and growing up. Responsibility will do that to you.

Top Bottom