• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Scarborough (Morning Joe) is leaving the Republican Party

So that's why Hannity called him "Liberal Joe" before the Don Jr. segment. Huh.

Joe made the right move, as super late as it is.

Judging by my Twitter feed, the Cult of Trump has been calling Joe a liberal for weeks now. From what I can tell, a liberal is anyone that doesn't like that cowardly, treasonous, short fingered pile of orange shit they worship.

Aaron

The GOP's core values haven't changed since Nixon. They're just less dog whistle-ish about it in the Trump era.

Toxi

Banned
Identifying as red or blue as a defining characteristic is what's wrong with America in the first place.
An insane manchild is in the White House while the party controlling both houses of congress tries to gut millions of people's healthcare. Faith in legitimate media and higher education are low among significant swathes of the population.

No, that is not what's wrong with America in the first place.

Goodstyle

Fuck Joe. He stood by Trump after he posted those fake black crime statistics, he stood by Trump after his sexist attacks on reporters and his opponents, he stood by him after his racist comments about that Mexican Judge, and he found his way back to him after the Pussy tape came out.

Who gives a fuck if he's independent now? Independents are mostly just insincere Republicans who don't wanna be honest about their own bad opinions.

Permanently A

Fuck Joe. He stood by Trump after he posted those fake black crime statistics, he stood by Trump after his sexist attacks on reporters and his opponents, he stood by him after his racist comments about that Mexican Judge, and he found his way back to him after the Pussy tape came out.

Who gives a fuck if he's independent now? Independents are mostly just insincere Republicans who don't wanna be honest about their own bad opinions.

In regards to the bolded, source? Cause in the Colbert clip he was admonishing republicans for that.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed

I'll take his vote thanks. I mean, yeah fuck him, but you know...

Chumley

Banned

He didn't stand by him after the Mexican comments and screamed at the GOP to abandon Trump after the pussy tape. I don't know what you're talking about.

I'll take his vote thanks. I mean, yeah fuck him, but you know...

He will be like those surburbanites who voted Hillary at the top of the ticket but still reelected their Republican representative.

Again, avoid deeming someone a Moderate Darling or reformed Republican just because he criticizes Trump. He still holds 99% of the same repugnant beliefs he held last year or ten years ago.

The enemy of your enemy is not always your friend.

True story: I left the Republican party last year.

I hadn't voted Republican since 2000, though. Also hadn't voted since 2000. Starting shifting in the liberal direction during the second Bush term.

Became unaffiliated.

Goodstyle

In regards to the bolded, source? Cause in the Colbert clip he was admonishing republicans for that.

He didn't stand by him after the Mexican comments and screamed at the GOP to abandon Trump after the pussy tape. I don't know what you're talking about.

If he eventually comes back to Trump, his initial criticism is just hollow garbage. Jason Chaffetz said he couldn't look his daughter in the eye if he continued to support Trump, then he happily voted for him. Remember Joe saying "He's changed after becoming President"? That's just Joe retroactively trying to justify his tolerance for his bullshit. Morning Joe is part of what elevated Trump, and Trump knows this.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It's always interesting to see when people suddenly decide to start having standards, and why suddenly now he is distancing himself from them...

Kettch

I distinctly remember when I first saw Scarborough. It was on a news show during the 2000 election, where he was shilling and shitting it up with the best of them. Think Kellyanne Conway-lite.

I'm never going to be able to look at the man favorably, but it's good to hear about anyone leaving the Republican party.

So he finally realized that the GOP voter base is racist as fuck, and that the GOP actively panders to their racism to fire that base up?

Welcome to 1964, Joe.

He just didn't like seeing Donald Trump trading in his standard issue GOP Racism Dog Whistle™ for a megaphone.

These two words do not belong in the same topic. I don't know any Libertarians anymore... when I was a younger adult I knew tons of them then we all started having kids and growing up. Responsibility will do that to you.

Well that's nice. I'm nearly 35 and along with my husband who is 40 are libertarians. But I guess in your eyes we're not grown up because we don't believe the same things. K.

Anyway, I don't think he'll go back. Probably will still continue to vote the line I'm betting though.

Rran

hard to respect a man who stood by so much stupidity before finally coming to some sort of revelation that the republicans are repugnant
I don't think he deserves your respect--it would be nice, though, if more people on our side if the aisle could be more welcoming and less judgmental towards those who are making steps (from our vantage point, at least) in the right direction.

EDIT:

VVV ugghhh...

Cool, who cares if he's late to the party. If he can sell a small subset of conservative followers who are on the fence to splinter off then it's a win in my book.

If a guy enters AA you don't tell him to go fuck himself and leave because he was an alcoholic for 30 years, you let him sit down.

That's a poor comparison. Being a Republican is not a disease. It's perfectly fine to call out Joe's hypocrisy and question his actual motivation and intent when he was perfectly fine and in come cases complicit when the GOP was shitting up other people's lives, and only turned a corner when things got too close to home.

digdug2k

Isn't independent/libertarian just a catch all for "I want to support racist assholes, but I'd prefer to feel smug while I do it" at this point?

Ishan

I can't possibly imagine what would make him do this

welcome to the chorus of liberals who take it as granted someone will forfeit their long held beliefs cause you have different opinions. learn to respect a change of opinion dude.

Rran

It's perfectly fine to call out Joe's hypocrisy and question his actual motivation and intent when he was perfectly fine and in come cases complicit when the GOP was shitting up other people's lives, and only turned a corner when things got too close to home.
I don't think anyone would disagree with calling somebody out for being a hypocrite or questioning another's intentions, but I also don't see the compulsion some people have for tearing a person down after moving in a direction we all find more agreeable--sure, the guy has made a few stupid remarks in the past (and we voiced our discontent then), and if/ when he spouts something objectionable in the future, I'll join you in lambasting him again. But until then, I'll gladly take the time to appreciate the occasional step, however incremental, forward (or at the very least commend him for going against the grain and condemning the state of his former party).

RPGCrazied

Mika probably made him do it. You sleep with me, you leave the GOP!

But he has been coming out hard on Trump recently.

welcome to the chorus of liberals who take it as granted someone will forfeit their long held beliefs cause you have different opinions. learn to respect a change of opinion dude.

Are you daft

He switched because Trump is a fucking jackass and went after Joe/Mika, and he noticed that they aren't doing a damn thing

Shauni

Do you really not know or are you basically just making a statement?

Bonus question, What do you think Republicans think the liberal core values are? Communism and free hand outs lol

I guess its hard to say these days, theres like 20 factions of republican and they all contradict each other, i thought for sure Trump would lose and theyd be shattered forever, turns out they can fall in line for a cause better than we can.

Both sides are the same

RPGCrazied

The Republican Party hasn't changed though. Trump just meant some of these people can't ignore it anymore.

Could Trump still be inside job to bring down the GOP? I know his actions he has done recently shoots this down, but its like he ripped the band aide off and exposed the GOP for what they truly are.

Top Bottom