• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Scarborough (Morning Joe) is leaving the Republican Party

CrisKre

I believe people should be out on the streets. This shit is how undeniable, and until public perception hits the Rep. Party hard they will try to twist and deflect

Lime

The dude isn't "forgiven"until he throws his body against the heteropatriarchal imperialist capitalist white supremacy in the US

Shauni

I believe people should be out on the streets. This shit is how undeniable, and until public perception hits the Rep. Party hard they will try to twist and deflect

The Republican Party, by and large, doesn't care about its perception, and all they do now is twist and deflect.

Do it Joe! Time to face the full wrath of the conspiracy theory, completely fake news driven Republicans your party has been creating!

And get ready to be called a liberal lul

Elandyll

Banned
Good, just don't join the Democratic Party please.
Nah, I don't think we'll see anything like that.

The man is still very much a classic conservative D*Bag by any measure, he is just disgusted to see what his party (supposed to be about small gov, small taxes, "ethics and morals" and conservative christian values as well as World Leader in Defense for the hawks) has become under Trump (I'd argue that the fall of what Reps supposedly stand for began long before Trump though. The Nihilistic Tea Party was already a symptom of an existing crisis imo).

alternade

So after all the years of race baiting, hating on the poor, tax cuts for the rich and a plethora of immoral policies he finally decided he's had enough after they come for his lady?

Give me a fucking break. Let's be real, he will still vote down the line R when push comes to shove. Libertarian is just a republican embarrassed to say so in public.

I watch his show mostly for the unfiltered daily Trump bashing, but let's not act like he wasn't all to happy to be best friends with the idiot-in-chief when it meant better ratings and more potential access.

Anyone buying this shit as a revelation needs to wake up.

One of the likelier primary challengers for Trump in 2020. He and John Kasich.

Not too much talk about Trump getting primaried now, but if the GOP loses the House it is all but certain to happen.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
More Republicans need to come to this conclusion instead of holding on this title of Republican because it's how they identify their conservative views. I'm liberal as fuck but not registered as a Democrat nor do I label myself as one. I'm a candidate voter. Sure I almost exclusively vote Democrat but I've voted Republican (Mayor Bloomberg) for local gov.
I remember first getting into politics and actually understanding what it meant to be a "registered" D or R. Like, people actually do this? Just ascribe yourself to a team and vote down the party line when the time comes? I couldn't believe it. The fact that we're not all "independents" is crazy.

Yes, I know you need to part of a party to vote in the primary.

TyrantII

The dude isn't "forgiven"until he throws his body against the heteropatriarchal imperialist capitalist white supremacy in the US

Admitting some culpibility goes a long way.

You can't hitch your brand to the party that paved the way for this and get off the crazy train when things turn sour. This was the end game of their tactics and targeted propaganda; that they refused to see it is their problem doesn't absolve them of the consequences of the damage they did.

Same goes for Frum, Norquist, Kristol, ect.

They built this house.

Good for him, and good for making it a public announcement where he skewered other Republicans for staying quiet and allowing Trump to continue his descent into madness.

I don't subscribe to too little too late. People changing is a good thing.

I don't understand why any private citizen in this country without political aspirations feels any particular need to identify with a party, esp. when there's only two viable parties to identify with, which can't possibly represent the full spectrum of political ideology accurately. Even worse is to see someone like Joe agonizing/struggling with the decision.

Exactly. Tired of this "my team" bullshit.

Good for him, and good for making it a public announcement where he skewered other Republicans for staying quiet and allowing Trump to continue his descent into madness.

This too.

Rran

giphy.gif

~Kinggi~

Banned

Was just entering this thread to post this. I mean, Joe has been ripping Trump a new one for a while, and i can see why a repub doing that would still be a repub until his own party turns on him and nobody seems to give a shit. So yeah, i think the change is coming at a right time. He hoped for the best and it turned out horrible, and now after he realizes the whole party is on the trump train decides to fuck it and change. Thats how people change.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

I agree. If you can't forgive then how do we move forward?

I like Morning Joe. I've seen him several time criticize the Republicans for things. I left the GOP back in 1991 because I saw how elitist it had become with Bush Sr. I see a few moderate Repubs leaving the party and switching to independent. I think you'll see considerably more independents voting in the 2018 and 2020 elections.

Shauni

So if someone still becomes an Independent but still votes for the same party, or donates to them, we all peachy then lol. Until he comes off as voting for or donating towards Democrats or Independents, this is just feel good pandering.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So if someone still becomes an Independent but still votes for the same party, or donates to them, we all peachy then lol. Until he comes off as voting for or donating towards Democrats or Independents, this is just feel good pandering.

I mean, we dont know how that goes but he has still done far more than the typical repubs in existence so its still something. I mean really i doubt the dude would make a statement like this and then Trump 2.0 comes around and he votes for him. He is making a statement he doesnt want Trump 2.0.

LOL. He did not "change" he's just not a registered Republican. That monkey did no soul searching whatsoever.

Yet again we see the Moderate Darling makeover: you can hold all manner of repugnant beliefs, but as long as you criticize Trump, the #bothsides media will declare you a bipartisan, independent voice not constrained by party lines like those intellectual lessers.

See also Will, George (George Will on fucking MSNBC, come on!) and Hewitt, Hugh. Cable news, so desperate not to be called "liberal media," will contort themselves to create an illusory non-monstrous Republican.

Yet again we see the Moderate Darling makeover: you can hold all manner of repugnant beliefs, but as long as you criticize Trump, the #bothsides media will declare you a bipartisan, independent voice not constrained by party lines like those intellectual lessers.

See also Will, George (George Will on fucking MSNBC, come on!) and Hewitt, Hugh. Cable news, so desperate not to be called "liberal media," will contort themselves to create an illusory non-monstrous Republican.
LOL. As a minority, it kills me how easily the public and media forgives these figures. I'm sure Joe was complicit in demonizing ethnic minorities, lgbtq people, and looting the poors along the way but he hates Trump so now he's awesome!

I honestly don't even see this as change tbh.

LOL. As a minority, it kills me how easily the public and media forgives these figures. I'm sure Joe was complicit in demonizing ethnic minorities, lgbtq people, and looting the poors along the way but he hates Trump so now he's awesome!

My view on it all.

Trump apparently goes too far but before that he was pretty proud and comfortable with the Republican party to that point. Which is weird as shit since Trump is basically the Republican party personified. Like how can Trump disgust you but not the previous I dunno 60 years? He's literally the cumulation of those aforementioned years.

I need more than this before I'm giving props.

Joe Scarborough was one of the 223 House Republicans who voted to impeach Bill Clinton in 1998. He ain't that much different than the current crop of shitbags in Washington.

My question for you is...how do you know? Can people not truly change? I confess I had some of those same thoughts at one time (although not to any extreme lengths - I didn't believe in gay marriage, I was on board with GOP tax cuts, etc), but - people can change. If I didn't go through it myself, seeing the error of my ways, seeing how the ideas I agreed with actively hurt people, I might not believe it. But I did, and I do. I had shitbag views before, am I a shitbag now for having that attached to me at one point? Can there truly be no redemption? Once an asshole, always an asshole?

Perhaps Trump can be the gateway drug to political redemption for some people. For the people in your lives who are conservative but reject Trump, it's a great jumping off point for discussing other issues. As I said earlier, don't let perfect get in the way of good.

Trump apparently goes too far but before that he was pretty proud and comfortable with the Republican party to that point. Which is weird as shit since Trump is basically the Republican party personified. Like how can Trump disgust you but not the previous I dunno 60 years? He's literally the cumulation of those aforementioned years.

I need more than this before I'm giving props.

Sometimes it takes a shock to the system. My views were changing long before Trump came into play, but his presence and the ability of the party to embrace it warts and all shocked me into realizing that the whole damn party and tenets of such were not something I wanted to be associated with in any shape or form.

zsynqx

Agreed.

Top Bottom