• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JOHN CARTER (OF MARS!) |OT| (dir. Andrew Stanton)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdFoX187

Banned
Kitsch looks and sounds absolutely dreadful in every released second of the film. Expendables comment isn't surprising in the least.

Between this and Battleship...lol :(

His turn as Gambit should have been enough. Absolutely dreadful that was.

Nope, haven't read any of the books. If they tried adapting it to a modern audience, I think they'll failed. I'd be shocked if this one gets positive word-of-mouth. And I really disliked Tron: Legacy, so you may dig it.

That's what I feared. They fell into some bastardized pit between making a faithful version of Burroughs' work and trying to bring it to a modern audience. Though the one difference between this and TRON Legacy was I was digging all of the marketing up to release, whereas this just looks like one big joke after another.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
"in the end, one feels inclined to calculate the number of starving children who could have been fed with the money used to produce JOHN CARTER, and to hypothesize what would be on those sandwiches, only to realize that the movie is not yet over, only to realize that a nap is in order."

- last line of my review

Dead

well not really...yet
So audiences don't get alienated by having too much of the movie happen on Mars

Or probably some stupid bullshit like that.
I don't understand this desire to normalize this sort of fantastical content for the "regular folk." As if making it too out there will make it impossible to connect with audiences, in light of what became the most successful film of all time, its ridiculous.

Worthington may be shit in stuff like Clash or whatever, but he was more than serviceable in Avatar, it never felt like he couldn't keep up, and had bouts of actual good acting (and a few great moments too, but they were cut from the film). Kitsch actively looks unconvincing in this movie.

There was a period where I deemed Worthington to be the least charismatic actor ever because of Clash of the Titans and Avatar, but he turned in a surprisingly good performance in The Debt, which isn't a movie I find particularly great, but I enjoyed his performance.

So are studios looking to build Kitsch as the next big action star with this and Battleship?

Dead Man

There was a period where I deemed Worthington to be the least charismatic actor ever because of Clash of the Titans and Avatar, but he turned in a surprisingly good performance in The Debt, which isn't a movie I find particularly great, but I enjoyed his performance.

So are studios looking to build Kitsch as the next big action star with this and Battleship?

Worthington has been very acceptable in some australian films, it is when he started being the action hero that he got out of his depth.

Worthington was good in Avatar (not great, but good) and Somersault before that. But then again, Cameron can get a good performance out of Tom Arnold.

Aaron

Worthington was good in Avatar (not great, but good) and Somersault before that. But then again, Cameron can get a good performance out of Tom Arnold.
WHAT? The guy can't pick an accent, and he had the emotional depth of a horny pre-teen. I could pick apart Avatar, but most of the problems I can give a pass. I won't give Worthington a pass. He was complete and total shit.

WHAT? The guy can't pick an accent, and he had the emotional depth of a horny pre-teen. I could pick apart Avatar, but most of the problems I can give a pass. I won't give Worthington a pass. He was complete and total shit.

Maybe its because I haven't watched the theatrical cut in a while. Worthington has some good scenes in the Extended Cut. His best scene is one of those cut from both versions though.

cakefoo

The thing that made Avatar fine despite the acting was the HOLY SHIT realism of the CG and the 3D jungle and the floating chunks of earth and the flying scenes. Last but not least, you REALLY hated the shit out of the bad guy.

The thing that made Avatar fine despite the acting was the HOLY SHIT realism of the CG and the 3D jungle and the floating chunks of earth and the flying scenes. Last but not least, you REALLY hated the shit out of the bad guy.

Quaritch was awesome. Loved him.

Nizz

Tom Arnold was pretty good in True Lies. Worthington was fine in Avatar, I have no problems with his work there. Although his hairstyle in Wrath of the Titans is giving me a Danny McBride "Eastbound and Down" vibe.

The only work I've seen of Taylor Kitsch was in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. His Louisiana accent seemed to fade in and out in that.

I don't understand this desire to normalize this sort of fantastical content for the "regular folk." As if making it too out there will make it impossible to connect with audiences, in light of what became the most successful film of all time, its ridiculous.

The debate should have been settled after Star Wars. All you need are relatable characters and an accessible plot, and then you can take the audience to whatever universe you want.

Its the accent

And the constant twitching/head tilting he does when he delivers his lines. It's awkward and distracting.

dabig2

Eww, word of mouth for this movie is not so good. I really hope this movie can do well and I plan on seeing it this weekend, but...

I think I'm more interested in seeing how far it will drop next week then in seeing how much it underperforms this opening weekend. I don't think it will be pretty.

Aaron

Maybe its because I haven't watched the theatrical cut in a while. Worthington has some good scenes in the Extended Cut. His best scene is one of those cut from both versions though.
I haven't seen the extended cut, but I can't imagine it changing my opinion much. I really wish anyone else had been cast in that role. I would have taken a wooden log instead. I would have enjoyed the move more. The best scenes are the ones he's not in. Worthington just couldn't keep up with the actual actors in the film.

Sitting in IMAX waiting for the movie to start. They have changed the glasses since the renovation. They are much more uncomfortable and smaller than before. This converted shit is going to be painful.

I really, really enjoyed the film.

As somebody who read A Princess of Mars a long time ago, I was very happy with the film. It is a space opera in the best sense in that it contains a romanticism for old-hat pulpy sci-fi. If you know what to expect when you're going in, you will enjoy the fuck out of it.

I really enjoyed the characters in this film. Dejah was very good. I did imagine her character to be somewhat stronger when reading about her in the books, but she won me over big time. I was so worried about Woola based off of the screens, but goddamn is he endearing in this film. Fierce loyalty and FUCKING HILARIOUS. I don't know who the fuck Tom Riggins is and so this is one of my first encounters with Kitsch. He was fine. He wasn't bad, he was likable for the most part, except when it came to giving what I felt was a stunted battle speech. John and Dejah have very good chemistry together, which is what matters most. I cared about these characters being together.

What I really took pleasure in the scope of the film. It really does feel quite large. And whilst I have no problems recommending people see this in 2D due to the rush conversion and very subtle use of 3D most of the time - those wide angle sweeps are pretty effective at increasing the scale in 3D. I certainly was not expecting that.

I felt that the first three quarters of the film were great, whilst the last quarter didn't quite deliver on what had been built up.

The absolute best part of the film that elevates it enormously is without a doubt Michael Giacchino's score. As I had said when I heard the first snippets of his score (and can now confirm) it is his best work since Star Trek. I think it is actually much better than Star Trek; a lot of the emotional chords running throughout the main themes feel as though they have traces of LOST's heart in them. I haven't been able to get the main theme out of my head since leaving the theatre.

The effects were very good when it came to environmental work like Helium and the airships. Pretty much everything looked great, though I still think the Tharks themselves are poorly designed compared to what could have been. They still look like they could belong in any CG slapstick animation.

Overall, I'd say its a great popcorn film that really channels the sort of love for the type of old hat, escapist science fiction that sought to whisk its' audiences away as opposed to the type that provokes serious thought.

It makes me hate Disney for their shitty fucking marketing, because I really do want the sequels now.

It is the best movie Andrew Stanton has made.

Given your blinding, seething hatred of Stanton :)/), I'm not sure how to take this.

The rest of the review reflects what I expect, so can't wait for this weekend.

I have no seething hate for him. I just think Nemo was mediocre and wildly overrated, and that he squandered the very good first half of WALL-E by dumbing the second half of the film down to the point where I can't watch it anymore.

JGS

Banned
I'm kidding, but I'm hyped precisely because Stanton & Bird are my favorite PIXAR directors.

I want both of them to do well more so as live action directors. It's nice that Stanton seems less and less the blame for the presumed financial failure of this.

Cheebo

Banned
It is depressing that this is tracking to be a complete bomb this weekend, at least in America. Disney really mismanaged the marketing.

Daft_Cat

Glad you liked it, but I disagree pretty strongly on Nemo and (especially) Wall E.. I hope that you're right, Sculli.

Strange reviews on this..they seem borderline mixed, yet the general buzz is a lot more positive. I can't get a handle on what this movie actually is..but I don't understand how someone like Stanton could drop the ball on a property like this, so I'm expecting it to at least be entertaining.

He gave a TED talk recently, for those of you who are interested:

http://www.ted.com/talks/andrew_stanton_the_clues_to_a_great_story.html

Really enjoyed hearing his perspective on Pixar's success, etc. Sorry if it's already been posted.

Whoa, Sculli. I couldn't disagree more with just about every single thing you said. Interesting to see such divisive reactions.

Good sir! What have you done?? Though saying that, I really don't understand the love for Wall-E. It has its moments, but it never realizes its potential. Front-loaded on emotion, with zero payoff on the adventure.

Interesting impressions of John Carter. Veering ever so slightly more to perhaps seeing this in theatres.

Daft_Cat

I adore both of them. They show a knack for storytelling and direction that is miles above anything in John Carter.

Hmm. Pixar's famous for balancing its directorial approach with a sort of think tank system of checks and balances. Maybe Stanton isn't used to the amount of creative freedom given to him on John Carter. Probably has something to do with the switch to live action as well.

JGS

Banned
I adore both of them. They show a knack for storytelling and direction that is miles above anything in John Carter.
Dangit!

So the movie is good or sucks because it's not similar to other Stanton films. Glad I'm not on the fence for this one.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/movies/la-fi-ct-john-carter-20120306,0,1328056.story

Pre-release surveys of potential moviegoers, however, prompted Hollywood's biggest tracking company to revise its domestic opening weekend ticket sales estimates downward, from $30 million to $25 million. Typically projections rise as marketing campaigns reach a crescendo before a movie opens. Tracking numbers indicate that, as awareness of "John Carter" has risen, desire to see it has remained flat.

The film is struggling to find its footing in foreign countries as well. "John Carter" has strong interest in Russia, South Korea and Mexico but is tracking poorly throughout Europe and in other key markets such as Brazil and Australia, according to preliminary surveys.

Just as troubling, media analysts at Morgan Stanley, Barclays Capital and Davenport & Co. all predict Disney will lose money on the film, which will need to reach an estimated $700 million in worldwide ticket sales to break even, according to several people familiar with the film's economics who requested anonymity because of the confidentiality of the matter.

Yikes.

Fuuuuuuu

Is this the new Cleopatra?

bengraven

Damn, now I'm torn. I think my mindset is more similar to Sculli, though.

Regardless I won't be able to see this. I've got a very long two weeks of family things to worry about. Maybe down the road in a budget theater, sitting in some stale semen and eating fake popcorn.

jett

D-Member
Where in the world did they spend that $700 mn?? The film cost somewhere betweeen $250 mn - $300 mn. There's no way marketing cost them $400 mn. Avatar's promotion budget was $150 mn.

You think movie studios get 100% of the gross? :p Approx. half on average, domestically. Internationally is even dodgier.

p.s. avatar's budget is closer to $280 mill.

Novid

Banned
I really, really enjoyed the film.

As somebody who read A Princess of Mars a long time ago, I was very happy with the film. It is a space opera in the best sense in that it contains a romanticism for old-hat pulpy sci-fi. If you know what to expect when you're going in, you will enjoy the fuck out of it.

I really enjoyed the characters in this film. Dejah was very good. I did imagine her character to be somewhat stronger when reading about her in the books, but she won me over big time. I was so worried about Woola based off of the screens, but goddamn is he endearing in this film. Fierce loyalty and FUCKING HILARIOUS. I don't know who the fuck Tom Riggins is and so this is one of my first encounters with Kitsch. He was fine. He wasn't bad, he was likable for the most part, except when it came to giving what I felt was a stunted battle speech. John and Dejah have very good chemistry together, which is what matters most. I cared about these characters being together.

What I really took pleasure in the scope of the film. It really does feel quite large. And whilst I have no problems recommending people see this in 2D due to the rush conversion and very subtle use of 3D most of the time - those wide angle sweeps are pretty effective at increasing the scale in 3D. I certainly was not expecting that.

I felt that the first three quarters of the film were great, whilst the last quarter didn't quite deliver on what had been built up.

The absolute best part of the film that elevates it enormously is without a doubt Michael Giacchino's score. As I had said when I heard the first snippets of his score (and can now confirm) it is his best work since Star Trek. I think it is actually much better than Star Trek; a lot of the emotional chords running throughout the main themes feel as though they have traces of LOST's heart in them. I haven't been able to get the main theme out of my head since leaving the theatre.

The effects were very good when it came to environmental work like Helium and the airships. Pretty much everything looked great, though I still think the Tharks themselves are poorly designed compared to what could have been. They still look like they could belong in any CG slapstick animation.

Overall, I'd say its a great popcorn film that really channels the sort of love for the type of old hat, escapist science fiction that sought to whisk its' audiences away as opposed to the type that provokes serious thought.

It makes me hate Disney for their shitty fucking marketing, because I really do want the sequels now.

thanks for the review. and Stanton has had many issues, so to see this being his best work is great to hear.

but this is a shame. Disney has fucking lost it. They are the GOD DAMN KINGS of Marketing. HOW DO YOU FUCK THIS UP?! they have no excuse, they have ESPN One, Two, Three, and News with W, Disney Chan, Disney XD, ABC, ABC FAMILY, 10 Affillates... spent 400 MILLION! and its tracking lower than the Lorax did? FIRE THESE SONS OF BITCHES at MARKETING NOW!

I think movie/theme/look aside, they miscast the lead. More than anything, I didn't like his shiny muscley too gymfit look. The face and the styling(Hair) just looked naff

And then there's that overtly sexy woman. When I saw her; all I could think of was The Mummy /or films of the ilk

Going to try and see it this weekend with my 8 year old. I'll let you know how it goes

It's in 3D though so i'm inclined to wait for 2D =(

I tend to agree with Sculli over blockbusters and shit, well most of the time. I'm glad the dude enjoyed it. Back to being kinda excited on watching it this weekend.

But then again Expendable shows love for Finding Nemo and Wall E and Sculli hates on them...I am torn here like the kid in Tree of Life.

Going to try and see it this weekend with my 8 year old. I'll let you know how it goes

It's in 3D though so i'm inclined to wait for 2D =(

The 3D wasn't bad for me, actually added a bit to a few scenes. I had little problem with the brightness where I saw it (AMC Empire 25 (fake) IMAX). My favorite shot in the film was
Camera movies behind John Carter when he lights a match and is moving through a cave near the beginning. Worked well in 3D.

Zebra

The polarizing opinions of Sculli and Expendable have me excited and curious.

I tend to agree with Sculli over blockbusters and shit, well most of the time. I'm glad the dude enjoyed it. Back to being kinda excited on watching it this weekend.

But then again Expendable shows love for Finding Nemo and Wall E and Sculli hates on them...I am torn here like the kid in Tree of Life.

Nature, or grace? DAMMIT WHICH DO I CHOOSE!?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Marketers should be selling this movie as the movie you need to see to have an opinion about at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom