• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: Civil War - First impressions (Full review embargo lifts Apr 13)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Red Robin burger and fries will be in the $10+ range as it's a step up from fast food burgers. There's also a Whataburger on Silber (theatre is located on I-10 and Silber) so it should be in the parking lot as well. What a burger meal should cost you in the $6-8 range.
If there's a good pizza place nearby, I'll go for that instead.

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/captain-america-civil-war/review/

Matching its blockbuster scale and spectacle with the smarts of a great, grown-up thriller, *Captain America: Civil War* is Marvel Studios’ finest film yet. There. We said it again.

5 stars
The Spider-Man note in particular sounds like it'll be godlike. Spidey with a shit-ton of quips is just what the doctor ordered.

duckroll

Yet there is no Loki or Ultron (or, for that matter, Lex Luthor) equivalent this time. Not a whiff of Thanos, or any more of those forgettable Marvel sub-baddies with ‘The’ for a middle name. There is a meddling manipulator — of course there is — but, interestingly, their agenda is as blurred as Steve’s and Tony’s. Arguably just as sympathetic, too.

Wow, they might really be using the Brubaker run's version of Zemo. That would be super awesome, and explain why the Russos keep calling it a "psychological thriller".

Ashhong

Go start a war somewhere else, we got one here already

Captain America: Civil War |Advance Screening Thread| IT'S PISS

duckroll started it!

Nice to read that there isnt a
big supervillain in this movie. Seems like the conflict will last pretty much the entire movie instead of being done halfway through. Makes me think there will be real consequences for this "War"

If anybody reads the above, is this a spoiler? I don't really think it is.

edit: welp, duckroll just posted what I posted without any tags so I guess it's not lol

Bronx-Man

Banned
Am I right in thinking that the only other comic movie Empire awarded 5 stars to was The Dark Knight?

1369293357326.png

SpaceWolf

Banned
[Spiderman's] introduction to the action is resoundingly joyous, the reboot the character truly deserves. (“I don’t know if you’ve been in a fight before,” he’s told by one opponent, “but there’s not usually this much talk.”)

spiderman-gif-3.gif

YASS.

Neoxon

Wow, they might really be using the Brubaker run's version of Zemo. That would be super awesome, and explain why the Russos keep calling it a "psychological thriller".
This is what has me the most hyped. But given Marvel's track record with villains, I'm keeping my expectations in check.

I actually live out in St. Charles Parish, but nobody knows where the hell that is so I generally just say "New Orleans", a city people recognize.

Canal Place is a hell of a drive, and New Orleans parking is a pain as usual. I generally frequent theaters in the Metairie and Kenner area, with an occasional stop in at The Prytania.
They validate at canal place parking lot. I think it still costs a couple bucks but no more than that

Are we just using this thread or is there going to be a proper "Review/RT" thread?

I'd bank on someone making:

Early Reviews thread
RT thread
Screening thread
OT
OT2
OT4

Also, I really hope we can avoid comparisons between the two movies because that prompts fanboy-offs and that shit is dumb

phanphare

Banned
Yup I've already seen dc fans getting mad about that and saying it makes no sense to compare the two.

it kind of does make sense though. both movies deal with the collateral damage caused by super heroes and the threats that they deal with plus the whole different heroes fighting each other.

a916

[Spiderman's] introduction to the action is resoundingly joyous, the reboot the character truly deserves. (“I don’t know if you’ve been in a fight before,” he’s told by one opponent, “but there’s not usually this much talk.”)

spiderman-gif-3.gif

YASS.

But everyone in the MCU spits out one liners in every fight...

DC brought it on themselves, they all but ENCOURAGED comparisons stuffing BvS with so much Avengers-ish setting up

How dare they make a movie!

duckroll

Could you summarize that version of Zemo for us casuals?

Ed Brubaker Captain America spoilers:
Towards the end of the initial run when Bucky was already Captain America, Zemo resurfaces and having researched the truth behind Bucky and the Winter Solider is bitter and resentful that all the heroes are so quick to forgive one of their own while they remain suspicious of villains with a legacy like himself. So he engineers a media campaign against Bucky revealing that the current Captain America was a Russian assassin and basically turning the entire world against him until he has no choice but to turn himself in and go on trial for his past crimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom