• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First critics impressions for Doctor Strange (Social media) - Embargo lifts Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busty

Banned
Marvel keeps pushing boundries? Wat?

True. If this isn't a red flag I don't know what is. All early reviews of comic book films are universally over enthusiastic.

I heard from someone that this is a solid but routine entry from Marvel. I wonder if this is when people start to fall away from Marvel's (albeit successful) formula.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is definitley a movie that's better to watch at home so you can watch it again immediately afterwards to pick up on the clues you missed the first time.

Holy shit Lord fucking no. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is probably the most boring movie I have seen in the cinema.

disgstd.gif

Bleepey

What?? That film is amazing

I got into a huge debate about this film on this board. I will never understand the appeal of this film. Only things I remember about the movie is blacking in and out of consciousness, everyone being very posh, a cover of la mer and some dude who was very enthusiastic about how he ate toast.

Dont get this in the wrong way, these threads tend to reach a point where I am not sure when a post is sarcastic, but do you really mean this?

?

Name another successful cinematic universe and by that I don't just mean a movie series with a lot of sequels.

By a universe I mean different films with different protagonists that sometimes overlap and whose stories are collectively building towards a climatic film(s) (Infinity War). The MCU like it or not is a much different than the average franchise in their approach.

Are we seriously acting like the MCU wasn't something new when it started?

Literally every other studio started wanting to build a cinematic universe after Marvel's success. WB with DC, Universal with their classic Monsters, Sony with Spider-Man

Busty

Banned
Some people say this with every new Marvel release and it never happens.

True but there doesn't feel anything like the excitement for this compared to Marvel's other recent films including Ant Man.

In saying that you are right, every time people count out Marvel (Ant Man most recently) they pull out a result none the less.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
?

Name another successful cinematic universe and by that I don't just mean a movie series with a lot of sequels.

By a universe I mean different films with different protagonists that sometimes overlap and whose stories are collectively building towards a climatic film(s) (Infinity War). The MCU like it or not is a much different than the average franchise in their approach.
Star Trek until the Reboot, it just lacks the Climatic films.
And if we go farther away the classic Universal Horror Movies, with Bela Lugiosi, Boris Karloff, etc, where everyone teamed up with everything all the time, but still, no build up. And, to be fair, the actors changed a couple of times. Buts its funny how similar they did things back then.

Star Trek until the Reboot, it just lacks the Climatic films.

And the significant inter connectivity Star Trek: Generations aside.

Also they weren't doing say a TNG movie and a I dunno Starfleet Academy Movie followed by a Klingon film and a film on a different ship.

Not to mention 99% of their world building was on TV

Like it's totally cool to not like the MCU but to pretend like they aren't doing something significantly different is ridiculous.

How far in advance are Marvel's embargos in general?
I know Civil War was weeks in advance but I don't remember how they handled the other films.
Not trying to be all doom and gloom, I'm just surprised the embargo is only three days in advance (for most countries) this time.

wildfire

Banned
Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like when anything (be it a movie or a game nowadays) gets positive first impressions, the consensus is generally "these positive impressions might be BS. Wait for more 'reputable' sources" Yet when the impressions are negative, the waiting is usually thrown out in the consensus in favor of "Wow what a failure" and "I knew it all along!"

I wonder why this is. Just an odd thing I've noticed.

Do you expect most of the people to do this are one and the same?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I know Civil War was weeks in advance but I don't remember how they handled the other films.
Not trying to be all doom and gloom, I'm just surprised the embargo is only three days in advance (for most countries) this time.

Dont worry, the Embargo of Civil War had more to do with the early screenings they made.
It doesnt make sense let the regular joes two weeks earlier in the movie but not allow the critics.

Blader

It doesn't open in most countries until next week, not this Friday.

Christian

Hey, guys, do you think this is when that Pokémon fad finally ends?? I mean, when Marvel movies wear out their welcome! Yeah, that's what I mean!

It doesn't open in most countries until next week, not this Friday.

I know, I'm not talking about the early tweets but the embargo for actual reviews is on sunday and the movie releases in a lot of countries on wednesday.

I'm not necessarily worried about the critical reception (I assume it will be in the 60s on RT at worst) but there was some talk after Civil War that maybe lifting the embargo so early might have been a mistake. I wonder if this is a reaction to that...

Aurongel

This thread's already looking pretty toxic and unproductive, neato.

With superhero films, I usually wait until they're out to start digging through critical opinion. After all, I don't know why anyone in their right mind sees any of these films on opening night. The last two Marvel films I saw opening night attracted the rudest of the rude audience members and people who were way, way, way way way too into what was happening on screen. Energy in a theater is fun but camera flashes every 10 minutes are just distracting.

I just don't want to get burned again like I did with BvS or Amazing Spiderman 2. Early critical opinion on films like these tend to skew pretty consistently better than where it ends up falling six months after.

Contrast that with even Pixar films which feel like they grow in stature over time. I'd sooner take the leap for one of those than this.

Slayven

How long Slay? How long you been waiting to use that one?
All my life

But it comes out less than a week from now.

Isn't the movie out in like 2 weeks?

The movie opens in 6 days here (Germany)

I hope it's really good, looking forward to this one :)

its out on Tuesday

Huh. It's out next Tuesday.

It opens in 5 days in the UK.

Not America or china, doesn't count

y2dvd

This whole formulaic talk is boring. Each genre is formulaic to itself. Romance is gonna follow the same beats. Spy movies will follow the same beats. It's in the execution, and it's a testament to how consistent the MCU has been.

Lebron

Literally every other studio started wanting to build a cinematic universe after Marvel's success. WB with DC, Universal with their classic Monsters, Sony with Spider-Man
Well WB had the CU idea way back with the Burton films, but they were too inept with their own properties to pull it off till Marvel showed them it could be done.

They had CU's (a stretch) before Marvel, but no one cared and they weren't successful enough like the MCU to push the industry in a certain direction. It's laughable to try and downplay their success or claim it was "easy". It's basically saying "yea, but there were smart phones before the iPhone" argument all over again. Yeah, and no one cared.

guek

Banned
It's not nearly as severe but there's definitely some kind of reverse sonic cycle starting to form around MCU movies on gaf. People are going to gush about Dr. Strange when it comes out but by the time the next movie his, we'll be back to the weird cynicism about how there aren't many good MCU movies.

At least it's not like the DCEU though which seems to emulate the sonic cycle to a T up to now.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The average superhero flick deserves a 2/10, not a 7.

Average by definition would be a 5 out of 10, not a 2. Your bias is coming through, you might want to keep an eye on that.

My opinion is serious.

No, it is just your opinion, and it is no more correct or serious than anyone else’s, no matter who you think you are.

It's true that Marvel keeps pushing boundaries, they keep pushing the boundary of how highly regarded totally safe and unchallenging films for mass audiences can be. I'm not a snob. I'm a Marvel fanboy. I enjoy most of the movies, but as time goes by I feel the increasing need to step back and make fun of how easily satisfied we have become with it all. Every new film that simply doesn't fall apart and fail is a "new gold standard" and every new sub-genre tackled that meets expectations of being entertaining is "groundbreaking" or "risky". No, it's not. I don't think Marvel films suck, far from it I think they have mastered the formula for satisfying audiences by controlling the expectations and then often surpassing it a little bit. It's like managing a fanclub really well. I think this is good for fans, but there's definitely a good amount of hyperbole and kool aid going round as well. So try not to be too self-conscious about it when people make fun.

Even as a Marvel fanboy myself, I can agree with this. I’ve enjoyed all of the Marvel films, but I’d never make the assertion that they were all great films. They definitely have a “formula” that they tend to stick to even if they do push that formula in certain directions from film to film, but at least it’s an effective formula that gives the audiences (mostly) what they want. I can see and admit the flaws in a lot of them, but I still enjoy watching them just the same.

Dr. Strange looks great to me from what I’ve seen, and I’m looking forward to seeing it soon. But do I think it will be the best Marvel film ever? Or will it break the mold and redefine cinema? Of course not, lol. But will I enjoy the fuck out of it? Most likely. :)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's not nearly as severe but there's definitely some kind of reverse sonic cycle starting to form around MCU movies on gaf. People are going to gush about Dr. Strange when it comes out but by the time the next movie his, we'll be back to the weird cynicism about how there aren't many good MCU movies.

True. Also there will be the obivious Thor 2 Discussion after two pages.

DOCTOR STRANGE is unlike any previous Marvel movie and that’s why I love Marvel. They keep pushing boundaries and make it look easy.
I want to believe but tweets like this make it tough. I'm sure I'll see and enjoy the movie for what it is. I've enjoyed all their movies
including Dark World.

Blader

I don't know, doesn't the fact that virtually every studio in Hollywood is chasing their own cinematic universe (and falling flat on their face) in the wake of the Avengers something of a boundary that Marvel has pushed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom