• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First critics impressions for Doctor Strange (Social media) - Embargo lifts Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure Doctor Strange will be a good and entertaining film, like most Marvel blockbusters, but this whole "Marvel keeps pushing boundaries" narrative is something I can't wrap my head around. Sounds like you usual pre-blockbuster hype.

sounds cool but matrix comparisons lol that sets up such lofty expectations out the bat. i need to read some impressions from some realboy critics. don't usually fuck with these early impression blog dudes.

to be fair though not much has been done in movies with magic fuckery. you got sorcerers apprentice and harry potter but neither really got that inventive with it.

so there is a big glaring hole right now for somebody to step in there.

...Exactly?
You didn't actually say what you were getting at,so I can only assume, but the implication was that nerd critics are somehow lesser critics, or at least not to be trusted as much in this context. Like of course they would be rating it well because it's the kind of movie they like.

I love reading Michael Phillips, and I miss The Dissolve as much as anyone, but those aren't the kinds of critics I care to see talking about Marvel movies.

And nerd critics thought things like BvS and Suicide Squad were shit too. They don't just automatically praise everything that's in their wheelhouse.

Y'all who smoke we're gonna need to plan out an exact time to all get high and see it in unison to share our blitzed out impressions.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like when anything (be it a movie or a game nowadays) gets positive first impressions, the consensus is generally "these positive impressions might be BS. Wait for more 'reputable' sources" Yet when the impressions are negative, the waiting is usually thrown out in the consensus in favor of "Wow what a failure" and "I knew it all along!"

I wonder why this is. Just an odd thing I've noticed.

Jarmel

Banned
I ask why? His power set makes it very likely that we could see something great.
The Matrix Bullet Time sequences were revolutionary when they came out to the point that it set off a wave of other directors and mediums such as videogames trying to emulate it. There really hasn't been anything at that level since and even the Wachowskis can't hit that mark despite supposedly trying with Jupiter Ascending.

So I'm supposed to believe that this is one of the most revolutionary films in cinema despite little in the trailers being remotely at that level instead of a coked out version of Inception's/Paprika's dream sequences? Again it's possible but not likely.

his horror films were trash. but with this he might have a decent action blockbuster on his hands.

perhaps he switches up his career thanks to marvel.

First Sinister was good. Second was garbage but first was good. And his treatment and idea for Deus Ex was really good the studio just couldn't get it off the ground.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
First Sinister was good. Second was garbage but first was good. And his treatment and idea for Deus Ex was really good the studio just couldn't get it off the ground.

He didn't direct Sinister 2 though. Anyway the first Sinister was a fantastic movie, so I don't see what's the problem with Derrickson.

Civil War, Winter Soldier, Iron Man, Avengers.

iron man 1, 3, guardians, cap 2

cap 3 got boring when i tried rewatching it. those 4 tho i can check out on cable whenever it's airing. anyways who cares what that dude is saying, that preview with the 2001-esque visuals guaranteed itself a spot in the top 5 already.

iron man 1, 3, guardians, cap 2

3 got boring when i tried rewatching it. those 4 tho i can check out on cable any time. anyways who cares what that dude is saying, that preview with the 2001-esque visuals kind of guaranteed itself a spot in the top 5 already.

Iron Man 3 is actually my fav MCU movie, it's just not on what I'd consider the mainstream top 5

There is absolutely more than 5 good MCU movies.

Ninjimbo

After watching Civil War, I think the only good Marvel movies are the origins. Except for Cap 2, the sequels have been pretty lame.

Bodes well Doc Strange.

theWB27

The Matrix Bullet Time sequences were revolutionary when they came out to the point that it set off a wave of other directors and mediums such as videogames trying to emulate it. There really hasn't been anything at that level since and even the Wachowskis can't hit that mark despite supposedly trying with Jupiter Ascending.

So I'm supposed to believe that this is one of the most revolutionary films in cinema despite little in the trailers being remotely at that level instead of a coked out version of Inception's/Paprika's dream sequences? Again it's possible but not likely.

Putting bullet time in other mediums is easier than applying Doc S's skillset into another. So...it could very well be something as great, as revolutionary as bullet time that simply wouldn't go well in other forms of entertainment. So...we could see something as good that doesn't set the world on fire.

radically new or innovative; outside or beyond established procedure, principles, etc.:

Revolutionary doesn't mean everything you put behind it.

Yeah, I don't trust these impressions at all even though I like Frosty but I can't think of many superhero films he actually disliked, so...

Based on the trailers, I'm expecting a by the numbers origin movie with a predictable villain, the usual Marvel jokes and some great visuals. I really wish Marvel and DC skipped origin stories from now on. Go the Batman 89 route.

I really wish Marvel and DC skipped origin stories from now on. Go the Batman 89 route.

that's one thing i really liked about BvS. how established and ingrained in his city Batman already felt.

can't really get away with that for Doctor Strange tho tbh, i'd love it but i doubt audiences would be happy about being thrown in without any hints or backstory. but look at spiderman,we've seen his uncle die twice already haha. so they'll be doing the same with the next spiderman movie and glossing over the origin i'm assuming.

- J - D -

Based on the trailers, I'm expecting a by the numbers origin movie with a predictable villain, the usual Marvel jokes and some great visuals. I really wish Marvel and DC skipped origin stories from now on. Go the Batman 89 route.

You're gonna get Captain Marvel Begins and you're gonna like it!

Trojan X

Banned
They talk a lot about the visuals. :/ Not very convincing so far.

Please don't do a Ghostbusters 2016. Please don't do a Ghostbusters 2016. Please don't do a Ghostbusters 2016. Please don't do a Ghostbusters 2016. Please don't do a Ghostbusters 2016.

Story is everything. Much how early impressions of Ghostbusters 2016 just focused on women, I hope this isn't the case of impressionist just strictly talking about the visuals. I really hope that the movie as a whole is damn good for even I have good feelings about it and I don't want to be wrong. I.e. I don't trust any of those impressions, they sound fixed and Marvel shouldn't settle for crap like that for its proven to hurt you in the long run.

The Kree

Banned
Putting bullet time in other mediums is easier than applying Doc S's skillset into another. So...it could very well be something as great, as revolutionary as bullet time that simply wouldn't go well in other forms of entertainment. So...we could see something as good that doesn't set the world on fire.

radically new or innovative; outside or beyond established procedure, principles, etc.:

Revolutionary doesn't mean everything you put behind it.

Bullet time was revolutionary because it overcame the technical limitations behind divorcing time and space on film.

Doctor Strange isn't gonna do anything but look cool and trippy. What technical limitations are left to overcome that aren't mostly about visual fidelity? We can even see some rubbery CG humans in the commercials.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
I love how Marvel lets folks talk about the movie damn near a month before it comes out

That Marvel Ego, it's planet sized

The movie opens in 6 days here (Germany)

I hope it's really good, looking forward to this one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom