• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone besides me feel like Captain America: Civil War is overrated and exploitative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's certainly overrated but it's still pretty great. Much better than either Avengers movie and third best MCU flick behind Winter Soldier and GOTG imo.

Ronin Ray

I watched it yesterday and Winter Soldier destroys it. The airport scene was so bad.

And the twist with Tony's parents had me rolling my eyes.

Winter Soldier is amazing.

In the winter soldier they show Bucky killed tony's parents . How is that a twist ?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I had quite a few beefs with CW, but one of the two major ones was that the whole infighting thing would have probably been a lot more meaningful if we didn't have two Marvel movies with most of the same crew (Avengers 1 and 2 for those of you playing at home) that did the exact same thing.

Giant man was hype though
Who could have a movie with Paul Rudd the god

I thought civil war was pretty good, more avengers than a solo cap movie but that's ok.
Spider-Man was also hype, lol winter soldier already trash tier after that fight against spidey
OP

legend166

It was the first comic book movie which made me actually think "Why am I, a full grown adult, watching what is essentially the fantasy of an 8 year old playing with his action figures and getting them all to fight one another?" That airport fight scene was genuinely eye opening for me.

It made me realise at age 28 I've probably outgrown those movies. There's something so immature about them, even compared to films like Finding Dory, which I can happily enjoy without questioning my maturity level.

I had the same feelings during Batman VS Superman. Maybe it's something subconscious about pitting superheros against one another.

fernoca

The movie was fun and I enjoyed it, but it was hyped way too much.

Some made it sound like it was a masterpiece and how they made it to test waters for the Infinity War movie.

But as a Captain America movie, it barely expanded anything around him. It was more of a "on today's episode of The Avengers".

Then I was supposed to feel sorry for Bucky, despite that the character added nothing to the story and all his scenes are of him looking pissed off.

Vision and Wanda might as well not been there, though Wanda's purpose was to troll people in the airport scene.

It was still fun and better made than many movies out there , but it was nothing extraordinary as some make it sound.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
It was the first comic book movie which made me actually think "Why am I, a full grown adult, watching what is essentially the fantasy of an 8 year old playing with his action figures and getting them all to fight one another?" That airport fight scene was genuinely eye opening for me.

It made me realise at age 28 I've probably outgrown those movies. There's something so immature about them, even compared to films like Finding Dory, which I can happily enjoy without questioning my maturity level.

I had the same feelings during Batman VS Superman. Maybe it's something subconscious about pitting superheros against one another.

Yup, I felt the exact same way.

In one sense, it was like, "holy shit, this is gonna be so utterly cool", but then you're like "wait, this is actually kinda lame :/".

Slayven

Will people say Infinity War should be more like the comic?

p2_0.jpg

Havok took down the hulk TWICE, what is Sasquatch thinking he is going to do?

LionPride

Banned
The movie was fun and I enjoyed it, but it was hyped way too much.

Some made it sound like it was a masterpiece and how they made it to test waters for the Infinity War movie.

But as a Captain America movie, it barely expanded anything around him. It was more of a "on today's episode of The Avengers".

Then I was supposed to feel sorry for Bucky, despite that the character added nothing to the story and all his scenes are of him looking pissed off.

Vision and Wanda might as well not been there, though Wanda's purpose was to troll people in the airport scene.

It was still fun and better made than many movies out there , but it was nothing extraordinary as some make it sound.
The movie was all about Cap, Bucky, and Tony and their relationships. From the jump we know that Bucky and Steve are brothers for life from First Avenger. Winter Soldier showed that Steve still loves Bucky and wants him back. Civil War shows that he will do anything to protect and save his best friend.

Steve and Tony have been rocky from the start. In Avengers they don't like each other, in Ultron they still kinda don't like each other, and with the Sokovia Accords they really don't agree and with all this Bucky shit they are at odds.

The audience is not exactly supposed to feel sorry for Bucky, that's literally up to viewer interpretation and how they want to feel.

Watching him get bodied by T'Challa was honestly the best parts of the movie because I understood where he was coming from. T'Challa actually has one of the best arcs in the movie.

Also, again.

It's better they didn't directly adapt the books.

The books are fucking awful. Anybody wanna see a mentally unstable Thor clone kill Ant Man for shits and giggles while Tony waxes poetic about his moral superiority when he quite literally has a breeding facility in his basement?

Slayven

Also, again.

The books are fucking awful. Anybody wanna see a mentally unstable Thor clone kill Ant Man for shits and giggles while Tony waxes poetic about his moral superiority when he quite literally has a breeding facility in his basement?

The world ain't ready for Jack Flag soloing the Dark Avengers

jackflag13.jpg

LionPride

Banned
Also, again.

Sure, why the fuck not

Tony is like Saturday Morning Cartoon plus Bond villain levels in Civil War, like there was no way people could be pro registration with that fuck boy leading the helm

Sure, why the fuck not

Tony is like Saturday Morning Cartoon plus Bond villain levels in Civil War, like there was no way people could be pro registration with that fuck boy leading the helm

Fucked up thing too is that he's kinda right in that all the destruction they cause means that yeah there should probably be oversight or something for this.

But they picked the absolute worst guy to be the face of it all. Like picking hitler to run the Jewish Anti-Defamation League.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I wasn't talking about the accords at all and whether or not they made sense, but the sha wouldn't have made sense this point in the mcu. later on maybe it would.

What are you trying to say here? That the accords would make more sense later? Why do they not make sense in Civil War?

oh that's right, i forgot what that press conference was about in the first place

It wasn't a press conference.

What are you trying to say here? That the accords would make more sense later? Why do they not make sense in Civil War?
no, i'm not saying anything about the accords here. i'm saying the superhero registration act would make more sense later, if they did civil war later

It wasn't a press conference.
whatever it was it was seemingly a presentation of the accords

I think using the movie to introduce Spider-Man was a mistake and distracts from the main story.

Otherwise it was an overall fantastic film, though with all the other characters floating around it lacked the more personal conflict that so brilliantly characterized The Winter Soldier.

At the very least, we know The Avengers: Infinity War is in good hands.

Ok...but the accords take their place in the film which makes perfect sense.
yeah but I wasn't talking about the accords, I was talking about hypothetically taking on the actual superhero registration act, which at its present time in the MCU would not make sense, unless they did the civil war later

xxracerxx

yeah but I wasn't talking about the accords, I was talking about hypothetically taking on the actual superhero registration act, which at its present time in the MCU would not make sense, unless they did the civil war later

Even if they waited 10 years, it wouldn't work unless they added a metric shit ton of superheroes to the MCU that did not reveal their identities.

Also, by then you probably will not have Downey and Evans.

LionPride

Banned
I think using the movie to introduce Spider-Man was a mistake and distracts from the main story.

Otherwise it was an overall fantastic film, though with all the other characters floating around it lacked the more personal conflict that so brilliantly characterized The Winter Soldier.

At the very least, we know The Avengers: Infinity War is in good hands.

How was it a mistake when he is in the movie for 8 minutes and doesn't take away from anything?

How was it a mistake when he is in the movie for 8 minutes and doesn't take away from anything?

"Why are we introducing Spider-Man in a movie named Captain America: Civil War?" is a question that SOMEONE at Marvel should have asked.

The MCU in general is becoming increasing overstuffed with every new entry, I liked that in Phase 2, each movie was specifically about the Marvel superhero in the title. We're now at the point where every film is basically an Avengers film, where everybody appears anyways for no apparent reason. I forgive Civil War to some extent because the original source material was a huge crossover event but really, when you're introducing new and unrelated characters like Spider-Man in what is supposed to be the concluding film of an overall trilogy and arc concerning Captain America you should be stepping back and asking, "Why are we doing this again?"

Jumeira

Banned
It's trash, found it to be extremely boring, lacked a good Villian and the ending made the whole thing seem pointless. Airfield fight was shite too, a few scuffles here and there. Oh no, Avengers are going to split, how are we going to manage. Jesus.

"Why are we introducing Spider-Man in a movie named Captain America: Civil War?" is a question that SOMEONE at Marvel should have asked.

The MCU in general is becoming increasing overstuffed with every new entry, I liked that in Phase 2, each movie was specifically about the Marvel superhero in the title. We're now at the point where every film is basically an Avengers film, where everybody appears anyways for no apparent reason. I forgive Civil War to some extent because the original source material was a huge crossover event but really, when you're introducing new and unrelated characters like Spider-Man in what is supposed to be the concluding film of an overall trilogy and arc concerning Captain America you should be stepping back and asking, "Why are we doing this again?"

Because it's a universe with other people in it?

He's in the movie for less than ten minutes and contributes to the core point of the entire narrative.

xxracerxx

It's trash, found it to be extremely boring, lacked a good Villian and the ending made the whole thing seem pointless. Airfield fight was shite too, a few scuffles here and there. Oh no, Avengers are going to split, how are we going to manage. Jesus.

Zemo was the most effective villain yet, he actually saw his plan through. I really liked what they did with his character.

Even if they waited 10 years, it wouldn't work unless they added a metric shit ton of superheroes to the MCU that did not reveal their identities.

Also, by then you probably will not have Downey and Evans.
it would never be on the scale of the source material, but in a few years if they did everything right including involving the netflix heroes, the scale would've would've been bigger than the adaptation we got

xxracerxx

it would never be on the scale of the source material, but in a few years if they did everything right including involving the netflix heroes, the scale would've would've been bigger than the adaptation we got

C'est la vie, we got this version and it was done well in my mind.

First people complained about solo movies not having any Avenger involvement and they feel too self-contained, now people are complaining about solo movies involving the Avengers? This was going to happen sooner or later, especially when you have to think about how to progress arcs from here on out.

I thought Civil War did an excellent job having a Steve Rogers-centric story even with so many Marvel characters, and many plotlines to juggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom