• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John McCain has Brain Cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0w

Old Member
Oh shit, that's the worst kind of cancer. I wish him all the luck in the world, even if we are on opposite sides of the political spectrum.

Do we all look like fucking fortune tellers to you or what? Nobody knew then, man.

So it's okay to wish vile shit on people you disagree with as long as it doesn't actually happen? Don't try to pull the 'but we didn't knoooooow' card. If you wish bad shit on people, own it. Or, I dunno, don't do it in the first place.

VariantX

Cancer is shit man. Had to sit and watch my stepdad waste away and die from lung cancer. I'll root for him to come out on top against this bout with cancer.

Spacebar

Nah he went in for a blood clot on his eye and that's probably when they noticed it.

I find it really hard to believe no one in his family/friends circle watched his Comey interview and thought he was just fine. Pretty much everyone saw he must have been on meds or something was wrong. He needed to see a doctor asap.

I don't feel bad for my sentiments at all. Sucks he has cancer, but sucks even more he's fallen in line with a white supremacist and is hell-bent on stripping insurance from millions.

You're free to feel sorry for him despite that, though.

My level of deplorableness pales in comparison to that.

He was also the one who brought the Trump dossier to Comey...I hate, HATE some of the votes he's made, especially for DeVos, but I also don't think we should forget that he was one of the key factors in the dossier getting recognition and helping fuel Trump resistance.

Damn.

I have very little respect for the man, personally, given he utterly sold himself out after George Bush creamed him in 2000, but as a soon-to-be nurse, the reality is many divisions, even very important ones, fall away when people are considered at the most basic, unifying level that is the body.

I hope he has enjoyed his time on Earth and gets to make the most of the time he has left.

So it's okay to wish vile shit on people you disagree with as long as it doesn't actually happen? Don't try to pull the 'but we didn't knoooooow' card. If you wish bad shit on people, own it. Or, I dunno, don't do it in the first place.
I don't know. Does that person have a hard on for stripping healthcare from millions, dooming them to death or bankruptcy? Does he have access to great healthcare despite still wanting to take it from others?

Shauni

I mean, it sucks for him and his family, but I'm not going to pretend to feel a lot of grief for him. I respected him a lot in 2008 when he spoke out against all the crazy shit that was being said about Obama (arab, birhter, etc), but he also nominated Sarah Palin for cheap policy, indirectly opening up and legitimatizing the hard-right part of the party, and he, like many of the 'old guard' Republicans sat by with grimacing faces as their party was taken over by the Tea Party and just went along with it. So, people can be 'disgusted' about snide remarks about him now that we know he has cancer, but I've got no love for him. Maybe he was a great man once, but he was just as complicit in what his party became and is doing, or trying to do anyway, as all the others. I wish the best for his family, but no crocodile tears from me. Sorry.

Cotton is from Arkansas, Jeff Flake is the other AZ senator and is a moderate, Trump hates him.

Oh right, my bad, got Arkansas and Arizona totally mixed up.

Tommy DJ

Nasty way to go and it does explain a lot of his strange behaviour in recent times. I'm a little more sympathetic to his general inability to do anything but follow the mere party line but its a sign that he should have stepped down a long time ago.

I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone and hope he recovers.

However, getting sick doesn't erase all the nasty shit's someone's done in his or her life. He still wanted to deprive millions of other people of their health care. We can also point out his hypocrisy in receiving premier medical treatment yet not wanting to afford other people the same right.

Illness and death don't retroactively make someone a good person.

Exactly. I'm not all of the sudden let the suffering of McCain make me forget that the same man wanted to wrought suffering to millions because he was too cowardly, despite this being his last term serving under a president who did nothing but insult him throughout the years, to do the right thing for once.

This news makes me more sympathetic/empathetic towards his inability and lack of cognitive consistency but it doesn't erase what this man tried to do.

Cancer is different. On another note have you yet finger wagged him for wanting to take healthcare away from 18+ million people yet?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
He is a public official who, along with his cronies, threatened to take away health benefits from the people who voted him into power. Death threats are obviously out of the question, but dude is not impervious from criticism just because it turned out he is as mortal as the rest of us.

antonz

Something prompted the scan that detected the clot. Could have been his strange behavior or a routine scan because of his history of cancer.

There was an news article a few days ago that mentioned how the clot surgery he had etc. was not something detected through normal routine medicine. That an event such as trouble speaking etc. likely led them to investigate and it pointed out that Russian hearing where he seemed so out of it as likely the event that triggered concern.

That's horrible. Hope he enjoys the time he has left... That's a tough one to beat at his age.

Maybe now we'll see a no-fucks-given country over party McCain.

Shauni

I find it really hard to believe no one in his family/friends circle watched his Comey interview and thought he was just fine. Pretty much everyone saw he must have been on meds or something was wrong. He needed to see a doctor asap.

As I already explained

There was something reported that the reason he was so incoherent at that hearing was because he had just gotten back from back-to-back flights to allies. Apparently, in the background, he'd been on an apology tour for Trump to several of our key allies that Trump has alienated. I mean, this might have something to do with it, too, but there was an explanation for why he was so out of it there.

There was a specific reason given for why McCain was so out of it during the Comey testimony. Remember the Jeff Sessions hearing just a month or so later? He was mostly fine there, or at least as fine as a tired 80 year old man, could be.

Strimei

Isn't prognosis for this form of cancer one of the more darker ones? Mix that with his age...

Yeah. From wikipedia:

Despite maximum treatment, the cancer usually recurs. The most common length of survival following diagnosis is 12 to 15 months with less than 3% to 5% of people surviving longer than five years.

Noobcraft

Isn't prognosis for this form of cancer one of the more darker ones? Mix that with his age...
Yeah. Glioblastomas are typically very aggressive, and neurodegenerative as they advance so things like speaking, fine motor skills, and personality tend to suffer.

Shauni

That's horrible. Hope he enjoys the time he has left... That's a tough one to beat at his age.

Maybe now we'll see a no-fucks-given country over party McCain.

You won't. He probably won't even be present, but even if he is, he won't. He had already announced that he wasn't going to run for another term when he won his last re-election, so there was really no reason for him to tow the party line now, but he did anyway. Regardless of what he was in the past, the man post-2008 became a party man to the bitter end, and that's how he'll remain.

Dude Abides

Banned
Was the blood clot not the real reason or did they discover this during that surgery.

Trump to tweet: "I like senators who don't get brain cancer."

KingV

Special election time?!

I hope he recovers, and wouldn't wish it on anybody... but, wouldn't mine picking up a Senate seat either

Everyone wishing him poor health when he had the eye surgery is walking it back fast now.

This is why you should always have empathy and compassion people.

Was the blood clot not the real reason or did they discover this during that surgery.

Trump to tweet: "I like senators who don't get brain cancer."

I was just thinking about how inevitable it feels that Trump will manage to say something stupid about this. I don't think it's beneath him to use this to make some completely irrelevant point about Obamacare.

Tommy DJ

Everyone wishing him poor health when he had the eye surgery is walking it back fast now.

This is why you should always have empathy and compassion people.

We're not really walking back on that but feel free to keep thinking that.

I still don't feel any grief if he dies. I honestly don't.

Yeah I feel for him. I really do. I don't understand how people made fun of him at the hearing, how he spoke wasn't normal, and his blood clot wasn't normal either.

Love and live the rest of your life, John. Godspeed.

Cotton is from Arkansas, Jeff Flake is the other AZ senator and is a moderate, Trump hates him.

lol Jeff Flake a moderate.

Having both senate seats potentially up during the same election in this state is going to be an absolute cluster from top to bottom. I cannot wait (for the election, not for McCain to potentially succumb to his disease).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom