• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John McCain has Brain Cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just thinking about how inevitable it feels that Trump will manage to say something stupid about this. I don't think it's beneath him to use this to make some completely irrelevant point about Obamacare.

Would not be surprised to have Trump claim - when McCain dies - that TrumpCare could have saved him.

Regardless, this is fucking horrible...but I hope he dedicates whatever time he has left in politics towards fighting to improve ACA so Americans get the same chances he does/did.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Sounds almost as bad as pancraeatic cancer. Hope it's painless and he has time to get affairs in order and have a bit of peace with his family.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah. Glioblastomas are typically very aggressive, and neurodegenerative as they advance so things like speaking, fine motor skills, and personality tend to suffer.

Radiotherapy for glioblastomas also causes seizures (because, duh, you're zapping someone's brain) and chronic seizures of course are associated with a variety of poor neurological outcomes, including memory loss. Also, at age 80 it's likely that he has neurological issues to begin with, given the relatively high rate of diagnosis of dementia at that age.

Honestly, just reading the thread title took my breath away.

Horrible news. I can't say I'm optimistic about a recovery from this, but I do hope he lives out his days with as little pain as possible. Best wishes to him and his family.

Kisaya

Which is precisely why people saying harsh stuff in the order thread was so damn deplorable.

Honestly if while he was healthy he stood up for the greater good of the people and used his very real power as a senior Republican senator to defy his party's hateful agenda, then yeah I would say that was pretty shitty for people to do. I find his actions in office, which were against basic human rights for people in this country, much more deplorable.

It sucks that cancer is the way he's gonna go, but I'm not going to put myself down about disliking him.

Fercho

I know that McCain has his shit , but i was watching some videos when he campaigned against Obama he was always respectful and the complete opposite from Trump. I hope he recovers.

Good luck to him and his family.

I had to do a double take when I saw his daughter mention his mother in her statement, though. Turns out she's 105. Wow.

Which is precisely why people saying harsh stuff in the order thread was so damn deplorable.
Nah. He has done some disgusting shit during his career in Washington and people hate him for it. Words are words, but this guy can and did fuck over so many people with his actual actions. Sucks that his family has to go through this, but he has nice, taxpayer paid for and government provided healthcare that will take care of any needs he may have.

Snaku

Banned
I mean, it sucks for him and his family, but I'm not going to pretend to feel a lot of grief for him. I respected him a lot in 2008 when he spoke out against all the crazy shit that was being said about Obama (arab, birhter, etc), but he also nominated Sarah Palin for cheap policy, indirectly opening up and legitimatizing the hard-right part of the party, and he, like many of the 'old guard' Republicans sat by with grimacing faces as their party was taken over by the Tea Party and just went along with it. So, people can be 'disgusted' about snide remarks about him now that we know he has cancer, but I've got no love for him. Maybe he was a great man once, but he was just as complicit in what his party became and is doing, or trying to do anyway, as all the others. I wish the best for his family, but no crocodile tears from me. Sorry

Pretty much how I feel about him. His actions in 2008 and beyond have forever tarnished my view of the man. He's responsible to varying degrees for the rise of the altright, and exreme obstructionism in congress. He's left us with a horrible legacy. I hope he doesn't suffer, but I'm not gonna cry for him.

I met a father and son when I was frequently at a hospital visiting a sick relative. They always looked sad, depressed, lack of sleep etc.

One day they decided to talk to me and opened up. It turns out the man's wife had brain cancer. She recently had brain surgery to remove it but she never woke up after the operation. They talked to multiple doctors and none of them could tell anything and they had no idea what to do. She might wake up any minute or she might never wake up. I overheard someone from the hospital pushing them toward hospice care when I left:(

When I hear brain cancer I think of that story. I can only wish for a full recovery.

McCain's part on an effort to strip healthcare from people with less money, so it's weird to admonish people for not hoping for the best for him but keep performing I guess

Dali

Everyone wishing him poor health when he had the eye surgery is walking it back fast now.

This is why you should always have empathy and compassion people.
Nah. Some people are pieces of shit that the world is better off with them gone.

Not saying that's how I feel about McCain. In the thread where everyone was watching the Comey testimony, i think i mentioned maybe he waa having a stroke.

Just saying blanket empathy and compassion is not something i believe in. You create a legacy as a blight on humanity then I think it's fair for people to celebrate your demise.

ElFly

I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone and hope he recovers.

However, getting sick doesn't erase all the nasty shit's someone's done in his or her life. He still wanted to deprive millions of other people of their health care. We can also point out his hypocrisy in receiving premier medical treatment yet not wanting to afford other people the same right.

Illness and death don't retroactively make someone a good person.

it still _wants_

it is still alive

stop antropomorphizing republicans

theWB27

Everyone wishing him poor health when he had the eye surgery is walking it back fast now.

This is why you should always have empathy and compassion people.

This still isnt a reason. Because not being able to tell the future isnt ac reason to feel sorry for people you don't feel sorry for.

The chest thumping yall are getting off this is admirable though.

Belker

If he is well enough to keep working, I wonder if this will change his position on Trump at all.

I assume that at 80, he would have been thinking about his legacy. I wonder if that will bring this into relief at all.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Fuck him. Fuck his party.

Enjoy your good healthcare asshole.

McCain has differing views from the left, but generally has not a bad person. He's not Trump. Not sure why you'd take it out on him by wishing him death.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Some truly disgusting sentiments expressed in this thread.

I hope that some of you are someday able to find peace. To live with such hatred day in and day out must be devastating.

I disagree with McCain on much, but I hope he is able to recover.

Biske

People look away from you in public, huh? It's okay.

Wow. Just wow. Are you serious? The dude has cancer for crying out loud.

Show me his strong support for not fucking over other people with cancer by fucking with their healthcare and medicaid.

Was he a solid no on any of the heartless proposed healthcare bills? If so I will gladly feel bad, otherwise he is a pretty willing cog in a machine desperately trying to fuck people with cancer.

Why the tears for him when he gets cancer?

Damaniel

Banned
Isn't prognosis for this form of cancer one of the more darker ones? Mix that with his age...

With glioblastoma, mean survival after diagnosis is generally measured in weeks or months, and the one year survival rate is something on the order of 5%. They'll treat it the best they can, but the prognosis is going to be very poor.

Also, glioblastoma explains his questioning of Comey quite a bit. Glioblastoma is quick and aggressive, and is often associated with changes in behavior, personality and cognition.

Cancer sucks.

Sulik2

I wish his family well, people dying of cancer is incredibly rough and trying on the whole family. I've lost three grandparents to it. It sucks.

Looking ahead though, how vulnerable is his district to a Democratic challenger?

McCain has differing views from the left, but generally has not a bad person. He's not Trump. Not sure why you'd take it out on him by wishing him death.
He's not evil, he just wants to strip healthcare from millions of people. Just a different opinion.

And he was willing to sit back while millions of others with cancer were going to be tossed out in the cold. Neither illness nor death can redeem a man's soul.

Who are you to determine what redeems a man's soul?

This still isnt a reason. Because not being able to tell the future isnt ac reason to feel sorry for people you don't feel sorry for.

The chest thumping yall are getting off this is admirable though.

People were actively wishing him to not recover in the last thread. It's one thing to not feel sorry for someone, another thing to actively root for them to stay unhealthy.

Noobcraft

Radiotherapy for glioblastomas also causes seizures (because, duh, you're zapping someone's brain) and chronic seizures of course are associated with a variety of poor neurological outcomes, including memory loss. Also, at age 80 it's likely that he has neurological issues to begin with, given the relatively high rate of diagnosis of dementia at that age.
Yep. Also having a growing mass in your brain moving stuff around isn't great. In a lab I worked in we did xenografts of patient derived GBMs into mice to test experimental chemotherapeutics. Occasionally the tumors would dissolve the skull of the mouse as they grew, and often started to grow outward. We had to euthanize a lot of mice when therapies didn't work well (most didn't). With no treatment they last 15-20 days.

zashga

Wow that sucks. I've been generally disappointed with McCain this past year with regards to him tolerating Trump's bullshit, but prior to that I always liked him. Sad to see him go out this way.

RinsFury

I can understand his anger. A lot of people stand to lose loved ones and have their own healthcare put at risk by what the republicans are trying to do.

I hope that some of you are someday able to find peace. To live with such hatred day in and day out must be devastating.

You'd be surprised when you're a minority who has to watch their back in fear. It's very easy to "not find" peace.

In any case, hope it's quick for his sake. It's certainly not gonna be cozy. Brain cancer at his age is oomph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom