• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Stewart is leaving The Daily Show "later this year"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody will ever get banned for The Faculty references on my watch.

It's a cult classic with fine performances by established actors like Josh Hartnett, Elijah Wood and Usher :p

o6MbTPy.gif

KingK

I've watched Stewart and Colbert almost every day for nearly 10 years. Losing both so close together hurts a lot.

I would say Asif Mandvi and Jessica Williams would be the best picks to replace. Jessica might be a little young to take over though. If Jon had stayed another couple years she'd probably be perfect.

HylianTom

Banned
I am wondering how many people here watched the Craig Kilborn edition of The Daily Show?
I watched it from the beginning. I was in college when it started. Kilborn was okay, but Stewart took it to another level, and there's a part of me that fears that I'll become one of those grumpy old men who focuses too much on how he misses the old days (kinda like older folks who miss Johnny Carson).

vikki

Damn, just watched tonight's episode where Jon confirmed the bad news. I miss Colbert enough as it is, but now this. Silucks, but as Jon stated, it's time for someone else gets a shot. I wonder which fresh face is going to take over.

Fugu

I've watched Stewart and Colbert almost every day for nearly 10 years. Losing both so close together hurts a lot.

I would say Asif Mandvi and Jessica Williams would be the best picks to replace. Jessica might be a little young to take over though. If Jon had stayed another couple years she'd probably be perfect.
Jessica Williams, young or not, is the funniest person working on that show right now (other than Jon) except for maybe Schaal, so I hope she gets it.

gabbo

I am wondering how many people here watched the Craig Kilborn edition of The Daily Show?

It wasn't all that different from his take on The Late Late Show if I remember correctly. That is to say, not worth remembering.
edit: Aasif or Jessica Williams as replacements would be great choices. You just know in th next couple weeks, they're going to have a correspondent-off skit where they all kick the shit out of each other to get the desk. Or they'll just tear into whoever takes over like they did with Oliver over the summer.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The thing I remember most from the Kilborn era was just how bad of an interviewer he was, that is why he had the 5 Questions gimmick with him at all times, to try and cover that up.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
It wasn't all that different from his take on The Late Late Show if I remember correctly. That is to say, not worth remembering

Yes, it was a very odd sense of humor.

The thing I remember most from the Kilborn era was just how bad of an interviewer he was, that is why he had the 5 Questions gimmick with him at all times, to try and cover that up.

I can't help but agree. I was trying to find a clip of Jon Stewart's first episode hosting the Daily Show and instead ended up with Kilborn interviewing Jon just before the switch. (To promote the Faculty!) To put it lightly, I do not approve of Kilborn-era Daily Show.

Was that five question thing commonplace? It is horrible. The entire segment felt like Jon was the one interviewing Kilborn...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

She's great but I'm not sure she's the best fit. They need someone with the comedic chops of Jessica Williams, but who can also completely make someone look like an utter moron in an interview. Right now, I don't think she fits. In three or four years from now? Totally. I just don't think the timing is the best if they want her to take over.

Part of me thinks they'll have Jon take a week off in a month or two and throw their five best candidates out there and see which one does the best job.

Fugu

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What about Bassem Yousef? Dude's a natural, had a similar show in Egypt and killed it there. Sharp as a tack and funny as balls.

markot

Banned

Jons a pretty terrible interviewer. (Does anyone actually care about that stuff? I hate interviews on late night shows. Stop hawking shit! Your not an infomercial!)

Colbert was ok because he was a character interviewing people generally.

Don't think any of the correspondents have the chops to do what Jon does. Which is fine, just don't call that show The Daily Show.

Don't hate on Kilborn. His style of deadpan mixed with absurdism is a rarity on TV, maybe only matched by the first couple of seasons of Family Guy. As far as pure comedy goes, I miss watching him on Late Night.

Amir0x

Banned
I love the man, but I don't care how many times he keeps insisting that he's a comedian. At some point during Bush's reign, he became the only honest political pundit in America. Now he's free to do it "in the open"

Maybe more political movies, though Rosewater was very flat.

You can be a comedian and still be that though. I mean, it's sort of a testament to that quality that his show is what it is and yet you still came to that conclusion. Must be doing something right, no?

I mean Jon Stewart is a comedian, that's what he does and where he feels most comfortable. But he is also adept at merging that comedy with relevant political quips. If he dumps Daily Show, it's not going to be to be some random political pundit. He's either going to get another, longer show for more money, go full blast into directing, or find some other high paying outlet for his unique mix of talents... he's not going to become some MSNBC panelist or something hehe.

I just hope he does not go full into directing or acting because frankly the evidence so far shows he is not particularly good at either ;P

And whichever path he chooses to go full time, it's going to be laced with Jon's trademark sense of humour. It's what he has always done since he was a teenager, he's not going to stop now I imagine.

Yeef

Jason Jones seems like the obvious choice to take over to me, but I also get the sense that Jason Jones doesn't really have any interest in being in the spotlight.

This news is surprisingly upsetting. It makes me feel old. It makes me dread having to live in a world without the daily Stewart/Colbert hour. The Colbert wound is too fresh. Ughhhhh

I don't even have cable anymore either. It's not like I ever even watch The Daily Show when I'm not out traveling and staying in a hotel.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Jason Jones seems like the obvious choice to take over to me, but I also get the sense that Jason Jones doesn't really have any interest in being in the spotlight.

I feel like Jason should be doing something but for the life of me I don't know what it is

Amir0x

Banned
Anyway let's share some of our favorite Daily Show moments that encapsulated why Jon Stewart became such a staple in our homes.

I already mentioned two before:

1. Jon Stewart's first show back from 9/11 - The humour was stripped bare and he just said the simple truth everyone felt. It's not that it was complicated or profound. It's that what he said was authentic and you knew it. On par with David Letterman's reaction.

2. Jon Stewart is rendered speechless over the non-indictment in Eric Garner case - Sometimes there are things that are so self-evidently fucked up that it's hard to know how this happens side by side in a supposed rational and civilized country. This reaction represents what many of us felt... anger and confusion and why.

3. When Jon Stewart went after Bill De Blasio's approach to eating Pizza - All New Yorkers know the problem here. Jon Stewart's hilariously straightforward attack on De Blasio's pizza eating ways though just was gut splittingly funny in action.

4. Jon Stewart's Indecision 2000 - was the first time comedic coverage of a Presidential Election seemed more relevant than the 24 hour news networks themselves. The sheer absurdity of it all was never more perfectly highlighted than Jon Stewart's genuine shock at how this is even possible in a modern country.

5. Jon Stewart vs. Betsy McCaughey - Remember the conspiracy about death penalties, living wills and abject nonsense that almost single handedly derailed the health care debate as Obama sat idly like a fucking moron letting this nonsense criticism accumulate until it literally almost destroyed his entire signature health care proposal? Yeah, Betsy McCaughey was the person who started that. And Jon Stewart eviscerated her.

6. Jon Stewart illustrates the nuttery of Glenn Beck-isms with Glenn Beck-isms - I rarely laughed as hard at the show as I did when Jon Stewart broke out the black board and began to deconstruct Glenn Beck's intentionally misleading brand of conspiracy nuttery. Glenn Beck knows what he does and why he does it, he admits it's an act. But only Jon Stewart was so effective at illustrating the type of damage this act does, through humour.

7. Jon Stewart vs. Jim Cramer - this feud was hilarious from the get-go, with both taking shots at each other through the show. But when Jon Stewart took Jim Cramer to task on the show, the sheer level of incompetence on Cramer's part almost made one feel bad for the dude. It was like seeing an ugly snowman melt before your eyes.

8. Jon Stewart vs. Bill O'Reilly, The Rumble 2012 - I'm a little unsure whether this should count, since it was related to a Daily Show debate challenge but obviously due to the format gave both sides way longer time to articulate their answers than usual. When Jon Stewart called O'Reilly the king of shit mountain though, you knew you were watching Gold. The debate wasn't particularly in depth stuff, but it was comedy gold. Their back-and-forth friendly feud is long term, but this was the peak.

9. Jon Stewart vs. War on Christmas - Also related to O'Reilly, Jon Stewart underlined perfectly in one simple attack on the absurdity of politically reactionary nonsense why the level of discourse in this country has gone so wildly off track. He deflated the attack for the irrational garbage it was, eviscerated those who were pushing it as intellectually bankrupt frauds and made the entire thing anathema to even discuss. Then he got O'Reilly on the show to embarrass him further. At least O'Reilly is a good sport ;P

10. Jon Stewart attacks BP and Obama's address to the Nation - This to me illustrates the crossover appeal he could have. Jon Stewart throughout this crisis was particularly critical of Obama's half-measures and stating of the obvious with less regard on practical matters at times, but his entire attack on BP and Obama was a hilarious thing to behold start to finish. Party lines don't matter when you're wrong.

What about Bassem Yousef? Dude's a natural, had a similar show in Egypt and killed it there. Sharp as a tack and funny as balls.

New face.
Experienced satirist.
Inspired by The Daily Show
Smart.
Funny.
Charismatic.
Currently has his face on The Daily Show website, front and center.

Man, I'm really leaning towards this.

Amir0x

Banned
My issue is I'm not sure Bassem Yousef has the emotional center Jon Stewart did. I'm not aware of any moments of emotional maturity displayed when he discussed some of the more intense and complicated political stories of the day. And I sort of think that is important for a true contender for the crown.

I like the guy, just not sure he can fill what I think is one of the most important roles Jon Stewart played. That emotional center grounded all Jon stewart's work, because it felt incredibly authentic.

It would be really great if after he leaves Comedy Central they put up an archive of the entirety of his run along with The Colbert Report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom