• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Blow Criticizes MS’s Claim of Increasing Servers to 300K, Calls It A Lie!

madmackem

Isn't this guy making Witness and shit?

Honestly why would he even care man, game looked like ass. Could be done on my 3 year old GPU.

Wtf has that got to do with anything, is he not to call out bs if he thinks its bs, whats him making a game got to do with anything.

nib95

Banned
Microsoft has been spewing BS non stop for damage control. Infinite power of the cloud, 200Gbps bandwidth etc etc.

test_account

XP-39C²
Isn't this guy making Witness and shit?

Honestly why would he even care man, game looked like ass. Could be done on my 3 year old GPU.
The Winess is more of an indie game, it is not a next-gen game with 100+ developers behind it. Personally i think that the Witness looks great, at least from what i've seen from it so far.

The 360 mini is said to allow BC on the X1 hardware.
True, but be dont know if such product will be released, or if it even excisted in the first place. I will be very surprised if Microsoft actually releases an Xbox 360 without any disc drive (which is what the Xbox 360 Mini is rumored not to have).

ymmv

Banned
To be fair, there's no way all of Azure will be available for the XbOne, and hence their claim of 300,000 servers is questionable as a result. (I'm not entirely convinced Azure has 300,000 real servers in the first place).

Another thing, will there be 300,000 servers available for launch? And will that number grow linearly with the number of Xbox One clients? Or is that the total number of servers after five, six or seven years?

Wtf has that got to do with anything, is he not to call out bs if he thinks its bs, whats him making a game got to do with anything.

Context goes a long way. This guy has been harping on Xbox One's hardware for a while, it has reached the point where I ask myself "Why does this guy care so much?".

Also if he thinks it's bullshit, show it don't simply come up with a theory in your couch and start calling out lies.

test_account

XP-39C²
Context goes a long way. This guy has been harping on Xbox One's hardware for a while, it has reached the point where I ask myself "Why does this guy care so much?".

Also if he thinks it's bullshit, show it don't simply come up with a theory in your couch and start calling out lies.
Havnt he only made some tweets about it? It might seems bigger because it gets spread to news sites and being posted on forums etc..

maeh2k

People just love criticizing MS for basically everything they do or say without any facts whatsoever. MS is just one of those companies people are generally suspicious of (much like Facebook).

Outside of MS no one knows what kind of hardware they are using for those XBL servers. Why couldn't they run 300.000 servers?

The way I see it, they probably didn't want to remove the revenue source that is XBL Gold and instead of offering everything for free, like Sony, they opted to improve it and are trying to make Gold worthy of the subscription fee.
Don't they have like 20 million people paying XBL Gold subscriptions? That's like a billion dollars in revenues a year. I reckon they can afford 300.000 actual servers...

Protome

Man, this dude can't get over it, right?

Get over MS lying? Yeah.
To be fair, if they started being more honest and not saying such obvious lies and half-truths then there wouldn't be a problem.

Mainly the "Using the cloud will make your Xbox One more powerful" statement is a massive lie.

That will depend of what the Mini is. If it a console or an add-on?

I don't really consider that a major difference. It's just extra money to buy something you already own in order to play it with the new controller.

nib95

Banned
He seems pissy at something.

Maybe he tried get MS to fund and publish the Witness and they didn't bother.

He's said in numerous interviews he's not really big on focusing on profits etc, is more about the games. He's implied that Microsoft is the opposite, and that Sonys approach is different. He probably just had a hard time working with Microsoft in the past, and all this DRM and cloud nonsense kind of reconfirms his opinions.

ReaperXL7

Its interesting. I dont know if it will have any meaningful impact really, but this whole thing has been an absolute disaster for Microsoft. I mean when it comes down to it positive media write up can help in the perception of a console, but in my experience almost everyone that I know who would be considered casual gets their knowledge, and interest in buying from Me, or those in my circle of friends that are into gaming.

Xbox became a thing because the Core adopted it when it first came out, and then it built overtime by people seeing what it could do, word of mouth, and the fact that thats where allot of peoples friends were.

Seeing the reactions throughout the week has been very similar to thr reactions to Sony after they decided to fuck up the PS3 launch with all of the terrible PR, and Smug arrogance. The indie stuff just seems another issue to throw inti it, because even if Microsoft is doing something for indies its pretty clear they are not reaching out to that community with some rare exceptions. Its crazy to think Microsoft did not plan for these questions to be asked because if they did they woukd have had a better way to address it, but I suspect MS was going to try and tell us how benevolent they are to try and sell their games to the same person multiple times.

I will say that its abit funny thay Phil Harrison is present in both cases.

Satchel

Banned
He's said in numerous interviews he's not really big on focusing on profits etc, is more about the games. He's implied that Microsoft is the opposite, and that Sonys approach is different. He probably just had a hard time working with Microsoft in the past, and all this DRM and cloud nonsense kind of reconfirms his opinions.

I just think if he wasn't pissy/salty/what have you, he wouldn't go out of his way to bad mouth them.

He'd just praise Sony and be done with it.

He seems upset at Microsoft for a very specific reason. Would love to know what it is.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Blow's been critical of Microsoft since Braid came out, so I doubt there's any kind of vendetta over a devkit rejection here.

I'm aware of that, and I didn't say he was acting out because of Microsoft's poor communication in recent times, but rather due to the abrasive history between the two it would appear that Microsoft isn't interested in working with him.

It doesn't matter how many servers they have. This cloud computing to increase power 40 times is bullshit and used as a cover for their lack of superior hardware to the PS4. I feel sorry for anyone who buys into this.

QaaQer

Yes yes, berate the guy who's got more programming skills that you.

ya, the narcissism and ego in forums is astounding sometimes.

If they tried that shit to someone like Blow's face, they would look like the uneducated blowhard marks they are in a matter of seconds. But of course, face to face most people don't act like arrogant assholes.

entremet

Get over MS lying? Yeah.
To be fair, if they started being more honest and not saying such obvious lies and half-truths then there wouldn't be a problem.

Mainly the "Using the cloud will make your Xbox One more powerful" statement is a massive lie.

I don't really consider that a major difference. It's just extra money to buy something you already own in order to play it with the new controller.

Either way, what proof does he have? It just seems petty and sour grapes to me.

Protome

It doesn't matter how many servers they have. This cloud computing to increase power 40 times is bullshit and used as a cover for their lack of superior hardware to the PS4. I feel sorry for anyone who buys into this.

They could maybe do it if they only sell a handful of consoles.
Which are all connected up to faster internet connections than currently exist.

QaaQer

I just think if he wasn't pissy/salty/what have you, he wouldn't go out of his way to bad mouth them.

He seems upset at Microsoft for a very specific reason. Would love to know what it is.

He said already: he hates when corporations lie to their customers. Or do you think Ballmer knocked up his daughter or something.

nib95

Banned

The reasons I just mentioned, plus the way Microsoft has been dealing with indies lately, even down to store coverage and promotions etc.

EagleEyes

Let's see your numbers that end this discussion once and for all, then.
You do know who you quoted right? Why waste your time with individuals that slant so far to one side. You try to to get someone like that to provide facts and they will just deflect, dodge and counter with something else. Just a waste of time imo.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm waiting for MS to show it off, so far they haven't.
Even if the tech allows for some of the claims that have been made, I doubt that many developers can do it right. We've all seen how terrible matchmaking and netcodes still are. Barely anyone gets it right. This is magnitudes more complicated and a nightmare for multiplatform titles.
They have to show it.

lol @ those thinking a virtual server is somehow less than a physical one. If it is configured with the same specs it is actually much more efficient use of resources.

16 ms = Time of a frame in a game running at 60fps.
33 ms = Time of a frame in a game running at 30fps.

Go to speedtest.net with your computer and check your ping. Note that if you have your computer wired into your router, you need to add some extra ms of the latency of the wifi.

AkuMifune

Banned
I'm just glad so many people are worked up about Microsoft right now.

every time I forget I'm mad at them someone else gets me riled up again.

Nintendo and Microsoft shitting the bed. What an amazing and entertaining disaster this gen is shaping up to be!

oh by the way, Microsoft thinks the cloud means the cloud of smoke hanging around dudebro420xxx gamer.

the cloud, man. Makes games like 49x better.

nullset2

WBdUqdc.jpg

oldergamer

It's only mildly interesting that Jblow doesn't and hasn't called out Sony for the cloud based backwards compatibility bull shit from the PS4 unveiling.

only mildly interesting...

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
How can Blow know for sure that MS don't have this amount of servers?

Sure, it is a lot but it can be a mix of both?

MS is a company that makes 1 billion+ dollars in profit every month, there are resources and there has always been resources to build up to this amount.

But yeah, it comes down to how Blow can be sure. It looks more like that he also wants to have some attention.. It blows to be Blow..

How can Blow know for sure that MS don't have this amount of servers?

Sure, it is a lot but it can be a mix of both?

MS is a company that makes 1 billion+ dollars in profit every month, there are resources and there has always been resources to build up to this amount.

But yeah, it comes down to how Blow can be sure. It looks more like that he also wants to have some attention.. It blows to be Blow..

I'm sure you know more than he does.

CoG

Who gives a shit how many servers MS has? All the cloud in the world is going to do fuck all for graphics/physics/etc. Seriously, memory bandwidth is measured in gigabytes per second. You really think your 10 megabit cable modem is going to compete?

nib95

Banned
It's only mildly interesting that Jblow doesn't and hasn't called out Sony for the cloud based backwards compatibility bull shit from the PS4 unveiling.

only mildly interesting...

Gaikai and Onlive already have online game streaming. It's been around for a while. Game streaming and local game rendering are two entirely different things. Please do some research.

GorillaJu

Blow is that person who broke up with somebody, got with someone new, and can't stop trash talking their ex.

He was stuck in a bad relationship and couldn't get out because he thought he couldn't do better, but then he found a free spirited new gf and he now realizes how shitty his prior relationship was.

JCizzle

People just love criticizing MS for basically everything they do or say without any facts whatsoever. MS is just one of those companies people are generally suspicious of (much like Facebook).

Outside of MS no one knows what kind of hardware they are using for those XBL servers. Why couldn't they run 300.000 servers?

The way I see it, they probably didn't want to remove the revenue source that is XBL Gold and instead of offering everything for free, like Sony, they opted to improve it and are trying to make Gold worthy of the subscription fee.
Don't they have like 20 million people paying XBL Gold subscriptions? That's like a billion dollars in revenues a year. I reckon they can afford 300.000 actual servers...

How much do you think it would cost to purchase (up front), then power, maintain and staff that number of servers? A whole fucking lot most likely. I think it's improbable they mean 300k physical servers and most likely are just tossing around absolute bullshit like they have been this whole launch fiasco.

Top Bottom