• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Blow On The Berkeley/Milo Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
he's not a monster for holding that view.

But nazis need a good teeth cracking. It's absolutely OK to beat the ever loving shit out of Nazis, it's the only thing they learn from.

JaggedSac

Can someone link me to some of Milo's more incendiary stuff? Something that makes him look like a real piece of shit. Something preferably in long form, not a picture with a quote on it.

The creator of this thread apparently learned nothing from the previous thread where all of this was already discussed and he or she links to Breitbart reporters to corroborate his criticism of protests against a hipster nazi

A Nazi and a hipster? Disgusting.

hoserx

Can someone link me to some of Milo's more incendiary stuff? Something that makes him look like a real piece of shit. Something preferably in long form, not a picture with a quote on it.

If you, on your own, have developed the opinion that he is a piece of shit, you should already have that information in hand. If not, it means you think that because you heard it from someone else.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
He must not be very principled if he's willing to abandon his left wing ideals because he doesn't like how some people are acting in that name.
Yup. Disagreeing with methods is one thing, no longer identifying with the goals is another. :I no longer believe in UHC because these people don't want Nazis to have a platform' is a copout and a half. Makes me think he was not that much of a leftie to begin with if that's what it takes for him to abandon his ideals.

fuck free speech, fuck milo and fuck trump

in a perfect world people in america would drag trump out of the white house and put some rope around his orange neck
I dislike Trump and all these alt-right jerks too but advocating lynching? What the hell is wrong with you? We don't murder people who think differently and this militant mentality is scary on both sides.

Audioboxer

People who are advocating for violence are just children with tempers. I don't give a child what they want when they throw a tantrum, just like nobody gives me what I want when I throw a tantrum. If people on the left don't understand this then our message get lost completely.

It's easy to go on a forum and say you'll be punching, assaulting and attacking people, it's not so easy to do it "IRL" considering 99% of this forum will care about their incomes (jobs), education (if at Uni), family (if providing for one) and ultimately, rights, as in no one wants to go to prison/be sued.

Therefore, treat it as people letting off steam/being angry. Not actually tens if not hundreds of posters going around physically attacking anyone because they outright say they are going to, or allude to it through memes or images. There's clearly legal lines between self-defense and being the aggressor yourself, and I'd give the benefit of the doubt to the majority of posters on GAF that they know this.

As for Blow, he posts on GAF so if he wants I'm sure he can come in and expand on his points in here. I doubt it, though, given the animosity. We'll see. I mean, he should be up for the challenge if he wants to be public with his thoughts.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What do you call people advocating racial supremacy that won't listen to reason?

Are you actually advocating for going out and shooting people because they are racial supremacists?

The thing with violence and extremism is that, if you take it out of the bottle its hard to put it back in.

If you turn to that, there's no limit afterward, even if you say its in response to something even more heinous.

We have other ways of fighting back against a neofascist government than completely destroying our own 'moral standing', and giving trump an excuse to bring out the military to crack down, possibly ending in much more death and a much darker turn for this country

How about from his own Wikipedia page?
While Yiannopoulos is gay, he has stated that gay rights are detrimental to humanity, and that gay men should "get back in the closet".[99] He has described being gay as "aberrant" and "a lifestyle choice guaranteed to bring [gay people] pain and unhappiness".[100] He has said that he would love to experiment with conversion therapy, but not because he thinks it will work.[101]

I agree completely with Jonathan Blow. Not only is violence and destruction wrong in and of itself, but it is not going to be effective. Effective at cancelling individual events, sure; but not effective at silencing Milo and CERTAINLY not effective at ending the kind of thinking he preaches. In fact it has the opposite effect, it just convinces people that liberals are insane hypocrites desperate to stifle free speech.

mp1990

Banned
It's easy to go on a forum and say you'll be punching, assaulting and attacking people, it's not so easy to do it "IRL" considering 99% of this forum will care about their incomes (jobs), education (if at Uni), family (if providing for one) and ultimately, rights, as in no one wants to go to prison/be sued.

Therefore, treat it as people letting off steam/being angry. Not actually tens if not hundreds of posters going around physically attacking anyone because they outright say they are going to, or allude to it through memes or images. There's clearly legal lines between self-defense and being the aggressor yourself, and I'd give the benefit of the doubt to the majority of posters on GAF that they know this.

As for Blow, he posts on GAF so if he wants I'm sure he can come in and expand on his points in here. I doubt it, though, given the animosity. We'll see.

i'm pretty sure he's already posting here:

So that makes it fair game to call one of the most prominent indie game developers, who has a reputation for making mind-bending, complex and sophisticated puzzle games "a dude who has no knowledge of anything"? On the neogaf gaming forum, not OT, mind you.

Hey, how about you guys give up your home address so those guys over at Berkeley can come smash up your shit? I wonder how you'd be talking then.

Riots CAN be an effective way to enact change, I won't disagree with that. But riots at every fucking turn? Riots when some toxic dweeb comes speak at a university? Are you kidding me? Get off Neogaf and go protest that asshole.

Boke1879

Was that shooter defended by people he ideologically identifies with? If not then there probably was no real reason for him to speak up.

But something like this that Blow admits he knows littl about makes him jump up and talk? He literally said he doesn't know much about Milo but decided to make this post.

Takyon

cap-punching-hitler-630x387-1464367261.jpg

While we all want to go punch Nazi's its part of their plan. If they can make opposition look like a bunch of violent crazy people it just gives them free reign. They call us out as if we are some sort of monsters trying to take away their freedom of speech and such. Also when their members do something violent they just point the finger back. Its painfully obvious.. this is Milos whole plan.
This is legit what the original Nazi's did back before they got into power. Provoking attacks in order to align themselves with the police and justify violent retaliation.
entirely different context, but still bears some similarities with the present situation.

As for Blow, he posts on GAF so if he wants I'm sure he can come in and expand on his points in here. I doubt it, though, given the animosity. We'll see.

I fully expect Blow to post in this topic without reading anything prior to his comment. Would perfectly align with how he handled his facebook post. Bonus points for false analogies.

Boke1879

Hey, how about you guys give up your home address so those guys over at Berkeley can come smash up your shit? I wonder how you'd be talking then.

Riots CAN be an effective way to enact change, I won't disagree with that. But riots at every fucking turn? Riots when some toxic dweeb comes speak at a university? Are you kidding me? Get off Neogaf and go protest that asshole.

Who said riots at every turn? A toxic dweeb that endangers people's lives.

And why would I have to worry about my house getting torn up? I'm not inviting facists and people with Nazi like beliefs to my house.

ClarkZuckerberg

Neo Member
People really need to stop throwing the word Nazi around, it minimizes the 6 million people that were murdered in WW II. If you want people to take you seriously you'll stop saying the sky is falling the sky is falling when 7 Muslim majority countries out of 40 were banned for a temporary time. It's not a ban on Muslims, it's a ban on 7 countries that have terrorist links. 33 countries with Muslims as the majority can still get into the USA. Whether or not it'll actually stop any terrorism remains to be seen, but did I miss the news where Trump murdered someone in the street? I honestly just don't see what he's done that is anywhere even close to what Nazis did. When and if Trump really does something horrifying, it's just going to be a "boy who cried wolf" scenario.

man fucking richard spencer tweeted this yesterday

there are no space for debate with NAZIS, i don't wanna know how much clear this must get for liberals to understand
So a couple of people punched some people who side with Nazi’s and call for the deaths of entire groups of people so you decided to start rounding people up in concentration camps as punishment?

Because that sounds understandable and not just an excuse to openly state your true feelings…..

Machina

Banned
I fully expect Blow to post in this topic without reading anything prior to his comment. Would perfectly align with how he handled his facebook post. Bonus points for false analogies.

Now I'm hoping he does come in here and say something. If nothing else, it would make for an interesting response given how gamers like to deify him

Milo spoke at my university not even a week after we had an indicident in the Student Ticket Exchange Facebook group where one student threw racial epithets at another black student and threatened to kill him and his family. Milo went on to defend this man's right to not only say this but to threaten violence so, yeah these guys can eat fists. No sympathy.

Fliesen

he's not a monster for holding that view.

But nazis need a good teeth cracking. It's absolutely OK to beat the ever loving shit out of Nazis, it's the only thing they learn from.

nobody is calling him a monster. He's just very naively and condescendingly whitesplaining how a perfect world should be handling the rise of an American autocracy, creating all kinds of weird hypthetical strawmen like "what if we replace 'fascists' with ...", when we're talking about actual fascists and white supremacists.

The admission that he has no idea about the atrocities, vitriol and hatred that Milo propagates, makes this long-ass facebook post even weirder :/
Like, at least do your homework before you start schooling people.

"I have no idea what this Milo guy says or does exactly, and i totally disagree with Trump in every which way possible ... but seriously, you guys are the worst"

Are you actually advocating for going out and shooting people because they are racial supremacists?

The thing with violence and extremism is that, if you take it out of the bottle its hard to put it back in.

If you turn to that, there's no limit afterward, even if you say its in response to something even more heinous.

We have other ways of fighting back against a neofascist government than completely destroying our own 'moral standing', and giving trump an excuse to bring out the military to crack down, possibly ending in much more death and a much darker turn for this country

Umm, no? Where in the world did I advocate violence? Did you miss this post?

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=229631957

Not even sure how you jumped to that conclusion. It's just funny to see people try to protect fascists who believe in things like white supremacy, extreme nationalism, curbing civil liberties, etc. You're acting like I'm out here telling people to punch racists in the face (even though they deserve it) or that there's this epidemic of violent leftist protests.

Right, freedom to say all the crap you wish. I'm glad to live in a country where you'll go in jail for calling someone with the n-word or any racist slur in public.

JaggedSac

If you, on your own, have developed the opinion that he is a piece of shit, you should already have that information in hand. If not, it means you think that because you heard it from someone else.

Nothing in that statement I wrote offers my opinion of the man. From context(this and other threads) it seems like there would be something out there that crystalizes why he is so reviled. I would like to read that.

Ah, yeah, let the dude who was gonna tour colleges, naming and shaming migrant students and encouraging attendees to call ICE on them have his say. Let the guy who got banned from Twitter for repeatedly calling a woman an ape air his thoughts.

Jesus Christ. Enjoy that $40 for The Witness, Blow, 'cause that's the last you'll get from me.

He must not be very principled if he's willing to abandon his left wing ideals because he doesn't like how some people are acting in that name.

Exactly. That's the worst part of his rant together with his admittance of not knowing who the fuck milo is and what he stands for.

Blow, come on.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
For the most part I agree with Blow, though I would definitely still describe myself as left. Just because some who also identify as left behave in a bad way, I don't change my political opinion).

It may be clearly defined what a fascist is, but to identify humans as such is a more difficult matter. And being of a different political opinion should never be reason enough to be violent. If Milo or anyone else harasses people - and I think in this sense, the US' view on freedom of speech is to broad - he should be prosecuted, but in a lawful way. If you start to protest against people, not even people of power, but ordinary people, in a violent way to take their voice away. This way you may make yourself feel better, but I seriously doubt anyone will say "Oh, so if those people violently protest against another person who just wants to speak, then they must have a more rational view of the world". In political discourse it should be your aim to convince people on the fence of an idea, not to threaten people for having the wrong ideas. The latter position will backfire, if you do not happen to be incredibly powerful (and even then it might prove problematic).

The most painful part of the next few years is convincing the white moderate that, unless they make a little room in their heads for retaliatory violence, their world is going to get a whole lot smaller a whole lot faster.

He's not going to get illegally detained at an airport. But if he and everyone else like him stops with this lovey-dovey "talk to the militarised close-minded!" historically-proven-to-be-utterly-useless nonsense, maybe a lot more won't be.

GLAMr

I honestly didn't know who this Milo guy was until I saw this news item. When I looked him up, the first thing I read was that he knowingly outed a transexual individual. I have no sympathy for somebody who would knowingly out an LBGT+ person. He has recklessly endangered the life of another human being for fame and wealth.

Maybe we should fight fire with fire and start outing Klan members?

GlamFM

Banned
Giving up on some of your values while fighting for your values is probably not the right approach.

Blow is right in that regard.

But people are panicking right now and for a good reason.

The country that once stood for "freedom" is being turned to a modern dictatorship at a shockingly fast pace.

The feeling that you can´t do anything about that probably turns into aggression and that´s understandable.

Being German and seeing the development from the outside (being able to see a lot of parallels to our history) I still feel the anger in me every time I look at the news in the morning.

Everything is horrible.

Cday

Banned
Wow a completely rational thought. Indeed he must not be very far left. He's really going to be on the "wrong side of history" if he doesn't get right to beating people with different worldviews or scream anyone with anything else to say down with vitriolic and unfounded slogans. If only the latter were all that was going on across the country.

hoserx

Nothing in that statement I wrote offers my opinion of the man. From context(this and other threads) it seems like there would be something out there that crystalizes why he is so reviled. I would like to read that.

I suppose your usage of "piece of shit" is what made me think you already had an opinion made. I apologize if you were truly seeking information to create an opinion. If you want, I suggest viewing his youtube channel to see words unedited from the horse's mouth.

Zaph

The social contract ended when white nationalists took power, sorry.
An on-record white supremacist with apocalyptic world views is the closest person to the President, but some motherfuckers prioritise writing screeds about how minorities and queers should protest instigators of this shit.

Fuck them, fuck them all.

jay

The most painful part of the next few years is convincing the white moderate that, unless they make a little room in their heads for retaliatory violence, their world is going to get a whole lot smaller a whole lot faster.

Part of what's painful is hearing a bunch of white moderates pretend they are no longer part of the left because their understanding of the political spectrum comes from Saturday morning cartoon shows that teach Americans the left is all about peace and love.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
People really need to stop throwing the word Nazi around, it minimizes the 6 million people that were murdered in WW II. If you want people to take you seriously you'll stop saying the sky is falling the sky is falling when 7 Muslim majority countries out of 40 were banned for a temporary time. Whether or not it'll actually stop any terrorism remains to be seen, but did I miss the news where Trump murdered someone in the street? I honestly just don't see what he's done that is anywhere even close to what Nazis did. When and if Trump really does something horrifying, it's just going to be a "boy who cried wolf" scenario.
There are so many parallels to the rise of the Nazis happening now that it is the duty of anyone wanting the memory of WWII to not be in vain to speak up and act and suppress this thing. The best time to deal with it is before it gets out of hand.

Fliesen

For the most part I agree with Blow, though I would definitely still describe myself as left. Just because some who also identify as left behave in a bad way, I don't change my political opinion).

It may be clearly defined what a fascist is, but to identify humans as such is a more difficult matter. And being of a different political opinion should never be reason enough to be violent. If Milo or anyone else harasses people - and I think in this sense, the US' view on freedom of speech is to broad - he should be prosecuted, but in a lawful way. If you start to protest against people, not even people of power, but ordinary people, in a violent way to take their voice away. This way you may make yourself feel better, but I seriously doubt anyone will say "Oh, so if those people violently protest against another person who just wants to speak, then they must have a more rational view of the world". In political discourse it should be your aim to convince people on the fence of an idea, not to threaten people for having the wrong ideas. The latter position will backfire, if you do not happen to be incredibly powerful (and even then it might prove problematic).

that's one of these 'what if?' situations again and not at all what is happening here.

Milo is Breitbart's superstar. Steve Bannon is the founder of Breitbart. Steve Bannon is literally sitting in the oval office on a daily basis. Milo is not an "ordinary person". He's as close to being part of the current political establishment and "in power" as you can be without holding public office.

Giving up on some of your values while fighting for your values is probably not the right approach.

Blow is right in that regard.

But people are panicking right now and for a good reason.

The country that once stood for "freedom" is being turned to a modern dictatorship at a shockingly fast pace.

The feeling that you can´t do anything about that probably turns into aggression and that´s understandable.

Being German and seeing the development from the outside (being able to see a lot of parallels to our history) I still feel the anger in me every time I look at the news in the morning.

Everything is horrible.

this is a good post

Wow a completely rational thought. Indeed he must not be very far left. He's really going to be on the "wrong side of history" if he doesn't get right to beating people with different worldviews or scream anyone with anything else to say down with vitriolic and unfounded slogans. If only the latter were all that was going on across the country.
It's almost like he himself admitted that he doesn't know who milo is so stepping in to defend his views as simply "a difference of opinion" was very ignorant.

Gin-Shiio

Like I said the other day in OT, the concept of free speech as a human right is used to silence any discussion frequently, and that grows old rather quickly.
Yes, you are entitled to your opinion. No, that doesn't mean it's an opinion worth hearing. If that's your best justification, you know you are full of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom