• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Hickman’s New Avengers / Avengers |OT| Thanos is in this (Spoilers)

Mudcrab

FEDsDCy.png

The multiverse is dying and Earth – all of them – is the source though no one knows why.

What is known is that Incursions, a phenomenon in which two parallel Earths occupying the same super-position in the meta-structure of the multiverse collide in actuality, precedes the mutual annihilation of their respective universes. Incursions are an endless cycle. Even if you stop an Incursion more will continue to happen again and again until your Earth is destroyed.

Sheer coincidence reveals the situation to T'challa, the Black Panther, when he accidentally stumbles into an incursion point; a small bridge between the two colliding Earths where each Earth seemingly appears in the other's sky. The parallel Earth is destroyed by a group of people who came from it and Black Panther soon learns the reason. Against all previous misgivings, T’challa has no choice but to gather the brightest minds of the Marvel universe and reform the Illuminati to deal with the early death of everything.

XyfVmto.jpg

Reed Richards explains Incursions to the group:

yCW4jHA.jpg

8c8Ap96.png

The situation is clear: to save universes the Illuminati must be prepared to destroy worlds. Not all heroes will accept the destruction of other worlds to save themselves so the group must operate in secrecy.

The Illuminati soon learn from Black Swan, a mysterious survivor of previous Incursions, that there are powerful beings that have successfully dealt with Incursions or accelerate the process for their own reasons. Sooner or later the Illuminati will face each of them.

8PW7ofn.jpg

Tony Stark builds his Avengers machine, assembling a group of heroes so powerful that they will be able to handle any imaginable threat without assistance from the Illuminati members as they deal with the Incursions.

H1As651.jpg

VZehGbS.jpg

Infinity

Plans rarely survive execution. Builders, a precursor race, blaze a trail of destruction across the galaxy as they head towards Earth. Their goal is simple: destroy Earth to save the universe, though explaining this to other beings is apparently beneath them. The Avengers deal with the Builders as Thanos comes to Earth for his own reasons while the Avengers are distracted.

Everyone does their job. Earth is saved from the Builders. Thanos is captured and held in stasis by the Illuminati.

Eh87ZG2.png

The wheel is relentless and soon the Illuminati encounter the inevitable. Noble heroes from another Earth are also dealing with Incursions. The Great Society (aka The Justice League) and the Illuminati battle until Doctor Strange gives into darkness, killing them.

yL42Zsm.png

With no opposition left, the Illuminati debate detonating the other Earth with one of their planet busting bombs until Namor cuts all debate short.

E6de343.jpg

u80H6XV.jpg

Hexgxmc.jpg

Horrified and disgusted, the Illuminati decide amongst themselves to make peace with fate and allow the next Incursion to occur without resistance. Nothing happens. No apocalypse, no invaders, no heroes. Then the obvious: Where’s Namor?

8u4Myi7.jpg

uQqZ4iv.jpg

rExLtrP.jpg

SNp330b.jpg

b8EISW3.jpg

While all of this is happening Captain America learns of the Illuminati's betrayal and receives a warning from the future.

9TxRPh3.png

QvimkWM.png

twvPMap.png

l6yn0xJ.jpg

uREQ6ik.jpg

The stage is now set. The Avengers. The Illuminati. The Cabal. Soon time runs out.

Reading Order:

SRG01

I'm interested to see how AXIS fits into this too, because
from last week's Avengers, we see Superior Iron Man as one of the Illuminati.

Dalek

Fantastic thread is fantastic.

This story is amazing-everyone should read it. At times it does meander and drag it's feet a bit, but man is it paying off in spades. The "Eight Months From Now" issues are a real gut punch.

Fuck Namor.

Mudcrab

I'm interested to see how AXIS fits into this too, because
from last week's Avengers, we see Superior Iron Man as one of the Illuminati.

Yes in the latest Avengers you can see lots has changed. Also New Avengers 24 is out today.

Mudcrab

Oh snap!

Also, I've never seen an OT for a comic series before. This is awesome!

Yeah I figured there will be a lot of discussion on this series and well Hickman's stuff is confusing so I wanted a brief recap for newcomers and people who have been reading since the beginning. Plus I didn't want to necro old threads and we've had few. Some just for BP and Namor.

Also its two comic series

mjc

Is this contained to just one Avengers book or is it across multiple titles? I wanna try and corral all the available issues on the Marvel Unlimited app.

Mudcrab

Is this contained to just one Avengers book or is it across multiple titles? I wanna try and corral all the available issues on the Marvel Unlimited app.

2 Series Avengers and New Avengers, and 1 event Infinity (you can ignore tie-ins). All by Hickman.

Just Avengers and New Avengers and the six issue Infinity event. I'd recommend reading Hickman's Fantastic Four run first though.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Still trying to get through the whole Infinity story.

I'll say this for Hickman, he really has no desire to do 'film pitch' comics. There is no way Infinity could work as a film, at all. It's so rooted in being a comic-book that reading it is daunting because, as in Morrison's Final Crisis, so much shit happens between panels that you're expected to assume.

Infinity is not a 'I'm bored, comics' read. None of Hickmans Avengers stuff is. It's as close to art as the big two can get.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I thought Steve Rogers was an old man now and Falcon was Captain America? Or is that still a future issue that hasn't happened yet?

Before time runs out and they reboot the Marvel U. Avengers have becone toxic to each other. Wolverine is dead. Professor X is dead. Spider Man is an XMan. Things are too rosey for mutants.

Maybe Jean co es back and reboots them...again.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Fuck yes, Namor is the goat

Namor is a little bitch.
He went crying like a child to DOOM in the most recent issue because he finally realized how bad he fucked up.

Also on that note, holy shit at
DOOM reverse engineering the fragment and maybe finding the source of the incursions

That's the thing, though, isn't it? The incursions are only a credible threat if you remove Victor from the game, which Reed did in typical asshat fashion.

Namor dropped the truthbombs hard tho.

You need to read that most recent issue man.

Dalek

Namor is a little bitch.
He went crying like a child to DOOM in the most recent issue because he finally realized how bad he fucked up.

DOOM reverse engineering the fragment and maybe finding the source of the incursions

All Hail our King-Victor Von Doom.

I wonder what it's really like to live in Latveria. Doom seems to think he really cares for his people.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I wonder what it's really like to live in Latveria. Doom seems to think he really cares for his people.

For all his talk, living in Latveria probably sucks donkey balls for the average dude.

It varies, but recently Latveria has been portrayed as pretty much near utopia. Near because secret police and constant propaganda, but telepaths that visit the country say the people truly love him or whatevs.

It has also been shown that if anyone else tries to govern it, Latveria crashes and burns. FF and the US tried. It did not go well.

Namor is a little bitch.

Good to know. Was wondering when namor would do something like that.

Goldrush

Is the whole broken timeline super arc (as per Ultron crossover) also a part of this or is it a separate super arc going on right now?

Namor is a little bitch.

Expected from the preview

It's no worse to what Black Panther did. Black Panther's actions led to Namor making a desperate move to save the 616 universe, leading to the birth of The Cabal 2.0. And its all thanks to Black Panther. This is the only comic I've come close to reading which includes The Black Panther apart from Civil War where he joined forces with Cpt. America. I've read how people praise Black Panther for whatever reason which I can't remember. And as for Namor he had always been difficult to judge since his decisions can be sometimes questionable or ambiguous although when he decides something he sticks with it or until he's fed up(Cyclops recruiting Namor).

Also, Namor's actions kept the 616 universe alive for a while, thus buying enough time for Doom to find the culprit. Where as Black Panther doomed the 616 universe temporarily. The Illuminati should have never kept to themselves in the first place, for them to name themselves as the smartest beings that earth has to offer(Or whoever called themselves that), the dumbest thing they did was to not seek help. I'm viewing Reed, Stark, Banner and Black Bolt the same level as Black Panther. I wonder what would Shuri would have done? I really want to see the Avengers kicking The Illuminati's teeth in

I think crying and begging for help is entirely different and BP did the crying part pretty well, I almost welled up myself T_T

4fAs6BH.gif

So what are the EXACT issues (including issue numbers) I need to read to catch up on this? If someone would be so kind to list them and the order.

Great idea. I've been finding this run pretty engrossing since day one but things really hit their pace after Infinity. I love that the medium allows for a writer like Hickman to take years to set such a story. As I've said before, going by his Secret Warriors and FF runs, I'm fairly confident he will deliver. Hell, there's already been a load of cool payoffs.

This week's Nee Avengers cemented my belief that he writes anti-heroes perfectly. His Doom is pitch perfect.

Namor is a little bitch.

"
Doom is no man's second choice.
"

DOOM TOO GOOD
DOOM TOO GOOD
DOOM TOO GOOD

New Avengers is definitely piff the new Cabal dat Black Panther narrative. :whew:
Looking at the new preview Doom getting into it too based Hickman just getting better and better.

So what are the EXACT issues (including issue numbers) I need to read to catch up on this? If someone would be so kind to list them and the order.

Avengers: Avengers World (Avengers Vol 5 #1-6)
Avengers: The Last White Event (Avengers #7-12)
New Avengers: Everything Dies (New Avengers Vol 3 #1-6)
Avengers: Infinity Prelude (Avengers #13-17)
Infinity: Nothing Lasts Forever (Free Comic Book Day 2013 Special, Infinity #1-6, Avengers #18-23, New Avengers #7-12 Infinity: Against the Tide #1-2 Reading order for singles here (image))
Avengers: Rogue Planet/Adapt or Die (Avengers #24.NOW-28)
New Avengers: Other Worlds (New Avengers #13.INH-17)
New Avengers: A Perfect World (New Avengers #18-23, collected edition not out yet)
Avengers: Infinite Avengers (Avengers #29-34, no collected edtion released yet)
Avengers: Time Runs Out Part One (Avengers #35, New Avengers #24, no collected edition released)

The Infinity tie-in issues are collected as Infinity: Avengers Universe and New Avengers: Infinity, they are included in both the US hardcover printing and the UK paperback editions.

Sadist

New Avengers is kicking all sorts of ass right now.

The newest issue is fucking brutal.
I mean, the Cabal just enjoys and are making fun of killing the Earth 9000 or something versions of the X-Men. Terrax and Thanos are insane.

And yes, fuck Namor.
Doom is no man's second choice!

Top Bottom