• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey (PS4) |OT| Greatest Hits

Game of the forever. Only played it once, been holding off to try to make my second playthrough as much like the first one as possible. Its been a good two and a half years, yeah I've forgotten a fair bit. But man I'll never get back the feelings I had the first time. It was really the most beautifully emotional experience I've ever had in a game.

Edit: Any word on physical release date?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How much time should I set aside to play in one sitting?

Around 2 hours. It can be beaten faster than that, or it might take a bit longer, but somewhere around that. And yes, absolutely do play through it in one sitting. It should be experienced as one single... well, experience.

is this game better than flower

Flower was a stronger experience for me the first time I played it than this was. I know that's not the general concensus though, it's just how I felt. Love them both though.

BouncyFrag

Word. Quite the experience. Also this is the perfect game to let your non-gamer homies/family play.
That's a good point. My sister considers gaming a waste of time. I then showed her The Last of Us and she was freaking out by the end of the prologue.

Cudder

Too bad the PS4 theme is static and not dynamic. Missed opportunity to not have any of the Journey OST play in the dashboard. Probably won't switch from the Transistor theme because of that.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The company had a rough time once the 3 game contract finished but they didn't go bankrupt AFAIK. A lot of people left after the contract finished but Thatgamecompany are still making an independent game I think.
Yea sorry I think this is more accurate. I know they dismantled pretty much though and most of the key people left to form their own studios/do their own thing. They are making another game but will be self-publishing this time and it'll most likely be a multi-platform title. I look forward to their future title and hope they knock it out of the park like they did with Journey.

The more people that play Thatgamecompany's games, the better! I think studios like this are absolutely vital in this industry.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Nice, looking forward to playing it again. Is it out in the UK at midnight too? I understand the sentiment of many posts, I wish I could relive this and a bunch of other games for the first time again, that sense of wonder. I loved that me and one random player in the world did the whole thing from start to finish together, with only chirps to communicate verbally. Such a nice experience.

Had 360 last gen, straight to ps4 this gen, already pre prdered it, cant wait for tomorrow.

Question, do I play it alone or online, first? I get different accounts everytime, not sure what to do.

Play online, but you have no control over when you meet other players anyway. Meeting someone, successfully using the simple communication system and sharing the journey is one of the best parts of the game IMO. Especially during the
bleaker levels

nikos

First experience with the game was incredible. Played it in one sitting and was paired with the same person the entire time. I shed a tear at the end.

Will play it in one sitting again tomorrow night.

ramyeon

This seems to be on the Australian store already? It says for PS3 and PS4 and notes that if you buy before the 27th then you get the theme. Bought on the webstore and after check out it gave me the option to download to my PS4.

Didn't care for the way online was handled, and felt like the benefits of the MP experience were overblown, but still a beautiful game as a whole and I can't wait to have another go.

Will be great with the volume pumped up now that I'm in a house! The music is enchanting.

Gusy

There's a certain sequence in this game that experiencing it @1080/60 ...will surely melt retinas.

Can't wait.

DAT game company...

robotrock

Banned
Yeah, I just checked the website again. Says "mid-day", which I guess translates to whenever Sony updates the store on Tuesday.

The other day it was a lot more specific and said 3:00pm EST. All of the other play titles say Midnight EST though so that's cool.

Just pre-ordered, looking forward to experiencing this again. Loved it on PS3 (although I had a physical copy, but $12 isn't bad for this :))

For what it's worth, I was on the web store earlier for the sci-fi sale and noticed Journey PS4 was listed down at the bottom, but instead of a price and cart icon it just said Unavailable in blue letters.

Likely already up and ready but just deactivated with a timer.

Wasp

I remember finding all the collectibles in the PS3 version, playing the game again with my white cloak and long scarf made me feel like a Jedi Master helping my apprentice partner.

ced

First play through of Journey is something special.

I had the house to myself and a tad bit of weed, that was one of the most memorable game experiences I've ever had.

is this game better than flower

To me, they're quite similar in drawing out the same emotions from me (happiness, wonder, sadness) but Journey definitely left a more lasting impact in the end and I just recently replayed Flower on both my PS4 and PS Vita.

I also think it was the soundtrack of Journey, which I think is stronger as well, that made the impact more memorable.

I should mention, Sony Santa Monica told me on Twitter that they are looking into finding a way to let people who already bought Journey on PS3 get the dynamic theme. Currently the only way is to pre-order the game on PS4, which you cannot do if you already own it since it's crossbuy.

CoolOff

Destructoid just uploaded the opening section from the PS4 version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVdCflmb33o

Its-so-beautiful.gif

Genuinely excited to replay the game fully in glorious 1080/60. That first time through was so wonderful and it's been just long enough that I've forgotten large parts of it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
They announced this, but I completely forgot about it:

If you have digitally purchased it already for PS3, you can download it free for PS4.

which is amazing. Will be replaying this tomorrow for sure.

Top Bottom