• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey (PS4) |OT| Greatest Hits

I played this back at its original release, but I replayed over the weekend and I want to ask some narrative related questions that have confused me since I first played the game. Possibly very significant spoilers ahead, but I see spoilers are being discussed openly here and properly hiding spoilers would require me to put pretty much this whole post in spoiler tags, so I'm leaving it untagged.

The big pivotal question that I have is why did the war begin? A cutscene shows us that after the original inhabitants of the world got really into building cities, the power they were harvesting faded, causing the inhabitants to stop sharing it, presumably to ensure they had enough for themselves, ultimately causing them to go to war over it. But why did the power fade in the first place? Is it an environmentalist message, with the power standing in for nature (indeed, the power is the source of all life in the game's world)? If so, how is that linked to cooperation between people? Or could it be that the idea is that urbanization breaks people apart? That works better to support the central theme of cooperation between people, but then how do you reconcile that with the fact that building cities is itself a cooperative effort, and why isn't this anti-urbanization theme more present elsewhere in the narrative? Or could it be something else entirely? Is there any official word on this?

My other big problem is even less with direct narrative and more with theme, and I could see it being really divisive, so bear with me. I think most people would agree, Journey is an uplifting game, it very much wants to be uplifting. But the actual narrative is seriously depressing. The journeyers travel to the source of life and are reincarnated endlessly after learning about the mistakes and ultimate doom of their predecessors, but they can never change anything. They're locked in this eternal cycle that seems made to show them how terribly wrong the predecessors went. It's a purgatory. Looking at it this way, its seems like companions are just temporary sources of happiness in the larger context of an endless punishment (and a senseless one, since it's for things the journeyers weren't even responsible for), instead of the central element. The game feels more like a dirge than the celebration of life's struggles and triumphs and the power of bonds between people that it seems to want to be.

The weirdest thing about all this is that the game still does feel uplifting to me on the whole. For me, the experience of playing it and its presentation overwhelm what I perceive to be the underlying narrative. Trying to communicate themes as large as these through the medium of a game, especially without using words, is a huge task, and it might just be flawed when it comes right down to it. The punishment-based interpretation of the game might just be something that came out of the cyclical nature of the narrative unintentionally. Regardless, I'd like to know if there's anything from the game's makers to support or refute this stuff.

One last, simpler question. What the heck's with the “shooting star” that crashes in the desert and becomes a symbol? Does it mean that reincarnation can fail? That seems to throw a wrench into the narrative, though it probably doesn't really matter in the bigger scheme of things. It seems like something that was just thrown in without much thought. I'd like to know what Thatgamecompany intended with it, and whether it's really relevant to anything.

danmaku

How can you be so sure that your traveler is always the same guy? For all we know, he could've reached Nirvana, or Heaven or whatever, and then a new traveler begins his journey. The end credits show a shooting star going back to the beginning, but this doesn't necessarily mean it represent my character. I saw it just as a cool way to show the credits, not something that was part of the narrative. After all, the shooting star that you see at the beginning of the game goes straight up into the sky, it doesn't go down along the mountain and across all levels.

As for the setting, I think their resources were running out, and this created the conflict. They got greedy and milked this place until almost nothing remained, and then they started fighting for the scraps.

Also, I might be wrong, but I think the old ones in the cutscenes look a little different from the traveler. Maybe he has nothing to do with this place, and some greater power is simply using the ruins to teach him something.

How can you be so sure that your traveler is always the same guy? For all we know, he could've reached Nirvana, or Heaven or whatever, and then a new traveler begins his journey. The end credits show a shooting star going back to the beginning, but this doesn't necessarily mean it represent my character. I saw it just as a cool way to show the credits, not something that was part of the narrative. After all, the shooting star that you see at the beginning of the game goes straight up into the sky, it doesn't go down along the mountain and across all levels.

As for the setting, I think their resources were running out, and this created the conflict. They got greedy and milked this place until almost nothing remained, and then they started fighting for the scraps.

Also, I might be wrong, but I think the old ones in the cutscenes look a little different from the traveler. Maybe he has nothing to do with this place, and some greater power is simply using the ruins to teach him something.

Well for one just chirp and you'll know what your symbol is.

xinek

My other big problem is even less with direct narrative and more with theme, and I could see it being really divisive, so bear with me. I think most people would agree, Journey is an uplifting game, it very much wants to be uplifting. But the actual narrative is seriously depressing. The journeyers travel to the source of life and are reincarnated endlessly after learning about the mistakes and ultimate doom of their predecessors, but they can never change anything. They're locked in this eternal cycle that seems made to show them how terribly wrong the predecessors went. It's a purgatory. Looking at it this way, its seems like companions are just temporary sources of happiness in the larger context of an endless punishment (and a senseless one, since it's for things the journeyers weren't even responsible for), instead of the central element. The game feels more like a dirge than the celebration of life's struggles and triumphs and the power of bonds between people that it seems to want to be.
I disagree -- you're reincarnated so you can help others on their own journeys. Maybe something bad happened in the past, but you can choose to keep being reincarnated to be companions for those who need it. You can't necessarily change anything, but the purpose of life doesn't always have to be change, progress, and fixing things. I find it very uplifting for that reason.

Ferr986

This is how I understand it aswell.

Agram

...Looking at it this way, its seems like companions are just temporary sources of happiness...
And this is the main point.
When you replay the game, you what's gonna happen in the end. Yet you still want to play it again. Why? For the new, different journey you take with a friend. I believe that's what they wanted to say with the game. We are so small and insignificant in our long history, but still, we live our lives. We are all gonna die but we all share this journey on the earth.

This game is truly showing that life is not about the destination, it's about the journey and the game is named exactly because of this.

so i bought this, flower and unfinished swan on ps3 a while back but none of them seem to be free for me. i'm new to the ps4 so maybe i'm just doing something stupid? sorry that it's a bit off topic but any help?

so i bought this, flower and unfinished swan on ps3 a while back but none of them seem to be free for me. i'm new to the ps4 so maybe i'm just doing something stupid? sorry that it's a bit off topic but any help?
Are you logged in on the same account you used to purchase the games on PS3?

You should be able to download the PS4 version from the store page if it's the same account.

yep, it's on my download history in the sony store. :( guacamelee too (was that a free crossbuy game?)
If I were you I'd try speak to PSN support, because Journey and Flower are definitely crossbuy and you should have access to it on PS4. There's definitely something weird going on with your account, especially if it's happening with more than one game.

If I were you I'd try speak to PSN support, because Journey and Flower are definitely crossbuy and you should have access to it on PS4. There's definitely something weird going on with your account, especially if it's happening with more than one game.

SO UM, it looks like i was way off. i do have these games, but on the account i'm using now i only downloaded a trial, hence me thinking i saw it in my download queue. looks like i actually bought the games on my alternative american account, of which i have no idea what the email address is... fuck.

so yeah, thanks for the help but it was just me being an idiot. i guess i have no way of finding what email i used, do i?

I have only ever occasionally given my 5 year old son a controller to mess around in a game until Lego Jurassic World. We played that through and then some to get 100% and he still obsessed over wanting to always play. So while feeding my infant I decided I'd let him check out Journey two nights ago.

It was amazing watching him (with some verbal guidance from me) understand the game, meet and approach others players with excited chirping, and sometimes be the one the other player relied on for help and understanding.

His initial reaction before meeting with other players was "This is a weird game", but being 5 and an excitable kid, he didn't mean this in the typical tween sense if that makes sense. In no time, he was full of wonder.

Unfortunately, we paused mid Journey but he finished it last night. He showed so much emotion while playing. When we stopped, it was just after the level where he was attacked. He was very much genuinely freaked out by what happened, he almost cried. But he still wanted to finish. He got very upset seeing he and his journeymate slowing down on the snowy incline and felt better once flying again. I'm not a religious person but to help him explain what was happening, I likened it to heaven which my wife has explained to him where his grandmothers are. He cheered up, played to the end and that was that... until bedtime.

He then got really depressed and put his face in the couch and sighed about not wanting his guy to go to heaven and wanted everything to be alright. I explained the "it's the journey, not the destination" theme and how the flying sigil represented a rebirth to start back at the beginning again. He can't wait to play.

Sorry for my incoherent, early morning ramblings but I had to share.

Handy Fake

I have only ever occasionally given my 5 year old son a controller to mess around in a game until Lego Jurassic World. We played that through and then some to get 100% and he still obsessed over wanting to always play. So while feeding my infant I decided I'd let him check out Journey two nights ago.

It was amazing watching him (with some verbal guidance from me) understand the game, meet and approach others players with excited chirping, and sometimes be the one the other player relied on for help and understanding.

His initial reaction before meeting with other players was "This is a weird game", but being 5 and an excitable kid, he didn't mean this in the typical tween sense if that makes sense. In no time, he was full of wonder.

Unfortunately, we paused mid Journey but he finished it last night. He showed so much emotion while playing. When we stopped, it was just after the level where he was attacked. He was very much genuinely freaked out by what happened, he almost cried. But he still wanted to finish. He got very upset seeing he and his journeymate slowing down on the snowy incline and felt better once flying again. I'm not a religious person but to help him explain what was happening, I likened it to heaven which my wife has explained to him where his grandmothers are. He cheered up, played to the end and that was that... until bedtime.

He then got really depressed and put his face in the couch and sighed about not wanting his guy to go to heaven and wanted everything to be alright. I explained the "it's the journey, not the destination" theme and how the flying sigil represented a rebirth to start back at the beginning again. He can't wait to play.

Dude.

Deep.

Ferr986

I almost shred a manly tear there. Thanks for sharing.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

I'm not religious but that choked me up.

DarkTom

Hi, I played through it for the first time yesterday.

The game was cool but I did not meet any partner, was I supposed to do something special ? I mean, there should be plenty of people less than one week after launch so it's weird.

Thanks for the replies, folks. It hits me just how much of an impact a game like this can have and not be hyperbolic. I witnessed the spectrum of emotions from my five year old. It truly is an amazing feeling.

Hi, I played through it for the first time yesterday.

The game was cool but I did not meet any partner, was I supposed to do something special ? I mean, there should be plenty of people less than one week after launch so it's weird.

Did you happen to notice a white glow at the edges of your screen at any time? That represents another player in the area. Chirping helps them find you.

That's really awesome. It shows that games can have a big impact on you and the surrounding,
He played through Lego Jurassic World with its jump scares and dino attacks no problem.

Shift that same mechanic to a such a cerebral and mystical game as Journey and he was terrified. I mean he shrieked once he was caught, freaked out and cried out "no I don't wanna do it you do you do it!" I can't convey that fear with words but he was horrified.

If you still have your PS3 and depending on your settings, you may still find out which email address you use when you connect it to the PSN. It usually has your email address in there. Good luck!

sold it yesterday, haha.

ANYWAY i now know how i played journey. i never downloaded it, i bought it in the disc set with flow and flower. that explains why i have trophies for all three of those games but no receipt of the purchase. goodness me that was a struggle!

Ferr986

I wonder if someone will even meditate with me :(

Just did a journey (for the week trophy) that took only 1:30h mins.... nope, can't play this game that way. I need my time but my companion just won't stop flying lol

eFKac

The later half of the game is still magical :)

Have a problem getting the Companion trophy, game seems to be shuffling companions way more than the PS3 version for me.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I wonder if someone will even meditate with me :(

Just did a journey (for the week trophy) that took only 1:30h mins.... nope, can't play this game that way. I need my time but my companion just won't stop flying lol

It took me a long long time to persuade someone to meditate with me. I beeped continuously and then sat down. Every time they went to move away I beeped continuously again until they approached and as they approached sat down again. I could tell the other person was confused. He/she kept jumping around me and floating over my head. I did this for ages, eventually just sitting, standing, sitting, standing.

And then they sat. Hooray!

Ferr986

It took me a long long time to persuade someone to meditate with me. I beeped continuously and then sat down. Every time they went to move away I beeped continuously again until they approached and as they approached sat down again. I could tell the other person was confused. He/she kept jumping around me and floating over my head. I did this for ages, eventually just sitting, standing, sitting, standing.

And then they sat. Hooray!

Yeah, I guess my problem is that I give up easily when I see my companion leaving me behind...

I think I should just fire up the first stage and sit there, and hoping that someone that knows about the trophy sits wit me.

The later half of the game is still magical :)

Have a problem getting the Companion trophy, game seems to be shuffling companions way more than the PS3 version for me.

The very last moment
before the end, when you fly to the top of the mountain and you "turn" into a golden being, while the music kicking it's most epic part... shit's so powerful. Still give me goosebumps everytime.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yeah, I guess my problem is that I give up easily when I see my companion leaving me behind...

I think I should just fire up the first stage and sit there, and hoping that someone that knows about the trophy sits wit me.

The very last moment
before the end, when you fly to the top of the mountain and you "turn" into a golden being, while the music kicking it's most epic part... shit's so powerful. Still give me goosebumps everytime.

I've wanted to mention this but realise people will probably see it as a distasteful interpretation:
Considering this is about rebirth, I think there IS a possibility that the ending is designed to look like a specific natural occurrence of reproduction. Sperm/vagina/womb. Many artists have used this in their work over the years and I see no reason why this particular art form couldn't contain the same hidden imagery. Also, when you begin your story and climb to the top of the fist hill (when 'Journey' appears and you see your objective), there are two tall 'gravestones' with what appear to be long scarves and one small gravestone with no scarf. I take this to be the child of the two Journeyers. Perhaps the Journey isn't about being reborn but about passing wisdom onto your children and living eternally through them. I really do hope that people who read this have a full understanding of how beautiful and miraculous the process of copulation is.

I've wanted to mention this but realise people will probably see it as a distasteful interpretation:
Considering this is about rebirth, I think there IS a possibility that the ending is designed to look like a specific natural occurrence of reproduction. Sperm/vagina/womb. Many artists have used this in their work over the years and I see no reason why this particular art form couldn't contain the same hidden imagery. Also, when you begin your story and climb to the top of the fist hill (when 'Journey' appears and you see your objective), there are two tall 'gravestones' with what appear to be long scarves and one small gravestone with no scarf. I take this to be the child of the two Journeyers. Perhaps the Journey isn't about being reborn but about passing wisdom onto your children and living eternally through them. I really do hope that people who read this have a full understanding of how beautiful and miraculous the process of copulation is.
That's actually a great interpretation. If I read about this before, I've forgotten so thanks for pointing this out.

Ferr986

oh I was wondering why the Return trophy didn't unlock yesterday, I though the trophy counted a week from your first playthough, not from the last one.

Furthermore, it's a similar take on the story told in Flower (old and withered flower dying and a new one born and changing the world in its wake)

Is Flower similar to Journey? Worth it?

Dave_6

I forgot to replay this last night to get the "come back a week later" trophy. Does it have to be exactly a week later or can be 8 or 9 days later?

Sera O

Banned
SO UM, it looks like i was way off. i do have these games, but on the account i'm using now i only downloaded a trial, hence me thinking i saw it in my download queue. looks like i actually bought the games on my alternative american account, of which i have no idea what the email address is... fuck.

so yeah, thanks for the help but it was just me being an idiot. i guess i have no way of finding what email i used, do i?

Depending on how many email accounts you have it could be really easy. PS store sends you receipts for everything you purchase, so you could find out which email you used by seeing what account the receipt went to. Of course if you deleted the messages, you're SOL.

edit - oop, saw you figured it out.

Arkeband

Banned

That was a really good read. Thanks for sharing!

I can't believe this. First time playing journey and the game fucking crashes a good 45 min to an hour in.

FUCK

I was just going through a beautiful part of the game too. Experience ruined :(

I'M SORRY MYSTERY FRIEND :((

I'm actually super bummed. I bought it the day it came out on PS4 and waited until I finally had free time to go through it in one sitting as recommended...damn.

Gandalf

What a Journey.

Even met a whopping 5 companions along the way. Didn't even realise some had left me! :(

Still an incredible experience. Played it the day it came out on PS3, and this still had the same effect on me.

This is the reason I love Videogames.

Kudo

Played the game yesterday in one go, what an great experience!
Definitely going to show this game to brothers and possibly play it few more times myself.

On my first journey I met 7 people but felt like one of them wandered with me for longer time, he showed me secrets and the meditation trophy, what an nice guy.

I can't believe this. First time playing journey and the game fucking crashes a good 45 min to an hour in.

FUCK

I was just going through a beautiful part of the game too. Experience ruined :(

I wonder what's causing it to crash. It seems to be a farely widespread issue, but I've been lucky enough to never have any version of the game crash on me. I can definitely see it ruining the experience.

Oh, it's time to go get my final Trophy for starting a new Journey after a one week break.

Will be nice to be able to actually play this again. xD

Yeah, that's pretty lame people would change their clock date because they couldn't wait to get it the right way.

Oh well, I'll feel good about it and the date on the trophy earned with prove that further :D

Vorheez

Is anyone getting frequent crashes while playing? I tried getting my girlfriend to play, and the constant crashing entirely ruined her experience.

The end credits show a shooting star going back to the beginning, but this doesn't necessarily mean it represent my character. I saw it just as a cool way to show the credits, not something that was part of the narrative. After all, the shooting star that you see at the beginning of the game goes straight up into the sky, it doesn't go down along the mountain and across all levels.

That shooting star during the credits is absolutely your character, or your character's spirit being reincarnated. I think that's quite clear. And yeah, the journeyers are distinct from the old ones in white; their arrival isn't explained in any detail, we're just shown that they came from above long after the original civilization's decline, formed from the same power as that civilization and all life.

I disagree -- you're reincarnated so you can help others on their own journeys. Maybe something bad happened in the past, but you can choose to keep being reincarnated to be companions for those who need it. You can't necessarily change anything, but the purpose of life doesn't always have to be change, progress, and fixing things. I find it very uplifting for that reason.

And this is the main point.
When you replay the game, you what's gonna happen in the end. Yet you still want to play it again. Why? For the new, different journey you take with a friend. I believe that's what they wanted to say with the game. We are so small and insignificant in our long history, but still, we live our lives. We are all gonna die but we all share this journey on the earth.

This game is truly showing that life is not about the destination, it's about the journey and the game is named exactly because of this.

Interesting! You two seem to have similar viewpoints, and you express them well. Still, I have misgivings about this kind of interpretation, that the journey is absolutely all that matters. Saying that we're insignificant and it's good enough not to change anything strikes me as... defeatist? I prefer to focus on the idea that bonds between people are incredibly powerful, and allow people to do things far beyond what they could alone. I think that's the game's central statement. It's also funny to bring up the idea that progress doesn't matter so much, since this is a game, where progress is paramount by definition. I'm not saying that the game espouses the idea that progress is necessary just by being a game, but it's an interesting little wrinkle.

kyser73

While I've never been able to square this theory with the way the game restarts your Journey, I did think the journey was a rite of passage for the younger cloth people, giving them a chance to learn first hand the history of their people and how it went wrong.

While I've never been able to square this theory with the way the game restarts your Journey, I did think the journey was a rite of passage for the younger cloth people, giving them a chance to learn first hand the history of their people and how it went wrong.

I've always thought that it was a clear metaphor for the cycle of life, death, and rebirth.

Top Bottom