• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey (PS4) |OT| Greatest Hits

xinek

Interesting! You two seem to have similar viewpoints, and you express them well. Still, I have misgivings about this kind of interpretation, that the journey is absolutely all that matters. Saying that we're insignificant and it's good enough not to change anything strikes me as... defeatist? I prefer to focus on the idea that bonds between people are incredibly powerful, and allow people to do things far beyond what they could alone. I think that's the game's central statement. It's also funny to bring up the idea that progress doesn't matter so much, since this is a game, where progress is paramount by definition. I'm not saying that the game espouses the idea that progress is necessary just by being a game, but it's an interesting little wrinkle.
LOL that avatar, though.

Defeatist? Nah. Sure, it's a game, and we're used to checkpoints and goals. And when we play Journey, we want to make progress, but why? It's similar to Spec Ops: The Line and how it's addressing themes of why we do the things we do. When I'm playing Journey with a partner, it's not really about getting to the mountain to achieve some goal, but rather to have the experience and help others as they help me. That is the opposite of feeling insignificant! What a cool game.

The stuff you said about progress also made me realize that I think it's a bit weird to have trophies for this game, because it dilutes that zen feeling a bit.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I forget, after finishing my journey I picked 'start new journey'. So that means I lost all my scarf upgrades right? Was there a way to keep them after you did a full run? Because now I think all the glyphs I found have been reset too, I'm not sure how progress is saved again in this game. Feel the urge to 100% it again like I did on ps3.

Either way, was really fun to play through this again. I hoped my first partner would stick with me, but I went too fast in the downhill sunset segment and lost him. I love how there's a small bit of sadness when you lose a partner and joy when a new one pops up. If you're just doing a regular run, it's just not the same alone.

I forget, after finishing my journey I picked 'start new journey'. So that means I lost all my scarf upgrades right? Was there a way to keep them after you did a full run? Because now I think all the glyphs I found have been reset too, I'm not sure how progress is saved again in this game. Feel the urge to 100% it again like I did on ps3.

Well, yes and no. You have to pick up the symbols again on each run, but each one will add more scarf than it did before (on previous playthroughs), so you can end up with a scarf that's truly ridiculous in length.

Played through with my buddy with party chat last night.

We never came across one another...

Doing so was a lot easier and consistent on the PS3, I think.

Is there anything in place that prevents party chatters from joining up?

Radec

Played through with my buddy with party chat last night.

We never came across one another...

Doing so was a lot easier and consistent on the PS3, I think.

Is there anything in place that prevents party chatters from joining up?

Companions will be just random.

Unless there are very very few people playing the game on a certain time.

Companions will be just random.

Unless there are very very few people playing the game on a certain time.
Yes. However I've managed to help a few people with that one companion trophy on the PS3. We'd talk on the phone and make sure it was still indeed us when we entered a new area.

It was so easy which is why I'm surprised. Are more people playing it now than the PS3 version's launch month?

Edit: I forget, can you quit out back to the hub during a replay after completing the game? Maybe we kept trying until it worked but he hadn't completed it yet in this instance.

Just did a playthrough where I met a traveller at the cloth ramp/bridge bit at the beginning and he stuck with me all the way through, even showed me where the symbols where. Thanks Slapache!

What an absolutely stunning game thus far. I say thus far, because even though I was determined to play my first time through in one sitting, the 3rd crash (good ol CE-34878-0) did me in. My daughter was quite unhappy as well. "Why does it keep doing that?".

Had a great friend taking the Journey with us, showing and teaching us things. I look forward to going back and hopefully the crashes, that I don't appear to be at all alone in suffering, are resolved soon. I may just download it on the PS3 if it's more stable...

I've gone through this game many times now and I've had quite a few memorable runs with companions. I've especially enjoyed the times I've journeyed with a fellow white-robe. There's usually this quiet, calm, effecient way of progressing forward, with very little excited chirping as with a newer player. There's something cool and zen about traveling with another white-robe by your side. And really awesome is
climbing the tower
without filling it up with energy. Difficult but doable and satisfying.

I've also had some fun "mentor" runs. Usually when I would see an orange robed player I would say hello but keep walking because I didn't want to just lead them to all the secrets. But sometimes players come up to you and excitedly chirp and want you to lead them. It's satisfying when you can tell its the first time they're seeing something. And everyone is eternally grateful when you lead them through that very tense late section intact.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Dont wait, get in now while the world is still populated. Game really needs to be experienced with another drifter.

guess i'm going to experience tonight then. thanks.

still grabbing the hard copy if/when it ever drops though.

edit: damn, no longer 11.99 for ps+?

guess i'm going to experience tonight then. thanks.

still grabbing the hard copy if/when it ever drops though.

edit: damn, no longer 11.99 for ps+?

Unfortunately, yeah. The discount was only available prior to its release as part of the Play 2015 promotion. It's still worth $15 though.

What an absolutely stunning game thus far. I say thus far, because even though I was determined to play my first time through in one sitting, the 3rd crash (good ol CE-34878-0) did me in. My daughter was quite unhappy as well. "Why does it keep doing that?".

Had a great friend taking the Journey with us, showing and teaching us things. I look forward to going back and hopefully the crashes, that I don't appear to be at all alone in suffering, are resolved soon. I may just download it on the PS3 if it's more stable...
I had my friend who kept experiencing crashes delete the game and data and redownload it. Played straight through without a hitch after that.

Number45

Is there a way to come back to levels with your scarf at full length?

EDIT: Apparently not. Managed to get companion and crossing earlier, so just the 10 unique travellers and the week long break to get. Was great walking someone through all of the secrets earlier this evening - hopefully I didn't ruin anything for him!

BraXzy

I just played it for the first time ever.

I'm genuinely sad :(

My partner disappeared in the final segment of the game. I waited 20 minutes in case they showed up but nothing. Were you supposed to be alone in that final part?

After going through the majority of the game with the same person, it felt odd not finishing it with them. What an amazing emotional experience this game has been.

wouwie

I just played it for the first time ever.

I'm genuinely sad :(

My partner disappeared in the final segment of the game. I waited 20 minutes in case they showed up but nothing. Were you supposed to be alone in that final part?

After going through the majority of the game with the same person, it felt odd not finishing it with them. What an amazing emotional experience this game has been.

No, you aren't supposed to be alone in that final part. On the contrary, the best ending of this game is when you end the game together. It is however quite easy to loose track of your partner during that last epic final ascent to the top.

BraXzy

No, you aren't supposed to be alone in that final part. On the contrary, the best ending of this game is when you end the game together. It is however quite easy to loose track of your partner during that last epic final ascent to the top.

They definitely disconnected then. What a shame :/

I'm pretty sure I had the same companion for 90% of the game. We always made sure we found everything and stuck together and pinged to make sure we were all good. I went most of the way up and all the way back down just in case they were hiding somewhere but no luck, ahh well.

It's strange how emotional the experience is considering the lack of dialogue and communication. Looking forward to playing it again at some point in the future.

Since the Ps4 collector's edition was relesed in NA today, I was pretty disappointed to find out, that there won't be a physical release here.

As far as I've seen, Australia, the UK and China are having physical copies and I'm tempted to import it.

I know that the Ps4 doesn't have any region restriction but I'm wondering if I'd be able to play online with those versions?

Finally played this to completion, after getting to the second to last area on PS3 near release. I actually helped a fair number of GAF members get beta keys way back when, making and sharing PSN accounts that I managed to score keys for.

Playing it in one sitting was quite stunning, even though I didn't manage to keep one companion for the entire journey. And it looks and plays nothing short of incredible on PS4.

I made an image album: http://imgur.com/a/lvWKJ

Finalow

finally going to play this, got it today with the Journey CE on PS4. it also includes Flower and Flow which I played already on PS3 but it's been a very long time so I might go for another run on those games as well.

Just finished this last night. A small tear came out of my eye (didn't roll) and I didn't even realize it until I put my finger below my eye. What an amazing game, can't wait to replay in a few weeks to get that trophy. I only got 1 trophy for completion, which I am bit salty about it. -_-

This was one of the most surreal games I've ever played. I'm a moron for not buying this on the PS3.

Finalow

just finished my 2nd run. such a beautiful game, totally worth all the praise it got.

first run was mostly solo even if I was playing online, I did find some people but they all left at some point. however I managed to finish a 2nd run with a single player who stayed until the end. we both had white robes so it went much faster and smoother than the first one.
I also love details such as getting more embroidery patterns every time you finish the game.

I'm only missing the "find 10 unique players" trophy for the 100%, not sure why but it seems like I'm not getting anyone to join my game if I use chapter select so I guess I need a couple of more runs.

finally getting around to playing this. didn't get the hype after the first level, but then i met someone during the second level...

cbSBWSM.jpg

omg this is amazing. being able to refill each other's jumps is such a simple but fun mechanic and the levels are gorgeous.

was sad when s/he disappeared for like 10 minutes, only for another companion to reappear moments later.

https://vid.me/HTsu

then they left after i took this and i was on my own again

sqrVL4O.jpg

i don't know where i am in the game but i don't want it to end.

And just beat it. Almost perfect game right there (points off for it ending when i wanted to be halfway through, and for the second to last level
being somewhat annoying from a gameplay perspective with all the slow walking
. The overall experience though is mesmerizing. The visuals were stunning cover to cover and it blew my mind when
they took us "underwater" and then to a snowy area. All of the promotional material shows a bunch of sand.
. The co-op is adorable as well. I'd love to see an animated series based on this.

My companion from earlier would sing to warn me not to
step in the lights. It was only at the end of the game that I found out why you should avoid that guy!

Think i'm going to play it again.

well i just learned something so scratch the second criticism i have.

flying around and meeting people is amazing, and the levels are so much fun to play in. i think i'm going to get a lot of mileage out of just playing through and showing newbies around. what a game.

danmaku

Why did you change your mind about the last part? Obviously you have to walk slowly for story purposes, but this also makes it the less replayable chapter. I could play the pink sands or the sunset descent over and over, but not the last chapter.
The payoff is amazing, though. Being able to fly again after what seemed like a terrible trial feels soooooo good.

Why did you change your mind about the last part? Obviously you have to walk slowly for story purposes, but this also makes it the less replayable chapter. I could play the pink sands or the sunset descent over and over, but not the last chapter.
The payoff is amazing, though. Being able to fly again after what seemed like a terrible trial feels soooooo good.

White Cloak
:)

Definitely adore the game world and lore, but I wish there was a bit more to keep me coming back. Ever since I got the thing above, I haven't met many other players as before.

Oneself

I replayed the PS3 version this past weekend, just because, and I am much more impressed by the PS4 remaster now. It's strange how our memory works, because when I first played it on PS4, I was thinking "ok it's the same thing but 60fps". I was tricked and I am obviously getting used to the current gen's bells & whistles.

Because while it is indeed the same, Journey @ 60fps + 1080p with fine AA adds a lot to the presentation and controls. The tiny details, the animations, the artstyle... Everything comes to life with "grandeur" now.

That being said, it's such a perfect game IMO.

And yeah, I should switch from originals to remasters more often. :p

ColdPizza

Banned
Picked this up in the PSN week 1 december sale, I've already played through it twice, each time with a companion.

Really cool game. No bugs to report like others have reported.

Now to finish up the trophies.

hoy

Banned
this game crashes for me left and right. haven't got far at all and am ready to throw the controller. i just played through the last of us for the first time yesterday and today, everything is up to date. what can i possibly do to fix it?

Elandyll

Banned
this game crashes for me left and right. haven't got far at all and am ready to throw the controller. i just played through the last of us for the first time yesterday and today, everything is up to date. what can i possibly do to fix it?
- Delete/ reinstall game
- Rebuild database
- Delete save

?

Matt Frost

Finished this one on the weekend. Absolutely loved every second of it. Outstanding gaming experience from the start until the end. No wonder it was NeoGAF GotY for 2012. Why didnt I play this sooner? I am going to play it again, maybe try to Platinum it. Damn this was great.

I bought a PS4 and quickly got Flow, Flower, and Journey.

I easily argue that these are among the greatest games ever made. Truly magical.

I just completed Journey and am left in awe.

McCHitman

Banned
This is a bit old, but this is my experience of my first playthrough of Journey- POSSIBLE SPOILERS

My 74 year old mother lays in my living room slowly passing away, she has very little time left on this earth. She is in a semi coma state, no eating or anything and can't talk. She sleeps 23.9 hours a day.

I've been battling guilt the past week. Should I sit and hold her hand constantly even though she's not awake and tear my self up or keep my mind occupied. Mom would always say "I'll be alright, go play a game" so that's what I did.

Yesterday I sat on my bed and started Journey on the PS4. I never owned a PS3 and I've wanted to play this since release but it just worked this way. I sat there and zoned into the game taking my time looking at the beauty of the world. I met a stranger and we walked for a bit, sliding up and down sand dunes and then mom woke up at one point so I sat my character down so I could go to talk to her. She would only be awake for 5 minutes but I got my time in and mom mustered enough strength to kiss my cheek. I returned to the game to find the stranger surprisingly waiting patiently for me. We continued onward.

Shortly after I got caught up in the music. So much that I started crying. I made my character sit, leaving a stranger to venture onward alone , and I came in the living room and held my moms hand and fell asleep in the chair next to her. Mom stirred a bit and I woke up, spoke to her and gave her some water with an eye dropper. I told my mom I loved her, kissed her cheek, leaned in so she could kiss mine. She drifted back to sleep. I returned to the game.

I never turned the game off, so I stood my character up and traversed through
the cave with enemies
I wasn't expecting Confrontation in this game but I pressed on. As I neared the mountain top
, I reflected on the game, and hesitated to go up to the top. I looked into the living room at mom and reflected on her journey. I'm 32, and I've never left her side, we had it rough, she's had it rougher. she's battled cancer 4 times and overcome it each time. She's being done in by her heart thanks to radiation burning it and COPD. Her journey was like the game, beautiful at times, rough at others. Surprising, filled with people that stick by you when you don't think they will and others that leave.

I marched toward the top of the mountain towards the light
with tears streaming down my face, crying my eyes out.
As I walked into the light
my heart was breaking. I made it.
The star flew across the land, past everything that I had seen and been through
, just like I'm sure mom is reflecting on everything in her life now. The game ripped my heart out of my chest.

Only to go back to the beginning. With a button prompt X- New Journey. It was almost like a question.

I pressed X and looked at my character with tears. I said to myself not yet, it's not over yet. I Sat the character down stared at the screen for a while and turned off the PS4.

Me and my wife will start that new journey soon, one without Mom. But for now, I'll continue walking with my mom towards the mountain top until she enters that light.

UPDATE May 29th, 8:45am. Mom's journey has come to an end. I was with her as she entered that light. Thank you all for the thoughts,prayers and kind words and gold.

danmaku

Thanks for sharing ;_;

Journey is still the game that had the strongest emotional impact on me, by far. I love seeing how other people react to the game, even when they don't like it. Best wishes for your Journey :)

Ferr986

This is a bit old, but this is my experience of my first playthrough of Journey- POSSIBLE SPOILERS

My 74 year old mother lays in my living room slowly passing away, she has very little time left on this earth. She is in a semi coma state, no eating or anything and can't talk. She sleeps 23.9 hours a day.

I've been battling guilt the past week. Should I sit and hold her hand constantly even though she's not awake and tear my self up or keep my mind occupied. Mom would always say "I'll be alright, go play a game" so that's what I did.

Yesterday I sat on my bed and started Journey on the PS4. I never owned a PS3 and I've wanted to play this since release but it just worked this way. I sat there and zoned into the game taking my time looking at the beauty of the world. I met a stranger and we walked for a bit, sliding up and down sand dunes and then mom woke up at one point so I sat my character down so I could go to talk to her. She would only be awake for 5 minutes but I got my time in and mom mustered enough strength to kiss my cheek. I returned to the game to find the stranger surprisingly waiting patiently for me. We continued onward.

Shortly after I got caught up in the music. So much that I started crying. I made my character sit, leaving a stranger to venture onward alone , and I came in the living room and held my moms hand and fell asleep in the chair next to her. Mom stirred a bit and I woke up, spoke to her and gave her some water with an eye dropper. I told my mom I loved her, kissed her cheek, leaned in so she could kiss mine. She drifted back to sleep. I returned to the game.

I never turned the game off, so I stood my character up and traversed through
the cave with enemies
I wasn't expecting Confrontation in this game but I pressed on. As I neared the mountain top
, I reflected on the game, and hesitated to go up to the top. I looked into the living room at mom and reflected on her journey. I'm 32, and I've never left her side, we had it rough, she's had it rougher. she's battled cancer 4 times and overcome it each time. She's being done in by her heart thanks to radiation burning it and COPD. Her journey was like the game, beautiful at times, rough at others. Surprising, filled with people that stick by you when you don't think they will and others that leave.

I marched toward the top of the mountain towards the light
with tears streaming down my face, crying my eyes out.
As I walked into the light
my heart was breaking. I made it.
The star flew across the land, past everything that I had seen and been through
, just like I'm sure mom is reflecting on everything in her life now. The game ripped my heart out of my chest.

Only to go back to the beginning. With a button prompt X- New Journey. It was almost like a question.

I pressed X and looked at my character with tears. I said to myself not yet, it's not over yet. I Sat the character down stared at the screen for a while and turned off the PS4.

Me and my wife will start that new journey soon, one without Mom. But for now, I'll continue walking with my mom towards the mountain top until she enters that light.

UPDATE May 29th, 8:45am. Mom's journey has come to an end. I was with her as she entered that light. Thank you all for the thoughts,prayers and kind words and gold.

Man, my eyes got watery reading this. RIP to your mother.

Top Bottom