• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey To The Savage Planet Heading To Current-Gen Consoles Next Month

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Journey to the Savage Planet, the only title developed by Typhoon Studio in its life cycle is now getting an upgraded version for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S on February 14. The new 'Employee of the Month' edition will support 4K graphics as well as a constant 60 FPS experience (30 FPS on Xbox Series S).

Players will also receive the Hot Garbage DLC for free by purchasing this new edition. In case you already own Journey to the Savage planet on a current-gen console, your game will be upgraded to the Employee of the Month edition at no extra cost. Aside from the aforementioned features, you can expect new in-game ads, new Martin Tweed videos, and new photo mode filters and frames to capture some funny screenshots from your troublesome adventure on the planet of ARY-26.

Lunarorbit

I was wondering why I never heard of this game. There was a time not long ago where I would have known its name at least but I can't keep up with all the PS5 releases

"Originally launched back in 2020 on PC and last-gen consoles, Journey to the Savage Planet was the debut title from Typhoon Studio. Although the studio was acquired by Google in 2019, Journey to the Savage Planet was not canceled, and Google allowed the developers to continue working on their debut title and launch it with 505 Games. However, the studio never managed to release an exclusive game on Stadia as it was shut down in February 2021 by Google, almost two years before the death of Stadia."

Now it makes sense why I never heard of this. Looks like outer worlds/bioshockish

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Fun game. Played it on Game Pass last year. Never felt it needed an upgrade, but still a nice bonus for those who haven't played through it.

I was wondering why I never heard of this game. There was a time not long ago where I would have known its name at least but I can't keep up with all the PS5 releases

"Originally launched back in 2020 on PC and last-gen consoles, Journey to the Savage Planet was the debut title from Typhoon Studio. Although the studio was acquired by Google in 2019, Journey to the Savage Planet was not canceled, and Google allowed the developers to continue working on their debut title and launch it with 505 Games. However, the studio never managed to release an exclusive game on Stadia as it was shut down in February 2021 by Google, almost two years before the death of Stadia."

Now it makes sense why I never heard of this. Looks like outer worlds/bioshockish

Skill up had some nice things to say about this game, which is where I first learned about it.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
It's a fun game that mixes exploration, some Metroidvania elements, some querky jokes and good level design.

I think it flew under the radar of most gamers, despite being a pretty good game.

Lunarorbit

Skill up had some nice things to say about this game, which is where I first learned about it.

Ah. What do you think about live action videos in games? I actually really like it in control.

Not so sure about that hand animation though. It's an art design decision that 99% of the time I don't notice but when they look limp and lifeless like this it's very noticeable

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I got really far in this a year or so ago but ended up stopping. The game DESPERATELY needed a lock-on, and at that time it was supposed to be getting one in a future update. Does anyone know if that ever happened?

Literally less than 20 minutes ago I was looking at this game on PS Plus Extra and thinking that I wish it had a PS5 version. That was great timing.
I tried some of the recent space survival games, and it pushed me to buy No Mans Sky when it was on sale. Their marketing worked, helped me buy a game by giving me a similar experience for free.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Really, really enjoyed this game. If you liked Metroid Prime I believe you will this game greatly.

Was obsessed when this came out. Definitely a hidden gem.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Huh. I literally played through this game last weekend. It was short but I had a great time. Fantastic little game that reminded me a lot of Metroid Prime, except with a much more lighthearted and humorous tone.

Curious to see what will change in the next-gen version because the current gen looks and plays pretty well already. Also strange to see this getting any love from the publisher, considering that the original studio that made this game has been closed down. I'd sooner expect this game to go abandonware without the original creators around. Pleasant surprise.

I do hope the PS Plus version gets upgraded to the PS5 native version, its not a given though right?
Probably not. Usually the versions that were given away in PS Plus don't get an upgrade and you have to buy the next gen version separately.

Last edited:

Impotaku

It's a delightfully fun exploration game. I totally lose it every single time i shoot those bird enemies that split & they start hysterically screaming, hard to aim when laughhing. The spoof ads totally remind me of omega mart the quirky comedy is right up my alley.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The definitive edition of the hilarious first-person adventure game Journey to the Savage Planet! Fully optimized for new hardware, running at a snappy 60 frames per second on Ps5 and Xbox X (30 FPS on Xbox S), includes all patches, all that juicy DLC, and a few new cinematics for your viewing pleasure.

Play alone or in two-player co-op as you explore a beautiful and surprising alien world to solve the mystery that lurks at its heart before deciding whether or not to return to Earth! Four unique biomes, each with their own flora and fauna to explore. Dozens of wacky creatures to find, catalog, and photograph. A plethora of tools, weapons, and throwables let you tackle the challenges the way you want! Jet Boots! A Grapple! Acid grenades! And more! You'll laugh, you'll cheer, you'll uncover secrets, and you can do it all with your best friend!"

"In case you already own Journey to the Savage planet on a current-gen console, your game will be upgraded to the Employee of the Month edition at no extra cost."

That doesn't seem to be the case for people who "own" a PS Plus Extra subscription. Well, that sucks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom