• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joycon connection issue may be hardware related

Inotti

I don't think it's just the Joycons unfortunately, I've also had the Pro Controller lose connection completely and not work again until I put the console in and out of sleep mode. This was after it had worked perfectly for over 20 hours of Zelda, with everything set up the same way.

Uh-Oh... This really makes me nervous since it's the first time I hear people having problems with pro controller signal as well. D: I really really want Nintendo and Switch to succeed (that's why I bought it on launch day) but with quality control like this they need to step up or they will soon have lots of angry customers...

Skronk

Banned
As soon as I place the Switch behind the left corner of my TV Zelda becomes an unplayable mess which is impossible to enjoy.

So now I have to place the dock right in front of my TV obstructing the lower left corner. With this setup I have zero issues.

Really annoying setup. They should have expected people to place the dock in all kinds of position and as the right Joy Con seems to have zero issues this clearly is bad hardware design. They cannot expect you to rearrange your living room to accommodate the faulty left Joy Con...

Same thing happened to me except the Switch just fits in a shelf I have on the TV unit, just means I've got to be careful taking it out and such.

I have had trouble with this(and it was always the left one), I moved closer to the tv and that seemed to help, stopped getting disconnects then. (sitting on the carpet like I did as a kid lol)

I did have the dock lodged in my media furniture right next to my receiver. I have now moved it out. Gonna check today after work if that helps. My sofa is fairly far away from the tv though, ~3.x meters.

Enkidu

Wtf is that. Okay now I'm back to manufacturing error. Bad PCB and someone at Foxconn(?) thought he could fix it by hand?
I suspect it is intentional as it seems to show up both on the iFixit teardown and in the video in the OP. There is what appears to be an RF test point just below the soldering, likely this was used to measure the RF power in the factory to catch defective units. When doing this the antenna should ideally not be connected as the measurement will not be correct, so perhaps the antenna trace is connected by hand after the RF measurements are done.

bennibop

Some of the comments on Eurogamer and other sources are just toxic, I find it weird that people are such fanboys they would be denying this is happening or posting lies etc.
The Switch has the potential to be great but various issues people are seeing are ridiculous and in a large number compared to the usual launch day hardware fails.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I've emailed Nintendo about getting a replacement Joycon, will see what happens (UK).

Keep us posted, although my concern is if this a design/manufacturing issue another one from current stock might not be any help.

Really like to see a better response from Nintendo about it than move your aquarium.

Belker

Most likely Nintendo didn't do their due diligence with NA QS. NA hands are bigger, fatter, and we got frequency interference wverywhere.

My bold. Really interesting theory. It actually reminds me of an article on the mission to get Osama Bin Laden where one of the helicopters had issues in the compound - the author suggested it was because training in the full-scale mock compound they used chainlink fences around the perimeter, but of course the real one had solid walls. That might have affected how the helicopter handled.

It just shows how something unexpected can be overlooked, despite all tests appearing rigorous and even when working with talented, diligent people. I'm reminded of a phrase my father used before going a trip which was to 'Take a Russian second," and spend a minute or so look around a room to see if there's anything you'd forgotten to pick up.

It'd be really interesting to see the testing documents for the Switch and what internal criteria they were trying to meet.

maxmars

I have had trouble with this(and it was always the left one), I moved closer to the tv and that seemed to help, stopped getting disconnects then. (sitting on the carpet like I did as a kid lol)

I did have the dock lodged in my media furniture right next to my receiver. I have now moved it out. Gonna check today after work if that helps. My sofa is fairly far away from the tv though, ~3.x meters.

Same distance here, was able to replicate the problem only by holding left joycon behind my back, which is not how I play anyway. Moving on.

Keep us posted, although my concern is if this a design/manufacturing issue another one from current stock might not be any help.

Really like to see a better response from Nintendo about it than move your aquarium.

Will do. The only thing that gives me hope is that other people haven't had any problems and that there are some units out there without fault.

Here's my question - is there a way to register you Switch with Nintendo to make sure you're part of any replacement program?

I didn't see a registration card anywhere in the box or see anything in the OS to register online.

BriGuy

I wish I could borrow one of these allegedly "perfect" left joycons to test and see if it's my set up or where/how I hold the controller that's causing my desync issues. They're frequent enough as to be a real problem down the road. They're tolerable enough in Zelda, where I can make save files as I please, but anything requiring precision is going to be a bear.

Some of the comments on Eurogamer and other sources are just toxic, I find it weird that people are such fanboys they would be denying this is happening or posting lies etc.
The Switch has the potential to be great but various issues people are seeing are ridiculous and in a large number compared to the usual launch day hardware fails.

I mean, I've played Zelda over 20 hours and I've had zero issues with my Joy-Cons having this problem. I'm not saying it isn't happening to other people, but it could be a bad batch.

What I do have is an almost nonexistent 2G signal when my Switch is docked and in my entertainment center. 5G works and says it has 1 bar, but 2G has full bars and won't connect to anything.

thefro

If it wasn't a defect, and an actual flaw everyone would be experiencing this. There are many who aren't. Something else is up besides what the individual in the OP is describing.

To me, it seems like the vast majority of people have no issues and it's maybe 5% of people actually having problems (probably less). Otherwise these threads would be over a hundred posts considering we have thousands of Switch owners on this forum and there's thousands on the Switch Reddit.

For me at least It's not desyncing or disconnecting completely but the signal is so weak that there is huge lag and when playing Zelda, Link does not always respond the movement correctly and he could randomly just run from the cliff (this happened to me). So basically making games unplayable. :D

You can also test this by going to system settings -> controller and sensors -> calibrate controller sticks. Move the left stick and try to obstruct the signal if it still moves correctly then congratulations you were lucky at hardware lottery! :D Unfortunately I wasn't so lucky and I'm going to send my left joycon to warranty and meanwhile use my pro controller.

Did that, perfect response.

bennibop

I mean, I've played Zelda over 20 hours and I've had zero issues with my Joy-Cons having this problem. I'm not saying it isn't happening to other people, but it could be a bad batch.

What I do have is an almost nonexistent 2G signal when my Switch is docked and in my entertainment center. 5G works and says it has 1 bar, but 2G has full bars and won't connect to anything.

Its seems that is more than a bad batch, there are reported problems worldwide.

80,000 Switches sold in the UK so if 5% fail that would be 4000 faulty switches.

Turrican3

From the iFixIt teardown I see there's a flash in both JoyCons.

Maybe there's a chance Nintendo can, in fact, increase the bluetooth signal by releasing an upgraded firmware?

Please do something, Nintendo. Having to babysit my joycon while playing really sucks. If my leg gets in the way of the signal, Link runs off a cliff.

indask8

From the iFixIt teardown I see there's a flash in both JoyCons.

Maybe there's a chance Nintendo can, in fact, increase the bluetooth signal by releasing an upgraded firmware?

They can, but battery life will likely go down.

If it's really hardware related, Nintendo will have to issue a recall, send in a working joycon, then user put his faulty joycon in a return box.

Or they can be dicks and force user to send it in without a replacement and wait 2-4 weeks.

Turrican3

They can, but battery life will likely go down.
That wouldn't be an issue for me, I can totally settle for a 15-so hours battery life if that means it's only a matter of a firmware upgrade (i.e. no replacement, no hassles, nothing), considering I've barely seen the battery level indicator go down over an intense use yesterday. ^_^

Inotti

That wouldn't be an issue for me, I can totally settle for a 15-so hours battery life if that means it's only a matter of a firmware upgrade (i.e. no replacement, no hassles, nothing), considering I've barely seen the battery level indicator go down over an intense use yesterday. ^_^

I too would rather take 10-15 hours of reliable gameplay than 20 hours of dealing with abysmal signal. :D

Same. Been playing on a projector about 20 feet away from the system and I haven't had a single drop. Playing with both the grip (Zelda) and left Joycon (Bomberman) while my wife takes the right one.

Absolute bummer for the people experiencing it, though.

Me too. No issues whatsoever, and I've been playing 1-2-Switch with my kids all weekend, doing all kinds of crazy stuff with that left joycon. Never experienced even the first sync issue.

Honestly at this point I'd be ok with a "high signal mode" that reduces battery life by a couple of hours.
I think it'd make sense in a number of situations, even for people without this specific issue.

Solobbos

I think it's hardware relates too. My joycon works flawlessly even playing with two walls and my body between the joycon and the Switch.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't think it's just the Joycons unfortunately, I've also had the Pro Controller lose connection completely and not work again until I put the console in and out of sleep mode. This was after it had worked perfectly for over 20 hours of Zelda, with everything set up the same way.
I agree. I'm having issues with the Pro Controller too.

Enkidu

So this wouldn't have been as big of an issue if the joycons were symmetrical?
It depends on how they were symmetrical. It seems that they simply couldn't fit a PCB antenna in the right Joy-Con, so they had to go with another concept. If both Joy-Cons were of the "simpler" left variety they would probably both have the same PCB antenna concept.

Flintty

No issues for me and I sit around 7ft away. One question, what is the likelihood of people sitting 10-20ft away from the TV? I have a fairly large living room and can't fathom sitting further away than I do currently - I wouldn't be able to see shit.

Skulldead

Has thee been a console launch with this many hardware issues? Serious question, I don't hate the Switch.

The 360 was pretty famous for problems at launch, total disk scratch perfect circle when moving the console by a little bit or with vibration, Power supply that just stop working, AA battery that make disconnect the wireless controller all the time when you move the controller, the famous RROD. The headset they game you that plug on the controller always stop working after a couple of hour(they were super cheap). Disk crack in the middle because the console become too hot (really frequent one). There probably a couple more but i can't remember them all.

I was working in a videogame store at that time, i can't remember how many call a day i was receiving when it launch, it was insane.

The Switch look problematic too...

-shadow-

Has thee been a console launch with this many hardware issues? Serious question, I don't hate the Switch.
360 with the RROD and disc scratching? PS4 disc ejecting/Blue Light of Death? It's almost an industry standard to mess up the first batch unfortunately.

bennibop

360 with the RROD and disc scratching? PS4 disc ejecting/Blue Light of Death? It's almost an industry standard to mess up the first batch unfortunately.

PS4 fails were less than 1% I believe. From what I understand 1% is the industry standard max fail rate for a product launch

I don't have disconnection issues mid-session but when I wake the Switch only the right connects, I have to press L to get the left connecting.
Added to this, the battery drains faster on the left.
Twice now it's had a low battery warning whereas the right is still half full, both starting from 100% and both used as much as each other...

Inotti

This is so infuriating. Games are unplayable for me with the left joycon. I can't even return it because I would lose all my Zelda progress :(

Did you buy pro controller? Then you cound just send the left one to repair. I know this is infuriating and I wish Nintendo would make another official statement about this. :(

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Will do. The only thing that gives me hope is that other people haven't had any problems and that there are some units out there without fault.

Yeah, if there is a batch that are faulty Nintendo just have to say so. "A small number of joycons blahblahblah". So you know any replacement will be coming from a working batch.

The longer they take to make that statement, the more it looks like it's a fault in the design and antenna placement making it really susceptible to problems.

komaruR

Quality: There's some issue with connection issue on the joy con.
Management: if the consumer wants it so much , they should be willing to spend another 70$ for joy con 2.0.
Investor: *cross arms**nods head*

deleted

Every console launch has them. A small % of XBones scratched discs, some PS4 didn't function at all (coworker had to send 2 back, only the third one worked). 3DS had faulty hinges, there were faulty Wiimotes, RROD and YLOD during the PS360 era.

As far as I can see, we have 2 issues right now. The screen scratching dock which concerns everyone and is pretty bad and the joycon issue where it isn't entirely sure if it can be fixed via SW update and who has problems.
So it's about par for hardware launches in the last 10 years.

Top Bottom