• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joystiq: PC versions of Dark Souls, Red Faction: Guerrilla and more removing GFWL

Alric

Tpm2ZIw.gif

NICE

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It does make me wonder, if MS were to come back and try something else in regards to PC games how many companies will tell them to fuck right off ? I especially can't see the ones having to remove GFWL being too keen on being involved with any MS online service again.

Microsoft is already trying to make the Windows Store its own platform -- as much as I want the PC version of ilomilo my desire isn't strong enough such that I'm going to ditch Win7 for 8/8.1. I'd like to think that ex-Valve vet Jason Holtman is going to put an end to Microsoft's exclusivity shenanigans but unfortunately I don't think he's high-up enough to make such a sweeping change.

feel

I refuse to get excited for Dark Souls for now, seems too much of a nice pro PC gaming move considering they never bothered going back to the game and officially fixing the framerate and resolution (iirc Durante said it would be easy work for them).

I refuse to get excited for Dark Souls for now, seems too much of a nice pro PC gaming move considering they never bothered going back to the game and officially fixing the framerate and resolution.

Maybe... just maybe From Software will used this opportunity, as well their experience developing the PC version of Dark Souls II, to revisit and patch the original game? Yeah, probably not, but it's nice to dream about.

kick51

Banned
I'd be okay with this. ;)

This is why this company has been getting away with ports and re-releases for 30 years.

because every once in a while, in exchange for getting boned, the stars line up and Capcom puts out a string of classics, don't forget i know it's hard ;__;

then they start porting and messing with those classics every where and the cycle begins again

Maybesew

Did people read the article?

Namco Bandai
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon - Enhanced Edition (Exploring options, but no set plans yet.)
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (Exploring options, but no set plans yet.)

Why are we celebrating?

I'm calling it: the Dark Souls patch will bring in all the Durante upgrades like SSAO and SSAA natively, unlock 60fps without the ladder bug and convert cheese-mints and multiplayer to Steamworks.

Also Namco will send all PC players a pet unicorn which shits Platinum nuggets.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Did people read the article?

Why are we celebrating?

The article original said:

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon - Enhanced Edition (Will update, but no set plans yet.)
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (Will update, but no set plans yet.)

Which sounds way more definitive.

I guess this officially means Lost Planet Colonies is shut down on PC sometime this summer. Fuck...

I'm trying to think of where else to go. My only thoughts are the newer Tom Clancy games, but they aren't really comparable. Maybe they'll save LP2; I'm not certain, but I think it would be easier for them, either technically or politically, because it isn't cross-platform. LP2's multiplayer was never as good as LPC's, but it's still more fun than basically every other TPS to date because it retains the series' excellent animation system, along with other strategic elements. Not to mention there will be at least a few vocal outcries because people do at least know about and love the coop, even if they aren't perceptive enough to see how awesome it also is as a team deathmatch or CTF game.

Nokterian

Microsoft is already trying to make the Windows Store its own platform -- as much as I want the PC version of ilomilo my desire isn't strong enough such that I'm going to ditch Win7 for 8/8.1. I'd like to think that ex-Valve vet Jason Holtman is going to put an end to Microsoft's exclusivity shenanigans but unfortunately I don't think he's high-up enough to make such a sweeping change.

Yes there trying it but i never used it i own Win 8.1 and i am 100% at my desktop everyday and never cared about it. It showed for Skulls of the Shogun it didn't sell well at all and that's why they moved to Steam instead afterwards because well big regrets they didn't do that in the first place. I read some where that people don't download or use it from that store.

Grief.exe

I'll take the 'exploring options' from Namco. There really is only one viable option to target the largest audience with the least investment, and they are using that same implementation for Dark Souls 2.

I guess this officially means Lost Planet Colonies is shut down on PC sometime this summer. Fuck...

I'm trying to think of where else to go. My only thoughts are the newer Tom Clancy games, but they aren't really comparable. Maybe they'll save LP2; I'm not certain, but I think it would be easier for them, either technically or politically, because it isn't cross-platform. LP2's multiplayer was never as good as LPC's, but it's still more fun than basically every other TPS to date because it retains the series' excellent animation system, along with other strategic elements. Not to mention there will be at least a few vocal outcries because people do at least know about and love the coop, even if they aren't perceptive enough to see how awesome it also is as a team deathmatch or CTF game.

I honestly don't know what the differneces between Lost Planet: Extreme Condition and Lost Planet: Extreme Condition: Colonies Edition are, other than one has a ridiculously long and utterly pointless title. But the former is fully Steamworks already, while the latter has GFWL.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This is why this company has been getting away with ports and re-releases for 30 years.

because every once in a while, in exchange for getting boned, the stars line up and Capcom puts out a string of classics, don't forget i know it's hard ;__;

then they start porting and messing with those classics every where and the cycle begins again

Oh, I don't care about the games themselves in this case, just my Steam game count. Up and up and up!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
RFG got the best online multiplayer of last gen. so this is awesome news.

Fable 3 (No plans.)
Gears of War (No plans.)
Halo 2 (No plans.)
Microsoft Flight (No plans.)
Shadowrun (No plans.)
Viva Piñata (No plans.)

Microsoft come on :/

I found there is a way to play Resident Evil 5 and Lost PLanet 2 without GFWL but cant find any way to play the other ones.

Capcom please dont let them die, I never got around to play them

I'll take the 'exploring options' from Namco. There really is only one viable option to target the largest audience with the least investment, and they are using that same implementation for Dark Souls 2.

I honestly don't know what the differneces between Lost Planet: Extreme Condition and Lost Planet: Extreme Condition: Colonies Edition are, other than one has a ridiculously long and utterly pointless title. But the former is fully Steamworks already, while the latter has GFWL.

Oh right, completely forgot about EC. Thanks. They improved weapon balance and added some maps with Colonies Edition, but EC is still good. At least the game will live on in some form on PC.

Heres a list of GFWL games I own and I haven't played yet. I doubt I will get to all of them. Which should I play first.

Dark Void
Dead Rising 2
Resident Evil 5
Iron Brigade
Fable 3

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
No plans for Iron Brigade?

Doublefine goes through all the effort of getting their games ported to PC only to have them wither and die a year later?

Smart.

Grief.exe

Will removing live from dark souls kill your saves like it did for Arkham?

Depends on how they do it, but it is a real probability. There was a fix for the Arkham Save games though.

The great thing about Dark Souls is replayability, so I wouldn't mind.

Oh right, completely forgot about EC. Thanks. They improved weapon balance and added some maps with Colonies Edition, but EC is still good. At least the game will live on in some form on PC.

I'd imagine Capcom will just delist Colonies Edition from the store, I'm surprised they haven't already. There could only be two reasons to keep it up currently, greed or incompetence.

Heres a list of GFWL games I own and I haven't played yet. I doubt I will get to all of them. Which should I play first.

Dark Void
Dead Rising 2
Resident Evil 5
Iron Brigade
Fable 3

I haven't played RE5 but apparently its pretty decent.
DR2 is pretty decent as well, but I would only recommend playing in co-op as it would probably get monotonous without a friend. Not Borderlands 2 levels of monotonous of course.

No plans for Iron Brigade?

Doublefine goes through all the effort of getting their games ported to PC only to have them wither and die a year later?

Smart.

I believe Tim tweeted out that the ball was in Microsoft's court for that one. They can't touch it without approval.

How will Dark Souls even work? I'm not aware of any game hosted on Valve servers except Valve games. Otherwise the games are hosted by publisher/dev/community.

Grief.exe

How will Dark Souls even work? I'm not aware of any game hosted on Valve servers except Valve games. Otherwise the games are hosted by publisher/dev/community.

Many games use Steamworks integration for connecting and searching through servers lists, such as Rust, DayZ, etc.

Steamworks also has a P2P protocol that can be used, but Namco would need to host the servers.

Depends on how they do it, but it is a real probability. There was a fix for the Arkham Save games though.

The great thing about Dark Souls is replayability, so I wouldn't mind.

Oh I'm not precious about my saves at all, I'm thinking about Jeff Green's stream

CHC

Oh man I'm going to lose sleep over Dark Souls if we don't get some clarification soon! I have to have this shit with Steamworks, achievements and all.

Roto13

I have the vanilla Street Fighter IV on GFWL. What about that one?
And I'm curious to know what will happen to the Microsoft games like Flight and Tinker. Will they go to Steam, or have it's DRM completely removed?

The only two games in my home that use Games for Windows Live are Microsoft Flight and Flight Simulator X, because they're the only two games my husband plays.

I'm concerned about what I'm expected to do with them.

Tain

Dead Rising 2 (No plans.)
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record (No plans.)
Lost Planet 2 (No plans.)
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies Edition (No plans.)
Resident Evil 5 (No plans.)
Gears of War (No plans.)
Halo 2 (No plans.)

These are a damn shame. I think Lost Planet 2 supports LAN play, at least. Maybe others do?

ArjanN

I'd be surprised if Capcom actually switches SSF4AE 2012 away from GFWL, despite the Joystiq post. More likely it's just going to be Ultra Street Fighter IV (a paid update to SF4) that incorporates that change.

Well, not to be a dick but SF 4 Ultra will make the other versions obsolete anyway.

I am not well-versed with GFWL. is it the Windows Live deal? Is this the reason I can't launch Dark Souls after I bought it on Steam sale?

Yes, but you can probably get Dark Souls working with some tweaks. You're on windows 8 I guess?

Top Bottom