• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joystiq: PC versions of Dark Souls, Red Faction: Guerrilla and more removing GFWL

Unai

Edit: Never mind. Though the thread was new.

Interesting, so the upgrade to Ultra is not needed to get a steamworks version. imokwiththis.jpg

I'm just wondering what are they going to do with the other capcom games that use GFWL (Dead Rising, Lost Planet, etc)

I'm looking forward for Resident Evil 5.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A couple of updates:

- A few weeks ago, Resident Evil 5 was added to a new dev sub -- the game hasn't been updated in years, so the chance of this being indicative of something other than a Steamworks patch is slim to none. I assume QLOC is currently focused on getting REmake Remastered out the door, so it'll probably be a little while before we see any further activity in the registry.

- As of a couple of days ago, Iron Brigade has private Steam achievements (they're visible but not unlockable), so it too is getting the Steamworks treatment.

OmegaX

A couple of updates:

- A few weeks ago, Resident Evil 5 was added to a new dev sub -- the game hasn't been updated in years, so the chance of this being indicative of something other than a Steamworks patch is slim to none. I assume QLOC is currently focused on getting REmake Remastered out the door, so it'll probably be a little while before we see any further activity in the registry.

I hope they add the DLC that wasn't available for the PC version. I'd pay for the upgrade even though I already bought the PS3 version to get the DLC.

JaseC

I hope they add the DLC that wasn't available for the PC version. I'd pay for the upgrade even though I already bought the PS3 version to get the DLC.

If the game receives additional data depots once work is underway, we can safely assume the DLC is coming, but otherwise I wouldn't get your hopes up.

BasilZero

I hope RE5 and Dead Rising 2 (both games) get patched - really enjoyed playing all of them in the past few months and would love to play them again in the future.

Sadness to SFxTekken though....looks like Capcom is trying to forget the game :(

I might end up getting the PS3 version at this rate.

Is this still happening for Dark Souls? Because despite gfwl working fine with USFIV, it will not download my profile when attempting to play Dark Souls, rendering it completely useless.

JaseC

So Dark Souls is still unplayable? They need to hurry up, before Bloodborne I wanna visit Lordran again.

That depends on how lucky you are with GFWL. The service is still alive and even if it weren't, Dark Souls supports offline/local profiles, unlike, say, Bulletstorm.

Dark Souls never stopped working.

Certainly has done for me.
Worked fine on my old PC, other GFWL games such as USFIV work on this machine though.
With Dark Souls however, GFWL refuses to download my profile, meaning I can't save my game, making the game worthless. I've tried every suggested workaround I can find online from deleting and reinstalling GFWL to flushing DNS but nothing seems to work.

Knurek

Certainly has done for me.
Worked fine on my old PC, other GFWL games such as USFIV work on this machine though.
With Dark Souls however, GFWL refuses to download my profile, meaning I can't save my game, making the game worthless. I've tried every suggested workaround I can find online from deleting and reinstalling GFWL to flushing DNS but nothing seems to work.

Good news, as of last 15 minutes Dark Souls has Steam achievements.
Let's all hope for a relatively painless GfWL->Steamworks transition.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

HAQaINX.gif

yatesl

Will the game take my 1000/1000 achievement and turn them in to Steam?

If not, I guess I'll be playing Dark Souls instead of Lords of the Fallen this quarter.

Hurrah!
I look forward to the possibility of using the product I paid money for once again.

GFWL really was an inept, parasitic piece of digital shit.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

That's great news. It'll be interesting to see if the matchmaking works better or worse then before.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Sucks that SF x Tekken isn't being dealt with. I like to play it from time to time for the Tekken characters and GFWL is a huge PITA.

I guess you need 2 million+ sales for patch support also.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Sucks that SF x Tekken isn't being dealt with. I like to play it from time to time for the Tekken characters and GFWL is a huge PITA.

I guess you need 2 million+ sales for patch support also.

Out of all the times I tried to play SFxTK online on PC, I found one other player online. One. Guess that's what happens when you don't update the game with the console versions. It never even got all the DLC, lol.

Nabs

Out of all the times I tried to play SFxTK online on PC, I found one other player online. One. Guess that's what happens when you don't update the game with the console versions. It never even got all the DLC, lol.

I hated that online system with a passion.

At least GFWL didn't shut down back in July. For third person shooting, there's still nothing I'd rather play than Lost Planet 1-2. Still looking forward to future games that build on that formula of weighty, motion-captured animations with invulnerability frames. It's not the best analogy, but I continue to say it's the Street Fighter 3 of TPSes.

So quit saying all you give a shit about is Dark Souls, god dammit!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Will the game take my 1000/1000 achievement and turn them in to Steam?

If not, I guess I'll be playing Dark Souls instead of Lords of the Fallen this quarter.

Not unless you boot it up. And it reads the achievement file(s) before the game starts.

Capcom/Ultra Street 4 kinda did and didn't do that.

Bit concerned, I am 110hrs into my first playthrough (not completed yet). Worried that my save will be corrupted in the transition.

Parsnip

Praise the Sun!

Everyone back up your saves just in case!

Will that have any effect on the Durante mod?

It shouldn't do, assuming GFWL is all that'll be patched.

I'm going to guess that probably.
Unless I'm misremembering, previous patch broke the 30fps unlocker, because the addresses where that data is in the executable changed with the patch (or something like that). I don't know much about how g4wl is generally integrated, but it seems a fair guess that whatever they need to do to cut g4wl out will modify the executable once more.

Branson

Kinda looking forward to red faction updating. They added steam achievements a month or two ago just waiting for the full integration before diving in.

I'm going to wait until Dark Souls is confirmed to be without GFWL, then I'll be happy. I haven't been able to play that game because of that bullshit.

Arkhanor

It's been a long time since I played Red Faction: Guerrilla. I'm looking forward to this transition to steamworks and might not even care about my saves being lost in the void (it'll probably happen).

Unai

I've been waiting for such a long to time to play Dark Souls. Hopefuly the update will come soon enough.

Top Bottom