• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joystiq: PC versions of Dark Souls, Red Faction: Guerrilla and more removing GFWL

Kinda surprised that Dark Souls is being patched to remove GFWL. The PC port was rushed and kinda shoddy so I was expecting them to quietly let the game die while they move on to support DS2. Glad that's apparently not the case.

I suppose the game is still moving a couple of units, especially on sales and keeping GFWL would kill that little cash flow that comes from the game.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda surprised that Dark Souls is being patched to remove GFWL. The PC port was rushed and kinda shoddy so I was expecting them to quietly let the game die while they move on to support DS2. Glad that's apparently not the case.

Dark Souls does consistently well on the PC from what I can gather and them removing GFWL/going to Steamworks will make it a consistent seller in the future for a long time I'd think (i could be wrong!)

Grief.exe

Conservatively, Dark Souls has sold almost one million copies on PC so far. Not only that, but continues to generate quite a bit of revenue during sales.

Namco not only wants to continue this success, but open up to a wider audience that was not able to purchase GFWL games previously or refused to.

So what will happen to games that don't get a patch?
Will they be completely unplayable?

No, you will be able to play them in offline mode.

Worst case scenario, you will have to apply a crack.

Eusis

Dark Souls does consistently well on the PC from what I can gather and them removing GFWL/going to Steamworks will make it a consistent seller in the future for a long time I'd think (i could be wrong!)
It'll also likely make patching less of a pain, so they could maybe implement a built in resolution fix even if FPS gets left alone.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there an ETA on this? I might start Dark Souls after it gets removed.

Not officially, but I imagine it'll happen some time between now and July 1st. The smart thing would have been to release the Steamworks patch coincident with Dark Souls 2 being made available for pre-order, but for reasons known only to Scamco it decided to focus on Ace Combat instead.

It would be such a perfect time to fix dark souls right now so i can get some actual pvp in before 2 comes out. Sometimes I will only get a fight once every 15 minutes.

Conservatively, Dark Souls has sold almost one million copies on PC so far. Not only that, but continues to generate quite a bit of revenue during sales.

Namco not only wants to continue this success, but open up to a wider audience that was not able to purchase GFWL games previously or refused to.

Source? Last I recall it was around 300k.

Grief.exe

Thank you.
Are there any drawbacks other then no multiplayer,like for example saves or something?
Sorry but I am new to GFWL.

I wish you never had to encounter this particular piece of DRM.

Your saves will be fine, you should always keep a backup anyway as GFWL has been known to eat saves.

If they do not update Dark Souls 1 then it would cause people to worry if Dark Souls 2 will be up to snuff.

Sentenza

Given how the game keeps selling well enough to top Steam charts every time it gets a discount, it would be quite idiotic to ignore the chance to generate more long-tail sales in the years to come, especially considered that the price to pay (a couple of coders working on it for few weeks?) would be trivial compared to the potential revenues.

Sentenza

As long as they don't destroy my Dark Souls Savegames...

There are good chances it will happen, actually.
Unless some sort of recovery tool comes out, like happened for Arkham City.

And I don't even mind, actually. I would gladly take the whole thing (no more saves, new achievements, etc) as a good excuse to play the game all over again.

OrangeOak

I wish you never had to encounter this particular piece of DRM.

Your saves will be fine, you should always keep a backup anyway as GFWL has been known to eat saves.

Thanks a lot for your answers.
Funny enough I lost saves on my PC only two times and it was GFWL in both cases.
Even though I always make backups of my saves,but GFWL games must store their saves in some weird locations,at least Test Drive Ferrari Legends.

Parsnip

I'm keeping my DkS saves backed up with GameSave Manager on secondary local location and in dropbox.
So best case, I'll just have them. If they won't work, some enterprising modder will hopefully write a little tool to fix them. Or they just won't work and we are all screwed.

But I also actually wouldn't mind, I would start a fresh game either way. And then try and hold with both hands.

Not officially, but I imagine it'll happen some time between now and July 1st. The smart thing would have been to release the Steamworks patch coincident with Dark Souls 2 being made available for pre-order, but for reasons known only to Scamco it decided to focus on Ace Combat instead.
Just a guess, but if they got QLOC to do Ace Combat conversion, I imagine they have the experience needed from both G4WL and Steamworks to make that conversion relatively painless.
Since From did the DkS PC version themselves, I wonder if they would farm out the conversion to someone else.
What Bamco should do is just give that job to QLOC as well, and while they are at it they should just fix the biggest technical limitations with the game as a little bonus.

Grief.exe

There are good chances it will happen, actually.
Unless some sort of recovery tool comes out, like happened for Arkham City.

And I don't even mind, actually. I would gladly take the whole thing (no more saves, new achievements, etc) as a good excuse to play the game all over again.

But I also actually wouldn't mind, I would start a fresh game either way. And then try and hold with both hands.

I have them backed up as well, but I will probably just start fresh with a new character. Get a GAF group together for the weapon achievements.

Elija2

I've barely started playing Dark Souls so I wouldn't really mind if my save file is wiped. I just hope that the patch improves performance since the game runs pretty bad on my laptop.

Grief.exe

I've barely started playing Dark Souls so I wouldn't really mind if my save file is wiped. I just hope that the patch improves performance since the game runs pretty bad on my laptop.

Have you installed DSFix? I remember Durante saying that it actually helps with performance.

Elija2

Have you installed DSFix? I remember Durante saying that it actually helps with performance.

Yeah, I have. I've even messed with the settings in every possible way and the framerate is still terrible. My laptop isn't made for gaming but I feel like it should still be able to get close to 30fps at the lowest settings. Even though it's unlikely, I'm kinda wondering if Dark Souls 2 would run better since they're saying it's more optimized.

Coxswain

I really wish that there was just a universal patch on Microsoft's end that would convert all the GFWL stuff to Steamworks, instead of leaving everything up to individual developers to patch it out.

I mean for me it's mostly just down to Capcom potentially deciding to be a bunch of lazy dirtbags who wouldn't bother since the games were never mega-hits, but I'd be seriously bummed out if I could never play Lost Planet 2 co-op again, or if I never got to introduce another group of people to the insane goodness of Lost Planet (1) Colonies and its Akrid Hunt multiplayer mode. And there are probably a few other obscure/cult games out there that are just going to die forever because there's no real RoI on bothering to fix them.

Edit: Also, part of GFWL seems to be a check that's in place specifically to stop you from using a virtual LAN/tunneler to play LAN mode over the Internet. If I recall correctly, the games just refuse to connect if your ping goes over 20ms or some ridiculous number that's only realistically possible on an actual LAN. I think there's some dodgy looking software with a DLL injector that's supposed to get around that, but I don't think it's particularly reliable, not to mention being a huge pain in the ass to begin with.

Sentenza

So, any chance GTAIV will be patched? It's a serious question....really!.....stop laughing!

I think it will happen. As for Dark Souls, this is another game which would eventually sell for years if they patch it.
There's no use in letting it just die and fade out from digital stores; it would be leaving money on the table.
It's also worth noting that Rockstar is one of these very few companies that bothered releasing *several* patches on the same title on GFWL, despise the fact they had to pay Microsoft for it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Did Dark Souls remove GFWL yet? I have played that game only 1 once due to no save function, never touched it again.

Not yet, but Scamco adding the community stats flag to the game's Steam registry listing may suggest that it is setting such plans in motion.

MaLDo

They should update Dx10 while they are at it... it currently does not work at all without massive graphical problems. ha

What problems are you talking about? I can remember that played RFG two months ago and the game showed a lot of artifacts but after a while I can fix all of them.

If I remember correctly:

-Massive flickering like 3D stereo was activated that was fixed with a custom SLI profile in DX10.

-Lots of elements dissapear in the game when moving the camera. Was fixed unisntalling a windows update patch (KB2670838).

Havel

Just noticed that GTA IV and EFLC also have the community_visible_stats flag.

Where as all the games mentioned in the OP with 'No plans' do not.

EDIT: Curiously, the GTA games added it 12 months ago, so maybe R* have known about GFWL shutting down since then?

Not sure if this is common knowledge now or was unknown, but Dawn of War II is definitely getting GFWL removed by the looks of it (from Steam store page) -

1ypu8i.jpg

Top Bottom