• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joystiq: PC versions of Dark Souls, Red Faction: Guerrilla and more removing GFWL

Dark Void, Lost Planet, Resident Evil 5, Dirt 2 (I think Dirt 3 might have it too?), Blacklight, both OpFlashpoints, SFxT, Fable III, and Bulletstorm, which will likely hurt the most out of all of them (love that fucking game so much). Sure, I still have loads of other games, but it burns to have anything I bought just up and stop working like that.
Dark Void on Steam doesnt use gfwl

Crawl

It makes me wonder why these publishers ever though it was a good idea to use GFWL in the first place. Was it just easy to port code from xbox 360 versions? Or did they really believe PC gamers wanted this shit.

Yuuichi

Honestly, I'm not to worried about the games that don't get it removed, because I think the modding community will more than take care of it.

It makes me wonder why these publishers ever though it was a good idea to use GFWL in the first place. Was it just easy to port code from xbox 360 versions? Or did they really believe PC gamers wanted this shit.

I know capcom back then said it was easy and cheaper since they already did 360 games on live so that could be the reason.

HoosTrax

I'm guessing Viva Pinata PC is destined to be consigned to the dustbin of history? Since it was made by Rare, and I presume that, unlike other publishers, Microsoft Game Studios would have no interest in providing funding to spruce it up and put it on Steam.

(Then again -- Age of Empires II HD)

Such a shame, I bet that game still looks gloriously lush and beautiful today.

kuYuri

Are they giving us a refund? I have Dead Rising 2 and Off the records on Steam, I completed DR2 but I must play OTR (and I can't at the moment), so those games will be lost forever?

Very unlikely.

Pretty sure they have a clause in there that says they can shut down online service at their discretion.

Grief.exe

Are they giving us a refund? I have Dead Rising 2 and Off the records on Steam, I completed DR2 but I must play OTR (and I can't at the moment), so those games will be lost forever?

They will be perfectly playable. Just have to create an offline profile.

Worst case scenario you will have to use a crack to get it running without Live interfering.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I really need Bulletstorm to still be playable after July. :(

Epic said it was "discussing internally" the future of Bulletstorm months ago but there's been no update since. For the most part it seems developers/publishers are waiting for Microsoft to (finally) make a formal announcement before deciding on what to do (if anything at all).

I bought Fuel months ago and haven't even touched it yet and don't plan to until next year. I guess that one was probably a waste of money. :-(

As Grief said, worst case scenario, you'll have to use a crack.

That helps with half my problem (being able to still play Bulletstorm again myself) but not the other half (sending new people gift copies of Bulletstorm so they don't think I'm a psycho when I say things like "I will kill your dick!")

Epic said it was "discussing internally" the future of Bulletstorm months ago but there's been no update since. For the most part it seems developers/publishers are waiting for Microsoft to (finally) make a formal announcement before deciding on what to do (if anything at all).

Microsoft has just denied they were shutting it down, right?

NEO0MJ

So I still have a boxed version of Dark Souls for PC, how will it work? If I don't use the code inside will I lose the game?

So if you don't make an offline profile, what happens? I might avoid making one just to raise a fuss to MS PR later if they don't fix things up.

So if you don't make an offline profile, what happens? I might avoid making one just to raise a fuss to MS PR later if they don't fix things up.

Supposedly, since you can't sign into the online profile anymore, any games saved under it will be inaccessible (since saves are separated by account).

Does anyone have experience in moving the saves from one profile to another, or is it really just locked down tight?

moniker

Might be nothing but ...

Three days ago steamdb's Dark Souls page was updated with this:

• Added community_visible_stats – 1
  • Changed changenumber – 385497 › 422810

And if you check the community page, there a link to global achievements, though it currently just takes you back to the Steam Community start page.

darksoulsccjsc.png

Unai

Might be nothing but ...

And if you check the community page, there a link to global achievements, though it currently just takes you back to the Steam Community start page.

Great! I want to play Dark Souls before Dark Souls 2, but I'm waiting the GfWL dilemma.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I would love for Dark Souls to switch over before DS2. I've been thinking of doing some more playthroughs and that would be an incredible incentive.

Sentenza

Would removing GFWL improve the framerate drops in DS?
Hard to tell, as it's not like the game is very demanding by itself.
That definitely helped Arkham City, by the way. 5 or 6 more frames per seconds, according to some Gaffers.

Might be nothing but ...

Definitely NOT nothing. I think it's a safe bet to say that they are working on it, at this point.

BigDug13

I'm glad they're working on it. I had a lot of problems summoning people with constant failures. I have to assume that's GFWL since I have no problems doing the same thing on PS3 souls games.

epmode

Hard to tell, as it's not like the game is very demanding by itself.
That definitely helped Arkham City, by the way. 5 or 6 more frames per seconds, according to some Gaffers.

And people said I was crazy when I reported that my online GFWL profile was dropping frames in Dirt 3 versus an offline profile. GFWL is such a pile.

JaseC

Microsoft has just denied they were shutting it down, right?

Well, not exactly... it just hasn't commented on the AoE Online snafu.

Edit: I posted the Dark Souls app update in the Steam thread a few days ago but forgot to bump this thread. Oops!

JaseC

So do we know if Microsoft is keeping the key servers alive so we can still play single player games?

Credit where credit is due, it's actually possible to play GFWL games without ever connecting to the GFWL service, including for activation purposes, if you're happy to use an offline (local) profile:

Do users have to create a LIVE account to play a Games for Windows — LIVE game?

No, you can play offline without ever connecting to Microsoft or creating a LIVE profile. Games for Windows — LIVE supports the creation and use of an offline “local” profile that exists only on the user’s computer. This account will let you play the single player portions of the game, but the user will not be able to play multiplayer, gain achievements, or take advantage of the other LIVE features. However, Microsoft strongly recommends that users who wish to play offline create an online account and then use that account to log in “offline.” This makes the end-user experience better, since it ensures that saved games, purchasing /downloading add-on content for the game, and keeping the account across Xbox LIVE, Games for Windows – LIVE, and Xbox LIVE on Windows Phone remains consistent.

Do you need to activate to play when using an offline account?

No, if you create and sign in with an offline account, the Games for Windows — LIVE service is not contacted and therefore no activation or Internet connection is required.

But of course, there's a catch:

What's the disadvantage of using an offline account?

You will not be able to play multiplayer, purchase or use game add-on content, and your saved games may not work from one computer to the next. Game add-ons, multiplayer, leaderboards, and other online features of a game require an online account. If you decide to later switch to an online account, please be aware that your game saves probably won’t transfer as they are typically tied to the active profile.

If you wish to remain disconnected while playing games, we recommend you create an online account but simply play the game with that profile without connecting so no Internet traffic is used.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I would love to see Red Faction Guerilla get patched to remove GFWL (and they have said they will) and to hopefully see its multiplayer live again. That was so much damn fun when I played it on the 360.

Elija2

Kinda surprised that Dark Souls is being patched to remove GFWL. The PC port was rushed and kinda shoddy so I was expecting them to quietly let the game die while they move on to support DS2. Glad that's apparently not the case.

Top Bottom