• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joystiq: PC versions of Dark Souls, Red Faction: Guerrilla and more removing GFWL

S0N0S

I wanted to buy Dark Souls tomorrow.... now i think i should wait.... but how long?

Buy it sooner, rather than later, after Dark Souls 2 is released. You still have plenty of time to finish it before March, and at any price, Dark Souls is not a waste. Just bring a controller. Also, the best price I can find for Dark Souls:ptD (steam code) is at Gamefanshop for half-price($15). Direct link or my affiliate link(if you're feeling generous).

And don't forget to turn off in-game AA if you use DSfix.

I am not well-versed with GFWL. is it the Windows Live deal? Is this the reason I can't launch Dark Souls after I bought it on Steam sale?

Using Windows 8? Windows 8 doesn't like Dark Souls or GFWL very much. I think there's a fix though. If that doesn't apply to you, check this steam post.

Stop exploring options and set those plans, goddammit!

Though, I'm sure it's all hands on deck for Dark Souls 2 right now, so I'll cut them some slack. FROM, you should have listened when we warned you! NO GFWL!!!

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
7aY7VH2.gif

The one drawback to this (unless I'm wrong, which I hope I am)... didn't that method that let you play/prefer people on your friends list for Dark Souls PC rely on the GFWL ip pools?

This so awesome, I have the PC version for a long time and never actually got to play it because it required that stupid shit for saving.

Orayn

The one drawback to this (unless I'm wrong, which I hope I am)... didn't that method that let you play/prefer people on your friends list for Dark Souls PC rely on the GFWL ip pools?

Yeah, but at the cost of normal connectivity being a trainwreck. If they implement a new system that cuts down on all the SUMMONING FAILED, I'll consider it a net positive.

ChronoX

So exactly what does shutting down Games For Windows Live mean for the games that use the service? Are they totally unplayable if bought after the shutdown occurs? There are many games on that list I would love to play like Viva Pinata and Halo 2 etc. I'm lost here.

Thanks for the feedback.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Microsoft and Capcom still shitting on their customers. News at 6.

Micorosft situation is worse like for an example they don't even sell Fable 3 keys anymore. it look like they just don't even want anything to do with their GFWL games and don't want to bother even selling these game.

So exactly what does shutting down Games For Windows Live mean for the games that use the service? Are they totally unplayable if bought after the shutdown occurs? There are many games on that list I would love to play like Viva Pinata and Halo 2 etc. I'm lost here.

Thanks for the feedback.

you can still play them in offline mode. but multiplayer is gone.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Thanks for the feedback.

No one knows. No new games will be able to be activated, meaning anything with activation DRM is toast. Some games require you to sign in to access your saves -- no one knows if sign-ins will still be possible, meaning your saves might be toast. Some games let you play not signed in. Multiplayer will stop working for all games, 100%. If games still work, you might still be able to earn achievements or you might not. Leaderboards might still exist, they might not. No one knows.

I wouldn't buy a game a week before hand hoping to play through it, anyway.

Viva Pinata is no longer available digitally at all, but I guess you could still find it on a disc.

Lain

I wonder, will FROM take the time to not only remove GFWL, but also implement Durante's fixes as baseline to the game?

On one hand, I'm not sure it's fair to force developers to be completely forward-compatible for issues that develop years after they released some of these titles. That could be a slippery slope of sorts, they can't maintain old codebases forever.

On the other hand, I kind of want Valve to put their foot down on Capcom, and say, "You need to fix this, or we yank these games off our store." And Capcom will say, "Well, we'll just go to... Impulse?"

And Valve will laugh.

I wonder, will FROM take the time to not only remove GFWL, but also implement Durante's fixes as baseline to the game?

I think you know the answer to that.

Tagyhag

I really wish Fallout 3 and New Vegas had Steam workshop support.

Maybe I'll be lucky, but it probably won't happen.

rjc571

Banned
I'm going to rage hard if Fuel doesn't get patched. It relies on GFWL to save your progress, so if they don't do anything one of the all-time greatest racing games will essentally be lost forever.

PaulLFC

Capcom are a joke.

Very poor by MS too to not fix compatibility of ťheir games caused by shutting down their own service. Then again, just shows MS' level of support for PC gaming.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Capcom are a joke.

Very poor by MS too to not fix compatibility of ťheir games caused by shutting down their own service. Then again, just shows MS' level of support for PC gaming.

"No plans" is a fairly standard PR response so I would take it with a grain of salt. There's a small hint that Age of Empires Online may be getting full Steamworks integration (and MS Flight may be returning as a paid game) so Steamworks-related things could very well be afoot at MS.

Brannon

Maybe if enough games get it removed, some enterprising coders will see the difference between the pre and post-GFWL games and engineer a workaround for the others.

Dreams.

Red Faction: Guerrilla (Will strip GFWL. May replace with an existing service or develop its own.)

Would they even know what they're doing? I mean, not even regarding the ridiculous idea that they'd develop their own online service but since Volition is owned Deep Silver, I doubt Nordic Games would have anyone experienced with the code base to actually work on it.

NoPiece

Anyone know if it is possible to get the Microsoft Flight DLC to download? I bought it on Steam during the Summer 2012 sale, and was trying to get it working before Microsoft shuts it down completely. I have the base game installed, and it says I can download the DLC through the GFW Marketplace client, but the client just gives a connection error when I try to launch it (I assume it is shut down).

Decision to not buy Lost Planet 1 & 2 in the last steam sale - Vindicated. Now I just need to look at the other 10 corpses in waiting in my steam library.

Dead Rising 2 (No plans.)
Lost Planet 2 (No plans.)
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies Edition (No plans.)
Resident Evil 5 (No plans.)
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (No plans.)
Fable 3 (No plans.)

GODDAMNIT!!

Mechazawa

YES. HOLY SHIT. Does this mean Guerrilla multiplayer lives on?

THANK YOU BASED NORDIC GAMES.

Would they even know what they're doing? I mean, not even regarding the ridiculous idea that they'd develop their own online service but since Volition is owned Deep Silver, I doubt Nordic Games would have anyone experienced with the code base to actually work on it.

Reactor Zero handled the PC port. Assuming they're still around, I could picture Nordic contacting them about it.

Edit: WAIT, SHIT, NO MORE LOST PLANET 2 COOP POSING.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Capcom are a joke.

Kind of makes you wonder what's going to happen if the whole XBox thing doesn't work out.

Durante

That's good and unexpected news about Dark Souls. However, I'm quite sure removing GFWL will boil down to disabling online, not implementing a replacement (e.g. based on Steam). While that is better than nothing, the game will still lose a lot of its character that way.

These are a damn shame. I think Lost Planet 2 supports LAN play, at least. Maybe others do?
LP2 is really the one game on the "no plans" list I'll miss the most. It's a fantastic co-op title, one of the best of this past generation.

Eusis

It's important to remember that "no plans" can mean "no plans we want to tell you right now", we've had games where they go "no plans" in interviews only to actually announce the game a few days later (Catherine notably I believe.)

... With that said, that seems like a weirdass policy to take to removing DRM. They may just be looking into it and don't want to comment on stuff just yet, but the deadline's drawing near and it's frustrating how many games that piece of shit may take out with it.

Eusis

You guys need to remember that IS his work, even if he gave permission they may rather solve things on their end to avoid potential problems and likely make it work smoother anyway, IE actually picking your damn resolution within the game like any normal game rather than playing with a text file (or finding a program to mess with that text file for you.)

Still, it's the end result we want, so hopefully they're aware of how well received that was and at least get some resolution updates in. I imagine FPS requires a lot more work unfortunately.

Top Bottom